Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Some dude contacted me about buying my bike but said he was looking for something closer and would get back to me in a few weeks. And he couldnt pay anything close to my asking price. I don't need your whole drat life story Im just trying to sell a motorcycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Beach Bum posted:

All these are reasons I put a Honda CBR solid state R/R on my Suzuki. Other than the fact the old one literally caught on fire in traffic.

Solid case for the need for DNRs. Sometimes you gotta let grandma go.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Kastivich posted:

Some dude contacted me about buying my bike but said he was looking for something closer and would get back to me in a few weeks. And he couldnt pay anything close to my asking price. I don't need your whole drat life story Im just trying to sell a motorcycle.

That's gold. "So I guess you don't want my bike. Thank you."

I hate that you are having such trouble selling, but that's the hell of craigslist. I've sold two pure gold supermotos so far, and it was a month and a half of the most inane poo poo before the right buyer showed up. Both of those buyers are now my friends and we talk on a regular basis, so I think it worked out.

edit: And one of those two I shared your bike and price and stuff with just a couple of days ago, btw. Unfortunately he is looking for a DR650 like mine. :(

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Coydog posted:

That's gold. "So I guess you don't want my bike. Thank you."

I hate that you are having such trouble selling, but that's the hell of craigslist. I've sold two pure gold supermotos so far, and it was a month and a half of the most inane poo poo before the right buyer showed up. Both of those buyers are now my friends and we talk on a regular basis, so I think it worked out.

edit: And one of those two I shared your bike and price and stuff with just a couple of days ago, btw. Unfortunately he is looking for a DR650 like mine. :(

Hey thanks for trying. I probably should have picked a better time of year for this. But I dont really stop riding during the winters here so it didnt really seem like an issue. Id be less anxious about moving this along if I didnt have my eye on my next bike already.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I know of one greybeard engine builder who deliberately disconnects one of the three stator wires on VFR800's so as to prolong RR life, the battery still charges fine if you're actually riding the bike.

Found your problem.
Seriously this is poo poo even the Italians manage to get right.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

MomJeans420 posted:

That's got to total the bike, right?

You would think that, but fortunately I smelled it in time to get into a parking lot and investigate. I popped the rear seat off, saw flames, hauled rear end into the nearest store to grab their fire extinguisher, and used my pocketknife to cut open the rear fender, which was thankfully very easy due to it being soft from the heat.

I ordered the Honda R/R, spliced the Suzuki dongle onto it, and mounted it in the original location. Replaced the fender as well, I think a used one off Ebay cost me like $40.

I've got another 10k miles on the bike now.

nsaP posted:

Solid case for the need for DNRs. Sometimes you gotta let grandma go.

:colbert: That's a quitter's attitude. What, you think a little ol' thing like fire is gonna set me back a bike? Pfft. :smuggo:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 2, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SV’s cannot be killed by fire alone

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah you gotta put a stake through the plastic clutch cover as well.

It's their only weakpoint.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Today I was riding along on a twisty road behind a Prius (what else?). Prius appeared to be trying to find an address -- speeding up and slowing down all the time. Couldn't pass because the road was too narrow and blind. Eventually the Prius realizes that he's missed the place, I guess, and slams on the brakes. I stop as well, ending up about a car's length from the rear bumper. Then, the instant the Prius's wheels stop turning, the driver throws it into reverse without looking and starts moving backwards. :thumbsup: Fortunately I was still in gear so I gunned the engine and went around.

Ultimately a non-event but seriously ffs it's ridiculous how many people don't have even a marginal concept of road safety

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Silly biker, that was the battery dieing and slamming the car into park.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
:catstare:

I see the responding officers and paramedics agreed that it was a justified use of force, and allowed you to go home and post? Or do they have computers in jail? How did all of those batteries react to being set on fire?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I bought an A* textile jacket that was a mixture of white and black, thinking it'd help with visibility, but the white has gotten pretty dirty (~6k miles). Should I be trying to figure out how to wash it, or just leave it as is?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
if you want, i gave up trying to keep my white dainese boots clean pretty fast though

bad color for riding

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
White will always get dingy. Hell, any bright color is like that. Just get a high vis vest and replace it once the yellow or orange wears out.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Riding home last night I passed a pedestrian wearing a white coat that appeared to be 100% retroreflector, because just the edge of my headlight hitting them made them glow like a full moon. It looked impossible to miss.

