Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Tips should be split evenly by all the workers at a business (minus management obvs)

That waitress they quoted sounds like a giant bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

Jimbozig posted:

Not to defend the keg, but the employees say "people who are getting paid more than me" but there are never any examples given. In reading the article, I can't tell if they are talking about people who actually get paid more after tips or if they are talking about people doing hosting or bussing or whatever and who are probably making like $2/hr more before tips and certainly making far less once tips are factored in.

Like, who are these highly paid restaurant employees who are receiving tip outs from the servers? Management is absolutely not supposed to, but if that was what was going on then they surely would have said so. So then who? Who is making more than servers (after tips) and then getting tip outs on top of that? Dishwashers? Kitchen staff? Doesn't seem likely... But maybe I'm missing some class of people getting rich working at the keg.

"to people who sometimes mess up [customer's] food"

In many (most? all?) provinces non-tipped staff have marginally higher base wages. Besides fancy chefs, none of them make more than wait staff.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

just another posted:

Just got back from Vancouver. It's the most boring parts of Toronto but with mountains, and Richmond is a North Yorkier North York.

Best place on earth my rear end.

At least UBC and Gastown were nice.

In conclusion, urban Canada is not a land of contrasts.

Cool story, don't come back, also lmao at using Richmond as any kind of judge for the region

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

A Typical Goon posted:

Tips should be split evenly by all the workers at a business (minus management obvs)

That's basically communism. Are you a communist

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

A Typical Goon posted:

agreed

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

A Typical Goon posted:

That's terrible, they should be allocated by how hard they work eg. a larger percentage of tips at the keg should go to the guy running the microwave, that guy goes non stop all night

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Microwave guy makes some good scallops neptune, he deserves his tips.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Abolish tipping

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Helsing posted:

Abolish tipping

Wow you radical commie.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

"to people who sometimes mess up [customer's] food"

In many (most? all?) provinces non-tipped staff have marginally higher base wages. Besides fancy chefs, none of them make more than wait staff.

I used to work back of house at a pub when I was in university. Front of house made way, way more than us.

Anyway, I don't see why restaurants can't just pay their staff a living wage. Restaurants in France do it and somehow the food & beverage industry there manages to survive.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...rticle37851092/

Ontario PC membership tally actually one-third lower, could fall even further after probe

quote:

The Ontario Progressive Conservative Party has one-third fewer members than former leader Patrick Brown had claimed and, in the runup to a leadership race, its ranks could shrink even further once a probe into every name and address on the membership list is complete.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Helsing posted:

Abolish tipping

also true

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

The Butcher posted:

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Richmond is going to be reclaimed by the Sea anyway.

*checks watch*

Aaaaaaaaany day now....

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
On one hand, this is sad.

On the other hand, Sarah Thomson.

https://twitter.com/680NEWS/status/960522946396778496

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
You've got to be kidding me. Paikan? And from her?

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 5, 2018

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
This seems much more efficient

quote:

The Trudeau government is poised to introduce legislation this week to overhaul the way the federal government does environmental assessments on major energy projects like pipelines.

Environment Minister Catherine McKenna is to table a bill in coming days to enact the Impact Assessment Act and the Canadian Energy Regulator Act, as well as amend the Navigation Protection Act. Fisheries Minister Dominic LeBlanc is to table a second bill to amend the Fisheries Act.

Instead of three separate bodies reviewing a designated project like a pipeline, the government is expected to create a single agency to assess the environmental and economic impacts of a project along with social and health impacts. That single agency would also co-ordinate consultations with Indigenous people.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-pipelines-environment-rivers-1.4519461

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

This seems much more efficient

The cynic in me says it’s a great way to streamline approvals that much quicker and makes it more likely they’ll get approved in the first place.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

The cynic in me says it’s a great way to streamline approvals that much quicker and makes it more likely they’ll get approved in the first place.

In practice it will most likely mean that instead of environmental experts doing environmental assessments, economic experts doing economic assessments, and public health experts doing public health assessments, and then making a decision based on all three considerations, economic experts will do all three and then make the decision based purely on economic assessments.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah, more pipelines good, am I right :jerkbag:

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Who is Sarah Thomson? I mean, I can and have googled who she is, but why are people saying "her??" What's her deal?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Jimbozig posted:

Who is Sarah Thomson? I mean, I can and have googled who she is, but why are people saying "her??" What's her deal?

