Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Inspector_666 posted:

That's one of the dumb trivia questions I'll always be able to get right because it's such a nice easy number: 100 meters.

But yeah I assume you weren't interviewing for a cable pulling job so...

Well, not only cable pullers should know that, I mean, if I test a cable and it comes back as 150m, I need to know that info (or know enough to go look it up) because that's why yo poo poo ain't working.

Still a dumb interview question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sprechensiesexy posted:

A long time ago I had a phone interview with a major butt company. I was asked the maximum length of an ethernet cable and more of that trivia bullshit. I withdrew my application while wrapping up the call.

“Long enough to hang myself, which would be important if your interview questions reflect what it’s like to work at your company.”

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MF_James posted:

Well, not only cable pullers should know that, I mean, if I test a cable and it comes back as 150m, I need to know that info (or know enough to go look it up) because that's why yo poo poo ain't working.

Still a dumb interview question.

I’d categorize this as one of those thing that isn’t important to know the exact numbers on but is important to know that there are limits and roughly what they are.

Running into limitations on DAC cable length is a fairly regular occurrence for me, and something customers evidently rarely think of when purchasing cables.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’d categorize this as one of those thing that isn’t important to know the exact numbers on but is important to know that there are limits and roughly what they are.

Running into limitations on DAC cable length is a fairly regular occurrence for me, and something customers evidently rarely think of when purchasing cables.

Yeah exactly, I don't need to know every standards max/min, but I should know there are limits and be like hmmm this cable is 200m, that sounds a little long... "Alexa what is the max length for a standard patch cable"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sickening posted:

Interviews that turn into IT trivia are a huge waste of time.

I honestly haven't be grilled with IT trivia in a while. The most I was ever grilled was at an MSP back before I knew any better. One swarmy gently caress was grilling me for the IOS commands.

:colbert: "What is the IOS command to set the time"
:rolleye: "set ntp server x.x.x.x, set ntp client enable"

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Thanks Ants posted:

That's about all there is to it - and no they weren't talking about IPv6. I think they probably were trying to be a bit clever and use CIDR notation for stuff but didn't really know enough about it.

This is the same company that's using somebody else's IPv4 address space on their LAN because why the gently caress not?

Previous company I was at was still using internet-routable addresses on their internal network, a common address space for .edu sites. Led to a lot of said .edu sites not being reachable from inside the company.
They were mostly moved to a 10.x.x.x address space, but pretty much every printer, and some other devices, that hadn't been replaced in the last 3 or 4 years was still using 128.x.x.x.
Whatever twit set up their network apparently wasn't concerned about connecting to that new-fangled internet when they moved off of Token Ring in the 90s.

edit: and I'm with you guys on memorizing minutia. That poo poo can be looked up as needed. It's more important to know *how* things work, or don't, than the exact numbers, and more importantly, how to troubleshoot. (Step 1: is it plugged in. Step 2: is it turned on. Step 3: did you reboot. Step 4: aw, crap - really got to troubleshoot now.)

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 6, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We have some 1st line guys that are still picking up the art of troubleshooting - they need to get to the “Is it actually an issue” phase pretty quick or they’re going to waste loads of time chasing down problems that aren’t problems. Like people phoning in about slow internet - what throughput are they getting, what service is provisioned, what traffic is the firewall seeing. Take a step back and stop opening tickets with vendors when there’s nothing wrong.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Sickening posted:

Interviews that turn into IT trivia are a huge waste of time.

I honestly haven't be grilled with IT trivia in a while. The most I was ever grilled was at an MSP back before I knew any better. One swarmy gently caress was grilling me for the IOS commands.

:colbert: "What is the IOS command to set the time"

:derp: "No clue, I would have to look it up or use the help command"

:colbert: "So you don't know?"

:derp: "No, is that something you really have memorized?" "How often do you really need to set a clock on a cisco switch?"

I'll cop to using IT trivia.

If I ask a 5-year ASA expert the NAT order of precedence, I don't require a flawless regurgitation. I do expect an experienced candidate to have fixed NAT issues in the past, and know what to look for--by their tools ye shall know them. People that don't have a solid understanding generally take longer to solve issues and are more likely to cause them. I try to ask a good mix of questions to cover typical problems, but you'd be surprised how many people think slapping a config on a device for a few years makes them an expert.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm told I have the opposite problem. I keep believing I barely know anything about anything IT related because I know how much I don't know. Apparently I get by enough to not get fired.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm not sure how to gauge a mid level sys admin's level of expertise without asking them questions about the job they're interviewing for.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm not sure how to gauge a mid level sys admin's level of expertise without asking them questions about the job they're interviewing for.

