Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Yeah, it's good that Han Solo sucks in this one.

You see he's just cosplaying Solo and this is actually a clever commentary by Disney because....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I was gonna try to grab some of the few good screenshots, but there really isn't a lot going on here visually. Most of it is bog-standard, but some of it is just downright ugly. It's like they watched Rogue One and the only lesson they took was "grey" + "smoke" = "off-road Star Wars"

Ah, well, at least we still have Valerian, the legitimately good Han Solo movie.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

New Han looks nothing like old Han and has none of the charisma and the dumbass actor has the nerve to whine to the studio about Lord and Miller

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Trailer bad

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I dunno, Solo looks fun. There isn’t enough of Ehrenreich in the trailer to get a sense of his performance, so we’ll just have to wait and see. I’m sold enough to see it in theaters though.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Even though I thought it was unnecessary I'm on board with the general idea of a Solo movie, but oof Ehrenreich does not seem like he's able to sell it. Those two jokes read like someone desperately trying to come across as Han but failing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's a teaser of a movie that isn't close to being done .

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

that trailer is such a big pile of nothing i don't really have any more positive or negative feelings about seeing the final film than i did before i saw it

like, there are a couple neat looking ships and character designs in there but there's nothing really intriguing about the movie (except the behind the scenes poo poo) if i don't subscribe to the idea that han solo's simple backstory needed a generic heist film to flesh it out

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

K. Waste posted:

I was gonna try to grab some of the few good screenshots, but there really isn't a lot going on here visually. Most of it is bog-standard, but some of it is just downright ugly. It's like they watched Rogue One and the only lesson they took was "grey" + "smoke" = "off-road Star Wars"

Ah, well, at least we still have Valerian, the legitimately good Han Solo movie.

Is this like goons saying Guardians of the Galaxy was what a good Star Wars movie is?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This one seems to be more fleshed out https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dNW0B0HsvVs

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

This is just me being arbitrary and judgemental, but I'd be more excited about this film if it wasn't a prequel story for an established character. I don't care about "how Han met Chewie" or "how Han got the Millenium Falcon" or whatever. These are not meaningful questions posed by the source material. Direct nods to future events are bound to feel forced. If this was just, a heist movie set in the Galactic Empire with new characters like Lampp Desco and Klnx Tisho, it'd have more of a chance of being a decent film than fan service bait.

I think I'm going to have this feeling a lot about Star Wars. Disney bought a franchise propelled by merchandise sales and a devoted base of people who buy bad sci fi books just because they have the Star Wars logo on the covers. Of course they're going to lean into it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

UmOk posted:

Is this like goons saying Guardians of the Galaxy was what a good Star Wars movie is?

Of course not, Valerian is way better than GotG.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

100 degrees Calcium posted:

This is just me being arbitrary and judgemental, but I'd be more excited about this film if it wasn't a prequel story for an established character. I don't care about "how Han met Chewie" or "how Han got the Millenium Falcon" or whatever. These are not meaningful questions posed by the source material. Direct nods to future events are bound to feel forced. If this was just, a heist movie set in the Galactic Empire with new characters like Lampp Desco and Klnx Tisho, it'd have more of a chance of being a decent film than fan service bait.

I think I'm going to have this feeling a lot about Star Wars. Disney bought a franchise propelled by merchandise sales and a devoted base of people who buy bad sci fi books just because they have the Star Wars logo on the covers. Of course they're going to lean into it.

Apparently they are making a new trilogy with all new poo poo in it.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Papercut posted:

You see he's just cosplaying Solo and this is actually a clever commentary by Disney because....

..at the end it's revealed that the Han we know is an imposter named Flarmin Q'tamzarian.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Han has to kill his father figure and is selflessly aided by a rebellion after pretending to be a prince.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Wheat Loaf posted:

December has Aquaman, Mary Poppins 2 and some others I've forgotten. I don't think there's really many months this year where they could put it and get a clear shot without much competition.
Those movies aren't going to be competition for anyone.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mary Poppins 2??

Like a sequel to the one from the 60s?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

euphronius posted:

Mary Poppins 2??

Like a sequel to the one from the 60s?

Starring Emily Blunt.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The trailer seems really bad to me. It's really generic and the only thing that stands out is the poor line delivery.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
I think Frozen 2 was originally Winter 2018 and that's why they moved Solo to Summer. Also Bob Iger has been wanting to get Star Wars movies back to that slot for some time now.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I did some general browsing and didn’t see this, but is there any info as to how long before A New Hope this is supposed to be/ how young Han is supposed to be? Because Ford was in his early 30’s around the time of shooting that first flick, and Alden Ehrenreich is 29, but seems to be playing considerably younger, like maybe 18-19? That’s the only way my brain can make sense of this dude not quite pulling his impression off. Because if this is supposed to take place like, five years before ANH or something... that’s gonna be a problem.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

K. Waste posted:

Of course not, Valerian is way better than GotG.

