Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Warthur posted:

And more particularly, what about saying that they are a garbage designer?

Being in the position of being able to say that each and every product a person has written is garbage but not being able to arrive at the logical conclusion is cobblers.

And not using your outside voice to say every conclusion you come to is manners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Under all circumstances? Say the designer in question's running a Kickstarter and you've had enough experience of their products and behaviour to come to the conclusion that they are not trustworthy. Are you really doing anyone a favour by soft-pedalling your objections by avoiding the phrase "Designer X is untrustworthy"?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I think rpg.net's heart is in the right place with regards to its policies on personal attacks, but you can really see the limits of their approach in that giant list of rule explanations/modifications posted a few months ago that had to laboriously explain over the course of twelve paragraphs that it was okay to state that someone had done something bad if they actually, factually did it. Frankly I would be happier with more loosely-stated rules that were enforced by moderators with greater room for discretion, so that months of grinding passive aggression didn't seem like a Sirlin-approved dominant strategy for those truly posting to win (but also so that I could tell someone they were being disingenuous without immediately hearing the staccato sound of a dozen panic buttons being jammed under bystanders' desks)

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Warthur posted:

Under all circumstances? Say the designer in question's running a Kickstarter and you've had enough experience of their products and behaviour to come to the conclusion that they are not trustworthy. Are you really doing anyone a favour by soft-pedalling your objections by avoiding the phrase "Designer X is untrustworthy"?

It's certainly possible: "Alice Anderson previously wrote Swordfinder 2, Dungeon Goblins, and Magick & Mayhem, all of which were garbage games (here are some links explaining why). Based on this track record, I would advise against backing Alice's new kickstarter for Swordfinder 4.13."

I feel like it gets a little bit weasely to have to put down every little bit of it without being able to actually state the obvious conclusion. But on the other hand, assuming you have time to break down the argument, it does help make your point stronger.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It seems like the difference between "Alice Anderson is a bad designer" and "Alice Anderson only designs bad games" is trivial and doesn't warrant the disproportionate emphasis they put on preventing people from "badmouthing" a niche celebrity.

Who may be on the board, which is probably a big deal in niche hobby like this.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

This kind of thing is why I don't take TG's pretense of being interested in social justice issues very seriously.

I used to think you were just kind of snitty but usually polite, but now I know you're a piece of poo poo.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm not even all rah-rah about social justice issues, either

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Am I a bad person for finding that I suddenly want Swordfinder 4.13?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr.Misfit posted:

Am I a bad person for finding that I suddenly want Swordfinder 4.13?

your sword's in your closet behind the lovely christmas present you got that one year.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

inklesspen posted:

It's certainly possible: "Alice Anderson previously wrote Swordfinder 2, Dungeon Goblins, and Magick & Mayhem, all of which were garbage games (here are some links explaining why). Based on this track record, I would advise against backing Alice's new kickstarter for Swordfinder 4.13."

I feel like it gets a little bit weasely to have to put down every little bit of it without being able to actually state the obvious conclusion. But on the other hand, assuming you have time to break down the argument, it does help make your point stronger.
The weaselness is exactly what I find objectionable. And whilst in terms of pure logic setting down your evidence is sensible, in terms of convincing rhetoric putting down your evidence and then clearly stating your conclusion is preferable.

And it avoids getting into the dance of "So, basically what you are saying is that Alice Anderson is a garbage designer?" "Oh, well you can reach that conclusion from my post but I would certainly never directly say as much..."

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Rand Brittain posted:

If you read the whole infraction, it pretty explicitly says that the main reason for the infraction is the personal attack that you didn't quote.

Yeah, that's exactly what makes the added "oh and also you hurt the poor people who mention FATAL" thing so stupid.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Warthur posted:

The weaselness is exactly what I find objectionable. And whilst in terms of pure logic setting down your evidence is sensible, in terms of convincing rhetoric putting down your evidence and then clearly stating your conclusion is preferable.

And it avoids getting into the dance of "So, basically what you are saying is that Alice Anderson is a garbage designer?" "Oh, well you can reach that conclusion from my post but I would certainly never directly say as much..."

This exactly. Saying somebody is a bad designer is being dumb is not a personal attack - it may be impolite, but it's not the same thing as calling them 'loving mouthbreathing imbeciles' or something of that ilk. The key shouldn't lie with being unable to express certain views, it should lie with not entering a two-minutes hate period when you start throwing shade at someone or something. 'White Wolf is a bad company' is one thing, 'White Wolf is a gang of rapists and bastards and I hope they all die in a fire' is a different one entirely.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Sooooo Kingdom Death, how's that going? Still creepy and filled with dicks?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Still creepy and filled with dicks?

But enough about Mandy Morbid

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Sooooo Kingdom Death, how's that going? Still creepy and filled with dicks?

zak s and matt mcfarland are working on a beast expansion to kingdom death with extra anus huffing and gms is preparing a KD transmedia empire.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

All right enough now.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

thelazyblank posted:

zak s and matt mcfarland are working on a beast expansion to kingdom death with extra anus huffing and gms is preparing a KD transmedia empire.