Do you want a textbook or a problem solver? They’re talking about questions a textbook can answer.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Contingency posted:

I'll cop to using IT trivia.

If I ask a 5-year ASA expert the NAT order of precedence, I don't require a flawless regurgitation. I do expect an experienced candidate to have fixed NAT issues in the past, and know what to look for--by their tools ye shall know them. People that don't have a solid understanding generally take longer to solve issues and are more likely to cause them. I try to ask a good mix of questions to cover typical problems, but you'd be surprised how many people think slapping a config on a device for a few years makes them an expert.

Maybe that's worked for you, but I think that's nat a good way to assess skill.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I thought we all agreed that networks are dead and the cloud solved it all.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Maybe that's worked for you, but I think that's nat a good way to assess skill.

I hope you weren’t expecting a pat on the back for this joke

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Docjowles posted:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If I knew enough about a candidate's thing of expertise to quiz them on it, I'd already be doing it myself.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jaegerx posted:

I thought we all agreed that networks are dead and the cloud solved it all.

We're just rolling it up from the bottom to squeeze that last little bit out.

Vulture Culture posted:

If I knew enough about a candidate's thing of expertise to quiz them on it, I'd already be doing it myself.

Even for a thing that needs more than one thing-toucher?

Or a thing I used to do, but now I'm promoted and I'm in the best position to asses ability and knowledge?

I agree that trivia like "give me all the flags on this little used CLI command" are bullshit. But I definitely am going to see if someone has foundational knowledge of thing beyond taking their world for it.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 6, 2018

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Even then, what's a mid level sys admin's level of expertise? Probably the hardest (IT) job to interview someone for. I've never done it, but I almost gotta believe you are way better off promoting a junior guy into a mid level position.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Docjowles posted:

This is a pun overflow.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Quiz questions need to be fundamental and more importantly you need to ask a few with much different scope unless you're looking for someone with a very narrow set of knowledge.

If I was interviewing someone for a Network engineer position, I might ask how they would go about connecting a remote site back to the head office, what technologies would they use, how would they configure routing, and then what kind of problems they might encounter while doing so. They may answer the routing part perfectly but not know much about IPSec, that doesn't mean they are a bad candidate.

As opposed to being like "describe how IPSec SA is setup", "describe the functions of BGP route reflectors", etc.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

abigserve posted:

Quiz questions need to be fundamental and more importantly you need to ask a few with much different scope unless you're looking for someone with a very narrow set of knowledge.

If I was interviewing someone for a Network engineer position, I might ask how they would go about connecting a remote site back to the head office, what technologies would they use, how would they configure routing, and then what kind of problems they might encounter while doing so. They may answer the routing part perfectly but not know much about IPSec, that doesn't mean they are a bad candidate.

As opposed to being like "describe how IPSec SA is setup", "describe the functions of BGP route reflectors", etc.

Yes, give them a problem and see how they solve it (or not).

Although if you have packet analysis as a skill in your resume, you can be drat sure I'm gonna slam a (simple) pcap in front of you and ask what you can tell me about it. Not a tcpdump, that would be cruel. Just a Wireshark capture. Just identify things, I don't even need it to be a some issue with communication. Just tell me what you see.

I got burned more than once, so I always ask now if applicable.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

abigserve posted:

This is the toughest / easiest part of IT hiring. You are looking for a capability and desire to learn, along with the right mindset for troubleshooting and general problem solving. Anyone with those skills can learn the specifics of any IT job with the right time investment.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
I liked asking linux sysadmins i was screening to list as many ways they could to determine the current time.

there's one precisely wrong answer (time), one default correct answer (date) and then about a hundred varied ways to get it by using standard unix tools in creative ways.

you really can learn just how well someone actually gets linux or not with that one

no it's not fair to people who lack experience.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Papa John Misty posted:

Related to domainchat, I bought [lastname].pizza and plan to use first@lastname.pizza on my resume etc as a filter for companies with no sense of humor
This post inspired me and now I want to do the same thing. Who's the cheapest slash best institution to purchase this awful domain from?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Sniep posted:

I liked asking linux sysadmins i was screening to list as many ways they could to determine the current time.

there's one precisely wrong answer (time), one default correct answer (date) and then about a hundred varied ways to get it by using standard unix tools in creative ways.

you really can learn just how well someone actually gets linux or not with that one

time date

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I agree that IT Trivia questions are dumb in interviews.
But when you do get asked one and you nail it. It feels good

When I went to interview for an internship. I got asked a few trivia questions, But I had recently studied them so it was still fresh in my mind and was able to answer them and in turn impressed the interviewer.
I walked out of there knowing i would get the internship.

