Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I just found a used Icebreaker polo on fleabay for 28$, so I hit buy

Can't wait to marinate in some stranger's pit sweat :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

All of my girlfriend's merino baselayers are second-hand, and so are mine since I saw the light. Second-hand is really the way to go with merino baselayers--you can find stuff in great condition super cheap cause nobody wants to "marinate in a stranger's pit sweat" so the resale value isn't great. I am happy to report that I've had no issues with stranger's pit sweat so far, though. And, frankly, even the swamp-assiest pair of merino boxers probably smells better than a brand new polyester t-shirt after 4 seconds of exercise.

Congratulations on not paying 100 bucks for a t-shirt!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

I just found a used Icebreaker polo on fleabay for 28$, so I hit buy

Can't wait to marinate in some stranger's pit sweat :pwn:

Make sure you wear it out and about for a couple hours before you hike in it, I bought a cheap icebreaker T-shirt and the thing is like fine grit sandpaper on my nipples and makes my shoulders feel like I just got a haircut.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

Morbus posted:

All of my girlfriend's merino baselayers are second-hand, and so are mine since I saw the light. Second-hand is really the way to go with merino baselayers--you can find stuff in great condition super cheap cause nobody wants to "marinate in a stranger's pit sweat" so the resale value isn't great. I am happy to report that I've had no issues with stranger's pit sweat so far, though. And, frankly, even the swamp-assiest pair of merino boxers probably smells better than a brand new polyester t-shirt after 4 seconds of exercise.

Congratulations on not paying 100 bucks for a t-shirt!

This! I get my wool from eBay. Too much work finding it from secondhand stores, but eBay is cheap enough that I just buy a few of whatever's interesting and keep what works :D

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Can you sanitize wool with a dilute alcohol spray, or would that be a bad idea?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Honestly washing and leaving in the sun to dry should be fine. Dilute alcohol is probably OK for merino, better than bleach or most other options anyway...

For second hand gear, apart from ebay, I've had a lot of luck on the gear trade / classifieds subforums on places like backpackinglight, summitpost, highsierratopix, or whatever relevant forums there are for your area. Geartrade.com is another option although I've personally had less success with that.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Ive also heard that washing wool in vinegar is a great way of softening it up and making it more comfortable, it also does double duty to sanitize your stuff without leaving a stink in it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So, I notice that the OP doesn't have a section on sharp things.

Can I profess my love for my tomahawk? Car camping or backpacking, I take it with me everywhere. I just gave it a cleaning and a touch-up after coming back from a shakedown trip.

95% as good as an estwing, 85% as good as a Gransfors Bruks, but so much more handy and useful.

Without writing an entire manifesto, I have used it as/for:

* a climbing aid
* punching holes in hard dirt to pilot stakes
* a log hook
* clearing general vegetation around a campsite.
* throwing

I prefer the spike to a hammer opposite the axe, because anything I reasonably need to hammer, I can grab a rock or baton. I also prefer the traditional kind as opposed to a modernized tactical one, because a traditional one is more readily rehandled, even if you have to use a handle-less tomahawk head as an adze.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I'm pretty happy with some of my REI house-brand wool shirts, and they can usually be found on sale for pretty good prices.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Are there snowshoe manufactures to stay away from? OR conversely, is there a short list of "only buy" They'll be used in the Great Lakes states, so flat to hilly. Probably just days hikes. If the various sizing charts are correct then I need 30's

I've used some Redfeather and...Tubbs, I think. Both rented

EDIT: I didn't care for the Tubbs as much, but I think there were some issues with the bindings so I'm not sure I got a good feel for them.

Dukket fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 10, 2018

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Dukket posted:

Are there snowshoe manufactures to stay away from? OR conversely, is there a short list of "only buy" They'll be used in the Great Lakes states, so flat to hilly. Probably just days hikes. If the various sizing charts are correct then I need 30's

EDIT: I didn't care for the Tubbs as much, but I think there were some issues with the bindings so I'm not sure I got a good feel for them.

a real man would hunt down a Lynx and take it's paws for snowshoes, you go ahead and buy your cuckquipment

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Dukket posted:

I like my msr revo ascents but they would be overkill for Midwest type stuff (the heel lifts & full edge crampons etc) but the low weight is really nice, price not so much. Tubbs or atlas seem to be well liked for tubular type snow shoes which are most common and usually the cheapest.

