Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If you've ever seen a ridiculously tall guy buying army books, wandering around aimlessly looking at stuff to buy, and then lamenting how he can't play because the store policy requires fully assembled models and he disassembles his dudes to paint them... that's me.

On the other hand I should have 500 points painted soon so if someone wants an eager hanger-on to their game count me in.

I have a total of three fully painted models. I also have around 2000pts of partially painted, only primed, unprimed, and unassembled dudes that I've collected in the last 2 months since I started tapping the vein again.

I'll start looking for tall drifters forlornly mumbling to themselves next time I'm in the store. I tend to just walk in, grab what I need, pay for it and get out unless the store is empty. I have managed to talk to the bearded guy running the store a few times about stuff, and I showed him the Mark of Tzeentch I have tattooed on my arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Speaking of Adepticon, I finished my first couple of units for my lists, my Inceptors! The Rainbow Warriors have returned!]

Unggggghhhhhhhhh. I just got a rainboner.

Here is what I've been working on tonight.

dexefiend posted:

Still working on guns and base.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Two Beans posted:

I have a total of three fully painted models. I also have around 2000pts of partially painted, only primed, unprimed, and unassembled dudes that I've collected in the last 2 months since I started tapping the vein again.

I'll start looking for tall drifters forlornly mumbling to themselves next time I'm in the store. I tend to just walk in, grab what I need, pay for it and get out unless the store is empty. I have managed to talk to the bearded guy running the store a few times about stuff, and I showed him the Mark of Tzeentch I have tattooed on my arm.

Assemble some stuff and maybe at some point we can get our ham on.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Assemble some stuff and maybe at some point we can get our ham on.

workin' on it

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Speaking of Adepticon, I finished my first couple of units for my lists, my Inceptors! The Rainbow Warriors have returned!

Jesus gently caress this is amazing.

I have so many years of painting to go before I'm anywhere near this good. :negative: I'll get there damnit! I'll show all you goodpainter-sexhavers! :argh:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Neurolimal posted:

With superglue you're joining the pieces with an additive bond, meaning that additional material is created that holds them together. This means that when enough pressure is applied the additive will aborb most of the force and typically break. Plastic Cement/Plastic Glue is solvent-based, which means that it outright melts the two pieces together, ensuring a unified bond when properly applied.

Tldr superglue is fine for detail parts, not as good for areas that will be under pressure from the rest of the model. In a "which one is less likely to shatter if I drop it" contest the cement wins.
On the other hand, when it breaks, a dropped model built with super glue will almost always break at the join, rather than snapping plastic, making repairs much easier.

Also, you can put it in the freezer, making the glue brittle, for easy disassembly.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Edge highlighting these Inceptors sucks so bad, you guys. There are so many edges. There is no way I meet my deadline of done with them by tomorrow. This is a disappointment, but not a huge one.

They are looking good, though.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
How do you weigh down bases? I think I could move hordes of Genestealers around the table and therefore make my turns not take 45 minutes if they didn't topple over all the time. I'm afraid to try tiny metal ball bearings. They're 25mm bases, and a US quarter is about that size. Could I glue a quarter-sized slug underneath? Where would I even get those?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

LifeLynx posted:

How do you weigh down bases? I think I could move hordes of Genestealers around the table and therefore make my turns not take 45 minutes if they didn't topple over all the time. I'm afraid to try tiny metal ball bearings. They're 25mm bases, and a US quarter is about that size. Could I glue a quarter-sized slug underneath? Where would I even get those?

Try nickels.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

You can get them from the bank. You could also get washers, but they probably would actually cost more.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Sex Cannon posted:

Agreed

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I try to support the Springfield, VA store since they have some really awesome staff and it's one of the few stores with two people running it, but I completely understand how difficult it is to justify paying full price. In my case I bought the Primaris half of DI off of eBay, and if I ever do another major buy (like for a bunch of Inceptors) I'll probably do it online.

Yeah, usually I don't mind paying more to support a store, but when my actual FLGS is cheaper -and- carries the Vallejo paints I prefer, they're gonna get my money.

JBP posted:

I was reading about some tournament ruining lists the other day and can't remember what they were. I assume space wolves are horseshit as usual in 8th competitive matches?

Wolves seem to be doing fine. I'm sucking with them, but that's normal. :) Hopefully they'll get new kit with the codex release, so something other than Wulfen Wulfen Everywhere sees the table more often.

Thanks for this, it seems handy!

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 6, 2018

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Speaking of Adepticon, I finished my first couple of units for my lists, my Inceptors! The Rainbow Warriors have returned!