More recently, for my last interview, I got asked how I would script certain tasks, I didn't have to write it out, but i had to describe how I would script it out.

I liked this more than trivia. As it paints a better picture of my skills.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:yotj:

Finally a role that is strictly network engineering, so no more end users, printers and broken cell phones. Money is good, certs and training are paid for. And the best part is I get to leave the Netherlands.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Where are you going to?

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Prague

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Can I take your spot in the Netherlands? I'll bring my bicycle.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My last interview involved like 3 IT questions, and then a bunch of questions on subjects such as "if you are dealing with an angry professor, and they REALLY want a new computer, how do you handle that?"

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This post inspired me and now I want to do the same thing. Who's the cheapest slash best institution to purchase this awful domain from?

I was about to point out that if the OP already registered it, then it would be taken. Then it twigged :D

I registered http://tortil.la years ago when Laos sold their TLD to some guys in Los Angeles, still don't really know what to do with it :D

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sniep posted:

ddate

Edit:
Nevermind, it only gives date, not time and I don't think you can make it give the time with switches.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

adorai posted:

Even then, what's a mid level sys admin's level of expertise? Probably the hardest (IT) job to interview someone for. I've never done it, but I almost gotta believe you are way better off promoting a junior guy into a mid level position.
The deeper I get in this field, the less I believe that descriptors like "junior" and "mid-level" and "senior" are even real or meaningful in a systems engineering or software development context. They're nice descriptors for roles that don't change much, like a senior accountant or a senior actuary. But there are so many things that people are expected to understand and be able to deliver on in systems-focused roles that I'm not at all convinced there's a meaningful way of labeling the difference.

I hire for people who can level up the team in something. Hiring for lack of weaknesses, which is what most technical interviews stress, means I end up with a team that is at best very marginally better than they were. Hiring for people with great strengths and big weaknesses means people can mentor each other and grow organically on the job.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

ddate

Edit:
Nevermind, it only gives date, not time and I don't think you can make it give the time with switches.

I love it when ddate gets mentioned. Nobody ever recognizes it when I mention it though :(

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sniep posted:

I'm not a Linux sysadmin per se but I think the most ridiculous way I know of would be to touch a new file, get a long directory listing, grep the filename, awk the second to last column when split by whitespace, then delete the file to hide my shame.

E: assuming you didn't create a file with whitespace in the name

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sniep posted:

I suspect my first answer would be 'look at the clock widget' tbh

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Now I'm just trying to come up with the goofiest way to do this.

code:
touch lol; ls -l lol

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So today I learn I am getting an award. Nice! Does it come with a bonus? No. Boo.

I am however sent an email saying I am going to be the employee spotlight for this month. HR sent me these questions to answer.

• What gets you out of bed in the morning?
• How would you describe your day job to a child?
• What is your biggest achievement to date – personal or professional?
• What does a typical day look like for you and what are you currently working on?
• What three words would you use to describe your role?
• If you could switch jobs with someone, who would it be?
• What is on your wish list for your next five years here?
• What are your biggest professional challenges?
• If you could choose anyone, who would you pick as your mentor?
• If you could change one thing about working here, what would it be?
• What do you like most about your job?
• What advice would you give to recent new entrants?
• What’s your most memorable facepalm moment?
• When was the last time you laughed so hard you cried?
• What is your motto or personal mantra?
• What’s your favorite blog?
• What’s the most recent app you’ve downloaded but are yet to use?
• Given a chance, who would you like to be for a day?
• What’s your favorite line from a film?
• What is your guilty pleasure?

My "bah humbug" self is having a rough morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I really don't ever want to be interviewed again by anyone ever. I think I've had enough.

EDIT: I would rather slit my wrists than answer questions like that. But since I have obligations I would give fake answers wherever possible.