Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

el oso posted:

Geez, 9S with a spear is a total wrecking ball.

One weird trick to beat Route B when you get sick of hacking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Machines hate this!

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

2house2fly posted:

I stayed up late to get the true ending as well. It's the traditional thing to do, I feel, when you're playing a really good game to beat it really late at night

I feel like that's the ideal condition for playing this game. At night, when I'm alone, it's quiet, there's no distractions, and I'm tired from the day and not thinking too hard, it's easy to really get into it. Then there's that extra push towards the end of the game that we've all done before and it's not really worth it a lot of the time, except this time the payoff is possibly the best ending in video games. It's immensely satisfying.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

2house2fly posted:

There was some stage play or whatever that was meant to take place post-game where one character said something about how even androids will wither and die eventually, though now that I think about it that was in the script and not the actual play, in order to troll people, and I'm not generally inclined to pay much need to sources outside the game itself anyway

As mentioned even the games are an unreliable indicator what will happen in the grand scheme of the drakenier plot. Absolutely anything is possible

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nina posted:

As mentioned even the games are an unreliable indicator what will happen in the grand scheme of the drakenier plot. Absolutely anything is possible

And then, with the original Gestalt dead, humanity slowly decayed, marching towards total extinction.

Then some aliens showed up blowing poo poo up with robots, and in order to fight monsters we built monsters of our own.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I feel so much regret upon defeating emil

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's ok, to find peace first we must experience hardship. Stay the course.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
I just started Drakengard 3 and wow. After the tragedy of Nier, I totally didn't expect this to be a raunchy comedy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hikaki posted:

I just started Drakengard 3 and wow. After the tragedy of Nier, I totally didn't expect this to be a raunchy comedy.

In interviews Taro has said he wants each of his games to feel different. You're just seeing that philosophy in action.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Drakengard 3 is a bad game and is also incredible.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I may be entirely wrong but regarding whether the androids would possibly return, the weapon story for the Emil heads mention seeing an android and its dated some years after the events of the game. So we mightn't see them again but they're probably around. Unless I'm wrong as poo poo in which case disregard me.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I mean drug gals, oasis gal and data gathering boy are just fine by the end of everything iirc

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nina posted:

I mean drug gals, oasis gal and data gathering boy are just fine by the end of everything iirc

Except that the Pods declare the entirety of YoRHa DOA before the ending E credits scene. Sounds like they karked it, one way or another.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Then again they could be considered deserters. "You two are the last of YoRHa" comes in earlier and they're still all fine

I believe in my druggie gals

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

There are way more androids than just YorHa and they’re mostly fine by the end of the game.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

Know Such Peace posted:

Drakengard 3 is a bad game and is also incredible.

Actually it's good.

Mr. Taro, in his infinite wisdom, has taught me what it truly means to be human, and also that the bigger a tent I can pitch, the more pure of heart I am.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Hikaki posted:

Actually it's good.

Mr. Taro, in his infinite wisdom, has taught me what it truly means to be human, and also that the bigger a tent I can pitch, the more pure of heart I am.
No, it's legitimately a bad game. The story is worthwhile though.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

RanKizama posted:

No, it's legitimately a bad game. The story is worthwhile though.

Besides the horrific slowdown I wouldn't say that it's any worse than Nier 1. In that sense, it is bad but my expectations were met.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Somehow several weeks after finishing the game Song Of The Ancients-Atonement grew on me out of nowhere and now I can't stop listening to it

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Hikaki posted:

Besides the horrific slowdown I wouldn't say that it's any worse than Nier 1. In that sense, it is bad but my expectations were met.

Nier is like the most effort Taro put into writing. DoD3 is kind of a trainwreck as amusing as it can be

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Nina posted:

Nier is like the most effort Taro put into writing. DoD3 is kind of a trainwreck as amusing as it can be

Man, remember how Four got a lot of fans despite Zero stating people like her put on airs and can't be trusted? And that Yoko Taro had to release a DLC to show Four was a xenophobic genocidal rear end in a top hat to hammer the fact home? ...And that people STILL missed the goddamn point of it all. :v:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I see nothing wrong with liking genocidal assholes in a series like Drakengard

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
I just got this game. What should I do first?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Two Feet From Bread posted:

I just got this game. What should I do first?