Might think about picking up something like this in XXL to go over the top of my bike jacket next winter.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

Riding home last night I passed a pedestrian wearing a white coat that appeared to be 100% retroreflector, because just the edge of my headlight hitting them made them glow like a full moon. It looked impossible to miss.

Might think about picking up something like this in XXL to go over the top of my bike jacket next winter.

That have anything like that in the US? Or does Evan's cycle ship across the pond by any chance?

Edit: found this: https://www.provizsports.com/en-us/...9d3&fo_s=gplaus
I wonder how it compares to the other jacket. Either way I need to look into something like this.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 8, 2018

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Coredump posted:

That have anything like that in the US? Or does Evan's cycle ship across the pond by any chance?

Edit: found this: https://www.provizsports.com/en-us/...9d3&fo_s=gplaus
I wonder how it compares to the other jacket. Either way I need to look into something like this.

Look at SOLAS tape/products. It's about the most retroreflective stuff I've ever seen anywhere ever.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Had a typical post asking about a first bike show up on the local Facebook group today. One dude posted the typical crap about "buying a bike you can grow in to", "supersports aren't dangerous", etc. Guy saying he's been riding a 600 for 8 months and thinks he's ready for an R1. We went back and forth for over an hour, with some other folks getting a bit involved from time to time. I finally gave up to go to lunch.

Dude was just masterfully trolling me the whole time. :negative:

Which of you motherfuckers was it, I demand answers, you trolling bastard!

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 13, 2018

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I never touch that stuff any more. Every other day someone rolls into "moto riders universe" and asks about getting a 600 supersport for a first bike. The unanimous response is that if you don't start on a 1000 you are a pussy.

I wish I had started on a $800 zuma 50, or at max a ninja 250, and am powerless to stop people from my mistakes. :(

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Coydog posted:

I never touch that stuff any more. Every other day someone rolls into "moto riders universe" and asks about getting a 600 supersport for a first bike. The unanimous response is that if you don't start on a 1000 you are a pussy.

I wish I had started on a $800 zuma 50, or at max a ninja 250, and am powerless to stop people from my mistakes. :(

Don’t worry about it, people are people and you can’t change their minds. A knucklehead I know told me that he originally wanted to buy a Ninja 500 as a starter bike, to which I was incredibly enthusiastic and supportive, telling him to go take the MSF, what helmets to buy, etc etc.

A few months later it’s become a “well I’m just gonna buy an R6 and just not take it over 7,000 rpm, and it’s only an extra 100cc anyways I’ll be fine.” I told him to ensure he’s on the organ donor list and to set aside a few hundred for fairings if he still feels like riding after the first time he whisky throttles it.

Still waiting for him to buy it and the eventual crash story later.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Ripoff posted:

Don’t worry about it, people are people and you can’t change their minds. A knucklehead I know told me that he originally wanted to buy a Ninja 500 as a starter bike, to which I was incredibly enthusiastic and supportive, telling him to go take the MSF, what helmets to buy, etc etc.

A few months later it’s become a “well I’m just gonna buy an R6 and just not take it over 7,000 rpm, and it’s only an extra 100cc anyways I’ll be fine.” I told him to ensure he’s on the organ donor list and to set aside a few hundred for fairings if he still feels like riding after the first time he whisky throttles it.

Still waiting for him to buy it and the eventual crash story later.

A friend's son recently asked me "What do you think about Gixxers?" since I have been a sport bike rider since shortly after the earth cooled, and, even at my advanced age (in his eyes, at least), ride a ZX14R. I told him, "Great bikes! But don't buy one. It is your first bike, not your last bike."

