Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Weatherman posted:

To be fair, there are significant differences between pieces of equity in actual companies and internet pogs, and you of all people should know that.

Sure, but that doesn’t change the fact that most investment in both is speculation, which is why everyone loses their poo poo when $DJIA faceplants. Nothing that manifests the differences you mention changes with the stock price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They're both bought with the intent of selling them at a higher price in the future, nobody disagrees on that part.

But the difference between an investment and a speculative bet lies in "what value do they have if you never sell them".

Owning a fractional share of all the companies in the S&P 500 index has intrinsic value based on its underlying products, services, and cash flows.

A bitcoin you don't sell is worth $0 all day every day

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

crazysim posted:

"For charity" (Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue)

Totally missed it. :(

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

They're both bought with the intent of selling them at a higher price in the future, nobody disagrees on that part.

But the difference between an investment and a speculative bet lies in "what value do they have if you never sell them".

Owning a fractional share of all the companies in the S&P 500 index has intrinsic value based on its underlying products, services, and cash flows.

Also, assuming you’re not gambling on penny stocks, it’s fairly unlikely that the company whose stock you purchase’s actual end game is “steal all the money and leave the investors holding the bag”.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Just a reminder that living itself is BWM. We're such glitchy processors that cost an amazing amount of upkeep.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Moneyball posted:

Just a reminder that living itself is BWM. We're such glitchy processors that cost an amazing amount of upkeep.

Waiting to see how much it costs to transplant my consciousness into a T-1000.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I can only afford a roomba transfer

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Monkey Loves you!

Monkey needs a Hug :qq:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You may fondle the cube, and it will not reciprocate, but you can’t even touch a bitcoin!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Subjunctive posted:

Few people pick stocks on the basis of their dividends.

Picking stocks on the basis of their dividends is BWM.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Monkey Loves you!

Monkey needs a Hug :qq:

I was all excited because I thought you were making an "Overdrawn at the Memory Bank" reference to the transplanting consciousness thing, but nope, on googling my hopes were dashed. :(

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Phanatic posted:

Picking stocks on the basis of their dividends is BWM.

tell that to vhdyx, vdigx, vdaix, etc

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Weatherman posted:

To be fair, there are significant differences between pieces of equity in actual companies and internet pogs, and you of all people should know that.
To be fair, crypto has caused mass hilariousness and BWM stories as of late.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

tell that to vhdyx, vdigx, vdaix, etc

I can guarantee you that the stocks making up those index funds were not picked by Vanguard solely on the basis of the dividends they pay. Obviously the dividend is one aspect of what you look for when you're picking a dividend stock, but it's certainly not the only one (or even the most important), and there are plenty of solid reasons to pick stocks that don't pay dividends at all.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Phanatic posted:

I can guarantee you that the stocks making up those index funds were not picked by Vanguard solely on the basis of the dividends they pay. Obviously the dividend is one aspect of what you look for when you're picking a dividend stock, but it's certainly not the only one (or even the most important), and there are plenty of solid reasons to pick stocks that don't pay dividends at all.

The only two reasons to pick a stock that doesn't pay dividends currently is that 1) you think someone will be willing to pay more for it in the future than you are paying right now, less the rate of return you'd expect from a less risky investment and 2) you think that the stock might pay dividends in the future.

Those are the only two.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's fun to be a Market Timer!

(This is a buddy who went 100% cash in November 2016 in preparation for "The big crash")

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

(This is a buddy who went 100% cash in November 2016 in preparation for "The big crash")

Short his positions lol

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I similarly have a friend who took capital gains and went all cash/CDs with millions of dollars about a year ago, today he tells me this is The Big One and he plans to dollar cost average in if the dip is more than 20%. I didn't have the heart to point out to him that he sold at more than 20% under the market peak in the first place even ignoring dividends

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Moneyball posted:

Someone get on this

If someone sends me the file, I'll pay to make it a smilie.

How appropriate for the BWM thread.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Sic Semper Goon posted:

If someone sends me the file, I'll pay to make it a smilie.

How appropriate for the BWM thread.

I dunno, dollar to chuckle ratio seems pretty good.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Hoodwinker posted:

This but their eyes are bitcoins.
Same but the bitcoin eyes pop up and to the right once then down like a market crash

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Don't know how to link embedded reddit videos but this one is bitcoin in a nutshell and is somewhat prescient.

It's already out of date since bitcoin dipped to like 6k overnight lol.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Doccykins posted:

Same but the bitcoin eyes pop up and to the right once then down like a market crash
We need our best men on this!!!

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
hey i'm just an ideas guy

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

From YOSPOS:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The only two reasons to pick a stock that doesn't pay dividends currently is that 1) you think someone will be willing to pay more for it in the future than you are paying right now, less the rate of return you'd expect from a less risky investment and 2) you think that the stock might pay dividends in the future.

Those are the only two.

3 You are doing a hostile board takeover to steal all the cash.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Elephanthead posted:

3 You are doing a hostile board takeover to steal all the cash.

4 the company has something in the name about blockchain

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.
It's not a bubble mom!