Fully sick

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Am I blind? There appears to be no points in the back for Aspiring Sorcerers or Scarab Occult Sorcerers. Unless they’ve had their points folded into a normal model of each unit. But they were in the Index and pricey to boot.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

They're free now iirc, rolled into the squad price.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I try to support the Springfield, VA store since they have some really awesome staff and it's one of the few stores with two people running it, but I completely understand how difficult it is to justify paying full price. In my case I bought the Primaris half of DI off of eBay, and if I ever do another major buy (like for a bunch of Inceptors) I'll probably do it online.

My local GW manager is awesome and they must be doing well since they finally got him some help so the store can be open seven days a week. I go in every month for White Dwarf and pick up a paint or two, and occasionally I’ll throw a bigish purchase his way (preordered Necromunda there). I know I could save even more money shifting completely to online but I figure I’m not buying food or shelter so I like to help the shop stay around.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Paints are definitely a good way to support your local stores, during the dark ages of GW they were their primary revenue source. They're usually cheap enough that the cost of online shipping tends to make them more expensive than buying them from a store.

Reaper and Nolzur miniatures are also good pickups for the same reason. As 3d printing and home casting gets easier and easier paints, cheapass minis, and model kits with multiple sprue sheets are probably what will keep hobby stores afloat.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Sex Cannon posted:

Edge highlighting these Inceptors sucks so bad, you guys. There are so many edges. There is no way I meet my deadline of done with them by tomorrow. This is a disappointment, but not a huge one.

I'm about to start highlighting my second set, despite vowing to not paint more of them for exactly this reason :suicide:

It'll be worth it though, since they're armed with plasma guns and don't use those sodding flight stands.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Also TSons Codex has a stratagem that appears to let you use the Mutalith Vortex Beast ability table for a third time in a turn. For one CP. Ridiculously good.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Neurolimal posted:

Reaper and Nolzur miniatures are also good pickups for the same reason. As 3d printing and home casting gets easier and easier paints, cheapass minis, and model kits with multiple sprue sheets are probably what will keep hobby stores afloat.

I'm still not remotely convinced by this line of argument. If 3D printing to the standard of current GW plastics was viable now or in the near future, they'd be all over it. No matter what the rest of their business has been like, they've been light years ahead of everyone else as far as plastics technology for the past few decades. The idea that they're going to get blindsided by a wave of dudes in basements putting out minis on a home printer seems like nerd fantasy to me.

That doesn't mean 3D printing won't replace garbage-tier stuff like old Mantic or cause a giant bleed of "identical low-grade WW2 infantry" one-man presses, but it's not the five-year future of the hobby.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Corrode posted:

they've been light years ahead of everyone else as far as plastics technology for the past few decades

They really haven't. GW plastics are nothing special, they just produce more of them. The Perry and North Star kits are at least on the level of the Warhammer plastic regiments from just before AOS (and a hell of a lot cheaper to boot) and their vehicles have nothing on proper tank models. You're also forgetting some of the absolutely awful scenery kits GW produced a while back which didn't fit together without a lot of gap filling.

Apologies for bringing up the dreaded Anime again, but if you want to see what actual decades ahead plastics are like you should look into Gunpla. Snap together kits that need a bare minimum of clean up with coloured parts so painting is optional with actual colour separation on sprue, etc.

Not that GW stuff is bad, they just don't deserve putting on a pedestal for it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, usually I don't mind paying more to support a store, but when my actual FLGS is cheaper -and- carries the Vallejo paints I prefer, they're gonna get my money.

No argument here. I would love a local store to support like that.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Corrode posted:

I'm still not remotely convinced by this line of argument. If 3D printing to the standard of current GW plastics was viable now or in the near future, they'd be all over it. No matter what the rest of their business has been like, they've been light years ahead of everyone else as far as plastics technology for the past few decades. The idea that they're going to get blindsided by a wave of dudes in basements putting out minis on a home printer seems like nerd fantasy to me.

That doesn't mean 3D printing won't replace garbage-tier stuff like old Mantic or cause a giant bleed of "identical low-grade WW2 infantry" one-man presses, but it's not the five-year future of the hobby.

Yeah, I'd say easy DIY casting kits will have a bigger impact on the market, though I wouldnt be surprised if people started printing out upgrade sprues rather than pay out the rear end for a gun barrel or pauldron (if 3d printing gets cheap enough to be commonplace).

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

Yeah, I'd say easy DIY casting kits will have a bigger impact on the market, though I wouldnt be surprised if people started printing out upgrade sprues rather than pay out the rear end for a gun barrel or pauldron (if 3d printing gets cheap enough to be commonplace).

Also to get really great 3D printed parts you need the fancy wax immersion models which are neither cheap nor easy to handle from what I've read.