He still hasn't bought one, so hopefully (fingers crossed) he will take my advice. He is a good kid, and seemed to take it to heart when I told him that any bike will feel fast to him, since he does not have the skill set yet to properly control one. And a supersport will do exactly what you tell it to do, even if you don't know you are telling it to high side. Far too responsive for a beginner.

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 13, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hey come on, gsxr400's are a decent learner bike :v:

What always amazes me about r6 as first bike is how monstrously unsuitable they are even by 600SS standards. The engine is so peaky and first gear so long it's impossible too redline the engine without breaking the speed limit in this country. Only a D675 would be a worse choice.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Slavvy posted:

Hey come on, gsxr400's are a decent learner bike :v:

What always amazes me about r6 as first bike is how monstrously unsuitable they are even by 600SS standards. The engine is so peaky and first gear so long it's impossible too redline the engine without breaking the speed limit in this country. Only a D675 would be a worse choice.

What's so bad about the Daytonas? I know they killed/mangled a few people, but I am not sure I understand why.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They're just really aggressive by any measure. Very track oriented suspension, pretty vicious throttle response by 600 standards, much more low down grunt than a 4 cylinder, absolutely brutal riding position. Like any 600SS is a terrible idea for a first bike and the Daytona is just the best, and therefore worst, of the lot.

I can see someone with extraordinary self control and good judgment (or a throttle lock) learning on a Gixxer 600 or cbr600rr because they're fairly friendly at low speed but what's the point really.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

pokie posted:

What's so bad about the Daytonas? I know they killed/mangled a few people, but I am not sure I understand why.

The answer to your question is in your statement. That bike is unforgiving of rider error.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

pokie posted:

Due to ~*reasons*~, I had to learn on a D675 (which I still have), and it sucked. Slavvy is correct about the riding position being brutal, I couldn't do more than 20 mins at first without my wrists killing me. Because of the riding position, you're going to want to put weight on your wrists at first, which if you run over a bump means throttle input. The ridiculous amount of power (at least for a beginner) means that slight throttle input translates into a lot of power, when you're not expecting it. Also, accidental wheelies when you're still learning throttle and clutch control aren't fun at all. There are other dumb things like I didn't bother to learn how to shift well at first because you can just throw the bike in 2nd gear and go from 0 to 92mph. Once you get past the beginner issues, you have the problem of you're feeling pretty comfortable on a bike that's still insanely fast, and it makes it really easy to ride like an rear end.

I got it when I turned 35 and managed to make it work with only one crash (stopping at a stop sign on road with heavy camber, put my foot down on some gravel and dropped it going 0mph), but I'm pretty sure I would have killed myself on it if I had it 10 years earlier. Even now I'd prefer something like a street triple because the riding position honestly sucks for riding anywhere with a lot of speed bumps and stop signs. I can't really wring it out because redline in 2nd getting onto the freeway is ticket speeds, redline in 3rd is getting arrested speeds. It's a shitload of fun once you're comfortable on it, but do 300 miles in a day and you'll feel it in your muscles.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

The ninja 250 is my fifth bike and holy poo poo it is fun as hell to ride, get one for your first bike.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Slavvy posted:

They're just really aggressive by any measure. Very track oriented suspension, pretty vicious throttle response by 600 standards, much more low down grunt than a 4 cylinder, absolutely brutal riding position. Like any 600SS is a terrible idea for a first bike and the Daytona is just the best, and therefore worst, of the lot.

I can see someone with extraordinary self control and good judgment (or a throttle lock) learning on a Gixxer 600 or cbr600rr because they're fairly friendly at low speed but what's the point really.

Yammie Noob is the most well documented case of this. I ride many of the same roads he shows in his vids, and have yet to put myself in the hospital on them. I have even seen yellow Porsches and somehow managed to not crash into them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RadioPassive posted:

The ninja 250 is my fifth bike and holy poo poo it is fun as hell to ride, get one for your first bike.

