Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Last meeting with "Holy Men" went horribly wrong.
To the Watchtower!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Maugrim posted:

Surely the good brothers of the sword wouldn't stab us. Let's accept their hospitality.
Just because they're into swords doesn't mean they're violent. Maybe they're just nerds.

The Jungle of Horrors" posted:

You dismount and climb the steps leading to the temple doors. An old man in brown robes answers your knock and invites you and Paido inside; a novice attends to your horses.

Stepping through the door is like stepping into another world. The air is sweet with incense and the flickering light, cast by a long row of squat red candles, does little to illuminate the interior. You follow the old man along a vaulted corridor, down several flights of stairs, and finally into a torchlit refectory. A delicious smell of cooking wafts from an open hatch in the wall together with the sounds of people in the kitchen beyond.

‘Be seated,’ says the old man, pointing to a stout oak table laid for supper, ‘and enjoy our humble food. May it revive you after your travels and fortify you for the road ahead.’

Another monk enters the chamber, carrying two steaming plates of meat stew. He sets them down before you and blesses the food with the words, ‘Gaj kog zutag’. You are hungry after your day’s journey and must now eat a Meal or lose 3 ENDURANCE points.
We have Huntmastery so we don't need to eat the stew, but we still can if we want. Or we could give it a miss.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Well it would just be rude to refuse, wouldn't it?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Refuse the stew. Experience with another Wolf-related adventure book is giving me a bad feeling about this.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

eat stew

How do you hunt inside a monastery? I'm impressed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

How do you hunt inside a monastery? I'm impressed.
Huntmastery removes the restrictions on hunting in deserts and wastelands, so I assume cities aren't a problem - even if you have to eat rodents or dogs or something.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

quote:

Gaj kog zutag

The monks spoke to us in a language we understood, why suddenly use this odd language?

Something's up. Refuse the food.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Only those evil foreigners would dare not speak English to us, don't trust them

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

achtungnight posted:

Refuse the stew. Experience with another Wolf-related adventure book is giving me a bad feeling about this.

anakha posted:

The monks spoke to us in a language we understood, why suddenly use this odd language? Something's up. Refuse the food.
That's the goblin language or whatever from book one and two.

Our powers have never let us down before..? Let's skip the meal.

Tiggum posted:

Huntmastery removes the restrictions on hunting in deserts and wastelands, so I assume cities aren't a problem - even if you have to eat rodents or dogs or something.

quote:

HUNTMASTERY
This skill ensures that a Kai Master will never starve in the wild; he will always be able to hunt for food, even in areas of wasteland and desert. It also enables a Kai Master to move with great speed and dexterity and will allow him to ignore any extra loss of COMBAT SKILL points due to a surprise attack or ambush. Kai Primates with this skill have a greatly increased agility and are able to climb without the use of climbing aids, such as ropes, etc.
This series often tells you when Huntmastery is allowed. That's why you always bring food anyways. Especially since we're heading into an evil swamp.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 5, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

It seems to me that it more often tells you when Huntmastery isn't allowed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jackard posted:

This series often tells you when Huntmastery is allowed. That's why you always bring food anyways. Especially since we're heading into an evil swamp.

Leraika posted:

It seems to me that it more often tells you when Huntmastery isn't allowed.
It's really, really inconsistent about when Hunting/Huntmastery works (also about how often you even need to eat), but yeah, it's more likely to note when it doesn't work than when it does. I was being pretty harsh about it in the earlier books but since we've now got the Magnakai version of the Discipline I've eased up on it a bit. If we pick Grand Huntmastery when it becomes available I'm going to just assume that Lone Wolf can absorb nutrients out of the air and therefore won't need Meals anywhere (unless directly specified in the text).

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

he enters lotus state and draws energy from the cosmos. also has no need for sleep

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Refuse the food.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
It's not like we ever had problems with monks so fa... oh wait.

Let's do some fasting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jackard posted:

he enters lotus state and draws energy from the cosmos. also has no need for sleep

Kai monks, the original Breatharians.

And yeah, refuse the food. I ain't eating poo poo if you say grace in Giak.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

eat it, pussy

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Mikl posted:

Well it would just be rude to refuse, wouldn't it?

