Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

Well they spent the entire film series and games doing it this one way and then for whatever reason they don't. Pretty sure the game designers didn't even need a memo they just knew because they are dirty dirty fans.
Did they actually or is it just bizarre fan speculation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Milky Moor posted:

Also, what's with every single female character of note since Disney coming into the picture being a brunette? Rey, Jyn, Emilia Clarke. It's a bit weird.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any female character from any of the preceding movies who wasn't a brunette, actually.

I think Beru might have been blonde in AOTC and ROTS?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I’m gonna call it now: whoever is Lando steals the show and is going to be way more interesting than Han.

On the other hand, would that it were so simple

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Wheat Loaf posted:

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any female character from any of the preceding movies who wasn't a brunette, actually.

I think you're right, at that.

:psyduck:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Milky Moor posted:

I think you're right, at that.

:psyduck:

There's bound to have been non-brunette background characters in crowd scenes (the patrons at the nightclub and the Jedi in the arena in AOTC, for instance) but I cannot for the life of me think of a female character with a speaking role who isn't a brunette. I think Mon Mothma might have been a redhead?

It's like how Leia doesn't really interact one-to-one with any other female character (excepting a background shot of her conferring with an extra in the Echo Base scenes in ESB) until she talks to Rey at the end of TFA.

I guess Star Wars doesn't really have many female characters in lead roles. Of course, I believe George Lucas used to say he considered his target audience to be 12-year old boys. :shrug:

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Dr.Radical posted:

I’m gonna call it now: whoever is Lando steals the show and is going to be way more interesting than Han.

Isn't it Donald Glover?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Angry Salami posted:

A friend of a friend dragged me along to see Matrix: Reloaded on opening night. It was literally the worst night of my life.

You saw a movie nearly 15 years ago and that's still the worst night if your life? We're you diagnosed with cancer-aids that night too?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I really like TLJ, warts and all. So far the Disney SW canon has been pretty good for me. Look forward to the new trailer.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Warts are gross.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

UmOk posted:

You saw a movie nearly 15 years ago and that's still the worst night if your life? We're you diagnosed with cancer-aids that night too?

They show Matrix:Reloaded in the cancer ward regularly in order to remind people things could be worse.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Beru was blonde and Mon Mothma was a redhead, yes. But Leia was essentially the only woman for most of the OT, and in the prequels the casting for Luke and Leia's mother (and her body doubles) was a bit limited by biological necessity. Queen Jamilla's actress is Indian, I believe, and has black hair.

Lucasfilm under Kathleen Kennedy has had three different female leads unrelated to previous characters, and each time they’ve been white women with brown hair.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Blonde women work for the Empire.

The good guy women aren't blonde because they aren't space nazis.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
New trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNW0B0HsvVs

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Every time I start watching the trailer and those sounds don't turn out to be Teenage Han Solo playing a massive power chord I'm sad

edit: why is like half of the super bowl clip not in the full trailer lol

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Pages ago, but nope. Yoda is on record for hating her. She was a Padawan at a temple that got attacked, and she was locked away in a dungeon for over 100 years. They forgot about her, so she survived but turning the force into literal sustenance. She was eventually known as "the one below." When she was finally free, the Jedi council was like, obviously she's a master now, all except Yoda who wouldn't accept her. He eventually relented, but his actions are not forgotten. Never forget the one below, best real Jedi.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
is that for real?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

bushisms.txt posted:

Pages ago, but nope. Yoda is on record for hating her. She was a Padawan at a temple that got attacked, and she was locked away in a dungeon for over 100 years. They forgot about her, so she survived but turning the force into literal sustenance. She was eventually known as "the one below." When she was finally free, the Jedi council was like, obviously she's a master now, all except Yoda who wouldn't accept her. He eventually relented, but his actions are not forgotten. Never forget the one below, best real Jedi.