I may have come off a bit more dismissive than I should have, in the spirit of trusting that accusers have some level of credibility, especially when the organization says it's looking into it, but Thomson is just kinda weird. There was a big issue in 2013/2014 when she accused Rob Ford of similar things and, if I recall correctly, she also claimed to have the crack tape at one point, or implied as much, but then didn't.

TVO is looking into the Paikin thing, and it sucks that he's in this spotlight now, if only because I thought he was generally pretty good, but I don't know, this one just feels a little off to me.

I reserve the right to be wrong. It's possible Paikin did say or do inappropriate things even if Sarah Thomson is kinda weird. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 5, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is it possible to both believe in the innocence of the accused and the words of the accuser?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Leofish posted:

TVO is looking into the Paikin thing
Pictured: Investigative journalism on TVO

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is it possible to both believe in the innocence of the accused and the words of the accuser?

Basically “I believe you feel like this happened” even if it didn’t.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

CLAM DOWN posted:

Cool story, don't come back, also lmao at using Richmond as any kind of judge for the region

richmond is just a storage facility for chinese mining executives surplus houses

the dyke trail is pretty in the summer tho

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

richmond is just a storage facility for chinese mining executives surplus houses

the dyke trail is pretty in the summer tho

The only part of Richmond I like is the dyke/beach/walking area out by Iona Beach

and I guess Steveston has some good seafood restaurants

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CLAM DOWN posted:

The only part of Richmond I like is the dyke/beach/walking area out by Iona Beach

and I guess Steveston has some good seafood restaurants

Daiso?

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Leofish posted:

I may have come off a bit more dismissive than I should have, in the spirit of trusting that accusers have some level of credibility, especially when the organization says it's looking into it, but Thomson is just kinda weird. There was a big issue in 2013/2014 when she accused Rob Ford of similar things and, if I recall correctly, she also claimed to have the crack tape at one point, or implied as much, but then didn't.

TVO is looking into the Paikin thing, and it sucks that he's in this spotlight now, if only because I thought he was generally pretty good, but I don't know, this one just feels a little off to me.

I reserve the right to be wrong. It's possible Paikin did say or do inappropriate things even if Sarah Thomson is kinda weird. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Shes always seemed a bit unstable to say the least.

This is someone who jokingly offered to sleep with Conrad Black in order to get an interview. If thats not sexually inappropriate I dont know what is.

According to Thomson 10 years ago at a lunch date Paikan asked if she wanted to sleep with him. If this did even happen like she is saying I'm not even sure what the complaint is. Were they working together? Or does she feels its harassment because she was a former guest on his show?

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 5, 2018

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

patonthebach posted:

Shes always seemed a bit unstable to say the least.

This is someone who jokingly offered to sleep with Conrad Black in order to get an interview. If thats not sexually inappropriate I dont know what is.

According to Thomson 10 years ago at a lunch date Paikan asked if she wanted to sleep with him. If this did even happen like she is saying I'm not even sure what the complaint is. Were they working together? Or does she feels its harassment because she was a former guest on his show?

She just wants attention, stop giving it too her. This is the only time I'd say this in this type of situation about the person involved.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

daiso is good but aberdeen is so bad it negates daiso

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

oh yeah iona is a great place to go for a walk on a summer night

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
* in extremely Jason Bateman voice *

Her?

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Why nationwide bilingualism?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Preen Dog posted:

Because Trudeau

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Preen Dog posted:

That's an odd question. Elaborate on why you're asking? Are you familiar with Canada's history?

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Always wondered why it's the whole country, and not just Que/Ont. Looked on Wikipedia and best answer I could come up with was terrorist concession.

e. Total troll question but also genuinely curious how it happened.

Preen Dog fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 5, 2018

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Preen Dog posted:

Always wondered why it's the whole country, and not just Que/Ont.

There are various distinctions in application across different provinces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
This boushie trial is getting heated this week. Apparently the court is full of stanley supporters today and a busload of colten people outside. Stanley is going to take the stand at some point. Defence's case this morning is basically home invasion against terrified old man by drunk vandalizing thieving gang gone wrong because of a freak accident hangfire.

https://twitter.com/CBCOlivia/status/960544980883435520

https://twitter.com/Jarv_Stewart/status/960589437980692480

https://twitter.com/johcanada1/status/960588261088419840