Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Don't think this will be much good but I'm already enjoying seeing what i liked in Rogue One, a star wars aesthetic used outside of the epic space opera context. Star destroyers and imperial uniforms and poo poo are really sharp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
At least it looks like it's doing some different stuff, I'm liking the shots of the star destroyer and the dancer in gold.

Fully did not recognise Emilia Clarke.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

exmarx posted:

Fully did not recognise Emilia Clarke.

I always forget she's not actually a platinum blonde

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
wanna see that droid

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Hm, so they really are going full origin story. I love the new ship designs, especially the landspeeders

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Full Solo trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNW0B0HsvVs

Harrelson is so wooden.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Timby posted:

Full Solo trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNW0B0HsvVs

Harrelson is so wooden.

He's not fully wooden....just a little....Woody

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's not really a very interesting trailer. The absolute best that can be hoped for is probably that it's messy but entertaining with maybe one or two standout performances.

It will probably perform relatively poorly as well; not that it matters as much for Disney, who can set off its losses against Black Panther, Avengers, Incredibles 2 etc., but somebody's head at Lucasfilm will probably roll.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I like what I see.

I like what I see, a lot.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
He isn't good looking enough to be a smug idiot and still likeable.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
So I guess Hand Solo has always been a hero or something? I assumed he was a scoundrel drug dealer before he was trying to get with Leia.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That was ok. Needs more Lando.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

UmOk posted:

So I guess Hand Solo has always been a hero or something? I assumed he was a scoundrel drug dealer before he was trying to get with Leia.

He's a Good Guy. This is a special mutation belonging only to a chosen few.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

sassassin posted:

He's a Good Guy. This is a special mutation belonging only to a chosen few.

I hope it’s trailer misdirection and in the movie he shoots first every single time.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I got no Han vibes from this dude which is damning as hell. There's no charisma there at all, where Harrison Ford had it in spades. Emilia Clarke is atrocious in everything, Donald Glover is usually good and could pull off Lando with good direction and material so hopeful on that front.

I'll wait for home video for this.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah there seems to be a reason that the teaser trailer did everything it could to not actually show us New Han's face

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

That bubbling synth is pretty novel for a Star Wars movie, I hope the soundtrack's along those lines

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/960521139884707841

New teaser posters

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Obviously they should have gotten Sean Patrick Flanery to play Han Solo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why is Disney putting this up against Avengers? They could easily have pushed it to December since they've done annual releases up to now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Steve2911 posted:

Why is Disney putting this up against Avengers? They could easily have pushed it to December since they've done annual releases up to now.

It's three weeks after Avengers, a week after Deadpool and a fortnight before Incredibles 2.

December has Aquaman, Mary Poppins 2 and some others I've forgotten. I don't think there's really many months this year where they could put it and get a clear shot without much competition.

I've joked about it bombing; it might it and it might not; but I don't see it doing "well".

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

'cos this is DOA regardless.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I thought the music was kind of cool in that it wasn't traditional Star Wars music, and it looked like it has Sana Starros from the star Wars comic in it, and looks like more Maz. So that's all cool.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Josuke Higashikata posted:

'cos this is DOA regardless.

Sure, they're expecting it to bomb, aren't they?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
This is a Star Wars film. It's gonna do gangbusters regardless. Prolly not billion dollar numbers, but it's still gonna turn a tidy profit

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

This is a Star Wars film. It's gonna do gangbusters regardless. Prolly not billion dollar numbers, but it's still gonna turn a tidy profit

This movie probably cost about twice as much as a lot of the other ones if the reports of how much they had to reshoot are accurate, though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kathleen Kennedy has a Kathleen Kennedy fetish.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/heathdwilliams/status/960521356969422848

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/960522237269831680

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Vintersorg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg_FoEy8T_A

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, the few seconds of Donald Glover have been my favorite part of either trailer.

I haven't really seen anything to make me think movie is going to be bad, but I haven't seen much to excite me either, and these trailers didn't really change that. Rogue One I was unsure about until the first trailer, but the trailers for that just nailed the tone of the movie and immediately sold me on it. Whereas with this, the teaser felt like it was going for a Rogue One vibe, the trailer feels like a Marvel movie, and overall it just seems kind of...there? That's not how I was hoping to feel about a Star Wars movie, though I'm open to being surprised when the movie comes out. And I'm not caring for what we've seen of Alden Ehrenreich's performance.

edit:

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 5, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I am biased because I'm a sucker for the 70s styling, but I think those might be my favorite Star Wars posters since the 80s.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Donald Glover is my only hope for this movie.

Serf
May 5, 2011

with someone as good as Donald Glover they should have just made a Lando movie

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Serf posted:

with someone as good as Donald Glover they should have just made a Lando movie

Give Disney enough money for making Solo and THEY JUST MIGHT.

Star Wars fans are too negative though, so this could bomb even if it's just an OK movie and Disney will just burn the whole idea to the ground.

Then we'll hopefully get an Obi Wan Kenobi movie in the style of Trainspotting starring Ewan McGregor.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Yeah they really should have pivoted while redoing most of the movie and just made Lando. And yes the gold dice are in the trailer

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Donald Glover is my only hope for this movie.

Same. Whoever is Solo looks bland and dim and has nowhere near the amount of charisma you need to play a young version of Harrison Ford.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Loved the trailer. Really excited for this movie and excited that it's coming out in May. I like that Solo might not be as charismatic in this one. This is suppose to be a Solo that is inexperienced and arrogant. He is much younger then in the original trilogy.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Yeah, it's good that Han Solo sucks in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Young Chewie is just so bland.

Joonas Suotamo doesn't have the same Wookiee charisma as Peter Mayhew. He isn't lanky enough to be a walking carpet and still likeable.

They shoulda got Matthew McGrory.