Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

there now I beat the paper trading game. i now own all the bitcoin, from starting with 100K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Waltzing Along posted:

Is 7250 another wall of some sort? Seems to be struggling to drop below.

There looks to be a 500 coin wall at 7000 right now.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Crypto taxes: This isnt even my final form

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I want these HODL holdouts to be defiant to the very end for maximum lols.

And good news PC gamers: "slightly used" GTX1070s for ~$200.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Paladinus posted:

Lol because soon the thread's title will be factual again.

Who wants to take bets on exactly when this will happen?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

It's doing a bit of the old 'is it going to bounce? Because I want to sell, but if there's going to be a bounce I wanna sell at the top of it' dance but it's consistently working towards going through so far

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

lazorexplosion posted:

It's doing a bit of the old 'is it going to bounce? Because I want to sell, but if there's going to be a bounce I wanna sell at the top of it' dance but it's consistently working towards going through so far

It's been bouncing for about the last week or two. Goes down 20% and then bounces up 10%. Repeat until 13K is now down to 7.2K

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

lazorexplosion posted:

bitcoin is falling down the stairs, sometimes it'll hit one at a funny angle and pop up for a second, but its still just tumbling down those stairs

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Alpha Mayo posted:

there now I beat the paper trading game. i now own all the bitcoin, from starting with 100K.

Send me 1mil to prove it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

mysteryberto posted:

It's been bouncing for about the last week or two. Goes down 20% and then bounces up 10%. Repeat until 13K is now down to 7.2K

It's been a really slow deflation rather than a pop, which is less exciting to watch.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

spasticColon posted:

And good news PC gamers: "slightly used" GTX1070s for ~$200.

This is an option. Should I sell my 1070 now for 1k and pick up used ones in a month for $200?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

There Bias Two posted:

It's been a really slow deflation rather than a pop, which is less exciting to watch.

Nah, this is crazy fast for a dying bubble. It took like three years for the dot com bubble to finish crashing, 60% in two months is spectacularly bad.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

I am intrested to see how the "used" 1070's go. My bet is those cards will break real fast for people getting them but I'm not 100% on that. Also, my bet is buttcoin will be at 6k around 2/23

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

spasticColon posted:

Once it goes below $1000 there will still be some saying to HODL and how it will go up again.

At the same time tons of others will be shouting them down for loving them over when they could have sold at 19,000 and got a lambo.

---

Because China has banned it, does this mean all the farms are going to go away? And if so, does that mean it may be worthwhile for people to mine again? I remember reading it wasn't worth it because China had so many resources devoted to farming. Cuz I can see people using Chinas ban as a reason to double down.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

joats posted:

This is an option. Should I sell my 1070 now for 1k and pick up used ones in a month for $200?

You really don't want a card that's been run flat-out for any amount of time. Normal usage caps at ~70% IIRC.

Waltzing Along posted:

Because China has banned it, does this mean all the farms are going to go away? And if so, does that mean it may be worthwhile for people to mine again? I remember reading it wasn't worth it because China had so many resources devoted to farming. Cuz I can see people using Chinas ban as a reason to double down.

If enough mining power is lost, the next difficulty adjustment will put the frisbee on the roof. :allears:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
My currency is most effective when it changes over 400 dollars in worth in the course of an hour. It's how I buy a nice lunch.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Liquid Communism posted:

You really don't want a card that's been run flat-out for any amount of time. Normal usage caps at ~70% IIRC.
This is actually debated a lot in SH/SC. Some think nVidia Pascal cards should be okay, even in worst-case conditions, because hard thermal/voltage limits are set in the signed BIOS. Personally I'd try my luck with a $200 1070 if it got to that point. But AMD cards can gently caress off.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Alpha Mayo posted:

This is actually debated a lot in SH/SC. Some think nVidia Pascal cards should be okay, even in worst-case conditions, because hard thermal/voltage limits are set in the signed BIOS. Personally I'd try my luck with a $200 1070 if it got to that point. But AMD cards can gently caress off.

Given the number of other components it could take out if it goes entirely wrong, it's not something I'd gamble on to save a couple hundred bucks.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Top Hats Monthly posted:

My currency is most effective when it changes over 400 dollars in worth in the course of an hour. It's how I buy a nice lunch.

