Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
AP classes, like literally all of high school, don’t mean anything to anyone the very absolute moment your graduate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bust Rodd posted:

Ill just say it, the first two episodes of the Mick sucked and i would have never ever heard about it again if it weren't for this single thread. I haven't gone back in for the rest

Does AP have kids in it? I just don't think kids are funny.

You've got a dick piercing bro, you're choices in everything should be taken with a grain of salt so large that if you dropped it from orbit it would doom life on earth

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Milo and POTUS posted:

You've got a dick piercing bro, you're choices in everything should be taken with a grain of salt so large that if you dropped it from orbit it would doom life on earth

Whoa I just got cock-doxxed lmao

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Bust Rodd posted:

AP classes, like literally all of high school, don’t mean anything to anyone the very absolute moment your graduate.

The whole point of AP tests is that they get you college credit so you're undeniably incorrect.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Spoeank posted:

The whole point of AP tests is that they get you college credit so you're undeniably incorrect.

Once you graduate the college goes oh you don’t need to take bio 101 you can start on 201, I stand corrected, awash in shame

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Sorry your dumb point was wrong I dunno :shrug:

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
LOL at pleps who took AP classes instead of Post Secondary Option. I only had to take 2 classes at HS and left school at like 10 AM for college but only had classes there twice a week. Sad.

e; i only did it my last semester, the only bad part was that spring breaks were not the same week

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bust Rodd posted:

Once you graduate the college goes oh you don’t need to take bio 101 you can start on 201, I stand corrected, awash in shame

being able to possibly skip a quarter of college isn't really a tiny thing

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

being able to possibly skip a quarter of college isn't really a tiny thing

It comes out to 3-4 credits. A bachelor’s degree in the US typically requires 120.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It comes out to 3-4 credits. A bachelor’s degree in the US typically requires 120.

You can take more than one.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

"The Superbowl Defense"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ugly In The Morning posted:

yeah, that's per AP class. there's like 10 available, and usually students take every one they have a reasonable hope of passing.

I did this, and my freshman year at Texas State I literally only had to take one freshman class (calc) because I AP'd out of all the others.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

drunken officeparty posted:

"The Superbowl Defense"

Rob, Kate, and Danny were there, hope they filmed some footage!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/kabe_/status/960367047988432896

Unmature
May 9, 2008

AP Bio rules.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
"I'm not Dennis! I'm not Dennis!", I continue to insist as I slowly transform into an NBC sitcom character.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Michael Corleone posted:

LOL at pleps who took AP classes instead of Post Secondary Option. I only had to take 2 classes at HS and left school at like 10 AM for college but only had classes there twice a week. Sad.

e; i only did it my last semester, the only bad part was that spring breaks were not the same week

Congratulations on living in one of the two states that allows this. Geez, I wonder why more people don't do it. Other than the obvious reasons that keep the vast majority of American high school students from taking advantage of this program.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
What are you jabronis even talking about, those words don't make any sense.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

This is so pure, which seems weird to say about a picture of three people from IASIP.

Also, on seeing how Philly reacted, I have to think there is at least one good episode to be had out of this.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Caitlyn is shithammerred in that shot, and still clocking in as a Philly 8/10 easy. Rob so incredibly elated he’s hype as gently caress.

Their tiny werewolf seems indifferent.

If anyone wants to see to some top notch rioting I was liveposting the best clips I could find all night

Here’s the thread, all the good poo poo is on page 6-7: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848333

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 5, 2018

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Bust Rodd posted:

From a large sample base, I can say with confidence that AP mostly doesn't matter. "If you score high enough" is a huge caveat as you usually need the highest score to get college credit. Dual Credit at state/communities colleges is actually a better investment for most students that are looking for credit payout but doesn't sound as impressive as "advanced placement." Check out this for more criticism: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Placement#Criticism. On the extreme of things, I've known people to graduate in about 1.5-2 years and they're often missing out on the college experience from a developmental perspective.

As well, overachieving students often won't confront authority so, to me, it's entirely plausible for non-adults in high school AP classes not to have the confidence/grit to confront the teacher. Actually, brining up grit is probably a good justification for why the kid in the last episode who didn't belong to the class dunked on (not-)Dennis.

Anyways, show is okay so far. I appreciate that Patton brings enough to the character that he doesn't come off as the expected "boring guy trying to impress the cool guy." There's some je ne sais quoi (no A.P. classes for me, bitches) about how he handles the character without seeming like a complete bitch so I'm liking him so far.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 5, 2018

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah the dudes original point of “High School Students wouldn’t STAND for this” seemed laughably more implausible than the disconnect they were bringing up.

Like you are kidding yourself if you think those AP students aren’t just as on their phones as their plebian “normie” counterparts.

Sure there’s a few turbonerds who like school and whatever but the idea that AP high school students possess grit and integrity necessary to challenge authority is the real illusion.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Bust Rodd posted:

Like you are kidding yourself if you think those AP students aren’t just as on their phones as their plebian “normie” counterparts.

Speaking of Dual Credit (which is better since it's actual college credit, not maybe college credit) is cheaper than AP.

gently caress you, Taft family!

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

You need to do a tour in Iraq and watch a man die to develop the TRUE GRIT needed to have your helicopter mom call the school and complain

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Bust Rodd posted:

Their tiny werewolf seems indifferent.

Man-Cheetah.

I'm guessing DeVito isn't necessarily an Eagles fan and just wanted to see the Super Bowl with his friends.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

BizarroAzrael posted:

Man-Cheetah.

I'm guessing DeVito isn't necessarily an Eagles fan and just wanted to see the Super Bowl with his friends.

