Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Leraika posted:

r20 is definitely the best choice, but there are options depending on what you want/don't want:

-MapTools is a lot like r20 but you connect over a network instead of over the internet/r20's site, which is good if the site's being fucky for some reason. Downsides: can be a nightmare to set up depending on everyone's firewall situation (last maptools game I was in was eventually abandoned after there was a stretch of weeks in a row when maptools didn't want to cooperate with someone's network/router/hamachi/firewall), less friendly interface.

-irc is extremely light and simple, supports logging, and it's very easy to set up a dicebot. Downsides: theater of the mind only, friendo, might be tricky to set up for the first time.

-discord is IRC but more people use it and it doesn't log as well. DEALER'S CHOICE

-google docs lets you set up a map, I guess, but why would you play a tabletop game over google docs?

I mean you can always combine docs mapping with irc/discord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is Fantasy Grounds still a thing people use? Every time I've tried it's been a nightmare to actually get the networking to work correctly (needing to use Hamachi or a VPN or whatever to get things to work, and even then it just kept failing).

Otherwise apparently there are people who use Tabletop Simulator for RPG's, but as much as I like that thing, I feel like it would be kinda clunky for that.

I personally run my stuff in Roll20 + Discord. Roll20 for character sheets, handouts, and rolling (and if you play in a system that requires maps etc. for battles), and Discord for voice, tabletalk that happens during the game, and idle chitchat amongst the group during non-gaming times. I think that combo works pretty well, but your level of engagement with Roll20 is pretty highly dependent on the type of game you're running... I imagine Pathfinder would rely heavily on it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Drone posted:

Is Fantasy Grounds still a thing people use? Every time I've tried it's been a nightmare to actually get the networking to work correctly (needing to use Hamachi or a VPN or whatever to get things to work, and even then it just kept failing).

Otherwise apparently there are people who use Tabletop Simulator for RPG's, but as much as I like that thing, I feel like it would be kinda clunky for that.

I personally run my stuff in Roll20 + Discord. Roll20 for character sheets, handouts, and rolling (and if you play in a system that requires maps etc. for battles), and Discord for voice, tabletalk that happens during the game, and idle chitchat amongst the group during non-gaming times. I think that combo works pretty well, but your level of engagement with Roll20 is pretty highly dependent on the type of game you're running... I imagine Pathfinder would rely heavily on it.

oh right, I forgot TTS. It focuses more on the physical aspects of the game (rolling dice etc) and I find it pretty laggy, but if you want the actual feeling of sitting around a table rolling dice that's your pick right there. Other con: Not free.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Thanks for all the advice! I think I'll use Roll20+Discord as was suggested since that seems to be the easiest and most convenient option.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Probottt posted:

Thanks for all the advice! I think I'll use Roll20+Discord as was suggested since that seems to be the easiest and most convenient option.

If you need voice, use the desktop or mobile version of discord. Voice over browser in both roll 20 and discord sucks.

Macros are helpful with rolling dice pools + mods quickly.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
I just started running my (previously physical) game over roll20, and I've found it pretty straightforward

so far I haven't bothered with macros at all and just resolved stuff as we would if we were playing offline, so don't think you have to learn how all of that works before you get started (although I'm sure it will come in handy when I do get around to using it)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gonna crosspost this because it owns.

Lurdiak posted:

I looked for like 10 seconds and I didn't see this posted anywhere in TG:

Faerie Fire, a 5e supplemental is on kickstarter right now.

"Faerie Fire is inspired by the neon noir aesthetic of the late 80s, with a touch of Trapper Keeper, and a spot of 90s Lisa Frank thrown in for good measure--we're calling it fairypunk. Adventurers making their way to the fairy wilds will meet creatures strange and new: some beautiful, some curious--but all of them dangerous in their own way. We also introduce the Plane of Living Light, a mysterious realm that can be skillfully manipulated by warlocks imbued with the Living Light. With magic reminiscent of neon lights and holograms, and a fey court full of glamour, the fairy wilds are filled with creatures dazzling and deadly in equal measure."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Welp lord have mercy I guess I'm getting into 5e

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
So it’s basically that goblin is another word for fairy and their king is David Bowie?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I have issues with lots of stuff that's fey-centric but if this increases the chances of my being able to set up Jem and the Holograms in 5e I am all loving for it.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Lurdiak posted:

It owns but 5e sure as hell doesn't. That's the saddest part - it's a rad idea, but because DEE AND DEE is what 'everyone' knows they decided to pack it in a poo poo sandwich.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

People who are into Vaporwave in 2018 and 5E players honestly sounds like a perfect venn diagram

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Writing my first nation in years, I forgot how hard it is to get something in your head on paper without it sounding dumb as hell :v:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

LuiCypher posted:

It owns but 5e sure as hell doesn't. That's the saddest part - it's a rad idea, but because DEE AND DEE is what 'everyone' knows they decided to pack it in a poo poo sandwich.