It's probably a rule of the order to stab anyone who refuses their food.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Tiggum posted:

If we pick Grand Huntmastery when it becomes available I'm going to just assume that Lone Wolf can absorb nutrients out of the air and therefore won't need Meals anywhere (unless directly specified in the text).

Pretty much. The Grandmaster Kai Disciplines might as well be magic (and actually are, in two cases) compared to even the Magnakai Disciplines.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Helios Grime posted:

It's not like we ever had problems with monks so fa... oh wait.

Let's do some fasting.
Hey, some monks are good, some are evil, there's no reason to assume that they're all the same.

The Jungle of Horrors posted:

The monks appear upset by your refusal to eat. They whisper to each other and cast anxious glances at your untouched plate. Paido is busy eating his stew, smiling delightedly as he fills his empty stomach. The monks hurry out of the refectory and return minutes later in the company of an elderly man dressed in a hooded black robe. He carries a staff of plain black iron.

‘Has the Vakeros eaten?’ he asks, his voice strangely cold and monotonal.

‘Yes, master,’ the monks reply, ‘but the Kai Lord refused.’

‘Leave us,’ commands the black-robed figure, ‘and summon the brothers.’

The refectory door slams shut, and you hear the sound of a metal bar being drawn. There is a hiss of steel against leather as Paido unsheathes his sword. He levels the blue blade at the sinister monk and narrows his cat-like eyes. ‘What do you want with us?’ he says, his voice sharp and threatening. But the monk offers no reply. He stands motionless, his eyes fixed firmly on you. Paido repeats his demand, but his voice sounds weaker. The sword trembles in his hand and, with a groan, he collapses, scattering plates and cutlery as he hits the table and rolls to the floor.

A distant echoing whistle issues from the monk’s open mouth. Steadily it rises in pitch until it passes beyond the range of your hearing. At that moment a terrible pain courses through your head. The pain and pressure grows until your skull feels ready to explode.

You fight to erect a mindshield to counter the searing pain of this psychic attack, but your defence is too weak to withstand the onslaught. You scream in agony as the assault cuts deep into the fabric of your mind: lose 8 ENDURANCE points.

Endurance: 29/37.

A ghastly transformation is taking place before your eyes. The monk’s face is writhing and contorting as the skin tightens and grows darker. Tattered flesh drops from his sunken cheeks to hang in festoons beneath the exposed jawbone. A sickening dread fills your heart as you recognize the creature standing before you. It is a Helghast, a nightmarish agent of the Darklords. Its demonic eyes glow like red-hot coals as it shrieks and raises its long black staff.

Healing: +1 EP (30/37).

A cold blue fire burns at the tip of the Helghast’s staff, but the chill of its icy flame is thawed by the golden fire of the sun-sword. Sword and staff collide with a deafening boom and a crackling web of energy surrounds you both, scorching the refectory walls with its blistering intensity.

Gnaag Helghast: COMBAT SKILL 38 ENDURANCE 48

This creature is immune to Mindblast (but not Psi-surge). Unless you possess the Magnakai Discipline of Psi-screen you must reduce your ENDURANCE by 2 points at the beginning of every round you fight this creature. If you have completed the Lore-circle of the Spirit you may increase your COMBAT SKILL by 2 points for the duration of the fight. Remember to double all ENDURANCE point losses sustained by the enemy due to the power of the Sommerswerd.
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 32 ENDURANCE 30
Gnaag Helghast: COMBAT SKILL 38 ENDURANCE 48
Combat Ratio: -6

We roll: 10
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 32 ENDURANCE 28
Gnaag Helghast: COMBAT SKILL 38 ENDURANCE 30

We roll: 9
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 32 ENDURANCE 26
Gnaag Helghast: COMBAT SKILL 38 ENDURANCE 14

We roll: 8
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 32 ENDURANCE 22
Gnaag Helghast: COMBAT SKILL 38 ENDURANCE 0

The Helghast vents a cry of rage and despair as you strike the blow that seals its doom. It crumples and falls, its flesh transforming into a vile green gas. All that remains is the torn and shredded robe that once concealed its identity.