Jivjov, can you verify? Big if true

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Ingmar terdman posted:

edit: why is like half of the super bowl clip not in the full trailer lol

I bet none of these shots are even in the movie lol

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I bet none of these shots are even in the movie lol

I bet there's no movie

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Looks frickin' great to me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

UmOk posted:

Jivjov, can you verify? Big if true

It's from an issue of the Star Wars Tales comic from about 2001 or so, so it's officially "non-canon" now.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I can’t believe Han Solo fights Cthulhu at the end of that trailer.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiqPmsBYieA

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

BonoMan posted:

Looks frickin' great to me.

The solo character has zero charisma. Replace him with Lando and make it like Big Trouble in Little China where the main character is actually the goofy sidekick he just doesn’t know it.

The visuals look great, as usual. STAR WARS needs to cut out all the bad plot and just hire David Attenborough and make nature specials about a beautiful dumb galaxy long ago and far away.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Schwarzwald posted:

is that for real?

Mostly yeah lol I heard about it in the blank check podcast, best star wars podcast. Yoda is a loser.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Dr.Radical posted:

That's Childish Gambino

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

The tram scene, and I thought the dance club scene looked good until I realized it was a human in a smart metal suit and not a crooning jazz droid. The shot of Audrey Hepburn in Blade Runner also looks okay but only in the same way as if there was no Dr. Pepper available then Dr. Blemmer would be better than nothing

BarronsArtGallery posted:

Looks like anus.

Seriously, I am fundamentally opposed to the idea of this movie existing. It will only cheapen the character. But this is the world we live in, unfortunately.

It's not bad because it'll cheapen the character, it's bad because it's a boring nostalgia cashin

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Ingmar terdman posted:

I bet there's no movie

There's no way we'll be this lucky.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Gonz posted:

I can’t believe Han Solo fights Cthulhu at the end of that trailer.

There's always a bigger fish elder god.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The movie's valuable though. Rogue One coquettishly dropped hints that you no longer have to watch every Star Wars, but Solo looks you straight in the eye and tells you in no uncertain terms. Sure, you'll still watch Episode IX because of sunk cost fallacy and to see how everything is retardedly resolved, but after that? You're free. There's a whole world of not watching Star Wars waiting for you.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm gonna be a pilot... best in the galaxy

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Yeah, it's a good reminder that franchise loyalty is overrated, and if Disney can mostly keep the MCU-style continuity bait out of the mainline trilogy it's not really a big deal. I do feel like asking so many questions of varying degrees of meaning kind of sucked in TFA (everything from the question of Rey's parentage to the completely meaningless detail of C-3P0 having a new arm), but it's not like they really subtracted from the movie being a fun action adventure with good cinematography, lovable characters, and a sweet lightsaber battle.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It's not bad because it'll cheapen the character, it's bad because it's a boring nostalgia cashin

they're not mutually exclusive actually

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Kevin Palpatine posted:

they're not mutually exclusive actually

Yeah but the character has been cheapened since you could buy cereal with his malformed head in it

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Some would argue he's been cheapened since he was in the second half of ROTJ without anything to do just because he was a fan-favorite

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Fight another death star? You gotta be kidding me. Uh, I volunteer to go camping.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's a lady with pink hair that people bitched about in the last movie

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Oh to be a fly on the wall in JJs writers room for EP9. Or maybe the bluray special features will have something entertaining about the production.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Stat Wars reminds me of Dune when Frank Herbert died and his son got his claws in the series. Suddenly every single event, previously left to the imagination and much better for it, had to be excruciatingly laid out in its own book.

The Butlerian Jihad. Paul's own jihad. The background of every Great House, every major character, laid out in its own book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's from an issue of the Star Wars Tales comic from about 2001 or so, so it's officially "non-canon" now.

Only a few of the stories from the end of Star Wars Tales' run were considered canon to begin with. The whole point of the line was that the writers could do whatever and ignore canon, so naturally when sales started to decline, they decided to start including canon stories.

• Locked thread