Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

"Mopsie," you say. "You must be brave and think shrewdly."

"S-shrewdly?"

"Yes. You say Figs has a number of redeeming qualities."

"He is everything. He is my lifeblood. He is the sap in the trees and the song in the throat of the meadowlark."

"Well, I will trust you on that matter, but to the point, if you could simply demonstrate his finer qualities to your aunt, she would be forced to admit that he could be a worthy match for you."

"But how?" she says.

"We will come up with that plan in time," you say. "For now, you must speak highly of Figs. Dwell on his best aspects in front of Aunt Primrose. In time she will come to see if your way."

"I will try, if you say so," Mopsie sniffs, and walks slowly into the house to collect herself, turning around once to blow a kiss to you.

quote:

As Mopsie's problems have been dealt with - for the moment, anyway - you decide it would be best to find Rory and let him know that you have arrived. You walk into the house, glad to finally be here.

Carlington, Aunt Primrose's imposing butler, greets you with a slight inclination of the head. "How do you do, Butler."

"Good to see you, Carlington."

"You will find Mr. Wintermint staying in the Oak Room on the second floor, third door on your left."

"Thank you, Carlington."

"Your suitcases are just there, by the art gallery. You may wish to take them upstairs."

"Certainly."

You leave Carlington, and walk across the main hall to the art gallery at the end of the corridor.

Aunt Primrose's art gallery is a sunny display area for the various paintings, etchings, and sculptures she has collected over the years. Your suitcases are piled unceremoniously at the center of the room. You shake your head, reminding yourself to teach Valentine the importance of bringing the luggage straight up to the room.

You start to lift the suitcases, when you noticed the sealed tube with Figs's awful portrait of Aunt Primrose in it. You consider it for a moment. You told Figs that you would take it, but noted that you ought to ask Rory for instructions before putting it up on the wall. However, you feel confident that, if asked, Rory would probably tell you to do anything that you feel would help Figs and Mopsie get together.

I'm going to go up to Rory and ask him what he wants me to do with the painting.
I know Rory will tell me to hang the painting, so I'll just do it.
Rory would surely tell me to dispose of the painting at once, so I'll destroy it.

Most current stats posted:

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Bold: 58%
Culture: 25%
Intellect: 43%
Observe: 44%
Persuade: 42%
Skulduggery: 19%
Soothing/Abrasive: 34%/66%

Your Reputation
Renown: 41% (+6%)
Tranquility: 18%
Suspicion: 10%

Rory: 36%
Valentine: 40%
Frankincense: 44%
Aunt Primrose: 21%
Col. Firesnuff: 34%
Mopsie: 100%

Ready Monies: 23

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That painting will hang.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Ask Rory. He needs to see this painting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ask Rory.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

achtungnight posted:

Ask Rory. He needs to see this painting.

And laugh at it

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Ask Rory. Again, this helps us if we get into trouble when we inevitably toss this painting out the nearest window.

...and with our luck, right onto Firesnuff's head.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
If it were hung, 'twere best hung quickly.

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

Ask Rory

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Ask Rory - we told Figs we needed permission, no reason to lie there.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ask.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Ask Rory (1).

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

As you mentioned to Figs, you will be leaving the decision to Rory. You tote all of the luggage upstairs, the painting tube under one arm, and locate the Oak Room - certainly one of the more luxurious of the guest suites in Ritornello. Rory likes its east-facing patio, and that is where you find him, looking out at the world, picking at a plate of sliced apples and berries and sipping a ginger ale.

"I have arrived, sir."

"And perfectly punctual, as usual. All went well with the train?"

You clear your throat. "I shall inform you of the specifics of my travels if you wish, but before that, there is a piece of business I must inform you of."

"Oh?"

You produce the painting tube. "I have here a painting made by your friend Figs, whom I met on the journey here."

"You don't say?" Rory opens the tube and starts to remove the contents.

"He implored me to take it, and asked that I hang it in your aunt's art gallery. He seemed to think that seeing his artwork in that context would make her see his true value as an artist and possible match for Mopsie. It seemed a far-fetched plan."

"And you said...?"

"I told him that I needed to consult you before accepting or rejecting his offer. It seemed the thing to do."

"Hm. I suppose so," Rory says, sighing. "I suppose old Figs does need our help. But I'm not certain this plan is the finest heir of his invention, as it were."

"That was similar to my train of thought," you say.

"Well, that's a thin slice of Figs," Rory chuckles, taking a sip of ginger ale.

"Now, before you unroll that portrait..."

quote:

But it is too late. Upon seeing the ghastly portrait, Rory spits out the mouthful of ginger ale all over it. "My god, Butler!" Rory says, dropping the liquid-flecked painting.

"I know, sir."

"What is it?"

"It is intended to be a representation of your aunt, sir."

"No!"

"What would you like me to do with it?"

"Down the hall, in the library, there is a good fire raging. Burn it utterly, and then collect the ashes and burn them as well. Then disinfect your hands with bleach and lye and return at once."

You take the portrait, crumple it into a ball, and head down the hall towards the library, a hall decorated with a number of large, expensive-looking blue and white Ming-era urns, nearly as tall as you are. You are nearly there when Colonel Firesnuff exits the library, and calls to you.

"You!" he cries, upon seeing you. He clenches his fists as if to resume your recent tussle.

"Yes. If I might step into the library…" But he doesn't move.

"What have you got there? That moist piece of paper."

You put your hand behind your back. "What piece of paper?"

"That piece of paper that was in your hand."

"No, I don't believe I have or had a piece of paper. I think I would know."

"It is perplexing to me why you would lie about having a piece of paper in your hand. It seems almost suspicious. You are a very suspicious person. Something about your physiognomy. But that is neither here nor there. I demand to see what is in your other hand."