In general I would say avoid the cheapest thing you can find on Amazon. Yukon Charlie is what costco used to sell and I've heard a lot of people like those for basic recreational needs.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Dukket posted:

If you want nice bindings, lots of Atlas shoes have really great ones that I swear by. They are some kind of fabric binding that you just pull tight after sliding your feet into. They spread the pressure out and feel really comfortable. Other manufacturers might make that kind of binding as well, but in terms of comfort that's what I would look for.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Dukket posted:

MSR is pretty much king poo poo of the snowshoe market. Tubbs and Atlas like Verman mentioned also have good models, as do Crescent Moon. In general, if traction is at all a concern I'd recommend against tubular construction as the traction is generally poor compared to flat stock frames.

I have a pair of MSR Lightning Ascents which are very similar to the REvo Ascent that Verman mentioned. If these are overkill (no need for aggressive traction on steep terrain), the MSR Trail models might be more suitable, as well as lighter and cheaper.

That being said, I'm not really familiar with the snow conditions or dynamics in your region. If it's mostly deep, very unconsolidated dry powder you are dealing with, where extreme amounts of flotation are needed, the offerings from MSR may not be the best. The default and most common length for most MSR models is 22-25", and they tend to have a narrower profile which is great for ergonomics and agility, but not the best for super high flotation due to their lower surface area for a given length. MSR does offer lengths up to 30" on some models, with convenient tail extensions for added flotation, but sometimes the tail extensions don't work as well as just a longer and wider snowshoe would (e.g. front sinks while tail floats).

On the other hand, for icier, harder snow the generally excellent traction of all MSR models would be nice. Or if you plan to travel in densely wooded or vegetated areas with lots of trees and stalks and branches and poo poo poking out of the snow, then a lower surface area, narrower snowshoe with a more natural stride may also be a priority. Same goes for traversing even moderately sloped hills, where a wide snowshoe can be very awkward.

In general, most of the halfway popular manufacturers will make a decent snowshoe. The best model for you will depend mainly on how much flotation you need, whether you will be staying on relatively packed trails or going off-trail, how steep and how hard/icy the snow will be, and whether it's in a wide open space or in a more crowded/buchwhacky environment. MSR is probably the go-to brand for the best overall compromise between these factors, as well as having top-tier models for traction, while other manufacturers that made models with larger overall working areas (Crescent Moon comes to mind) may be better optimized for flotation. Of course, if you intend to travel on snow where the flotation from a longer MSR snowshoe would be insufficient, skis are almost certainly a better option (unless you are like me and cant ski for poo poo). All that being said, I have never found inadequate flotation on my 25" MSRs to be an issue, even if they do sometimes sink more than would be ideal.

As a final consideration, if you plan on going over somewhat steep hills in hard or icy snow, traction is a safety factor, whereas adequate flotation in powder is (for the most part) a convenience factor.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I don't think I know anyone who has any other snowshoe than MSR but the Canadian market is notably less diverse.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Dukket posted:

Snowshoeing

Also, not sure how much snowshoeing experience you have but a nice pair of leg gaiters will help keep your feet warm and dry. A lot of snow will collect on your boots and around your ankles so without leg gaiters, snow is going to get into the top of your boot and soak your foot. With leg gaiters, not so much. The only time my feet get wet with gaiters is if I step in deep water or if its raining. I prefer knee high goretex gaiters like the Outdoor Research Crocodiles that go well over the calf.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Anyone here use a waterproof rain skirt? I have given up trying to find rain pants that are easy to get on and off, breathable, and durable. I don't care if my feet/legs get wet when I wearing shorts, but keeping my crotch dry is nice some days.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
rain ponchos are the poo poo.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

osirisisdead posted:

rain ponchos are the poo poo.

Ponchos are crap for fishing or even carrying a rod with.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Thank you for the responses. This article seems to discuss the differences in snow between west and mid west. He seems to use Northern Lites Backcountry model. My experience so far has been on fairly fresh and still falling fluffy snow (probably a total of 6 to 8 inches) on wooded trails and some steep dunes.
I’m leaning toward Crescent Moon as a starter pair, but undecided still.

