Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Interstellar Factors in the contact menu lets you pay bounties and redeem vouchers from other systems

Interstellar Factors can be found in any low security systems afaik, you can sort by Security rating on the galaxy map to find the one closest to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

CapnBry posted:

I heard that in Beyond: Chapter One they're going to add your current inventory count of space junk when you target a piece of it, is that true?

Yes.

Beyond beta has a ton of really nice quality of life features.

Grind isn't going to get any better however.

Beta also has the ability to just search the Galmap for Interstellar Factors agents.

But that 200 credit fine you get for accidentally hitting a friendly means you're locked out of the station. :smith:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Biggest drag with the new Crime and Punishment stuff so far is that you get locked out of engineering if you get so much as a 100cr fine at an engineer's base.

In stations, you can just go to Contacts -> Security or whatever to pay the fine. Engineering bases don't have the contacts menu, so you have to fly lightyears away and pay 100x as much to some Interstellar Factors guy to sort it out for you.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Biggest drag with the new Crime and Punishment stuff so far is that you get locked out of engineering if you get so much as a 100cr fine at an engineer's base.

In stations, you can just go to Contacts -> Security or whatever to pay the fine. Engineering bases don't have the contacts menu, so you have to fly lightyears away and pay 100x as much to some Interstellar Factors guy to sort it out for you.

Currently, you can pay in any other station in the same system. I would imagine a similar situation in the beta, but I have not tried it yet.

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching
I've been making some good money in my Cobra MK3 running bounties and the "Mad Dog" engineer or whatever the gently caress has just revealed himself to me. How soon should I head over, considering it's 2/3rds of the way across the bubble? am I just inviting myself to more grinding?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Engineering is just a time sink for people who want to push their ships further. https://inara.cz/galaxy-engineers/ is a good list of what each has for offer. Really the only one that you should always try to have is Increased FSD Range.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

osirisisdead posted:

Except playing Doom after entering a cheat code IDDQD is the same experience, you just don't take any damage. You're still either going to shoot the demon, pick up the keys, and push buttons and none of those experiences change significantly beyond beating the levels. As a regular player, it simply takes longer to beat the levels.

Funny you bring that up because if Frontier honored their Kickstarter promise and gave us a single player version then all my complaints would disappear because I could cheat and mod and IDDQD plus IDKFA and not bother anyone else.
Years ago (when cheat engine could manage it) I bought a whole separate account and took an Adder across the galaxy. Also took it to a single system way the hell above the disc and found a cluster of pulsars about the same distance 'below' the disc. Had a grand ole time just trying to find neat stuff that the creators of the galactic visuals peppered in. Never sold any data or anything and soon after Frontier closed off those hacks so the account retired. I suppose I should have parked it in the pulsars before the patch but alas, I didn't.
Space Engine is cool but it doesn't have the 'weight' of Elite and it would be cool to be able to experience it's universe through the windscreen of a well-designed, fun-to-fly ship ala Elite.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

theodop posted:

I've been making some good money in my Cobra MK3 running bounties and the "Mad Dog" engineer or whatever the gently caress has just revealed himself to me. How soon should I head over, considering it's 2/3rds of the way across the bubble? am I just inviting myself to more grinding?

It's a lot of applesauce. The process of unlocking engineers is a list of tasks, each more odious than the last.

But at least there's a finite end to unlocking engineers. If the alternative is to grind credits, you could spend 100s of hours doing that before you can afford the next big thing. Easy to forget why you're bothering.

KakerMix posted:

a single player version

yeah, i wanted Escape Velocity: VR. I would have been happy with some low-effort deathmatch mode as the multiplayer component to a legit single player game.

EDIT: Do any frontier-forum-readers know if they're gonna tone down the engineers unlock process? I haven't heard a peep about it. Just deleting Qwent altogether would be a substantial improvement.

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 6, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The best engineer is even locked behind the worst grind. Dirty Drive 5s really are worth it though.

In other news: I ran into a player flying an Asp Scout. I don't think I've ever seen someone actually using it before.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I wrote a whole shitload about engineers, the grind, and what to do: https://docs.google.com/document/d/14F5pbks7dpEOGaVlhE8b-i2hJg2ufj31wuaMq8Ro-iw/

It's somewhat out of date, but I've kept it mostly updated as I come across changes from when I did the grind and wrote about, to where we are now. After the patch is settled and the new systems are in place, I'll update it again.

im reposting this again because its a great time-saving resource for players who want to get started with engineering.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:munch:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Fake. Sandro clearly hasn't ever played this game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

theodop posted:

If you're at the point where you can comfortably afford to A-rate whatever ship you're flying and rebuy it when you crash it, engineering is basically the only way to improve your ship further, and the improvements you can get are huge. It's not fun to do, but it's definitely effective - an engineered shield will take about triple the hits of a non-engineered one, for example, and some builds (EG: Fer-De-Lance with nothing but plasma accelerators) are basically non-viable without engineering upgrades. Stuff like increased FSD range is a huge quality-of-life improvement, significantly reducing the amount of time you have to spent looking at Elite's pretty loading screens.

All that said, they're majorly changing the system in the next patch, so I'd probably wait for that to come out before I jumped into Engineering with both feet.

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching

Helianthus Annuus posted:

im reposting this again because its a great time-saving resource for players who want to get started with engineering.

This is really good

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I realized the Diamondback Explorer has crazy good jump range so I bought one. ~42LY max with grade 1 FSD engineering and a couple of lovely cabins on board. Beats the hell out of my 27LY max Dolphin which I had been using.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I started my engineering last night and by started I mean I spent and hour and a half jumping around to buy 3 space macguffins for that one lady and today I get to hoover up rocks.

why do i hate myself

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
The type 7 just got a massive buff in the beta and now gets a 60+ LY jump range. 40LY fully loaded.