Completely agreed, but at worst it can be adapted to other systems that aren't poo poo.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Thanks for the 3 player suggestions. :)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

quote:

neon noir aesthetic of the late 80s
The art looks cute and all, but I'm almost certain that this isn't a thing

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

potatocubed posted:

I'd say Scribus is great because it's free, but if you have the cash InDesign is straight-up better.

Unfortunately, I've spent 4 years and several thousand dollars learning on Adobe products, so I'm chained to the Cloud.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Completely agreed, but at worst it can be adapted to other systems that aren't poo poo.

Alternately you could just look up a bunch of Lisa Frank art at work, play a good game, and not pay for a Next supplement guaranteed to be bad.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I like fae, but I can't back it because a lot of the art is an extremely ugly take on this "aesthetic". This art style needs a ton of attention to colour theory to work. That dog-thing is especially awful.

There are some good pieces, when the colours are actually given proper attention.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

thefakenews posted:

I like fae, but I can't back it because a lot of the art is an extremely ugly take on this "aesthetic". This art style needs a ton of attention to colour theory to work. That dog-thing is especially awful.

There are some good pieces, when the colours are actually given proper attention.

The dog thing is because it's based on Lisa Frank art which uses those colors pretty much exclusively.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

senrath posted:

The dog thing is because it's based on Lisa Frank art which uses those colors pretty much exclusively.

Lisa Frank art is extremely bad :shrug:

Edit: also, despite being ugly, most Lisa Frank art doesn't have the colour theory problems that dog art has. The Lisa Frank artists understand the effect of coloured light sources on saturation and how to vary chroma.

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 6, 2018

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I mean yeah it sucks it's for 5e but that shouldn't be hard to transfer over to other games. I really feel weird and uncomfortable giving the makers poo poo just because they made a thing for 5e. Good ideas are good ideas and "what if the feywild was just the strange lovechild of that movie with David Bowie's leather-bound crotch and Lisa Frank?" is a good idea imo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ProfessorCirno posted:

I mean yeah it sucks it's for 5e but that shouldn't be hard to transfer over to other games. I really feel weird and uncomfortable giving the makers poo poo just because they made a thing for 5e. Good ideas are good ideas and "what if the feywild was just the strange lovechild of that movie with David Bowie's leather-bound crotch and Lisa Frank?" is a good idea imo.

I'm not really giving the designers poo poo, it just seems real weird to me in 2018 to pay for a supplement for a bad game that you know you'll have to convert/rewrite to get anything useful out of it because it's got some neat art I guess.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kai Tave posted:

I'm not really giving the designers poo poo, it just seems real weird to me in 2018 to pay for a supplement for a bad game that you know you'll have to convert/rewrite to get anything useful out of it because it's got some neat art I guess.

It's a cute idea with a diverse group of artists and writers, a lot of which are prominent webcomic (oxymoron, I know) creators. I don't have a reason to buy it because I don't want to touch 5e, but if someone else does I can see why. A lot of people will probably be backing it just for artbook purposes, I imagine.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
that sounds more like fairyfinder or 13th fairy than fairypunk

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Goa Tse-tung posted:

that sounds more like fairyfinder or 13th fairy than fairypunk

They already did fairyfinder and it was terrible.

Also, anyone else suddenly think that Jareth’s final speech sounds like he’s a ranting GM whose campaign just got broken?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Lurdiak posted:

The plane of living light, now ruled with an iron hand by the nefarious Thomas Kincade.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's a cute idea with a diverse group of artists and writers, a lot of which are prominent webcomic (oxymoron, I know) creators. I don't have a reason to buy it because I don't want to touch 5e, but if someone else does I can see why. A lot of people will probably be backing it just for artbook purposes, I imagine.

