Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Not Operator posted:

lol, banned from the UCB after multiple rape allegations.

At this point it looks less like he's raping women just because he's a monster and more for the hope of a big cash payout for discrimination when people inevitably start ostracising him.

Trump's America :cryingeagle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

The_end posted:

Why not run to the side?

Oh no you can and also use a comealong but that is different

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's Monday night on Wall Street, right? Someone just told me to do a search on "$XIV" on twitter and said if you can understand that you know why tomorrow's going to be even worse than today.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

On the plus side for that lady and her honda, what was once a new bumper is now a total replacement ! yay new car

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

How low is bitcoin gonna go

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

AlmightyBob posted:

How low is bitcoin gonna go

You know that image of a set of stairs leading down to another set of stairs leading down to the first set of stairs leading down....

Bitcoin is like that. It goes down in value, splits off into another coin, goes down in value, splits off into another coin....

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Memento posted:

It's Monday night on Wall Street, right? Someone just told me to do a search on "$XIV" on twitter and said if you can understand that you know why tomorrow's going to be even worse than today.

Isn't that a Volatility Index?

FAKE EDIT (I googled mid comment):
Indeed it is, and I just learned that when it's XIV, it means its an Inverse Volatility Index.

I know enough to stay away from them. The prospectus for this one is basically a big old SWIM AT YOUR OWN RISK

quote:

"The ETNs, and in particular the 2x Long ETNs, are intended to be trading tools for sophisticated investors to manage daily trading risks...The ETNs are riskier than securities that have intermediate or long-term investment objectives, and may not be suitable for investors who plan to hold them for longer than one day."

Apparently the plunge was stampeding sheep and hedge funds.

quote:

It is hard to tell who is exactly holding this short-term oriented security at this time. Filings from back in September show Credit Suisse, Deutsche Asset Management, Citadel Advisors, Flow Traders, and Two Sigma as the top holders.

Some hedge funds were caught holding the bag on this security. What they do next (or are forced to do) could determine what happens with the volatility trade and the overall market.

"Today's large increase of market volatility will clearly contribute to further outflows from systematic strategies in the days ahead (volatility targeting, risk parity, CTAs, short volatility)," added Kolanovic. "The total amount of these outflows may add to roughly $100 billion, as things stand."

Overall, I'd say it's going to be a bouncy couple weeks, but things will settle down as the herd calms.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I am increasingly convinced all economics is tricky magic and the vocabulary used around it are just hobgoblin nonsense phrases. Bitcoin doubly so.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If the power went off and never came back on you'd quickly see how real those sort of economics are.

Zero.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
That was lovely. I don't think I could do that on purpose.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Didn't a load of the Dragon Age II developers get tattoos? And did a load of them get laid off soon after?

That's the best game of all time and I will defend it until I die.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

fizzymercy posted:

I am increasingly convinced all economics is tricky magic and the vocabulary used around it are just hobgoblin nonsense phrases. Bitcoin doubly so.

austrian economics may as well be hogwarts

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Memento posted:

The VIX is calculated based on options prices so it doesn't get updated after the options markets close. IOW, that's the number from Monday afternoon. As a calibration, the futures markets are trading and they're all up over 1% (04:00 Eastern time).

Anyone who thinks that they can look at one indicator and tell you what's going to happen tomorrow is dreaming.

Markets are down 8% from their all time highs. Today they fell through their 50 day moving average but they're still above their 200 day moving average. Many traders viewed the 50 day moving average as a critical price support level. The first three times that the markets tested that level on Monday there were small recoveries. The fourth time there was a strong imbalance between sell orders and buy orders. The triggered further downward movement, that triggered a large number of cancelled trade orders, that triggered further weakness. The algorithms kicked in and doubled the pull back.

Over the past four years (this includes the 'crash' right after Brexit), the 50 day moving average has been a reliable price support level. If there's further weakness over the next few days we could see markets falling to their 200 day moving average. That would take us down anther few percent.

Before this multi-year bull market, it was normal to have a 5% correction more-or-less quarterly and not unusual to have a 10% correction once a year.

People who haven't been through this before (or who haven't paid attention to longer term trends) are likely to be saying some pretty silly things right about now.

FWIW, there have only been two years when markets hit all time highs in January and then failed to close out the year higher than that.

HawkHill has a new favorite as of 10:21 on Feb 6, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yet reading news sites would make you think people are going to be jumping off buildings because the Dow Jones is down

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

This is actually good to know, thank you.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

Enos Cabell posted:

That's like, the worst thing she could have done there. Never a good idea to leave your insanely well engineered passenger car cabin to brave things on foot.

That crash reminded me of this golden oldie.

https://i.imgur.com/aflpKu9.gifv

Pick posted:

That's the best game of all time and I will defend it until I die.

DryGoods has a new favorite as of 11:41 on Feb 6, 2018

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

DryGoods posted:

That crash reminded me of this golden oldie.

https://i.imgur.com/aflpKu9.gifv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEBR8baVhxE

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuTXUcoGdhw

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/TbGUo2p.mp4

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I like how the woman on the far right grabs her own hair like she's worried she'll get puke on it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:yossame:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

HawkHill posted:

The VIX is calculated based on options prices so it doesn't get updated after the options markets close. IOW, that's the number from Monday afternoon. As a calibration, the futures markets are trading and they're all up over 1% (04:00 Eastern time).