A lot of the models are mastered with 3d from one of these fancy machines but still a manufactured traditionally for this exact reason.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Additive Manufacturing works well for certain jobs because the price per unit is largely fixed. GW's business model is at a volume that's beyond where AM makes sense. While there are certainly systems out there today can put out some very detailed modeis, they after not consumer grade and don't pose much of a threat. ShapeWays has already shown there is a place for AM in this hobby.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zark the Damned posted:

They really haven't. GW plastics are nothing special, they just produce more of them. The Perry and North Star kits are at least on the level of the Warhammer plastic regiments from just before AOS (and a hell of a lot cheaper to boot) and their vehicles have nothing on proper tank models. You're also forgetting some of the absolutely awful scenery kits GW produced a while back which didn't fit together without a lot of gap filling.

Apologies for bringing up the dreaded Anime again, but if you want to see what actual decades ahead plastics are like you should look into Gunpla. Snap together kits that need a bare minimum of clean up with coloured parts so painting is optional with actual colour separation on sprue, etc.

Not that GW stuff is bad, they just don't deserve putting on a pedestal for it.

You're note exactly comparing like for like here (bolded). Those are designed for a completely different purpose, based on completely different design principles. I doubt many gunpla miniatures are expected to be regularly handled for gameplay, for example, and there is a huge price differential between "perfect grade" and "consumer grade." I'm not well versed enough in gunpla stuff to make a real judgment but I'm also curious whether the things you mention are especially technologically difficult - do GW not do it because they can't or because they choose not to?

I can't find out what North Star manufacture themselves to compare like for like, but the Perry sculpts are good quality (it should be, they're bloody good sculptors) but hardly equivalent - it's human-sized dudes in mostly interchangeable period clothes. I'd like to see some sprues which would be a fairer comparison, but it's not just "is the end model roughly similar in quality." Are they shipping anywhere near the same volume?

It's worth also bearing in mind what was brought up before about GW being used as contractors for high-quality plastics production for other businesses.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Having built every grade of gunpla now, I'd say that most of them are pretty sturdy. Newer designed models usually have really good weight balance, and most perfect grades have really thick and chunky inner frames.

I'd say that the disparity comes more from their specialization and traditional staff more than anything; GW armored units are first and foremost designed and engineered by sculptors, in the normal tradition for miniature sculpts. Meanwhile Bandai's offerings have roots in traditional model kits, and while there are certainly artists responsible for the kits' outward appearance the end product is first and foremost -engineered-. Basically comparing a car engine to a stone heart.

They both have their positives; solid sculpts allow more organic designs without needing to care much for articulation, joint clearance, and weight balance. Whereas model kits allow dynamic posing, friendlier customization, and a more 'realistic' feel.

It would be fun to see an imperial knight designed as a model kit.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I just assembled the new Nurgle Poop Tree, and I have to say, the kit is pretty solid. The branches attach via a ball and socket arrangement, so you can have a pile of trees that all look slightly different, which is nice.

I particularly like the fact that the mouth is filled with maggots.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

jadebullet posted:

I particularly like the fact that the mouth is filled with maggots.

This comment gave me the heeby-jeebies.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Corrode posted:

I'm not well versed enough in gunpla stuff to make a real judgment but I'm also curious whether the things you mention are especially technologically difficult - do GW not do it because they can't or because they choose not to?

Bit from column A, bit from column B. GW don't want to make poseable snap-fit figures because that eats into sales of glue, similar for colour-separated plastics and paint. Though they have started doing single colour snap fit stuff like Shadespire and the easy build kits so maybe that's gradually changing.

Modern Gundam kits are pretty sturdy and hand up to regular handling fairly well, though if it's a worry they could be glued together like GW kits.

And yes, the intended use is different, though there are rules out there online for wargaming with Gunpla kits.

My main point is the gap in their own field (other wargames minis companies) is a lot smaller than you say, even if GW are producing higher volumes it doesn't necessarily mean they're higher quality.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Corrode posted:

I can't find out what North Star manufacture themselves to compare like for like, but the Perry sculpts are good quality (it should be, they're bloody good sculptors) but hardly equivalent - it's human-sized dudes in mostly interchangeable period clothes. I'd like to see some sprues which would be a fairer comparison, but it's not just "is the end model roughly similar in quality." Are they shipping anywhere near the same volume?

I don't think quality is really a metric you can measure by quantity here. Perry sculpts are generally better than GW ones, but they have the luxury of taking their time, choosing projects they love, and analogue sculpting (rather than digital. )

Their sprues are pretty amazing, and they generally manage to hide assembly joints between natural seams or texture changes. GW still suffers from a weird CGI artefacts, odd seam placements, square butts, and Rambo faces.

