Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
thats why I drink borjomi :mmmsmug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

everywhere likes to try and brag about how good their local tapwater is but i don’t wanna hear a drat thing until you’ve actually spent time in an area that has really really soft water

hafta descale your faucets and shower heads once in awhile? don’t have any bottling plants nearby? nah your water is fine i guess, like most places that don’t use artesian wells to flush their toilets

i love the taste of hard, hard water, ice cold

give me that calcium

PineappleGod
Feb 12, 2008
The Pineapple God has returned

You Am I posted:

Czech car company Tatra used to have their petrol powered heater in the interior of the car

Up here in the frozen north of Finland, I have Webasto fuel operated heater in my car.
You can evidently buy one in the US as well see: https://www.webasto-comfort.com/int/heating/car-parking-heater/fuel-operated-heating/

It came with my used car, evidently installing one to an old car here costs around 2000 euros, but if you buy a new car its a bit less to have installed at the factory.
It uses about 0,5l of fuel per hour of heating, you can set a timer on it, so your car is heated up when you want to leave.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
i worked in palo alto for a while and people liked to blather on about the tap water being so great there for some reason. tasted the same as what i got in san mateo and san francisco, although i haven't bothered to really compare them since i'm not a weirdo.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

dc3k posted:

i worked in palo alto for a while and people liked to blather on about the tap water being so great there for some reason. tasted the same as what i got in san mateo and san francisco, although i haven't bothered to really compare them since i'm not a weirdo.

a comparatively insane number of people move to palo alto from all over
actual palo alto natives are basically now a tiny fraction of palo alto peeps. they mostly all got priced out

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
west marin's tapwater is just rain water. it's real nice except for the weird hosed up storage tunnel near fairfax that's full of fungus and poo poo

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
our tap water is stupid hard (above 24 °dH) and while it's delicious, it breaks every single appliance and kettle within a few months if you don't regularly decalcify them

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

atomicthumbs posted:

the hood of a brand new sixty thousand dollar car (incl options and fees)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

atomicthumbs posted:

the weird hosed up storage tunnel near fairfax that's full of fungus and poo poo

please dont talk about my goon cave itt.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

PineappleGod posted:

Up here in the frozen north of Finland, I have Webasto fuel operated heater in my car.
You can evidently buy one in the US as well see: https://www.webasto-comfort.com/int/heating/car-parking-heater/fuel-operated-heating/

It came with my used car, evidently installing one to an old car here costs around 2000 euros, but if you buy a new car its a bit less to have installed at the factory.
It uses about 0,5l of fuel per hour of heating, you can set a timer on it, so your car is heated up when you want to leave.

I have this handwarmer that zippo makes. It uses some catalytic thing that you have to kickstart with a flame, and then it just slowly consumes lighter fluid for hours and hours while staying really warm. Other than looking cool, it's I guess more useful for really long trips and such, because you can refill it, instead of constantly throwing away chemical warmers, or having to reboil the reusable ones.

When I first got it I just kinda held it at my desk because "oh hey new toys" and "smooth warm thing in winter". Then I got a headache and read the pamphlets in box and it was like "lol don't use this indoors you will die from fumes." I'm really smart sometimes :downs:.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Boston water was way better than palo alto water but that's probably their water comes out of the tap actually cold for 9 months a year

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Great Lakes, great water.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

don’t have any bottling plants nearby?

i live like 20 minutes from Zephyrhills, the place, where Zephyrhills, the bottled water product, comes from

our tap water is merely average and has plenty of hardness :shrug:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
my cities water isn’t even fluoridated:whatup:

also wasn’t fluoridated where I grew up

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

lancemantis posted:

my cities water isn’t even fluoridated:whatup:

also wasn’t fluoridated where I grew up

More like :wmwink:, ammirite?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/960541464609435650

:drat:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i know people hate uber as a company but i was able to get home saturday night after the bar with zero recollection of it happening, except the fact that i had a charge from uber on my credit card. still makes me feel like im in the future.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

everywhere likes to try and brag about how good their local tapwater is but i don’t wanna hear a drat thing until you’ve actually spent time in an area that has really really soft water

hafta descale your faucets and shower heads once in awhile? don’t have any bottling plants nearby? nah your water is fine i guess, like most places that don’t use artesian wells to flush their toilets

hard water is awesome

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PineappleGod posted:

this mostly sounds rad because it works as a block heater

in the u.s. most block heaters are electric so you have to find a plug :(

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
I just want to know what space water taste like with zero bacteria.