DeVito, like many New Jersians, is probably a huge birds fan

NJ doesn't have it's own team, it sorta splits Jets/Giants as they play their home games in NJ, so if you don't wanna root for the NY teams, Eagles got you covered

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I convinced my AP History teacher to let me play Civ 4 and write a report on it for a semester instead of whatever project they were doing. I played on marathon and most of it involved updates about how Egypt's army got eaten by bears again along with the technology quote whenever I invented pots or something.

I got an A.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Yeah but what did you get on the AP test

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Yeah but what did you get on the AP test

I forget :v:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In my High School we had end of year preparatory exams before the AP tests, and a bunch of us, (i'm talking like 7/20 including myself) got A's on our preparatory exams (which the teacher curates) and then failed the AP test (which I believe the state curates) for History and Biology, and the students who did well on both were all members of the same after school AP coursework study group and their tutor was like "yeah that guy didn't do his job" so ultimately my faith in that system is completely non-existent.

For an extremely cash-poor single parent household, AP exam fees were almost more than my mom could afford, an extra $1,200 90-day tutoring program was completely off the table. This was 2005-2006, Upstate New York. We had no sex education class and our standing Valedictorian was pregnant during her commencement speech. Upstate NY is hill-people.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I appreciate Danny wearing an iasip cap to make sure he's recognized

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

tarlibone posted:

... except that the majority of kids taking an AP course are not meek; at least, not in my experience. They are not quietly ticking off required classes for the honors program or doing what is expected of them. They made a choice to take the hardest classes their school has to offer, and admission isn't always automatic. They are already planning a year or two ahead, and they are taking a class to prepare for a test that has a pretty aggressive grading scale (it was 1 - 5 when I took it).

Now, if "they're smart, therefore they're meek nerds" what they're going for on the show, then it's a sign of incredibly lazy writing.

You just described the actions of a meek nerd.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Calaveron posted:

I appreciate Danny wearing an iasip cap to make sure he's recognized

I'd imagine it may be the only apparel he has that references Philadelphia, which would also sort of corroborate the notion that he's not fundamentally an Eagles fan

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

https://twitter.com/RMcElhenney/status/960359959031578624

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah the dudes original point of “High School Students wouldn’t STAND for this” seemed laughably more implausible than the disconnect they were bringing up.

Sure there’s a few turbonerds who like school and whatever but the idea that AP high school students possess grit and integrity necessary to challenge authority is the real illusion.

Yeah, like basically every single comedy out there, this show isn't striving for realism. None of those kids are acting anything like a real life kid would act -- they've not got their phones out, there's no talking or slacking off, not even when they've received direct permission to do so. This show's about as realistic as pretty much any other prime time comedy that you could poke a stick at; Community, Parks and Rec,30 Rock... not sure why this one's getting hit with the realism stick.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

If there isn't an episode capitalizing on Philly's super bowl win I will be mega pissed.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, like basically every single comedy out there, this show isn't striving for realism. None of those kids are acting anything like a real life kid would act -- they've not got their phones out, there's no talking or slacking off, not even when they've received direct permission to do so. This show's about as realistic as pretty much any other prime time comedy that you could poke a stick at; Community, Parks and Rec,30 Rock... not sure why this one's getting hit with the realism stick.

They went out of their way to set up a fairly realistic high school scenario.Then, within one classroom, it's a B-plot from IASIP, except it's played totally straight. This is the main reason I don't care for it--it's not believable, even within the confines of the universe it sets up. As an episode of Sunny, it works. As a show not set in that universe, all bets are off.

Compare this with another work set in high school, like, say, the movie Fist Fight. The high school scenario they set up is clearly not realistic, but it's coherent and has its own rules. I can believe that in a school where kids are destroying the school for shits and giggles as the movie opens that a teacher might destroy a desk with an axe, or that another might be on meth, or that an elaborate prank involving a horse and timed dye pack explosions would be carried out. And not for nothing, it should be noted that Charlie Day's character isn't a 100% top-to-bottom carbon copy of his character from Sunny. If AP Bio were an episode of Sunny called "Dennis Teaches AP Bio in Toledo," it would be this exact show, except maybe with some more rapey stuff thrown in.

I'm not saying that anyone is wrong for liking the show. I'm surprised so many of you do, but whatever. I went in with high hopes that were immediately dashed.

Oddly, I thought The Mick would be terrible, and I fell in love with that show right away.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

tarlibone posted:

They went out of their way to set up a fairly realistic high school scenario.

I dunno, I don't think they really did. You've got a philosophy lecturer teaching biology; only one class seems to have noticed the new teacher parked his car on the school sign; a teen was drafted into an advanced class at random despite their not wanting to be there, but for some reason still makes regular attendance despite the roll never being called; the school principal is apparently responsible for collecting his students from the police (and then taking them around to teacher's houses!?); the students are bizarrely committed to learning (but haven't had their new teacher fired for teaching them how to sext); half the characters are cartoons...

I'm not saying you can't explain away every single one of these departures from reality, but I'd argue that together they suggest the show isn't particularly well tethered to the real world. It's a joke machine.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The first 30 seconds of the show is Dennis ramming his car into the school sign and leaving it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
If any of you have seen Vice Principals, I think the "universe", for lack of a better term, in AP Bio is similar to that. Danny McBride and Walton Goggin's characters, among others, do and say things that are wildly inappropriate in front of the student body, but there are still a few lines that can't be crossed. And as far as where those goal posts are, they sort of shuffle around based on that episode's issues at hand.

I've only seen the first episode of AP Bio and I sort of agree with the criticism that it's unrealistic, and I understand that, when people here say unrealistic, they mean within the context of the show's own universe. But for a show like Vice Principals I didn't really have that issue at all because I found it to be funny. Hopefully AP Bio will become funny and then you'll notice stuff like this less and less.