I've only seen half of Valerian so far, and while it rules, Valerian's been too successful to be a young Han Solo. So far it's more like "Ferris Bueller's Day On [Duty as a Space Cop]".

I reserve the right to adjust my opinion having seen the whole thing though.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

A lot of people talking about how he’s not channeling a young Harrison Ford, but seriously, who could do that?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Definitive Chewbacca Hair Ranking. I will let the thread decide whether this is in ascending or descending order

-Star Wars/Empire. The true benchmark. Empire is probably a bit better because they probably had more money. Nice
-Force Awakens/Last Jedi. People complain a lot about these but I think they are okay, and the body hair has the right scraggliness
-Return of the Jedi. He apparently had a brief experimental phase with bangs. This look never shows up again
-Revenge of the Sith. Kinda weird and gold-colored. Too shiny, but I guess everything in the prequels was shiny. The style that won Yoda's heart
-Shadows of the Empire: poo poo yeah

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ingmar terdman posted:

Definitive Chewbacca Hair Ranking. I will let the thread decide whether this is in ascending or descending order

You left one out, from the time when he teased his eyelashes:

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009

Colonel Whitey posted:

A lot of people talking about how he’s not channeling a young Harrison Ford, but seriously, who could do that?

River Phoenix did it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I love the art in the old Marvel Star Wars comics.

“I don’t give a poo poo if it is the biggest movie of the last ten years, Jerry, I’m gonna give him a fuckin’ rabbit snout.

Yeah, I’m drunk. So what?

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Hansen85 posted:

River Phoenix did it.

That was the worst part of Crusade.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Colonel Whitey posted:

Anthony Ingruber?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

River Phoenix played river Phoenix.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fart City posted:

I love the art in the old Marvel Star Wars comics.

“I don’t give a poo poo if it is the biggest movie of the last ten years, Jerry, I’m gonna give him a fuckin’ rabbit snout.

Yeah, I’m drunk. So what?

My absolute favourite is the cover of the second issue, which portrays the Mos Eisley cantina scene from ANH:

By the last issue, Luke was basically Rambo. He had a mullet, his shirt was always open to the waist, he had huge arms and he carried a giant gun.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I feel like this teaser is trying to suggest to me that it's in a different genre than the last nine Star Wars, and I like that suggestion.

The music is probably trailer-placeholder rather than the final score, but I hope it's indicative.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Anthony Ingruber?

He does a fine enough vocal impression but I’m not exactly encouraged by the acting on display in this clip:

https://youtu.be/vwLv993khfI

He’s just a guy doing an impression

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 5, 2018

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Are the old Star Wars comics weird enough to read? The covers are all wacky as hell.

Edit: Like, that one cover looks like Chewy and Lando might be a couple.

UmOk fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 5, 2018

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I think everyone of the rumoured short runners would've been a better fit.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They should have just cast grumpy old Harrison Ford in a propeller beanie.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Solo trailer does not inspire confidence in me. i was pretty bored right up until the very end with the tentacled space monster. i'm a sucker for giant monsters. owned in esb and tpm, so i'm down for some more star wars giant monster action. shame about the rest of it, which doesn't look interesting

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Colonel Whitey posted:

He does a fine enough vocal impression but I’m not exactly encouraged by the acting on display in the clip:

https://youtu.be/vwLv993khfI

He’s just a guy doing an impression

I'm not a great judge of acting; I know when someone's good and I know when someone's bad but I've never had much luck with the in-betweens. I never had any problems with Sean Patrick Flanery in Young Indiana Jones but I never felt like he was doing a Harrison Ford impression.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not a great judge of acting; I know when someone's good and I know when someone's bad but I've never had much luck with the in-betweens. I never had any problems with Sean Patrick Flanery in Young Indiana Jones but I never felt like he was doing a Harrison Ford impression.

I guess I shouldn’t pretend to be either but watching him as a young Harrison in that clip he seems to be just trying to hit all the marks that say “I’m supposed to be Harrison Ford” and not really giving it anything else that makes it come alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

UmOk posted:

Are the old Star Wars comics weird enough to read? The covers are all wacky as hell.

Edit: Like, that one cover looks like Chewy and Lando might be a couple.

Some of it is entertaining enough. It's interesting to see what some writers thought the rest of the universe might be like when there was only one movie out. The really infamous thing (because I'm pretty sure Lucas himself went out of his way at one point to say it was non-canon) was Jaxxon, a big green rabbit alien. He appeared in a story as part of a team assembled by Han Solo to protect a village from bandits. It was a Magnificent Seven pastiche.

One of the other characters was a deranged old man who had read too many stories about the Jedi knights and decided he wanted to be one despite being hopelessly incompetent and not having the Force. His name? Don-Wan Kihotay.

Some great covers, though: