Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rolo posted:

Walk Hard is an underrated comedy and miles better than anything that has Will Ferrell in it.

Walk Hard is probably my favorite comedy film of the 21st Century. Think about it -- TV comedies have been on fire since the turn of the century. Arrested Development, 30 Rock, Parks & Recreation, Childrens Hospital, Kimmy Schmidt, Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, you name it.

But how many truly great comedy films can you think of? Judd Apatow, Todd Phillips, and Adam McKay have been the kings of Hollywood comedy, along with all the actors they helped launch. But none of their films, or any others, come close to being as funny or as GOOD as Walk Hard. It works on every level: as a parody of Oscar bait musician biopics, a silly showcase for John C. Reilly, a musical comedy (with songs that are actually good and stand on their own), and it has a surprising amount of heart too. I'll defend it to anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Like a billion? Just a short list off the top of my head:
Airplane, Army of Darkness, Mr. Mom, Dragnet, Trading Places, Coming to America, Clerks, Naked Gun, Half Baked, Logan Lucky (this was relatively recent but was really good), Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, and many more that escape me at the moment.

E. Oh, you were talking about 21st century only. Hmmm, yea, that is a good point actually. Way too many Seth rogan & company movies. Like I said, Logan Lucky was good. As was The Foot Fist Way if you like the guy from Eastbound and Down. I'll think of some more.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 05:11 on Feb 6, 2018

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

1redflag posted:

Like a billion? Just a short list off the top of my head:
Airplane, Army of Darkness, Mr. Mom, Dragnet, Trading Places, Coming to America, Clerks, Naked Gun, Half Baked, Logan Lucky (this was relatively recent but was really good), Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, and many more that escape me at the moment.

E. Oh, you were talking about 21st century only. Hmmm, yea, that is a good point actually. Way too many Seth rogan & company movies. Like I said, Logan Lucky was good. As was The Foot Fist Way if you like the guy from Eastbound and Down. I'll think of some more.

They did say 21st

Looking through google's 20 or so big comedies in 2000 and 2010s I'm gonna say definitely Bad Santa. Some of Broken Lizard. The Three Flavours Cornetto. Maybe Zoolander, Borat and Napoleon Dynamite?

I know there are some indier things that are funnier than the above. Bad Santa probably has the best mix of funny + heart + just all around good movie though.

Also thought Talledega was really funny for the scenes with the family/kids.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Yeah, 21st Century only REALLY cuts down on the options. The 20th Century seemed to be full of classic comedies, but of course we had a lot more decades to choose from.

I really enjoyed Logan Lucky, but it wasn't a laff-riot. Step Brothers is stupid as hell, but ridiculously funny and quotable. Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping was great too.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Forgetting Sarah Marshall was really good. 21 Jump Street too.

E. And agreed that bad santa is probably the best.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

syscall girl posted:

Also thought Talledega was really funny for the scenes with the family/kids.
and the bobcat

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I Love You, Man is also good

e: and Role Models and Tropic Thunder

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I would definitely think you have to include What We Do In The Shadows to that list. I will also always rewatch Get Him to the Greek if its on.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Someone in the thread recommended Hellevator and I have to thank you for the recommendation.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Inzombiac posted:

Okay so I started The Last Man on Earth on Hulu.

It stars Will Forte as, well, the last man on Earth. The splash screen spoils the end of the first episode where we learn he is, in fact, not the last PERSON on Earth.

It's really funny but don't watch it if you can't handle embarrassment-by-proxy.

I can't recall the last time a show had a main character that was so pathetic, conniving and useless.

How does it stack up against Todd Margaret, if you've seen it? That show was just a bit too much cringe for me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rough Lobster posted:

How does it stack up against Todd Margaret, if you've seen it? That show was just a bit too much cringe for me.

How much of Todd Margaret did you make it through? I had a hard time making it through S1 at first, but powering through was worth it, that show sets up so much stuff and has it all come together brilliantly.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I didn't manage to make it past season one although my buddy did tell me that it goes completely off the rails later. I might give it another shot. The titular character makes me cringe so hard I'll get new lines on my face so I guess I'll moisturize first.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
“I should have spent more time with you instead of training my body and mind to kill you in a machete fight. I’m sorry, be a better father than I was.”