It always takes me to 20 min to figure out the tags, cuz I'm dumb.

https://www.snowshoemag.com/2013/01/14/snowshoeing-education-304-shoeing-in-the-midwest-a-little-different-then-east-or-west

I got gaiters a while back, they seemed nice to have for winter or dewy morning hikes. Those may be the same one I bought, not sure.

I’ve been a bit surprised to not see more Canadian companies. There must be 5,000 Canadian canoe makers, I assumed there would be gobs of snowshoe companies as well.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

Anyone here use a waterproof rain skirt? I have given up trying to find rain pants that are easy to get on and off, breathable, and durable. I don't care if my feet/legs get wet when I wearing shorts, but keeping my crotch dry is nice some days.

I have the one made by ULA. Haven't had to use it for realsies yet though. Most I've done was try it a couple times in the backyard during downpours.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Dukket posted:

Thank you for the responses. This article seems to discuss the differences in snow between west and mid west. He seems to use Northern Lites Backcountry model. My experience so far has been on fairly fresh and still falling fluffy snow (probably a total of 6 to 8 inches) on wooded trails and some steep dunes.
I’m leaning toward Crescent Moon as a starter pair, but undecided still.

It always takes me to 20 min to figure out the tags, cuz I'm dumb.

https://www.snowshoemag.com/2013/01/14/snowshoeing-education-304-shoeing-in-the-midwest-a-little-different-then-east-or-west

I got gaiters a while back, they seemed nice to have for winter or dewy morning hikes. Those may be the same one I bought, not sure.

I’ve been a bit surprised to not see more Canadian companies. There must be 5,000 Canadian canoe makers, I assumed there would be gobs of snowshoe companies as well.

If the snow is not deep, and the slopes are not too steep, your best bet might be to not worry about flotation or traction too much and just optimize around weight, stride ergonomics, and the binding system that is most comfortable for you (both in terms of how it fits your boot and how much rotation, if any, it allows).

Personally, I've been really intrigued by those new fangled EVA foam snowshoes, and If I wanted something comfortable and fun to use in easier terrain without super deep snow, I'd look seriously at them. They look pretty fun, and I even saw one person a couple weeks ago running in them up a trail. Can't do that in my MSRs lol. I guess they would wear out quick if snow cover is patchy or there are rocks or other pokeys sticking out, though. Long term durability may be an issue, but then again they are also half the price of a pair of Northern Lights or Ascents.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

bongwizzard posted:

I love my ULA rain skirt. It packs super small, is lightweight, and lets my bits breath way better than rain pants. Layering your rain jacket over the skirt like shingles makes sure water doesn't get into the top. I've used it in some serious rain in the Cascades and it kept my shorts and legs perfectly dry.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Guest2553 posted:

I have the one made by ULA. Haven't had to use it for realsies yet though. Most I've done was try it a couple times in the backyard during downpours.

Tigren posted:

I love my ULA rain skirt. It packs super small, is lightweight, and lets my bits breath way better than rain pants. Layering your rain jacket over the skirt like shingles makes sure water doesn't get into the top. I've used it in some serious rain in the Cascades and it kept my shorts and legs perfectly dry.

Thanks! For $30 its work trying one to see if I like it.

Two questions:

1. How noisy is it?
2. How hard would it be to trim it? I like my hiking shorts to be fuckin short, so I don't need about half that length.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

It's not really noisy at all imo. If it's raining bad enough to need it, you won't notice it at any rate - the fabric is slippery more than crinkly. That said, the material looks like a main in the nuts to work with. There's a helm and velcro fastener that would need to be rebuilt. If you have experience working with that kinda fabric it's probably simple, but I wouldn't trust myself to save the ounce difference it would make.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Guest2553 posted:

It's not really noisy at all imo. If it's raining bad enough to need it, you won't notice it at any rate - the fabric is slippery more than crinkly. That said, the material looks like a main in the nuts to work with. There's a helm and velcro fastener that would need to be rebuilt. If you have experience working with that kinda fabric it's probably simple, but I wouldn't trust myself to save the ounce difference it would make.

I dont care about the weight, I just want more airflow. Is it sewn or tape seamed? Sewing I can get someone to do for me.

Also if I am gonna wear a skirt, it's not going to be some below the kneed prude bullshit.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

A whole chunk of material came out of my boots the other day.