Your mind reels at what has just occurred, but you dare not dwell on the fearful implications, for you can make out the sound of feet running down the stairs beyond the locked refectory door. You rush to Paido’s side and shake him, trying desperately to revive him. He groans, his head lolling from side to side as you drag him to his feet. There is now only one escape route from the refectory—the hatch in the wall that leads to the kitchens. You lift Paido across your shoulder and bundle him through the narrow opening. But, before you can pull yourself through, the door slams open and a rush of monks pour into the refectory.

Healing: +1 EP (23/37).
Do we use our bow, stand and fight, or just try to get away?

Also I suppose I should remind everyone that we have some potions in our backpack and if you want to use them at any time you can say so. You can also suggest thresholds for using them if you want to save them till right before combat, eg. "use the +4 laumspur if we begin combat with less than 20 endurance" or whatever. Remember though that potions can't be used once combat has begun, so you can't vote to heal up mid-combat.

Once you enter the city of Tharro it's inevitable that Paido will be poisoned. There is a way to avoid the city, but it's not a route you're likely to stumble on unless you're going back through the book deliberately taking options you didn't try the last time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Materant posted:

Pretty much. The Grandmaster Kai Disciplines might as well be magic (and actually are, in two cases) compared to even the Magnakai Disciplines.

The two magic ones aren't Kai disciplines, though. They're teachings made available to the Kai by Banedon's order of Mages.

On the other hand, by that point Lone Wolf is aging only one year for every seven that pass, which is a serious level of Zen.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Our companion's dying, no time to stop and fight.

Bug out.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Tsk, what is with all these fake monks. Sounds like there are too many to bother shooting, so let's make tracks.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
We have a bow and we wish to use it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Run away Drag Paido away.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Use the +4 Laumspur now and follow Paido right away through the hatch don't want him be alone too long with whatever may be in the kitchen.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Jedit posted:

The two magic ones aren't Kai disciplines, though. They're teachings made available to the Kai by Banedon's order of Mages.
one is from Banedon, other is from the the magi we met last book

Jackard fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 5, 2018

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Bro over bow. Get out.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Kill 'em all

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Broken Box posted:

Bro over bow. Get out.
This is the only way to avoid combat - firing an arrow just makes the resulting combat slightly easier.

From behind come screams of outrage as the monks stumble upon the smouldering remains of the Helghast. ‘Stop the murderers!’ they cry. ‘Stop them!’

Suddenly a sharp pain shoots up your leg as a monk slashes you viciously with a short sword. Pick a number from the Random Number Table (in this instance, 0 = 10). The number you pick is equal to the number of ENDURANCE points you lose as you scramble through the hatch.

We roll: 10
Endurance: 13/37.

You jump to your feet and scan the room, your weapon poised to strike down any would-be attacker. Fortunately the place is empty, the cooks having been summoned to the refectory. You sheathe your weapon, lift Paido across your shoulder, and run towards an open door at the far end of the kitchen. As you pass a steaming cauldron of stew you catch sight of a stoppered Vial of Clear Liquid. You stop to pocket the Vial (remember to mark it on your Action Chart as a Special Item) before running through the door and into the corridor beyond. At the end of the corridor are a wooden door and a staircase that ascends to the floor above.

Healing: +1 EP (14/37).

A strong aura of good emanates from the room above, and you suspect that it is a place of worship. However, this aura masks your ability to detect if the room is occupied or empty. The door ahead gives off no special aura.

Healing: +1 EP (15/37).
Do we take the stairs or the door?

Apparently Pathsmanship lets us detect auras now.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
If it's that good, maybe the helghasts can't follow us there. Take the stairs.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Door. Just in case our aura sense is wrong.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Might as well stairs, also down another potion if we've got it.

I remember really liking this part of the book when I played it last.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Leraika posted:

Might as well stairs, also down another potion if we've got it.

I remember really liking this part of the book when I played it last.