“Ok Pa, shouldn’t even be that hard.”

Comedy gold.

“Oh pa he didn’t mean it!”

He cut him in half with a machete!”

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rough Lobster posted:

I didn't manage to make it past season one although my buddy did tell me that it goes completely off the rails later. I might give it another shot. The titular character makes me cringe so hard I'll get new lines on my face so I guess I'll moisturize first.

After hearing of it I'm giving it a shot and yeah this is like a comedy time warp. This is what IFC does now?

Not that Portlandia doesn't make me cringe too, just for a different reason.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Bogmonster posted:

I would definitely think you have to include What We Do In The Shadows to that list.

You stole mine.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bogmonster posted:

I would definitely think you have to include What We Do In The Shadows to that list.

After watching it, spaghetti dinner will never be the same. Also it's probably the most quaotable movie I've seen in years.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Anyone know if the Battlestar Galactica on Amazon Prime are the full episodes? When Netflix had it way back when the episodes were the slightly edited for time rerun versions

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

wormil posted:

After watching it, spaghetti dinner will never be the same. Also it's probably the most quaotable movie I've seen in years.

Werewolves not swear-wolves

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Len posted:

Anyone know if the Battlestar Galactica on Amazon Prime are the full episodes? When Netflix had it way back when the episodes were the slightly edited for time rerun versions

The episodes (at least in the first season) are all 43 minutes long, which seems to be the original running time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Werewolves not swear-wolves

I just read that FX ordered a pilot for a series based on the movie.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/an-american-what-we-do-in-the-shadows-tv-show-has-a-pil-1822313096

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TV Zombie posted:

Someone in the thread recommended Hellevator and I have to thank you for the recommendation.

You're welcome :)

I am already on season 3 of The Last Man on Earth. As much as I enjoyed Todd Margaret, this is way better.
It's less slapstick and the characters are genuinely sympathetic, especially after season 1.

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost
Season 2 of The Expanse is on Amazon Prime now. I loved the first season so I've been waiting for it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Fatigued posted:

Season 2 of The Expanse is on Amazon Prime now. I loved the first season so I've been waiting for it.

S2 fixed the pacing problems and is even better.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Wife and I are around halfway through season 2 of Episodes. It's pretty great so far, nice to see Matt Leblanc have a good sense of humor about himself and the actors all have pretty good chemistry together.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hi guys I’m just here to say that, knowing nothing about it prior, Boogie Nights is a pretty hosed up movie, Jesus Christ.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Yea, it's pretty awesome because you think the story is going one way, but real life is crazier than fiction.

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005
Creep and Creep 2 on Netflix are both fairly enjoyable movies about an eccentric guy that puts out a Craigslist ad for people to film him for the day. They share a lot of story elements but the second takes things in a slightly different direction. Both are shot in a first person camera perspective.

They're sort of cringe suspense mixed with black comedy if that's a thing. Mark Duplass is the main character and he's pretty entertaining in them.

I joke that Safety Not Guaranteed is the twee romance prequel and part of the series since it's 80% the same premise and shares a few actors.

Snyderman has a new favorite as of 09:39 on Feb 22, 2018

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

1redflag posted:

Yea, it's pretty awesome because you think the story is going one way, but real life is crazier than fiction.

Exactly, it was almost like a dark comedy at first.

“This kid is down for anything and kind of an idiot, heh.”

“Haha this guy’s wife keeps cheating on him and he’s just kinda like ugh not again.”

Then it just keeps getting more real and out of control for 2 more hours.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I was watching bojack horseman again because I didn't feel like finding anything new for background noise. Man what a great show, even the episodes that aren't quite perfect are at least trying to do something interesting. The dumb animal jokes still get dumb laughs out of me and the poignant bits are so good.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Finally got around to watching He Never Died on Netflix; would've watched it way sooner had I realized that the lead was Henry-loving-Rollins.

Overall a decent horror movie, with more content about the emotions involved than the usual. My main complaint though is that the mystery of the protagonist is really cool, and I think they ended up explaining too much at the end when just leaving it vaguer would've been more dramatic.