Can I fix this myself?
Shoeguys are asking 150 euro for it. I might as well buy new ones then, as these are 14 years old already.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Those look pretty well hosed... I mean, even the uppers are looking worn. Wrinkles like that quickly turn into cracks once it all starts to rot out.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

uguu posted:

A whole chunk of material came out of my boots the other day.

Can I fix this myself?
Shoeguys are asking 150 euro for it. I might as well buy new ones then, as these are 14 years old already.

That's almost exactly what started happening to mine. Basically the foam stuff in the midlayer of the sole started chunking off, and sure enough my boot blew out in the middle of a 3 day backpacking trip on Mt Rogers.

Check with your manufacturer, Lowa resoled my boots back in Germany for fifty bucks, all said and done. They're like brand new boots now.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Lowa says if your boots are resolable they will resole them at cost. The most I've ever heard of a boot manufacturer charging for a resole was some guy who paid Scarpa $90 to change the soles on his foo-foo $800 ice climbing boots to the sole from a different model. No way it costs 150 euro just to resole your boots. It's up to you to evaluate whether or not its worth even $40-50 to resole them. Some people are wearing boots that are 20+ years old that have been resoled 2-3 times. In other cases, by the time the sole wears out the uppers are close to wearing out too, in wihch case it's probably more cost effective in the long run to get new boots. Was the 150 quote you got just for a resole, or was it that much because there are other parts of the boot falling apart as well?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

I dont care about the weight, I just want more airflow. Is it sewn or tape seamed? Sewing I can get someone to do for me.

Also if I am gonna wear a skirt, it's not going to be some below the kneed prude bullshit.

Mine's sewn. The velcro fasteners aren't continuous so there are already a couple large gaps to keep air circulating around.

One thing to keep in mind is that the whole thing stuffs into a built-in stuff sack that's located on the bottom of the skirt, so if you remove the bottom few inches you'll lose the ability to pack it up. Removing the top few inches is probably worse because of the elastic waistband inside the hem. It's probably easier just to ask them to make a mini-kilt, now that I think about it.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Thanks guys!
That quote was from a local shoerepairer. I'll go ask Lowa.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Guest2553 posted:

Mine's sewn. The velcro fasteners aren't continuous so there are already a couple large gaps to keep air circulating around.

One thing to keep in mind is that the whole thing stuffs into a built-in stuff sack that's located on the bottom of the skirt, so if you remove the bottom few inches you'll lose the ability to pack it up. Removing the top few inches is probably worse because of the elastic waistband inside the hem. It's probably easier just to ask them to make a mini-kilt, now that I think about it.

Oh right, I forgot that they will generally do custom stuff. I'm gonna call up and see about a mini skirt.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

What would you recommend to a tattooed individual who wants to keep the sun off their arms yet stay even slightly cool?

I'll be sticking to short sleeves + sunscreen when I'm forest hiking but some of my photo excursions + vacationing will inevitably have me out on a beach or in a field most of the day.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I haven't used them myself, but maybe these?

They also come in solid colors. Just look up sun sleeves.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Any recommendations on a good lightweight PFD for still water packrafting? I'm going to order a Klymit LWD to take advantage of the buttload of lakes and rivers near me.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Not really sure there is such a thing as a lightweight pfd. I’d suggest a stohlquist pfd, as I like the side entry feature.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Yeah, 'lightweight' wasn't the right word to use - 'comfortable to paddle with' or 'not bulky' would have been better.

I'll look up stohlquist at any rate.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Anything from here would be fine:
https://www.steepandcheap.com/personal-flotation-devices-pfds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Guest2553 posted:

Any recommendations on a good lightweight PFD for still water packrafting? I'm going to order a Klymit LWD to take advantage of the buttload of lakes and rivers near me.

Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but I picked up this NRS Chinook PFD last year and it's been great. Tons of pockets for snacks, maps, easy access to the phone to take pictures, stow my gloves, and it's super comfy and has the bulk in all the right areas. You have free arm movement and the back is up high so it doesn't interfere with your seat or paddling movement.

Might be a bit much if you're just farting around on a lake with an inflatable, but it's nonetheless pretty great.

If I could also make a paddle recommendation, this Carlisle Magic Plus paddle is pretty great too:

https://www.steepandcheap.com/carlisle-magic-plus-fiberglass-shaft-paddle