Yeah but think about how fast the dollar is fluctuating in terms of how many bitcoins it can buy.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Liquid Communism posted:

Given the number of other components it could take out if it goes entirely wrong, it's not something I'd gamble on to save a couple hundred bucks.

This attitude is why u aren't a btc millionaire

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

CNBC posted:

$100,000 bitcoin ahead?

Still, there are bullish voices in the market.

Fundstrat's Tom Lee, the only major Wall Street strategist to issue formal price targets on bitcoin, said in January that $9,000 is a "major low" for bitcoin and "the biggest buying opportunity in 2018."

Lee issued another report last week that maintained his $25,000 price target for bitcoin.

And Kay Van-Petersen, a Saxo Bank analyst who correctly predicted the cryptocurrency's rally at the start of 2017, told CNBC recently that bitcoin could hit between $50,000 and $100,000 this year.

How do you set a price target on something that is completely speculative wrapped around what looks like may be a major fraud with teather? I get it with traditional instruments, you can look at PE, comparable companies, underlying markets, etc but with Bitcoin you might as well be issuing price targets on lotto tickets.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Three Olives posted:

How do you set a price target on something that is completely speculative wrapped around what looks like may be a major fraud with teather? I get it with traditional instruments, you can look at PE, comparable companies, underlying markets, etc but with Bitcoin you might as well be issuing price targets on lotto tickets.

when you hold a position on it

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
You actually would have better luck issuing price targets on lotto tickets.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

A friend's husband got into bitcoin in december. I didn't even want to know how much he put in. Hoo boy.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Three Olives posted:

only thing i can think of is that price manipulating is laughably easy in a crypto, so institutions thinking there’s a price target is a self fulfilling prophecy

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

aphid_licker posted:

A friend's husband got into bitcoin in december. I didn't even want to know how much he put in. Hoo boy.

Its bad enough multiple large banks have banned using their credit cards as funding for Bitcoin purchases.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Its bad enough multiple large banks have banned using their credit cards as funding for Bitcoin purchases.

It really seemed to be breaking into the random normie demographic in a big way just before the crash.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Barudak posted:

My office because a bunch of coworkers husbands/boyfriends went heavy on bitcoin at the bubble peak.

aphid_licker posted:

Looking forward to the Tindr thread in a few months when "No Bitcoiners" becomes a thing among divorcees.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

aphid_licker posted:

It really seemed to be breaking into the random normie demographic in a big way just before the crash.

It started a huge positive feedback cycle and we hit the insanity that was 20k bitcoin.

Now reality is back and slaughtering pigs in a major way.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Alpha Mayo posted:

yeah it's not so hard when you don't have to account for volume and liquidity

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Uranium 235 posted:

yeah it's not so hard when you don't have to account for volume and liquidity

lol way to take a joke post very seriously

sorry i forgot you make all the profits. market up? PROFIT. market down? PROFIT? market sideways? URANIUM PROFITS

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Alpha Mayo posted:

lol way to take a joke post very seriously

sorry i forgot you make all the profits. market up? PROFIT. market down? PROFIT? market sideways? URANIUM PROFITS
all i'm saying is to be careful if you touch the poop because it seems like you inevitably will, and it's not the same as paper trading

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
there's some people selling off big ol chunks and cashing out right now.

well they were for a minute or two

shiksa fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 5, 2018

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
BTC price on Coinbase is so close to coming full circle to the thread title, it's edging the gently caress out of me.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
Did the coiners blame Trump yet?

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

shiksa posted:

there's some people selling off big ol chunks and cashing out right now.

well they were for a minute or two

WEAK HADNS

Legit question: Is there a reason why true believers yell HODL when they say its gonna dip before it goes up, when they could just sell and rebuy if they wanted to? I'm guessing its either 1) Tax burden 2) They dumb

but is there any other real reasons

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
They think they are going to cash out as it goes up uP UP and become millionaires, sooooo.....

Number 2.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Bitcoin went to 20k once therefore it will surely reach 100k because

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

joats posted:

Did the coiners blame Trump yet?

Everyone knows it's (((Globalists))) and their banks who are to blame keeping the White Man's Choice of currency down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Three Olives posted:

Take total valuation of earth divided by number of bitcoin. If it goes above that then bitcoin are overpriced.