It's not like it's just going to be statblocks and pretty pictures, the monster concepts and lore is as much part of it as the art.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

ProfessorCirno posted:

My point of contention with the whole '5e' thing is that I believe that rule systems are evocative of your game's theme - 5e is explicitly 'D&D 3.5 refined', and D&D 3.5 is a fantasy themed tactical murderhobo game of nerd wizard supremacy. That might not be what they wanted to go for.

The theme is awesome, but I feel like they're making it a 5e supplement either because it's what the author knows or what they believe will sell. Either way, I feel that it's a missed opportunity to adapt a better system that would be more evocative of the theme. I'm not saying it should be a PbtA hack (I say as I brainstorm a hack for Night Witches, itself a PbtA hack), but there has to be a better option.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 7, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm not going to begrudge someone doing what they think will sell best especially being a small publisher in a market where making any money at all is hard

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Blockhouse posted:

I'm not going to begrudge someone doing what they think will sell best especially being a small publisher in a market where making any money at all is hard

I don't think anyone is begrudging them anything - just saying that it being a 5e book is pretty much a dealbreaker, whether because 5e is just crap, because 5e is a bad fit for these ideas, or both. Which seems like an entirely fair opinion.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Blockhouse posted:

Didn't 3.5e murder the supplement market anyways? The only supplements I ever see nowadays are first-party supplements, although I understand that definition is very loose considering the consultant-driven nature of writing RPG books that just happen to be published by the first-party.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Halloween Jack posted:

When I hear "80's neon noir" I'd jump to either Miami Vice or something cyberpunk. It's still a weird descriptor for "a feywild book with a retro 80s aesthetic".

Lurdiak posted:

It's not like it's just going to be statblocks and pretty pictures, the monster concepts and lore is as much part of it as the art.

Fair point, but I didn't see any fluff text in the preview material, even on the tumblr where they're posting monster stats, so I don't think I have enough to go on whether it'll be interesting or awkward.

LuiCypher posted:

Didn't 3.5e murder the supplement market anyways? The only supplements I ever see nowadays are first-party supplements, although I understand that definition is very loose considering the consultant-driven nature of writing RPG books that just happen to be published by the first-party.

5e did make their own fan-supplement digital storefront that a few other companies seemed to think was successful enough to copy.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Also, the thing with gaming high concepts is that if you don't like the treatment of that high concept, there's very little keeping you from just taking that high concept and making it your own.

Well, other than time and effort, anyway.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

LuiCypher posted:

Pathfinder's got a robust 3pp scene into the present day, but Pathfinder is basically 3.5 anyway.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

LuiCypher posted:

My point of contention with the whole '5e' thing is that I believe that rule systems are evocative of your game's theme - 5e is explicitly 'D&D 3.5 refined', and D&D 3.5 is a fantasy themed tactical murderhobo game of nerd wizard supremacy. That might not be what they wanted to go for.

The theme is awesome, but I feel like they're making it a 5e supplement either because it's what the author knows or what they believe will sell. Either way, I feel that it's a missed opportunity to adapt a better system that would be more evocative of the theme. I'm not saying it should be a PbtA hack (I say as I brainstorm a hack for Night Witches, itself a PbtA hack), but there has to be a better option.

i mean i think the idea is to go murderhobo in a pastel colored lisafrank hellworld

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Leraika posted:

Pathfinder's got a robust 3pp scene into the present day, but Pathfinder is basically 3.5 anyway.

I wouldn't call it 'robust' when the writers consider $0.01 per word an acceptable rate.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Also the 3PP market at least appears pretty vibrant still, it's just not really in brick and mortar anymore because places like DriveThruRPG are a much better venue for selling that kind of stuff

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Recently I proposed the following theory for RPG design:
There are two valid approaches to flavor’s relationship with mechanics.
“Flavor should be variable independent of mechanics”, which is primarily valuable for a generically usable system.
And “Flavor should drive mechanics”, which is primarily useful for strongly themed games.

Do you think this theory makes sense? If not, how would you revise or modify it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Mechanics are the primary essence of games as a medium and flavor should follow mechanics, mainly in order to evoke things the player is familiar with so that the mechanics are easier to learn and remember (and to create a feedback loop that reinforces the flavor, because the mechanics model the flavor.)

Mechanics occasionally evolving around a really cool flavor concept is fine but a game with great flavor and bad mechanics is either an ambitious failure or just shouldn't have been a game.

e: Or put another way, flavor should be an inspiration for mechanics, which still have to stand on their own quality-wise. Flavor determining mechanics is how you get terrible simulationist bullshit.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 8, 2018