Edit: engineered, of course.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Mike the TV posted:

The type 7 just got a massive buff in the beta and now gets a 60+ LY jump range. 40LY fully loaded.

It'd be neat if the type 7's gimmick was "trader with a massive jump range" to set it apart from the type 9 which hates jumping but carries all the cargo

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Mike the TV posted:

Whoa, sweet.

I'd kinda like to add one to my exploration menagerie, but it just runs so god damned hot :smith:. Maybe I should build one into a rescue ship or something...

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mike the TV posted:

Oh that's cool.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Trustworthy posted:

Whoa, sweet.

I'd kinda like to add one to my exploration menagerie, but it just runs so god damned hot :smith:. Maybe I should build one into a rescue ship or something...

You're in luck, they also increased the power plant, thrusters, and power distributor in addition to the FSD. No more heating issues.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
dangit. If this sticks, I'm going to "need" to go get my Type 7 out of retirement in Colonia... or maybe I'll sell it remotely at a loss.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I'm glad that they're giving a balance pass on existing ships to fill them out a bit. Off the top of my head they have:
- Increased the PD of the Type 10
- Add another size huge slot to the Type 9
- Buffed the Type 7

Hopefully this means other ships will get some love over the course of the year.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Very nice, we were just talking on discord some time back about how the Type-7 has a woefully inadequate FSD for its size.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

If only they'd do something about the 2s/2m curse, but I guess remodelling the ships isn't going to happen.

GruntyThrst posted:

I started my engineering last night and by started I mean I spent and hour and a half jumping around to buy 3 space macguffins for that one lady and today I get to hoover up rocks.

why do i hate myself

You're going to love Quent :cabot:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Lima posted:

If only they'd do something about the 2s/2m curse, but I guess remodelling the ships isn't going to happen.

Lol I would totally pay for CMDR Jameson's Cobra. It has 2 small and 1 medium centered hardpoint.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress QWENT

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

iospace posted:

gently caress QWENT

Modular Terminals are love, Modular Terminals are life.

Isn't it so immersive to act as a personal shopper for the one person in the entire Galaxy who can cock block your progression?

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
Just buy those modular terminals off East India Company like I did :cheers:

https://eicgaming.com/trading-post/

(but get hosed if you're on consoles because apparently they don't have a presence on PS4 and I don't know about Xbone because :laffo:)

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

coupedeville posted:

Just buy those modular terminals off East India Company like I did :cheers:

https://eicgaming.com/trading-post/

(but get hosed if you're on consoles because apparently they don't have a presence on PS4 and I don't know about Xbone because :laffo:)

This game needs an auction house for Materials/Commodities so bad.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

iospace posted:

gently caress QWENT

Take a deep breath and think about how, someday soon, you'll never have to think about that loving rear end in a top hat ever again

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Modular Terminals are easy to get right now with the stations that get attacked. Run passengers from the burning ones as they have no VIPs and tons of missions to flip through for whatever rare materials you need.

The problem is soon we'll run out of stations for the Thargoids to attack and they'll all be stuck in repair state so better to abuse it now while they're still available.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

The modular terminals were actually a lot easier than I thought I just grabbed passenger missions that offered them and I always had another mission that offered them at the station I was dumping passengers at. Had to board flip a bit but it was only an hour or two of grinding.

Edit: Would it be worth it to replace my Asp ex with a type 7 once the buffs go in?

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Sedisp posted:

Edit: Would it be worth it to replace my Asp ex with a type 7 once the buffs go in?

The have already announced to re-nerf it. T7 will be built lighter, but the FSD stays a Class 5. Also they will give it more internals i.e. more cargo space instead.

Einbauschrank fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 6, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Better call the Fuel Rats: he needs a bump: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBr2kKAHN6M

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Which mods would you guys recommend for lightweighting parts of your ship for exploration. I’m trying to get my python past 30-35ly ideally 40. I’ve downsized the shields and engines and PD.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Did you already get D rated sensors and life support?

Did you already buy an undersized A rated power plant? You want an A rated one for the heat dissipation, but the smallest one that will get you the MJ you need to run your ship.

If you're engineering, you can install an even smaller powerplant and put a g1 overcharged mod on it. There are also lightweight mods for sensors and life support.

https://inara.cz/galaxy-blueprint/13/
https://inara.cz/galaxy-blueprint/133/
https://inara.cz/galaxy-blueprint/161/

In the upcoming update, you will be able to install the "stripped-down" experimental effect to lots of different modules for an extra 10% reduction in mass. This can be applied to power plants, shield generators, thrusters, etc.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Which mods would you guys recommend for lightweighting parts of your ship for exploration. I’m trying to get my python past 30-35ly ideally 40. I’ve downsized the shields and engines and PD.

Lightweight whatever you can, but you're never getting a python that high. A completely stripped-down empty python will barely hit 32 Ly. Actual explorer fit I doubt you could break 30. If you want 40 Ly get a DBX or Asp.

Natsuumi fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Do yourself a favour and switch to an AspX unless you're really dead set on a python for exploring. With that said, G1 OC PP can have a secondary effect of increased efficiency which is a godsend for lazy scooping and only costs a single sulphur per roll. Lightweight on everything you can get your hands on, increased range on your DSS. Enhanced Lower Power Shields if you plan on landing, undersized power distros. Should about cover everything?

E: An over-engineered AspX can just squeak in 50LY range with all the toys you need - AFMUs, Vehicle, Shields, ADS, DSS, Scoop.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 7, 2018

• Locked thread