Probably awful.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mrmcd posted:

Lol these are in NYC too, which has fantastic tap water.

their whole gimmick originally was going to be only having the water available with their app

looks like they had to add a normal free button for water in order to get places to actually install them

but their main sell was that it was supposed to be "look now you can fill your water bottle easily without having to tip it over or something to catch the arc!" but a ton of public water fountains had already been getting converted to have a bottle filler built in for years. l

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wide stance posted:

Probably awful.

go buy a gallon of distilled water from a grocery store or pharmacy?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

go buy a tank, a battery, two big plastic tubes...

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ate all the Oreos posted:

i live like 20 minutes from Zephyrhills, the place, where Zephyrhills, the bottled water product, comes from

our tap water is merely average and has plenty of hardness :shrug:

czeching their website it looks like they source from a number of springs all over florida and not from what tampa's using for municipal supply

which makes sense for commercially bottled water - the point is that i'd be more impressed about your local water table if they bottled a lotta coke and mountain dew and whatnot nearby, since that implies that your municipal water is sourced from a nice confined aquafer that provides water needing v little treatment for odor and color, the two most notoriously difficult things to treat

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know what happened to that Soylent guy?

This article reminded me of him

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/5/16973432/biohacking-aaron-traywick-ascendance-biomedical-health-diy-gene-therapy

Someone injected a live strain virus in front of an audience to "test" the herpes vaccine. It's like traveling back 200 years ago! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Jenner

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

wide stance posted:

Probably awful.

i worked a student job in the water quality lab and tried the water outta the nanopurification unit once

it tasted dry somehow

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

wide stance posted:

Probably awful.

go buy a jug of distilled water.

it doesn't taste good. it doesn't taste bad, either, just not good like a glass of tap water should.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/960549650703855616

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/960550239399636993

sarah rules

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

czeching their website it looks like they source from a number of springs all over florida and not from what tampa's using for municipal supply

which makes sense for commercially bottled water - the point is that i'd be more impressed about your local water table if they bottled a lotta coke and mountain dew and whatnot nearby, since that implies that your municipal water is sourced from a nice confined aquafer that provides water needing v little treatment for odor and color, the two most notoriously difficult things to treat

the point i was gonna make originally was that, at least here, all the bottled water bottling plants don't pull from the municipal supplies, they pay primo prices to rape our natural beautiful springs directly

then i realized i was getting into an argument about goddamn bottled water and dropped that angle :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tho now that i think about it we do have like, generic soft-drink bottling plants, my wife works next to the Cott Beverages one, so who knows :shrug:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

tho now that i think about it we do have like, generic soft-drink bottling plants, my wife works next to the Cott Beverages one, so who knows :shrug:

gently caress the intake valve and cum in it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

tbf the northern half of florida is p well off for water if i'm remembering my eveg classes correctly thanks to the high rainfall providing something like the second or third most usable surface water of any state and also more or less doin a good job recharging groundwater sources

or maybe it was #2 in most surface water used thanks to ag but either way it doesn't start tasting like it's had feet sittin in it until you get down past tampa

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i know people hate uber as a company but i was able to get home saturday night after the bar with zero recollection of it happening, except the fact that i had a charge from uber on my credit card. still makes me feel like im in the future.

lyft

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i did this 2 weeks ago but with quarter mile walks bookending a light rail ride. not impress'd

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

if you were a woman the story might have gone a little differently

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you were a woman the story might have gone a little differently

which while true is too broad a societal problem to be used as an argument against uber specifically, risks just diminishing it to "a few bad a actors"

also, i mean, surely no one is arguing that uber isn't cheap and convenient? it is just that any look beyond that reveals some pretty nasty truths both about uber and the way things are going in general

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Schadenboner posted:

Great Lakes, great water.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the weirdest social interaction i had for the first time a couple months ago was 11 ppl leaving a dinner and going outside and staring at 11 phones watching 11 uber drivers converge on our location

that cant be healthy for society

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jonny 290 posted:

the weirdest social interaction i had for the first time a couple months ago was 11 ppl leaving a dinner and going outside and staring at 11 phones watching 11 uber drivers converge on our location

But what did the tap water taste like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

which while true is too broad a societal problem to be used as an argument against uber specifically, risks just diminishing it to "a few bad a actors"

regulated taxi services ban known rapists and criminals from driving for hire

uber, being a gypsy cab, does not