Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Can someone how explain, however in-depth or briefly, why Superbowl ads became such a big cultural event?

Its always been so weird seeing people so excited about ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Not Operator posted:

Can someone how explain, however in-depth or briefly, why Superbowl ads became such a big cultural event?

Super Bowl is most watched television program in the US, advertisers pay fortunes to run ads then, to stand out in front of a new audience ads are new and intended to be the highest quality an advertiser produces, consumers realize the best of an artistic medium happens during the game and a cycle is born.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Not Operator posted:

The Superbowl has typically been the most watched event in the US, so getting something out there is important to advertise things, since just about everyone would see it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Not Operator posted:

Since most of any given football game is spent standing around waiting for the next play, there's more action in the ads than on the field.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Not only is the XFL coming back with NO KNEELING EVER it's also being advertised via some loving baffling early 2000s grade flash clips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGO83ioQs1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Q-q6Un3UA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20hsMv5zdJQ

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Not Operator posted:

Another aspect beyond "big tv event = big viewers for our ad" is the fact that lots of people host or go to Super Bowl Parties and I've heard many people who aren't football fans specifically say they aren't interested in the game but are watching specifically for the half-time show/commercials.
For years Super Bowl ads have also had a sort of water cooler effect where people the next day at work talk about the ads and which ones were good or not.
It seems weird now because with the advent of streaming and things like Youtube you can watch all the ads at your leisure instead of having to watch the Super Bowl or risk missing them. Superbowl ads being a "thing" is basically a carryover from when broadcast tv was at its height and it will continue to be because Americans are dumb and need things to post on social media about.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

King of Foolians posted:

Another aspect beyond "big tv event = big viewers for our ad" is the fact that lots of people host or go to Super Bowl Parties and I've heard many people who aren't football fans specifically say they aren't interested in the game but are watching specifically for the half-time show/commercials.
For years Super Bowl ads have also had a sort of water cooler effect where people the next day at work talk about the ads and which ones were good or not.
It seems weird now because with the advent of streaming and things like Youtube you can watch all the ads at your leisure instead of having to watch the Super Bowl or risk missing them. Superbowl ads being a "thing" is basically a carryover from when broadcast tv was at its height and it will continue to be because Americans are dumb and need things to post on social media about.
There's a social aspect to it as well, though. Asking, "Why don't they just watch the ads on YouTube?" is as inane as asking "Why do people go to bars when buying alcohol in bulk is so much cheaper?"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
When I was a kid I think there were actually more commercials ads that were never intended to air at any time other than the Superbowl. Now though The Superbowl seems to be the start of the new season of advertising campaings

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Next in unnecessarily gendered products: PepsiCo doesn't realize women eat chips, seeks to make a lady-friendly crunchless dainty chip that we will no longer be ashamed to consume.

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/indra-nooyi/

Pepsi idiot posted:

DUBNER: I understand that men and women eat chips very differently. Can you tell us the differences?

NOOYI: When you eat out of a flex bag — one of our single-serve bags — especially as you watch a lot of the young guys eat the chips, they love their Doritos, and they lick their fingers with great glee, and when they reach the bottom of the bag they pour the little broken pieces into their mouth, because they don’t want to lose that taste of the flavor, and the broken chips in the bottom. Women would love to do the same, but they don’t. They don’t like to crunch too loudly in public. And they don’t lick their fingers generously and they don’t like to pour the little broken pieces and the flavor into their mouth.

DUBNER: So is there a male and female version of chips that you’re playing with, or no?

NOOYI: It’s not a male and female as much as “are there snacks for women that can be designed and packaged differently?” And yes, we are looking at it, and we’re getting ready to launch a bunch of them soon. For women,  low-crunch, the full taste profile, not have so much of the flavor stick on the fingers, and how can you put it in a purse? Because women love to carry a snack in their purse. The whole design capability we built in PepsiCo was to allow design to work with innovation. Not just on packaging colors, but to go through the entire cycle, and say, “All the way to the product in the pantry, or how it’s being carried around, or how they eat it in the car, or drink it in the car, what should be the design of the product, the package, the experience, so that we can influence the entire chain?”

This woman has never actually seen another woman eat a chip before. We turn into enraged monsters when we consume chips. Just try taking one from my bag, I fuckin dare you.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

Next in unnecessarily gendered products: PepsiCo doesn't realize women eat chips, seeks to make a lady-friendly crunchless dainty chip that we will no longer be ashamed to consume.

