Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I meant I moved out 1k on Saturday, but $20 should still be above the free Coinbase cutoff... if you care enough. Im not sure I would either if I hadnt already been setup, unless you continue to mine of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

mobby_6kl posted:

Nah it's $20 now, it was over $30 before :v: tbh I'm not sure I'm even going to bother at this point as I don't feel like uploading my id to coinbase (unless I can use a fake one..). Oh well, I knew there was a risk of all of this crashing down when I bought my 1070, but thankfully it was at a normal price at least.

You can buy gift cards at Gyft from coinbase without having to upload your ID.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Shifty Pony posted:

The payment routing system it proposes completely falls apart when the complexity goes past two people who know each other but usually shop at two different businesses.
Ah OK thanks.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Lmao $2.70/day on a 1080 Ti this is the lowest I have ever seen

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MaxxBot posted:

Lmao $2.70/day on a 1080 Ti this is the lowest I have ever seen

I'm just mining on CPUs now.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GeFor...5kAAOSwfphab79T

EVGA suddenly puts up 100s of 1070Tis for $570 on ebay, lol. I think I'll wait another week or two.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
So glad I put that huge clause in my eBay listings about no returns and they agree to RMA through the manufacturer, and I took videos at post office of my boxing and mailing it etc. Enjoy the hot potato!

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes
7 minutes ago:
e: oops i meant to put this in the building thread to point out some good deals but it kinda works here too.

https://twitter.com/EVGA_JacobF/status/960686128201281536

kindermord fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 6, 2018

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Meanwhile the Russian dude who bought my RX580 a month ago got his card today which now makes about 1/4 as much mining as it did when he bought it :lol:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

MaxxBot posted:

Meanwhile the Russian dude who bought my RX580 a month ago got his card today which now makes about 1/4 as much mining as it did when he bought it :lol:

Yeah, mine should be getting his 1080 shortly, too. Here's hoping they don't try to claim shenanigans and return them!

Though the $100+ in shipping they paid to get it to Novgorod may discourage that...

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
$6459 / BTC, pls nerf still too high

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Maybe it's still good money in Russia. Actually that doesn't work because they spent a poo poo load of USD for the cards. Hmm.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Maybe they're True Believers and are planning to double down during the dip and hodl.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
And here i thought liquidating at $10,500 might be ab ad idea lol

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I mean its not like it isnt profitable even in these bleak times. I'm still doing $15-$20 a day (as the BTC rate has just increased). I'm just putting actual trading on hold until this crash settles. I predict whats really going to steam my balls is when Ampere mines 90 times better and reduces these cards to nothing

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

1gnoirents posted:

I mean its not like it isnt profitable even in these bleak times. I'm still doing $15-$20 a day (as the BTC rate has just increased). I'm just putting actual trading on hold until this crash settles.
Define "settles"

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

1gnoirents posted:

I mean its not like it isnt profitable even in these bleak times. I'm still doing $15-$20 a day (as the BTC rate has just increased). I'm just putting actual trading on hold until this crash settles. I predict whats really going to steam my balls is when Ampere mines 90 times better and reduces these cards to nothing

For once, someone besides me gets to be the cautionary tale.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
$15-20 a day (times exponential decay function)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

For once, someone besides me gets to be the cautionary tale.

His descent into "no 1gnoirents, you are the demons" has been some :magical:-grade fascinating.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Define "settles"

Until Bitcoin falls to its actual value of course. its zero

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Didn't think we would see 5xxx tonight but its looking like a guarentee.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

What's great is that altcoins are crashing even harder than bitcoin itself. If your USD/day is dropping but BTC/day is steady, you can rationalize it as "mining the dip." When BTC/day is dropping like a stone too, not so much.

vvv: it's great if you want gpus to return to sane prices

Theris fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 6, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I’ve tried to figure out how that’s “great”, and I can’t.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It's great because we shall finally be done with this horror show.

Libera tutemet ex infernis.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Someone just bought so many coins at ~$6500

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
That guy in a tweet mentioned in this thread or the GPU one who bought 10+ 1080 Tis at inflated prices last month must be feeling so ecstatic now

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

My friend bought a $6k mining rig a month ago and he hasn't even got it fully working properly yet :lol:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dont own more cards than can reasonably be used in gaming PCs i already have so im pretty ok. I did order a mobo and psu for a rig that is still within the return window yay

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Palladium posted:

That guy in a tweet mentioned in this thread or the GPU one who bought 10+ 1080 Tis at inflated prices last month must be feeling so ecstatic now

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

The couple that mines together... stays together

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Craptacular! posted:

Because bitcoins are stupid and I want to upgrade my video card soon.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

It's great for literally everyone and everything not specifically invested in trading altcoins

It's great for consumers who want to buy GPUs for scientific computing, gaming, etc

It's great for people who use electricity, since cryptocurrency mining is a huge source of electricity demand around the world

It's great for the environment, since fossil fuels are still a dominant source of electricity

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

QuarkJets posted:

It's great for literally everyone and everything not specifically invested in trading altcoins

It's great for consumers who want to buy GPUs for scientific computing, gaming, etc

It's great for people who use electricity, since cryptocurrency mining is a huge source of electricity demand around the world

It's great for the environment, since fossil fuels are still a dominant source of electricity

All of this. I have some cryptocurrency, but a huge correction is basically good in a lot of ways. People who bought at the peak are screwed, though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Because bitcoins are stupid and I want to upgrade my video card soon.

You want my 1070? :v:

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

My friend bought a $6k mining rig a month ago and he hasn't even got it fully working properly yet :lol:

Lol what is with people dropping several grand as an "investment" and then just faffing about in actually turning it on.

"Hmm my ROI is roughly 120 days, what's a couple months of sitting idle?"

(Also I dislike how ROI has been redefined by miners as the time until the investment is hypothetically repaid)

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
It makes sense if you think of it as Recovery Of Investment instead of Return On Investment, and further justify it by noting it's another example of where buttcoiners have misunderstood fundamental economic principles and functions.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I think it's time to stop mining digital money for a long time, because I highly doubt the profit over electricity cost nowadays is going to break even.

Lightning might as well be bitcoin's last hope, because it's going to take a goddamn miracle to keep it stable and rising.

Sorry kids, but we won't be going to the moon this year. :(

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

DrDork posted:

It makes sense if you think of it as Recovery Of Investment instead of Return On Investment, and further justify it by noting it's another example of where buttcoiners have misunderstood fundamental economic principles and functions.
This never stopped being true:

100% pure profit!!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Etherium difficulty if starting to drop.

https://eth.nanopool.org/stats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Etherium difficulty if starting to drop.

https://eth.nanopool.org/stats

The one time I’m happy to live in a red state with cheap power.

• Locked thread