Run the .exe

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Move the camera down and point it upwards.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

Nina posted:

I thought we were talking about the gameplay.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hikaki posted:

Nah, Nier 1 distracted from its bad combat by mixing things up regularly with neat gimmicks and cool boss battles. Drakengard 3 is just an absurdly choppy hack n slash slog. It's a lot uglier than Nier 1 too.
Of course, ugly hack n slash slog is what Drakengard 1 was too. It was always the writing that made it stand out.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
I’m just happy I got to know Mikhail and Mikhail’s wonderful singing talent.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Drakengard 3 is an experience. Again, I hope Yoko Taro's next endeavor is a polished Drakengard game or something with similar writing because people will be very confused.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

Augus posted:

Nah, Nier 1 distracted from its bad combat by mixing things up regularly with neat gimmicks and cool boss battles. Drakengard 3 is just an absurdly choppy hack n slash slog. It's a lot uglier than Nier 1 too.
Of course, ugly hack n slash slog is what Drakengard 1 was too. It was always the writing that made it stand out.

I actually like D3's combat better. It's faster, combos are longer, and the dash is much better. Doing 100 berserker barrages in a row in Intoner mode is satisfying. Nier's got the fist though which is pretty great.

I don't think I'd necessarily call D3 uglier, maybe just more generic.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I really wish I hadn't dismissed the game as some stupid anime crap when it came out. I just did the first 3 playthroughs and it's easily one of the best games I've ever played.

Apparently this game has 26 endings? I assume most of those are joke/failure endings. Is it possible to get the same ending twice? I want to play through again but I don't want to accidentally just get the same outcome I got last time.

If it's possible to get an ending where 2B lives and everything is just peachy and I'm not left with a pit of existential dread in my chest after playing feel free to spoiler me on how.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I really wish I hadn't dismissed the game as some stupid anime crap when it came out. I just did the first 3 playthroughs and it's easily one of the best games I've ever played.

Apparently this game has 26 endings? I assume most of those are joke/failure endings. Is it possible to get the same ending twice? I want to play through again but I don't want to accidentally just get the same outcome I got last time.

If it's possible to get an ending where 2B lives and everything is just peachy and I'm not left with a pit of existential dread in my chest after playing feel free to spoiler me on how.

It is. Stop playing after Ending A :getin:

Most endings are joke endings. A through E are the real ones, so you're pretty close to getting 'em all.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's really only two endings at least as in "mutually exclusive end states for the entire story". A and B are the same ending from different angles, and mark the midpoint of the story, while C and D are different events based on your final choice, and E clearly leads on from D, so really the ending paths are C/D&E and yeah, the rest of the endings are basically non-standard game over screens

As opposed to Drakengard, say, where ending A can't coexist with ending B, C, D, and who the gently caress's idea was E

By the way, you don't have to play through the game again to see a different ending. You've got chapter select now (and you worked so hard to get it!) so just load up the very final chapter and make a different choice to the one you made previously

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

There is that one ending where 2B spends her days fishing....

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

2house2fly posted:

There's really only two endings at least as in "mutually exclusive end states for the entire story". A and B are the same ending from different angles, and mark the midpoint of the story, while C and D are different events based on your final choice, and E clearly leads on from D, so really the ending paths are C/D&E and yeah, the rest of the endings are basically non-standard game over screens

As opposed to Drakengard, say, where ending A can't coexist with ending B, C, D, and who the gently caress's idea was E

By the way, you don't have to play through the game again to see a different ending. You've got chapter select now (and you worked so hard to get it!) so just load up the very final chapter and make a different choice to the one you made previously

I assume C is the entirety of the third play through up until you're asked to pick A2 or 9S and D&E are how each choice plays out?

This is one of the strangest game experiences I've had. I didn't have much fun playing it at all. After the first few hours of trying to get good at the combat I decided to just switch it onto easy and watch the show. After the first few collect missions I just cheated myself up a full stack of every crafting material.
Does anything else in the game besides the endings play out differently based on any choices you make? For example if I reject a quest or play on a different difficulty setting? I really hope so - I'm going to be really disappointed if I've already done pretty much everything except select one different option.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I misread ur post. Yeah there's a thing to get.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 2, 2018

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
There is one ending and story-heavy side quest you can only get by upgrading all the weapons to max.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I finally did the final sidequests and DLC today to make space for other games in my backlog and I still can't believe that Taro is REWARDING completionists now

When that random pipe accessible by boost-jumping off a slanted building led to a completely new area I got flashbacks from The Stanley Parable's "glitched out of the map" ending

(also the 12" art prints in the vinyl soundtrack release are super cool and SE is officially forgiven for those horrible Bravely Default pinups)

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Love this game so much that when they put up preorders for the vinyl boxset I had to get it. My first vinyl ever.

Since I ordered from the Square store it was almost a month late, but it came in last thursday. Bought a recommended starter player and that came today.

Pretty darn pleased overall. Boxset is beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
On my second playthrough finally beat route A on Hard. It was fairly challenging since one hit took over half of your health bar. Had to keep proper chips and healthy supply of items

I think I was getting tripped by overclock chip that slows down enemies but they just fast jab you immediately after. Especially route A last bos has some punches with practically no tells