This woman has never actually seen another woman eat a chip before. We turn into enraged monsters when we consume chips. Just try taking one from my bag, I fuckin dare you.

Lol truth

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Picnic Princess posted:

Ew imagine biting a "low crunch" chip and how stale your brain would tell you it was. They've loving done studies on this the crunch is like at least a third of what makes chips good

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Being a man, I naturally eat with my mouth as open as possible, constantly spewing forth spittle and bits of food. I laugh at these fainthearted timid women.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This is the same woman whose family expected her to go get milk for them while CEO and does not understand that her story doesnt help shed light on how women balance their personal life and careers as much as it shows how completely out of touch she is from reality and how goddamn stupid her family is so a crunchless chip isnt a surprise

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I expected a more competent sexism from you, PepsiCo. You couldn't even spin it as this?

Fake spokesperson "We observed a behavior in some people who don't eat chips normally. Further research lead us to try changing the changing the texture, the firmness, and how seasonings are added to the chips. More women preferred the new product then men. But both sexes enjoyed the new snacking experience".

That took like one minute to BS off the top of my head, and they could still run a female focused ad campaign without poisoning the brand.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

sweeperbravo posted:

Ew imagine biting a "low crunch" chip and how stale your brain would tell you it was. They've loving done studies on this the crunch is like at least a third of what makes chips good

I remember reading an article on that, how Doritos need to have a break point of exactly 4.2psi or something like that to have the optimal crunch.

Also that the powder on the outside isn't necessary for them to taste the way they do, but people expect to have orange fingers afterwards.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Memento posted:

I remember reading an article on that, how Doritos need to have a break point of exactly 4.2psi or something like that to have the optimal crunch.

Also that the powder on the outside isn't necessary for them to taste the way they do, but people expect to have orange fingers afterwards.

I think that is an article about how they made the Taco Bell shells. It is some real food scientist poo poo.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I will fight anyone who tries to give me a non crunchy chip. I've left bags of chips open in humid environments and they're loving gross the next day.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
What I figured is that it could be like a stealth chip. So you can eat it when your partner is sleeping, or your not trying to make a big noise or something.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

See now THAT is a marketing campaign.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

bunnyofdoom posted:

What I figured is that it could be like a stealth chip. So you can eat it when your partner is sleeping, or your not trying to make a big noise or something.

If they made something that crunched properly without the noise and also opened silently, parents everywhere would buy them in droves.

If I want my kids to stop whatever it is they're doing all I need to do is open a packet of chips in the opposite end of the house.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Remember when SunChips made a bag that was louder than a lawnmower.

https://gizmodo.com/5616427/sunchips-new-100-compostable-bag-is-hilariously-ear-damagingly-loud

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

I will fight anyone who tries to give me a non crunchy chip.

:hai:

bunnyofdoom posted:

not trying to make a big noise or something.

yall remember the compostable sunchip bags

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
Unironically guillotine that CEO for coming up with the idea of ~Women's Chips~ imo.

Don't worry motherfucker, we'll make sure it's pink and costs more than a regular guillotine!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Telemaze posted:

Unironically guillotine that CEO for coming up with the idea of ~Women's Chips~ imo.

Don't worry motherfucker, we'll make sure it's pink and costs more than a regular guillotine!

Guillotines have no pockets, so they're already made for women.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hell, a whole lineup of similar silent snacks for movie theaters. Noisy snackers are a familiar complaint in a theater.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

It's not Monsieur guillotine, after all.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Picnic Princess posted:

I am PMS as gently caress right now, and literally just ate an entire bag of Doritos --- which I almost never buy except this time of the month --- with all the delicate grace of a famished pitbull. I enjoyed smashing those crispy chips between my teeth like a tyrannosaur, and sucking the salty neon orange dust off my fingers like a deer at a salt lick.

You want to sell snacks to women? Come up with a hyper-crunchy treat that's like, I dunno, chocolate covered pretzels dusted with cayenne, slap some snarky pro-woman name and taglines on it. IIRC there's already a hot sauce called "Angry Woman", but name it something along those lines, put it in a :black101: bag, and I'd be walking back down to 7-11 right now for that. A snack that truly understands my gustatory and mental needs right now.

gently caress your clean smushy chips, Pepsi lady. I'd hate your idea any other time, but I really hate it right now.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

JacquelineDempsey posted:

chocolate covered pretzels dusted with cayenne

market them as Bitch Twists

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/sheaserrano/status/960665643854024706

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

This reminds me of BIC, Pens For Her because our hands can't use normal pens idk.