I look like in the eye. "Why would I lie about having a piece of paper? Don't be an rear end."
"It's wrapping paper for Rory's birthday gift for Mrs. Patterson. That's all."
I stealthily drop the painting into one of the big decorative urns.

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills

Your Reputation
Renown: 41

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Let's be bold about this. Why would we lie about this?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

don't be an rear end. col firestuff is our kind of man and we should fight at every opportunity until we get to pink panther levels

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Sir, are you calling me a liar? Because if you are, I may have to once again thrash you soundly...

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Looking him in the eye seems pretty bold to me. And that is our highest stat right now.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Why would I lie? Seriously.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Look at him in the eye, and thrash him soundly if needed

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Wrapping paper.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

this better start a fight

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Why would I lie?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Why would I lie.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Why lie?

If only we could say "I have paper that I've been instructed to burn. No you can't see it".

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

"Wha—that's…how dare…!" He is very much taken aback by your aggressive response, and his lips move for a while without anything polysyllabic emerging.

"I can take a joke, but you take it too far!" he cries. "You seem to desire me to teach you a lesson. A game, perhaps? To see how often you can provoke a trained warrior and live to tell the tale?"

You say nothing, but maintain your steady gaze upon him.

"I see," he says at last. "That is how it is."

"Yes, that is how it is."

He frostily departs without another word, aside from turning once to shake his fist at you.

The way now clear, you walk into the library, where you toss the wretched painting onto the fire and watch it turn to ash.

quote:

You return to Rory, now free of the portrait, if one can ever be said to be free of the horrifying image that the painting has etched into your memory.

"Has the matter been taken care of successfully?" Rory says, as you step in and close the door.

"It has," you say. "It need not enter our thoughts again."

"Thank God for that," Rory says. "Now, let us talk while you prepare my person for public consumption. My foxhunting outfit, if you please. How was your trip?"

"The trip went...reasonably well."

Rory places two cushions on the divan, and lies down with his feet on the cushions, hands folded under his head. "Tell me about your journey. Omit no detail, however slight."

While to the untrained eye, Rory seems content, your long years with him and your trained eye lead you to the conclusion that Rory is in fact ill at ease. Restless and anxious are the words that come to mind.

There are, of course, many ways to tell the tale of your recent train trip. You could try to make it a tale of dashing adventure, emphasizing your personal prowess and keen wit. You could offer witty anecdotes, entertaining Rory with all of your absurd encounters, making the narrative as witty as possible, trying to make Rory laugh. Or, perhaps, you might offer a relatively tame version of your trip, in order to relax Rory.

I tell a tale of dashing adventure.
I offer witty repartee.
I offer a highly proper and slightly smug account of my trip, complete with moral instruction and finger wagging.
I ease his mind.

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills

Your Reputation
Renown: 51% (+10%)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

We went on an adventure!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

We boldly adventured in a dashing manner

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

We did have a dashing adventure didn't we, even had a fistfight.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Adventure!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Dashing adventure does seem to fit our Stats.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Adventure!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
There was definitely some dashing involved, including through a marriage proposal if I recall.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Adventure!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Dashing Adventure! Why is there even another option?

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

You had a highly interesting journey, and you are eager to let Rory know how you fought through dangers and perils, both large and small, in order to get to where you stand right now. What you have been through ought to be acknowledged, and possibly made into an epic poem, you note to Rory, and he listens with keen interest.

As Rory listens breathlessly, you weave the tale of your encounters with the hapless figs, the irascible Col. Firesnuff, and your sudden trainee, young Valentine.

"You live a life of high adventure, Butler. And I'll bet it hardly fazed you. You live and breathe derring-do."

"It was simply a matter of enduring a certain amount of hardship in order to reach Ritornello and rejoin you."

"Intrepid. That is the word for you."

:3:

quote:

Rory suddenly jumps up. "Oh, Butler, I've just remembered: What about the birthday gift for Aunt Primrose?" Rory looks through the luggage, in search of it.

"Regarding the birthday gift in question," you say. "I have secured the peridot hairstick." You remove the hairstick from your jacket.

"Wonderful!" Rory says, taking it over to the window and examining it in the light. "No trouble at all getting it? Oh, what am I talking about...what could go wrong simply walking into a store and purchasing an item that has been laid aside for one?"

You both share a merry chuckle.

"Most successful, Butler. I look forward to the sparkle in her eyes when I present it to her in front of all assembled. They all shall say, 'There is a nephew who loves his aunt.' And Aunt Primrose shall shower love and devotion on me."

"Undoubtedly, sir."

"Good show, Butler."

quote:

You work to ensure that Rory looks acceptable, but Rory keeps pacing around. "Nearly time, Butler. Time to face the family and friends, and so forth. Must be at my best, you know."

"Of course. If you would kindly..."

"A man must look his best." Rory gnaws at a fingernail and begins to muss his hair. "For such an important occasion. Where I would prefer to be is at home. I'm picturing a beverage with some ice and some sort of action-adventure novel. Perhaps I'll do some jumping jacks to use up some excess nervous energy."

"Sir! I really must ask you to stand still at once if you would like to be properly dressed!"
"I wonder if you might make your movements somewhat less exuberant."
"Oh, go ahead and do your jumping jacks, then."

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Bold: 64% (+6%)
Soothing/Abrasive: 31%/69% (+3% Abrasiveness)

Your Reputation
Renown: 51%

Rory: 42% (+6%)

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Do your warm-up first

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Stand still.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stand still you weirdo.

Also I noticed that despite causing him to freak out, Colonel Firesnuff's opinion of us hasn't dropped a bit.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
"Oh, go ahead and do your jumping jacks, then." - let him burn off his extra energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Exercise is key to a healthy body and sound mind, sir. Do your jumping jacks then

• Locked thread