Another finger on the monkey paw closes.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Simian_Prime posted:

But enough about Mandy Morbid

I'm glad she's doing so great after breaking up with Zak, and I sincerely wish her well.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 6, 2018

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm glad she's doing so great after breaking up with Zak, and I sincerely wish her well.

I did not realize that, but :same:

Hopefully she’s also dropped her ex’s toxic habits of harassing people (and isn’t herself being targeted for harassment).

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 6, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Is that a real thing that happened?

Also I thought Zak's girlfriend was horribly, terminally ill?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Rand Brittain posted:

Is that a real thing that happened?

Also I thought Zak's girlfriend was horribly, terminally ill?

If you care to know, Mandy has Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. It's not a terminal illness (unless it's affecting her blood vessels) but it's still something that impacts her day-to-day life. This is publicly available knowledge.

His Wikipedia entry also describes his relationship to Mandy in the past tense.

Source: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9bnmy7/zak-loves-mandy-0003000-v19n10

Nuns with Guns posted:

:same:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Seems this Zak guy is really nice for staying with his girlfriend during her tribulations.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

LOW BLOOD PRESSURE

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

So how about that Green Ronin timeline, huh?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Darwinism posted:

"To fully understand what occurred, we have to start at the beginning. Approximately 13 billion years ago..."

"...and that's why you shouldn't hold us responsible for all the things we did."

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Darwinism posted:

Is this an "it was released and it's really something" or a "hey what about that thing that doesn't exist yet?"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

dwarf74 posted:

Is this an "it was released and it's really something" or a "hey what about that thing that doesn't exist yet?"
What does your heart tell you, dwarf74?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

FMguru posted:

What does your heart tell you, dwarf74?

That the timeline was a placation and a weapon for their fans to use against their detractors and it only holds that power so long as they never release it?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Kurieg posted:

That the timeline was a placation and a weapon for their fans to use against their detractors and it only holds that power so long as they never release it?
I'm gonna make a timeline of the timeline release.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

dwarf74 posted:

But enough about Far West.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
What happened with GR now?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sion posted:

What happened with GR now?
One of their main writers was revealed to be a creeplord with a loooooong history, and GR seems to have kept him around (including putting him in charge of their touted program to mentor up-and-coming female writers) despite being made aware of this history a long time ago. When GR was called to account for this, they launched personal attacks on their accusers, said they were the victims of an organized smear campaign, and promised that they'd release a timeline "soon" that would clear up everything and show they made the appropriate decisions at every juncture. It's been three months and counting since then - that must be some timeline they're putting together!

FMguru fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 7, 2018

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

FMguru posted:

One of their main writers was revealed to be a creeplord with a loooooong history, and GRR seems to have kept him around (including putting him in charge of their touted program to mentor up-and-coming female writers) despite being made aware of this history a long time ago. When GR was called to account for this, they launched personal attacks on their accusers, said they were the victims of an organized smear campaign, and promised that they'd release a timeline "soon" that would clear up everything and show they made the appropriate decisions at every juncture. It's been three months and counting since then - that must be some timeline they're putting together!
C.A. Suleiman being the creep in question. There'd been a prior, less serious incident that had happened longer ago; that was already controversial but GRR claimed they'd investigated it, found no new allegations and that Suleiman had realized it was unacceptable, apologized, etc. There was also an anti-Semitism allegation that still doesn't really hold up.

GRR initially used those two situations as cover, pretending that they'd mistaken new allegations for references to the prior ones. But it became clear this was a smoke-screen as more information came out, and that GRR as a company and the specific individuals involved had been informed of separate, new allegations several months prior to things coming to a head. They were also caught out in lying about Suleiman's role with the mentorship program (that part still isn't entirely clear, but either he was in charge and they straight up lied about it, or he was in charge but they created an administrative fiction that he wasn't).

They did finally fire Suleiman after the Horror Writers Association booted him and banned him from their convention for the same behavior. Everything became public, at which point Suleiman gave an intensely slimy non-apology and GRR went radio silent after having shot their feet clean off on social media in the preceding few days. That's when they promised the oft-lamented timeline.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This all happened in November, btw.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Wowiezowie.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

His "apology" is my absolute favorite stupid thing, as it is mostly about how sorry he is for being so loving sexy.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Look, it's hard to go through life when your gaze is just that intense.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

His "apology" is my absolute favorite stupid thing, as it is mostly about how sorry he is for being so loving sexy.

Don't forget that he's currently the only support network for his 3 sisters and mother. And they're Women, Therefore if you shun him you hurt those Women. So don't hurt the Women.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

unseenlibrarian posted:

Look, it's hard to go through life when your gaze is just that intense.

Indeed. It was like he was granted a Zeus-like potency that mandated him to creep up on anything with a pulse and the real crime would have been resisting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FMguru posted:

that must be some timeline they're putting together!

The timeline itself is in real time

• Locked thread