Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

M42 posted:

With the $100 racetech tool? That thing doesn’t need strength to use 🤔 just a workbench vise and a drill. A goon showed me the order of operations for internal disassembly but they’re honestly pretty easy if you have the pricy tools.

Xylo, right side up forks are way easier. Throw some emulators in there. :discourse:

Already has em but the biek was parked in a dude's living room for like 4 years before I bought it. Probably could use an inspection at least.

Ill take it for a track day this year and get the suspension set up by the guy there so he'll be able to tell me the condition of the suspension a little more intelligently. It also has an Ohlins rear shock for all that sexy gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Already has em but the biek was parked in a dude's living room for like 4 years before I bought it. Probably could use an inspection at least.

Ill take it for a track day this year and get the suspension set up by the guy there so he'll be able to tell me the condition of the suspension a little more intelligently. It also has an Ohlins rear shock for all that sexy gold.

Fun option:

Get CBR F3 forks (95-98) for around $125 on ebay and swap the internals into your SV lowers, and reassemble using the F3 tubes. You now have adjustable stealth cartridge forks that use the SV wheel, axle, fender, rotor, caliper, and MC. Best thing short of a full front end swap. The F3 forks are longer than the SV's (the N, I believe the SV650S has longer tubes for the clipons), so you have to run them up through the triple a bit. You can easily sell your drilled damper rods and emulators for more than the cost of the F3 forks, and a true cartridge will always be better than an emulator. Race Tech even makes gold valves for them and can tune them in for you. They'd also be adjustable without having to fish the emulator out of the fork, making the set up a helluva lot easier.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Gorson posted:

Fun option:

Get CBR F3 forks (95-98) for around $125 on ebay and swap the internals into your SV lowers, and reassemble using the F3 tubes. You now have adjustable stealth cartridge forks that use the SV wheel, axle, fender, rotor, caliper, and MC. Best thing short of a full front end swap.

oh my god this is loving genius.

brb gotta go dig my spare F3 forks out of the shed.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Adjusted the chain slack, which while I wasn't looking went so far out of spec it was scraping the centre stand :magical:

I've no idea if the wheel is centred correctly because the stand gets in the way of the string test method and I don't have a paddock stand, so I tried to eyeball it by looking at the gap between the each side of the sprocket and the inner edge of the chain links.

I know the done thing is usually to count turns on the adjuster screw to keep everything matched, but the adjuster design on this bike has a crazy amount of slop in it, almost a full turn before the axle starts moving in the other direction, and I can't tell if the screws were left all the way back or forward or what last time it was done. Also the adjuster marker on the left side is loose so the notch moves a ton when you tighten the axle nut :cripes:

The chain is completely knackered in any case, the rollers are so stretched out it doesn't fully mesh with the sprocket anymore; I'll be getting it replaced as soon as I can figure out what size I need to buy. I've looked at the joining link on the old one but can't see a number.

I realise I could sidestep this puzzle by also getting new sprockets but ughhhhhh :retrogames:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Just get a motion pro chain alignment tool

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

M42 posted:

:aaaaa:

This is awesome.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Was going to say the same. Great tool and unlike some of the other mopro stuff it is reasonably priced.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I will consider investing in such a device once I can afford :10bux:

Apart from the aforementioned slop making me paranoid, I was pleasantly surprised by how easy a job this was now I have a big enough socket to do it. Still wish this bike had the eccentric wheel type adjuster from the ZX11 though.

Oh yeah, I remembered something else: manual says to loosen the bolts on the brake torque link before moving the wheel. I wasn't able to do this, it's all locked up tight and I can't fit a cheater bar in there. How big of a deal is this?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

M42 posted:

I never felt the need for something like this, or understood why it was needed if the bike. But I hate everything about chain maintenance so I impulse bought it for that extra bit of accuracy and laziness.

Also adjusting the chain on the grom is hell, so I'll use this for that.

tjones
May 13, 2005
In my experience, I'll agree that adjusting chain slack with an already aligned tire is trivial.

Where that tool shines is when you have to replace the adjusters themselves, or make huge sweeping adjustments in one go. It takes a ton of guess work out of the initial process of getting back into the ball park.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pfffffff look at all these people with dual-sided swingarms. Having to adjust their axle alignment with nuts and bolts like some kind of plebian. The very idea

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

Pfffffff look at all these people with dual-sided swingarms. Having to adjust their axle alignment with nuts and bolts like some kind of plebian. The very idea

Don't you have bikes with 2 rear shocks?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah but those bikes are supposed to be wonky because it gives them character, the same way they get character from cable-operated drum brakes and pogo-stick shocks.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah but those bikes are supposed to be wonky because it gives them character, the same way they get character from cable-operated drum brakes and pogo-stick shocks.

Counterpoint: I have 2 VFR's and I can never find the right goddamn wrench to adjust my chain slack so I use a screwdriver and hammer instead.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

"Ok old girl, time for you to go to a new home! But first, let's see...ooh I'm definitely keeping that claw spanner, might come in handy one day!" - every SSA PO since the dawn of time.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Please don't dox me with half of the KTM toolkit, thank you.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I might wanna get another 2v Ducati some day, get your own special pulley wrench!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Adjusted the chain slack, which while I wasn't looking went so far out of spec it was scraping the centre stand :magical:

I've no idea if the wheel is centred correctly because the stand gets in the way of the string test method and I don't have a paddock stand, so I tried to eyeball it by looking at the gap between the each side of the sprocket and the inner edge of the chain links.