Anyone who thinks that they can look at one indicator and tell you what's going to happen tomorrow is dreaming.

Markets are down 8% from their all time highs. Today they fell through their 50 day moving average but they're still above their 200 day moving average. Many traders viewed the 50 day moving average as a critical price support level. The first three times that the markets tested that level on Monday there were small recoveries. The fourth time there was a strong imbalance between sell orders and buy orders. The triggered further downward movement, that triggered a large number of cancelled trade orders, that triggered further weakness. The algorithms kicked in and doubled the pull back.

Over the past four years (this includes the 'crash' right after Brexit), the 50 day moving average has been a reliable price support level. If there's further weakness over the next few days we could see markets falling to their 200 day moving average. That would take us down anther few percent.

Before this multi-year bull market, it was normal to have a 5% correction more-or-less quarterly and not unusual to have a 10% correction once a year.

People who haven't been through this before (or who haven't paid attention to longer term trends) are likely to be saying some pretty silly things right about now.

FWIW, there have only been two years when markets hit all time highs in January and then failed to close out the year higher than that.

I wonder if loss of over 4 trillion dollars after years of strong exponential growth is going to have an affect on market's confidence even though "it's what's supposed to happen"

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

MizPiz posted:

I wonder if loss of over 4 trillion dollars after years of strong exponential growth is going to have an affect on market's confidence even though "it's what's supposed to happen"

The rout just needs to hire a good PR firm, maybe have someone write a fluff piece in the times.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/ocTXRCF.mp4

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That ranks up there in "couldn't do that if they tried".

Which is impressive and schad!

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Enos Cabell posted:

That's like, the worst thing she could have done there. Never a good idea to leave your insanely well engineered passenger car cabin to brave things on foot.

This reminds me of a video I saw posted here maybe a year or two ago of people driving over an icy hill and bailing out once they realized they'd lost control going downhill. What made it especially funny was that their cars were sliding slowly so they definitely put themselves in much more danger by jumping out than staying inside. It's not the gif DryGoods posted, it was several different cars/people. Anyone else know what I'm talking about and have a link to the video? I'd love to see it again.

I can't find it, but I did find this classic again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCEzEVJkO1U

Mountaineer has a new favorite as of 16:14 on Feb 6, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And I'll say what I said last time:

If you're going too fast to stop, then you're going too fast :colbert:

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Mu Zeta posted:

Yet reading news sites would make you think people are going to be jumping off buildings because the Dow Jones is down

If you listen to the sources that traders listen to (like Bloomberg and CNBC) you'll hear them talking to analysts and fund managers and they're saying the exact opposite. This is what markets do under normal conditions. The talk for years has been that markets have been abnormal because they've been ridiculously positive. Washing out one month's gains from a 8 year bull market isn't a big deal.

What's ridiculous is commentators talking in terms of absolute numbers of dollars or points on an index.

What matters is percentages. If I'm managing a fund with a billion dollars in my portfolio I don't get twitchy over a one day loss of a million dollars; that's at 10th of a percent. But if I'm a retail investor with 5 million in my account and I lose a million...

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

MizPiz posted:

Short term markets are going to be choppy for a while because no on knows if the markets are going to correct further. But literally no one that I've seen interviewed yesterday or today has said anything more negative than 'it might correct to the 200 day moving average before we bottom'.

Mom and pop retail investors? Yeah, some of them will be panic.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Mountaineer posted:

This reminds me of a video I saw posted here maybe a year or two ago of people driving over an icy hill and bailing out once they realized they'd lost control going downhill. What made it especially funny was that their cars were sliding slowly so they definitely put themselves in much more danger by jumping out than staying inside. It's not the gif DryGoods posted, it was several different cars/people. Anyone else know what I'm talking about and have a link to the video? I'd love to see it again.

I can't find it, but I did find this classic again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCEzEVJkO1U

jesus this guy is way too involved, WHY ARENT YOU PUTTING MORE CONES OUT!?!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

LifeSunDeath posted:

I was wondering that. I mean there are accidents and poo poo going on, just call the cops and don't be a super hero fighting utility workers. LMAO

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Well I'M not the problem, I'm never the problem. It must be...THE CONES

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

I agree, weddings suck

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

ElGroucho posted:

I agree, weddings suck

This one blew chunks.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTeUQ9I06MU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

LifeSunDeath posted:

I like how just as he's predicting that cars will slide out, they come to a safe stop and go around the cones easily. Wow, its almost like they were driving at a safe speed in icy conditions and thus had plenty of space and time to come to a stop.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

One of these days I'm gonna figure out how Nathan (or is it Keith) gets those cuts done so perfectly. I assume witchcraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Saint Freak posted:

One of these days I'm gonna figure out how Nathan (or is it Keith) gets those cuts done so perfectly. I assume witchcraft.

The hard part is the physical work. He's doing the moves exactly identically every time.

I want to know what Devil Fruit this man ate to get his body to move and react to impacts like that.