You should specify which potion. Also, we didn't drink one last time because only one person voted to and their number didn't come up. Anyone who wants to drink a potion should say so, because the more votes it gets the more likely we are to do it. Anyone who definitely doesn't want to drink a potion should say so as well.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

No potion for now. Follow the aura up the stairs.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

1x Laumspur +4 then.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Drink a Laumspur +4 and take the stairs.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

stairs and no potions

if there's anything Planescape Torment taught me, it's that the correct way to do things is wait hours for your 1 hp regen to fully heal you :colbert:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Leraika posted:

Might as well stairs

anakha posted:

No potion for now.
No time for refreshments, we're being chased!

At the top of the stairs you pass through a curtained archway and step into a large prayer hall. A central aisle separates the pews of white wood, which face a golden pulpit with a facia shaped to resemble a flaming sword. Carefully you rest Paido on a pew and examine the glass vial you found in the kitchen. Your fears and suspicions are soon confirmed—it contains poison. The clear, sticky fluid is sap from the gnadurn tree, a substance used frequently by assassins because of its lack of flavour or scent. The monks must have put some of this poison in the food that Paido unwittingly consumed. The sap is deadly, and you must act quickly if you are to save your companion’s life.

You hear the sound of running feet and the growl of dogs off the leash at the bottom of the stairs. Once more you shoulder your burden, carrying Paido towards the far end of the hall in search of an exit. Behind a drawn curtain you discover a door, but it is locked and bolted from the other side. The noise of your pursuers grows louder as they climb the stairs to the hall.

Healing: +1 EP (16/37).

You take cover behind the pulpit and focus your Invisibility skill on a corner at the far end of the hall. Two hunting dogs run through the curtained archway and stop in the middle of the aisle, as if waiting for their handlers to catch up. Seconds later a group of monks appear, each armed with a sword. They approach the far corner and search it thoroughly, certain that the pews harbour you and your companion. When they discover them empty, they quickly leave the hall and descend the stairs, their baying hounds in tow.

Healing: +1 EP (17/37).

You lift Paido across your shoulders once more and return to the rear of the hall to investigate the locked door. As you pass the pulpit your Sixth Sense is aroused by the feeling that this podium is not all that it seems. Curiosity conquers caution and you stop to examine it more closely.

Healing: +1 EP (18/37).

You climb the steps to the pulpit as swiftly as you are able and rest Paido in the recess behind its sword-shaped facia. By chance his tunic snags on a hidden lever and, as his body slumps over, the lever is pulled to one side. Suddenly the floor of the pulpit shudders and begins to descend into a secret passage beneath the hall.

Carefully you pull Paido off the platform and raise him into a sitting position, his back against the passage wall. Slowly the platform rises back into the pulpit. In the silence of this secret passage all you can hear is the shallow breathing of your unconscious companion. You lift one of his eyelids and note that the almond-shaped iris is fully dilated. Your basic Kai skill of healing informs you that he is in a coma.

Healing: +1 EP (19/37).

His weakening pulse warns you that unless he receives an antidote or a healing potion, he will be dead within the hour.

Healing: +1 EP (20/37).

You unhook a flask of water attached to Paido’s belt, tip your Laumspur potion into it, and shake it vigorously. Carefully you tilt back Paido’s head and pour the mixture into his mouth, a drop at a time: in his comatose state he is unable to cough and it would be easy to fill his lungs by accident. It is a slow and painstaking process, which takes hours to complete.

It is dawn of the following day before you know for sure if you have saved his life.

Healing: +1 EP (21/37).

A bead of sweat on Paido’s forehead is the first sign of his recovery. Slowly he stirs to consciousness, waking from a sleep that was so nearly his last. He can remember nothing of the ordeal, and when you tell him what has happened he shakes his head in disbelief. ‘A Helghast?’ he says, incredulously. ‘How can it be?’

‘The servants of Darklord Gnaag have infiltrated this monastery,’ you reply. ‘They have kept themselves hidden, but I fear the day is fast approaching when they will rise up and wreak their havoc. Already they know our true identities, and I wager they know why we’re here.’

‘This is bitter news, Lone Wolf,’ replies Paido, his face etched with worry. ‘We can afford to delay no longer. If Talestria falls to Darklord Gnaag before we reach the Danarg, then the quest is lost.’ You nod in agreement, and as you cast your eyes along the gloomy passageway, you cannot help but wonder if the quest is already lost. With a shake of your head you dismiss the thought and help Paido to his feet.