Every skilled and mindful rider follows the path of loving the ninja 250 (or whatever learner bike) for it's ease of use/size/friendlyness, upgrading because they want more power/zoom/whatever and then a few years later coming full circle back to a ninja 250 with an arsenal of skills that facilitate ludicrous corner speed. Shortly thereafter comes the transcendant realisation that 90% of riders don't need anything more than a 250.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I just hate the buzzing sound of the 250's here in LA, I can pick one out from a mile away if it has an exhaust on it. Other than that they seem perfect on paper. Center stand, convenient helmet lock, lots of parts availability and online knowledge base, storage solutions, good mileage, cheap insurance...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If I had the wisdom of years but the skills of a sprocket I would buy a VTR250 (fantastic goodness:styling ratio), an r3 or, if made of money, an RC390. Nothing else in the segment comes close to the last two; the ninja 300 seems similar on paper to an r3 but they're chalk and cheese to ride.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Kawasaki just released the updated Ninja 300 which is now a Ninja 400 and also shed some weight. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the R3. Should be a lot of fun either way.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Amusingly you can currently walk intoa Kawasaki dealership and buy the bike you just described, badged ninja 400, or you can also buy a sleeved down 650 imported from Japan, based ninja 400.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I inadvertently watched a stuntaz video and I have questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOTNLwy7MK4

He's blaming brake fade on the "hand brake," so I'm assuming there is some kind of additional rear brake control that you can use with your hand somewhere near the front brake lever? Looks to me like he hosed up and scraped the exhaust, but I guess if you lost the rear brake and weren't quick on releasing the throttle you'd scrape the exhaust.

My youtube recommendations are going to be all messed up after watching that, it's bad enough I already get motovloggers recommended. Bonus features in the video include the obviously pissed off car that almost hits them (I don't blame the car), and the truck following the group that quickly scoops up the bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's called a thumb brake by non-simians and yeah it lets you operate the rear brake with a little paddle. What happened in that crash is he just went over the balance point and fell, the rest is just rationalising poo poo talk.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

MomJeans420 posted:

I inadvertently watched a stuntaz video and I have questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOTNLwy7MK4

He's blaming brake fade on the "hand brake," so I'm assuming there is some kind of additional rear brake control that you can use with your hand somewhere near the front brake lever? Looks to me like he hosed up and scraped the exhaust, but I guess if you lost the rear brake and weren't quick on releasing the throttle you'd scrape the exhaust.

Brake fade happens when you've been using the brakes so hard and so long that the pad material heats up and starts to lose friction. It is a problem when you are racing motorcycles (or cars) and you're either at maximum throttle or maximum-effort braking 100% of the time. It can also happen on long downhills (like, continuously descending for minutes at a time) if you drag the brakes. It doesn't happen after ten seconds of wheelieing and feathering the rear brake to keep the bike in place. He just hosed up.

99 times out of 100, idiots like that will blame the vehicle or the road (cold tires, brake fade, sand patch, oil slick, etc) rather than themselves for the crash. In reality, 99 times out of 100 they just did something dumb.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I don't know whether to be impressed or amused by the fact that they have a chase truck in anticipation of exactly this thing happening.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm the metal mulisha logo on the truck.

What's funny is how you can clearly see everything happen in the slow replay. He went past the balance point (like slavvy said) then hit the tail on the ground and lost control.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Renaissance Robot posted:

I don't know whether to be impressed or amused by the fact that they have a chase truck in anticipation of exactly this thing happening.

I was impressed, though I wonder who draws the short straw for crash duty. It's smart to have something to get the evidence out of there before the cops show up, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
looking back, there's really no argument you can present to me that would make me go back to a 250/300.
start there sure, but i sure as hell don't ride so that i can do something as pedestrian as obey the speed limits

plus the nicest sounding ones are all big boi bieks.

when the tuono dies i am torn on whether i get an S1000RR or a V4 Tuono