I would like crunchless chips on planes or movie theaters maybe? Definitely better as a stealth chip.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Aren't stealth chips just rice cakes?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
No, rice cakes are despair.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Not only is the XFL coming back with NO KNEELING EVER it's also being advertised via some loving baffling early 2000s grade flash clips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGO83ioQs1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Q-q6Un3UA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20hsMv5zdJQ

Football is chess played by giant men. None of these ads make me want to watch the XFL again. I gave it a chance back in the day. It sucked then, it'll suck now. There are rules to the game of football. If I want to watch constant action, I'll watch soccer. Football is a game of strategy and yards. TV timeouts suck, yes, but we're used to them. It gives you a chance to got to the john, chat with your friends, go to the kitchen, diddle around. Does anyone even watch ads on TV anymore? I just play with my phone if I've got nothing better to do.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Phlegmish posted:

Being a man, I naturally eat with my mouth as open as possible, constantly spewing forth spittle and bits of food. I laugh at these fainthearted timid women.

I just shove the whole bag in my mouth without even opening it. I'm so manly I can eat it all in one huge bite.

The whole time I shout at the top of my lungs "I AM EATING CHIPS AND EVERYBODY MUST KNOW ABOUT IT. I HAVE CONQUERED THIS BAG OF CHIPS WITH MY RAW MANLINESS. NO CHIP EXISTS THAT IS CRUNCHY AND LOUD ENOUGH FOR ME. I WANT CHIPS THAT SOUND LIKE A JACKHAMMER CHEWING ON THEM AND COAT THE WHOLE BUILDING IN ORANGE DUST."

Because I am a man, you see. I must be as obnoxious and filthy as possible. I also pour motor oil on my chips before I eat them.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Same but I do it while manspreading on public transport

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mostlygray posted:

Football is chess played by giant men. None of these ads make me want to watch the XFL again. I gave it a chance back in the day. It sucked then, it'll suck now. There are rules to the game of football. If I want to watch constant action, I'll watch soccer. Football is a game of strategy and yards. TV timeouts suck, yes, but we're used to them. It gives you a chance to got to the john, chat with your friends, go to the kitchen, diddle around. Does anyone even watch ads on TV anymore? I just play with my phone if I've got nothing better to do.

I don't feel like watching any of those videos, but everyone in the thumbnail looks unhappy

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't feel like watching any of those videos, but everyone in the thumbnail looks unhappy

Yeah, they're watching real football which has ~~~RULES~~~ and that makes them mad

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

mostlygray posted:

There are rules to the game of football. If I want to watch constant action, I'll watch soccer. Football is a game of strategy and yards.

This is true but the rules about what constitutes a catch are ridiculously arcane and even the NFL has finally realized that they're a bunch of bullshit and is going to revisit them. Watching poo poo that everyone watching, including the refs, calls a catch get overturned because on a replay, whoops, there was some slight movement of the ball in the receiver's arms, is horrible and unfun and everyone knows it.

Ertz's catch was a catch. It was entirely and obviously a catch from the get go, it was one of the catchiest catches possible, there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that that was a catch and a TD. If that's not a catch up is down and black is white and words no longer mean things. But it was still in doubt because the rules are dumb. In the game the refs made the right call in the two reviews, but a situation where everyone comes to their feet because of the amazing thing that everyone just saw happen on the field and then has to sit back down because, oh, maybe it didn't actually happen and we've got to check the tape is not fun and is bad design.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2757697-nfls-catch-rule-must-be-addressed-as-super-bowl-caps-season-long-disaster

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Those XFL videos probably cost about $100 total to produce, and they generate some buzz at the expense of their infinitely larger and more successful competition - pointing out foibles of the NFL product that uniformly piss people off. The league won't be off the ground for a couple years yet, so people who don't care will have forgotten the silly ads by then. Low risk, high reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I have a friend on Facebook that has said he has heavy sensory overload problems (yes, he's on the spectrum) and would love doritos that don't crunch as loudly and make less mess on your hands.

Yet another angle that they are NOT pursuing that makes far more sense than the "for women" idea.