Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Turbinosamente posted:

Ah hahahaha he has Drake of the 99 Dragons in there. I cannot believe that somebody owns that still, no wonder he put the Xbox away for a while. poo poo I still remember reading the PC Gamer review of it and being amazed a game could score that low.

Obligatory link to Projared review for the uninformed.

That's the same engine as Advent Rising, isn't it? The aiming is similar!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

That's the same engine as Advent Rising, isn't it? The aiming is similar!

Weird. I mentioned Tommy Tallarico at work today (I don't work in the games industry) and a guy shot up out of his cube and commented on how big of a jerk he was when they brought him in to do the music for a game they had been working on at his former job. I asked what the game was and he said "Advent Rising."

I'd never heard of it before today and now it's come up here too.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I remember before Advent Rising came out Majesco was hyping it up as the next big 3 part Sci-fi epic that was going to save their company and be the biggest thing in gaming.

Then it tanked and basically killed Majesco with it.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

LuiCypher posted:

Did you go to the Goodwill in DC on South Dakota Ave., or the one closest to you (aka not in DC)?

If you did go to the one in DC, I know where I'm going this weekend.

Sorry, the one by me out in Manassas. Moved out to the burbs, well, the sticks... i think a lot of the beltway Goodwill stores shipped valuables to a location in Maryland that lists them on the auction site

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 3, 2018

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Is the NES version of Sim City ever getting released? Why not done?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Is the NES version of Sim City ever getting released? Why not done?

Frank's probably busy. Maybe the agreement for the dumping came with a condition for the timing of the release. Maybe they're waiting until Nintendo is distracted enough to not notice.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Yeah was waiting for something like this, all the sacred cows are going to fall.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The legitimate high score for centipede is actually 12.

edit: todd has just emailed me claiming to have scored 14

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Discount Viscount posted:

Frank's probably busy. Maybe the agreement for the dumping came with a condition for the timing of the release. Maybe they're waiting until Nintendo is distracted enough to not notice.

OK. Cool. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I'd never get to play. I absolutely need to hear that soundtrack.

I wonder if the second prototype was further along in development?

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I am sure that is not the only drama involving them that will come to light in the near future.
TG always seemed shady and amateurish in the way they did business.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I seem to recall there being a dedicated thread for retro PC gaming, does anyone have a link to it? I’ve got a question about a game on GOG and I didn’t want to clutter up this thread if this isn’t the place to ask about it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I seem to recall there being a dedicated thread for retro PC gaming, does anyone have a link to it? I’ve got a question about a game on GOG and I didn’t want to clutter up this thread if this isn’t the place to ask about it.

It's in the OP

e: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577352

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Sigh. The TSOP-flashed Xbox has begun to do the “only turns off when I unplug it” thing.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So the creator of Honk Kong '97 finally spoke out about the game

http://www.scmp.com/culture/arts-entertainment/article/2129690/developer-worlds-worst-video-game-hong-kong-1997-ends

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
No offense but that's been posted in this thread 3x in the last few days. (Just trying to prevent a 4th!)

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

A herd of fuckin ugly posts are rushing from the subforum.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Is this a bad time to mention that there’s a Twin Galaxies record that I could probably crush, given a week’s worth of prep? I don’t really give a poo poo what the internal politic is with the organization, or that Billy Mitchell physically bumps into me at every convention we’ve both attended- I’ll be amazed if I can carry a single Gyruss world record in my lifetime.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

falz posted:

No offense but that's been posted in this thread 3x in the last few days. (Just trying to prevent a 4th!)

Oh, sorry about that. I just found it posted on another site

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

poo poo, sorry, I should have thought to look there first. Thanks!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

poo poo, sorry, I should have thought to look there first. Thanks!

pff nah not reading the front page OP is time honored SA tradition

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/HDRetrovision/status/960184261725835264

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

:getin:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Can't wait for those to be ordered.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I'm guessing TVs no longer come with VGA inputs?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Ofecks posted:

or svideo

or component

or composite

my ks8000 only came with hdmi inputs and the model is almost two years old.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Ofecks posted:

Normal consumer ones, yeah, but you can still get current year TVs with VGA and analog inputs if you're willing to dig. Samsung uses a dongle that covers composite and component so the connectors don't take up too much space, for example.