It had a few small comedic bits that helped break it up; the best one being protagonist is a self-loathing immortal vampire-like creature, and getting sick from lack of blood goes out stalking the streets trying to find a victim, but one that won't plague his conscience worse. He walks past some sketchy dudes on the corner and deliberately drops a wad of money, only to have them call out to him and pass it back. He goes down an alley, runs across a gang of cholos and deliberately bumps into the biggest one as he passes by, but the guy turns and apologizes. Just fun watching him stymied trying to find someone assholeish enough to ethically murder.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

We've been watching Dark and are nearly done, and it's quite good. It's a German show with a similar vibe to Stranger Things, but with more mystery. Has some good twists and I like the way it's paced.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Altered Carbon is okay. I read the book a few years ago and it's been tracking the story almost 1:1 (except they changed the hotel from THE HENDRIX to THE RAVEN for what I'm assuming is licensing issues with the Hendrix estate).

E. Interesting. I'm only two episodes in, so I'll have to pay attention to the changes.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 02:15 on Feb 26, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

1redflag posted:

Altered Carbon is okay. I read the book a few years ago and it's been tracking the story almost 1:1 (except they changed the hotel from THE HENDRIX to THE RAVEN for what I'm assuming is licensing issues with the Hendrix estate).

Yeah, the estate doesn’t want Hendrix associated with violence.

There’s some pretty big shifts with the characters, especially at the end.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Now I’m watching Alive because this week’s theme is apparently “wow this is hosed up.”

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Retro Futurist posted:

We've been watching Dark and are nearly done, and it's quite good. It's a German show with a similar vibe to Stranger Things, but with more mystery. Has some good twists and I like the way it's paced.

I watched about 10 minutes and got the impression it was the kind of show with lots of detail and would require attention. I wasn't in the mood at the time and haven't gotten back to it. Was I wrong?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

wormil posted:

I watched about 10 minutes and got the impression it was the kind of show with lots of detail and would require attention. I wasn't in the mood at the time and haven't gotten back to it. Was I wrong?

Kind of. There's some flashback type stuff where it's confusing if you can't keep the characters straight, which I found difficult at first due to them all having very German names I wasn't used to, but they do a pretty good job of making it clear who's who and what's going on as the show progresses.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Finally got around to watching He Never Died on Netflix; would've watched it way sooner had I realized that the lead was Henry-loving-Rollins.

Overall a decent horror movie, with more content about the emotions involved than the usual. My main complaint though is that the mystery of the protagonist is really cool, and I think they ended up explaining too much at the end when just leaving it vaguer would've been more dramatic.

It had a few small comedic bits that helped break it up; the best one being protagonist is a self-loathing immortal vampire-like creature, and getting sick from lack of blood goes out stalking the streets trying to find a victim, but one that won't plague his conscience worse. He walks past some sketchy dudes on the corner and deliberately drops a wad of money, only to have them call out to him and pass it back. He goes down an alley, runs across a gang of cholos and deliberately bumps into the biggest one as he passes by, but the guy turns and apologizes. Just fun watching him stymied trying to find someone assholeish enough to ethically murder.

I watched that a while back and i swear this role was just made for Henry Rollins. He is perfect in it. Good movie.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How close is The Stanford Prison Experiment to what actually happened in the study? How much is Hollywood wanting it to be more interesting?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rolo posted:

How close is The Stanford Prison Experiment to what actually happened in the study? How much is Hollywood wanting it to be more interesting?

From what my undergrad courses taught me it was hosed as all hell but I haven't seen that movie.

Like it ended after days because college kids took it way too drat far and there was a prison riot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Len posted:

From what my undergrad courses taught me it was hosed as all hell but I haven't seen that movie.

Like it ended after days because college kids took it way too drat far and there was a prison riot.

If it’s even close it has me interested enough to try to find a book or journal on it, this movie is brutal.

E: Ooh, the original creator of the experiment wrote a book. Netflix is gonna make me buy a thing.

Rolo has a new favorite as of 22:05 on Feb 28, 2018