MenschMaschine
Jun 10, 2009

Halb Wesen und halb Ding
:roboluv:
...aber oho!

Virigoth posted:

I can only afford a roomba transfer

Man, being a roomba would be pretty awesome. You'd get to trundle around the floor all day eating delicious dog hair.

Now I need to go reread Zima Blue. It's about a small pool-cleaning robot that gets upgraded more and more by its owners, and eventually goes on to become a famous artist.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Guest2553 posted:

Don't know how to link embedded reddit videos but this one is bitcoin in a nutshell and is somewhat prescient.

It's already out of date since bitcoin dipped to like 6k overnight lol.

this is fantastic

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
lol

Good Tuesday
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone can be racist, even me.

:heritage:
Don't argue with me about gun control or I'll call you out on your racial heritage!
This thread is great because I feel like I'm actually learning more from seeing What Not To Do instead of hearing "oh do this and you'll be fine"

It's perspective

Jan 11, 2004
That ETN triggered an emergency liquidation clause in after hours trading to prevent the NAV from going negative, lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

That ETN triggered an emergency liquidation clause in after hours trading to prevent the NAV from going negative, lol

What does this mean?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

What does this mean?

Ever see Trading Places?

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

What does this mean?

Everyone lost their money.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Cocoa Crispies posted:

What does this mean?

VIX is an index that tracks the implied volatility of the market (basically how much its expected to move). Its nicknamed the fear index because it tends to shoot up when people are afraid and are selling off.

XIV is an inverse instrument for VIX. Basically, it goes down when VIX goes up. It has a clause that basically says "in the case this moves a whole lot, we're going to SHUT. DOWN. EVERYTHING." because the way its structured means that if it moves too much then the risk is too high.

Yesterday the markets took a really big outlier dive. VIX has been really really low for a long time due to the market mostly moving up or sidways in a predictable fashion for years. The markets diving caused it to spike up really high. This means that XIV tanked a huge amount and hit its shutdown clause.

Its now being liquidated and we're all very sorry for XIV bagholder losses.

The lesson is to not trade exotic instruments that you don't fully understand.

ryde fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 6, 2018

Jan 11, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

What does this mean?

That is an inverse volatility exchange traded note, which is designed to track the inverse of the VIX volatility index by buying and selling VIX futures contracts. The note is written with a clause that allows the fund managers to stop trading and liquidate their assets if there is an 80% drop in the value of underlying assets in one day. The point therein is to prevent the fund from being required to continue carrying out the trades in the prospectus at a forced loss; the fund itself can fall into debt but the value of the shares just falls to zero, i.e. the fund is left holding the bag. VIX went nuts yesterday and therefore the ETN dropped like 85% and triggered the liquidation clause, basically got totally wiped out. For greater context the VIX short in its various forms has been a hugely profitable trade and this extreme outlier wipeout event is the reaper calling.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4143458-buy-xiv

quote:

$4.22. That’s the indicative value. Theoretically, that’s the that XIV still “holds.”

There’s no coming back from $4.22. No idea that if volatility drops, it might gain in value from there and be worth more than $18 in the short term. Imagine that the VIX suddenly dropped by 50%. Since the ETN is structured to mirror this daily move (lots more on that, but let’s assume it does), its indicative value would be up to just $6.33. Not the $16.39 it goes for now.

Now, perhaps the issuer will somehow liquidate and provide a higher value than that. But you can’t hang your hat on such possibilities. The reality is that the issuer is saying the underlying asset is only worth $4.22 at the market’s close. Even liquidating those assets would thus bring just $4.22 per share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I lost my entire savings ($10,000) trying to buy the dip from the stock market today.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7vkmmh/i_lost_my_entire_savings_10000_trying_to_buy_the/ posted:

I still haven't told my parents but my dad will probably find out through this reddit post if he visits my profile as he knows my username. Please don't tell Mom.

I used my credit card (zero balance as I always pay in full) to fund my trading account. I started with 4k. Then got margin called a few times till I ended up putting 10k in total. When I realized what was going on, it was already too late. My broker closed my position and I ended up losing all of it.

I was trading CFDs which is basically super heavily leveraged buying/selling of stocks or indexes. It's stupid, but I've made money in the past catching these dips, except today it's not just a dip. The market is continually crashing. And it all happened so fast today.

I transfered all my savings account to my mastercard already as a result, and that only covers 4.6k of it. I have a $1.5k in TFSA and another $3k+ in my other investment account. I'm planning to use all that to pay off my credit card, and it doesn't seem to be enough to pay for all of it.

I hosed up. I'm depressed. I just got a car and started to pay for $200+ a month car insurance (I live in BC). I'll have to pay for my CPA before end of March (3-4k a year) and I don't have extra money for that anymore. I net $3k a month and I don't know how I'll get by. I pay $1k for the mortgage, $1k for personal expenses, and I try to save $1k a month for big expenses (like CPA, car purchase, travel).

I don't know what to do. I'm back to zero. I can gamble and enter the market with my leveraged CFDs and wait for it to bounce back up, but that's stupid.

I'm 24M, live with my parents but I co-own the house with my dad.