I know the done thing is usually to count turns on the adjuster screw to keep everything matched, but the adjuster design on this bike has a crazy amount of slop in it, almost a full turn before the axle starts moving in the other direction, and I can't tell if the screws were left all the way back or forward or what last time it was done. Also the adjuster marker on the left side is loose so the notch moves a ton when you tighten the axle nut :cripes:

The chain is completely knackered in any case, the rollers are so stretched out it doesn't fully mesh with the sprocket anymore; I'll be getting it replaced as soon as I can figure out what size I need to buy. I've looked at the joining link on the old one but can't see a number.

I realise I could sidestep this puzzle by also getting new sprockets but ughhhhhh :retrogames:

http://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/sq-ms005/ for all your chain alignment needs.

e: Oh wait that's the same thing M42 posted

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Trip report: alignment seems to be fine, but neglecting to loosen the torque arm has definitely caused the brake caliper to twist a bit. It dragged most of the ride to work until it lost enough pad to match the disc.

I wouldn't be happy leaving it like this forever, but somebody with bigger wrenches than me will be getting at it to put a new chain on within a week, so eh, it'll live until then

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Renaissance Robot posted:

It dragged most of the ride to work until it lost enough pad to match the disc.
You're gonna heat up your caliper and fluid in the lines and get brake fade.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Yes what is all this nonsense I don't understand?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Counterpoint: I have 2 VFR's and I can never find the right goddamn wrench to adjust my chain slack so I use a screwdriver and hammer instead.

A guy I know makes these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Ecce...MRZ3qo1&vxp=mtr

If your eccentric has any teeth left, heh.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Gorson posted:

Yes what is all this nonsense I don't understand?

A guy I know makes these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Ecce...MRZ3qo1&vxp=mtr

If your eccentric has any teeth left, heh.

That looks pretty nice. I might have to hit him up for one of those.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
gently caress this lovely rear end screw, I've been needing to top up my brake fluid for ages and this piece of crap crumbled to dust instantly. I don't have JIS bits, impact driver, or a dremel and a whole manner or hammering in/super glueing/jb welding driver bits into did nothing, neither did chiselling out a gap for a flat head.

In the end I got pissed off enough to just drill the thing out where it eventually disintegrated so I could use replacement screws, thank god.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Super Slash posted:

gently caress this lovely rear end screw, I've been needing to top up my brake fluid for ages and this piece of crap crumbled to dust instantly. I don't have JIS bits, impact driver, or a dremel and a whole manner or hammering in/super glueing/jb welding driver bits into did nothing, neither did chiselling out a gap for a flat head.

In the end I got pissed off enough to just drill the thing out where it eventually disintegrated so I could use replacement screws, thank god.

:neckbeard:

Now do it with exhaust header bolts! Or go high stakes and drill out some camshaft cap screws.
My least favorite is socket cap screws on brake calipers.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Get you some stainless steels with a wee bit of anti-seize and that problem is forever fixed. Should have came with them from the factory, IMO.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My least favorite is socket cap screws on brake calipers.

Stop triggering me. Why do they make them out of the shittiest worst metal ever then don't grease the threads whyyyyyy

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I installed a quickshifter on my FZ-09 and it's hysterical, highly recommend

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Which brand? I kinda want one for the SV

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I was tired of freezing on the grom while my super overpriced high output grom stator sat in the closet so I had to LAAAAYERRRR DAAAAAANNNNN

and install it in the freezing cold

Of course gently caress my life because they never sent me the connector marked "A" so the red wire from the RR has nothing to plug into and the Grom won't start. Tomorrow I'm going to start rolling the dice on if it needs to be plugged into the same wire as the AC to DC mod (which uses the same plug wires). If anyone has insight I'd love to hear it.

Also I liked my DIY shorty mitts enough to snap a pair of these off of ADVrider. They let me use my controls and mirrors again, so I'm really happy with them.
http://www.obradvgear.com/index.php/products/enduro-grip-mitt

One step closer to the perfect winter chariot.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If I'm understanding correctly the little harness bit marked A is intended to suck 12v from the taillight power without violating the factory harness.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thanks for the help! I tapped into the correct wire, and everything works perfectly now.

Then my buddy and I took the afternoon out riding with both my bikes. Grom did pretty well off road, too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Please don't use horrible insulated crimps with regular bullnose pliers, 100 pack of bullet connectors and a crimper tool set you back like thirty bucks off of Ali Express. People from the future will thank you!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You are the lead beneath my wings, Slavvy. I HAD proper crimpers, but gently caress knows where they ended up. And nothing is wrong with butt connectors and butt splices. In fact, the expensive kit had a male butt (heh) connector that I had to make a connection for.

You guys just call those bullet connectors instead of butt connectors, so I used what you recommended I use.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Changing tires and chain.

Fievel Goes Bi fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 4, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've just noticed the laughably ornamental floorboard thingy, that's amazing.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Yeah I think it’s just to put extra cargo between your legs if the rack was full. Thing is ridiculous and I love it. It’s great for runing down to the corner store and getting a case of beer.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

Changing tires and chain.

My wife would beat you to death with a blackjack. Dude... newspapers or old towels

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I did a cartridgectomy like I mentioned earlier with a spare set of Hawk legs. The only parts used from the Hawk are the lowers (sliders). Everything else is CBR F3. Springs are Race Tech.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Went out to the garage and made sure the little green light was still lit up on the tender. Stupid winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I tried changing my tires with spoons for the first time. I was able to get one done today.

I think I might pay for someone to do this for me next time.