Doubt we'll ever see DVI or S-Video again though, no reason for them to bother.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

polygon has a giant article today about the guys at analogue

https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/5/16965328/analogue-super-nintendo-super-nt-making-of

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Sir Tonk posted:

Normal consumer ones, yeah, but you can still get current year TVs with VGA and analog inputs if you're willing to dig. Samsung uses a dongle that covers composite and component so the connectors don't take up too much space, for example.

this made me double-check to see if my tv was hiding one of these inputs somewhere, but no luck.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Replaying Xenogears and I forgot how awful some of the Square late 90s mini games they would stick in all their PS1 games can be. Tried to do the high and low card game that shows up on the Thames and just couldn't bare with the cheating AI after a point. It was fine in the first or so person you play as they move the same as you do, but the third one is twice your speed and literally just bullshit out of their rear end to make sure they get the entire deck put out without fail while you get stuck with a bunch of the same cards but can't put them down fast enough since the AI moves twice your speed.

Still love the game even if it a janky mess (sewer dungeon, disc 2), but man I don't miss the PS1 era mini games that were everywhere. At least the dumb fighting game with the Gears was pretty easy, mostly since I am so used to 3D fighting games at this point so it easy to cheese with the range weapons.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yeah, the KS8000 onward have HDMI only. You're not going to get anything less than HDMI, and if you want something less than HDMI, you're going to have to buy an external device to convert it to HDMI (and thus may as well just be buying an XRGB-Mini or OSSC or something, though I'm not fond of the resolution-switch delay on the former and have no experience with the latter).

I'm kind of annoyed at the loss of S-Video on the TVs that actually do have less than HDMI, honestly. It's like, you can use composite, which looks pretty bad, or use component, which probably doesn't even support 240p, with nothing in-between. Ah, well...

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

S-Video was never terribly popular out of special applications so it's not surprising that it was the first input to go.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Maybe someday retrogaming will be popular enough that a company will step up and start manufacturing CRTs again with proper inputs that meet our needs.

:lol:

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Ofecks posted:

Maybe someday retrogaming will be popular enough that a company will step up and start manufacturing CRTs again with proper inputs that meet our needs.

we just need fpga-simulated versions of every pre-hd console

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

yeah I think these will be around for at least a little while longer on account of DVD players

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ofecks posted:

Many do, especially when they're sold as "digital signage" or whatever - same devices except they sometimes don't bother to have OTA tuning included. You can still totally walk into any Best Buy and have a few choices with VGA ready to go.

Ofecks posted:

That exists, there's suppliers that primarily make CRT displays for military/government/industrial uses and which are available with any sort of connection anyone might have needed in the past.

You just uh, better have a few thousand bucks on hand to order them.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I get the oppressive feeling that Melee types will keep those palms nice and greased.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ofecks posted:

http://formeelec.en.made-in-china.com/product-group/iePJEmIxjURB/CRT-TV-catalog-1.html

One of those Chinese manufacturers could probably be contracted to do a run with extra inputs. But they would probably want a minimum order of at least a thousand units ($30 per unit seems to be the typical price, so do the math), there might be extra costs for engineering and modifications to the manufacturing process, and then there's freight costs.

And, of course, the end product might just be a piece of crap anyway, so:

sudo rm -rf posted:

we just need fpga-simulated versions of every pre-hd console

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I mean, what's left to FPGA simulate, the N64 and Saturn?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Elliotw2 posted:

I mean, what's left to FPGA simulate, the N64 and Saturn?

and the ps1

and someday maybe even gen 6 consoles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
FPGA PS1/2 would be so amazing if it is something in the realm of possibility. Kevtris is basically the only guy actually making significant progress in this field right? Let's give him all the money.