The passage follows a tortuous path that leads eventually to a panelled door. A raised button activates the lock, and the door slides into the wall to reveal a strange room. Domed and hexagonal, its walls are hung with tapestries depicting strange and grotesque creatures. Numerous plinths stand upon the richly carpeted floor, each supporting a large bowl filled to the brim with a silvery liquid. Cautiously you step through the secret portal and into this sumptuous chamber.

Healing: +1 EP (22/37).

One of the bowls begins to emit a faint humming sound. The surface of its silvery liquid swirls and glows brighter, casting a phosphorescent light onto the domed ceiling. The sparkling mist slowly clears and a strange image takes shape, condensing and forming into something wholly alien, something that resembles the head of a monstrous fly. Its great multi-faceted eyes stare down at you, gleaming darkly with black fire, like two huge clusters of evil jewels.

Tan-ash-okja Nadoknar Gnaag!’ booms a ghastly, rasping voice. Then, with a stifled cry of rage and recognition, the image clouds over and the light fades to a dull glow. The terrible visage of Darklord Gnaag has disappeared.

‘By the gods!’ gasps Paido, shocked to the core by what he has seen. ‘What manner of beast was that?’ But you do not reply, for you sense that he already knows the dreadful answer.

Swiftly you search the chamber. Behind a throne-like chair of chiselled stone you discover several useful items: a Sword, a Bow, 3 Arrows and enough food for 2 Meals. Also, set into the back of the chair, is a lever. It activates a portal in the opposite wall. The tapestry that conceals it is drawn aside, and you can see a stairway, flanked by torches, descending to a passage far below.

‘Come,’ says Paido. ‘This room chills my blood.’ You move to follow him as he descends the stairs, stopping briefly to kick over the bowl of glowing, silvery liquid that projected the image of Darklord Gnaag.

Healing: +1 EP (23/37).

The stairs lead down to a vast network of catacombs that stretch in every direction. It would be easy to lose yourself in this maze of tunnels, but your Kai tracking skills, heightened by the pressing need to escape from the monastery, help you avoid the hazards and dead ends of these sprawling burial vaults. Following the sound of dripping water, you discover a circular stone trapdoor in the ceiling. Paido cups his hands around your foot and lifts you nearer the tunnel roof, enabling you to open the trapdoor. Early morning daylight streams into the passage as you lift the slab of wet stone and slide it aside.

You have emerged at the courtyard on the north side of the monastery. Two monks stand guard at the double doors of a low, timber-framed building on the other side of the paved enclosure. Fortunately a line of bushy fruit trees that encircles the courtyard provide all the cover you need to avoid their watchful eyes. You crouch in the shadows and watch as the monks leave their posts to enter the building. Minutes later the doors swing open and they reappear, both on horseback, and ride off through an archway to the right. The courtyard is now empty but you curse their departure, for the horses they are riding belong to you and Paido.

Healing: +1 EP (24/37).
  1. We have three spaces free in our backpack if we want to take the Meals and our quiver is full so we can't take any arrows, but if we want to take either of the weapons or the vial of gnadurn sap then we'll need to discard special items to make room. The book says to write the vial on your action chart but doesn't specify that you must discard another item to make room for it, so I'm reading that as optional. What do we take?
  2. Do we enter the stables to find new horses or attempt to leave on foot?

The check for Invisibility here also checks your rank (ie. the number of previous Magnakai books you've read). So far these kind of "loyalty checks" have been pretty rare, but they're going to get a lot more common. And like this one they usually don't give you any benefit at all for having the Discipline but not the rank. In this case you need to have completed both books six and seven to get the benefit.

Rendalim's Elixir, Oede herb and the Magnakai Discipline of Curing are also possible cures for Paido's poisoning.

Oh, and I forgot to say earlier, but the "prayer" the monk says when handing out the food is Giak for "die painfully". The thing Gnaag says in this update is just "hear and obey Darklord Gnaag".

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Loot the Stables. Is it Game Over if we have no way to heal Paido?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
1. Take the 2 meals and chuck the diamonds for the vial of poison.

2. Loot the Stables