It's kind of a moot distinction anyway, since some of the all-time best GW sculpts were also Perry figures.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
GW used 3D printing internally for prototyping. It's not like they're unaware of the technology and where things are pretty heading, but when you look at cost and scale, I'm pretty sure pressing plastic is gonna keep ahead in the near term, even when 3D printing catches up in quality.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Corrode posted:

You're note exactly comparing like for like here (bolded). Those are designed for a completely different purpose, based on completely different design principles. I doubt many gunpla miniatures are expected to be regularly handled for gameplay, for example, and there is a huge price differential between "perfect grade" and "consumer grade." I'm not well versed enough in gunpla stuff to make a real judgment but I'm also curious whether the things you mention are especially technologically difficult - do GW not do it because they can't or because they choose not to?

It's worth also bearing in mind what was brought up before about GW being used as contractors for high-quality plastics production for other businesses.

On my hobby bench are some Perry's civil war infantry and some hellblasters. The Perry stuff is great sculpts (the brothers are some of the best), and look good, but to say they are even remotely approaching the quality of the GW kit, in quality of material or mould, is frankly laughable. The GW kits are just wildly better. I'll grab some pics when I get home to compare if people like.

Lupercalcalcal fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 6, 2018

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
God if they got rid of mold lines I'd be so happy.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Entropy238 posted:

God if they got rid of mold lines I'd be so happy.

Oh that's another thing, dear lord do the Perry sprues have mould lines. And they're terrible to remove because the plastic is slightly bendier and springier, so you can smoothly scrape them away. I actually have some line I have to carefully slice away with the sharp side of scalpel.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I'm trying to figure out my loadout for my Blightlord terminators.

I plan on running a 5 man squad with a claim of corruption. The plan is to drop them in close and use their combi weapons as fire support, and their melee threat as an area denial bubble.

Where I am torn is the heavy weapon option. Do I go with the Reaper autocannon, despite the more melee focus of the squad, or do I go with a plague spewer for the close range power but risk that the squad will be reduced to only 3 offensive members beyond a certain range?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zark the Damned posted:

Bit from column A, bit from column B. GW don't want to make poseable snap-fit figures because that eats into sales of glue, similar for colour-separated plastics and paint. Though they have started doing single colour snap fit stuff like Shadespire and the easy build kits so maybe that's gradually changing.

Modern Gundam kits are pretty sturdy and hand up to regular handling fairly well, though if it's a worry they could be glued together like GW kits.

And yes, the intended use is different, though there are rules out there online for wargaming with Gunpla kits.

My main point is the gap in their own field (other wargames minis companies) is a lot smaller than you say, even if GW are producing higher volumes it doesn't necessarily mean they're higher quality.

moths posted:

I don't think quality is really a metric you can measure by quantity here. Perry sculpts are generally better than GW ones, but they have the luxury of taking their time, choosing projects they love, and analogue sculpting (rather than digital. )

Their sprues are pretty amazing, and they generally manage to hide assembly joints between natural seams or texture changes. GW still suffers from a weird CGI artefacts, odd seam placements, square butts, and Rambo faces.

It's kind of a moot distinction anyway, since some of the all-time best GW sculpts were also Perry figures.

When I'm talking about the quantity mattering, I'm talking mostly about capability to produce consistent quality at large volumes. It's not necessarily the same to be producing small runs of a few hundred figures a year as it is to produce on the scale of GW - like what Nifara is talking about is what I mean, one thing I've really noticed with new GW stuff is very faint or non-existent mold lines, whereas older stuff I've dug out of the bitz box is much worse. Are the Perrys capable of producing kits on the scale of say the new Great Unclean One or a Knight? Is the plastic equally good quality, etc.? Equally, could gunpla snap-fit stuff scale down the other way and retain all the features you mention?

I'm not being argumentative, I honestly don't know, but my understanding has always been that plastics is the one area where GW are pretty far ahead of their direct competitors and I'm interested to know if there's anything which suggests otherwise.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Nifara posted:

I actually have some line I have to carefully slice away with the sharp side of scalpel.

That's what I always do with GW models...

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

jadebullet posted:

So I'm trying to figure out my loadout for my Blightlord terminators.

I plan on running a 5 man squad with a claim of corruption. The plan is to drop them in close and use their combi weapons as fire support, and their melee threat as an area denial bubble.

Where I am torn is the heavy weapon option. Do I go with the Reaper autocannon, despite the more melee focus of the squad, or do I go with a plague spewer for the close range power but risk that the squad will be reduced to only 3 offensive members beyond a certain range?

Personally I went with the Blight Launcher. It's a solid weapon with good range and low cost. The Autocannon isn't a bad option, but even with the extra hits and range it doesn't seem to have that much of a punch for +5pts. The issue with the Plague Spewer is that dropping onto the field 9"+ away from a target means you're unable to use your flamer the turn you arrive. It adds a bit of a boost defensively, but if something charges them and are an actual threat a d6 heavy flamer hits isn't going to make a huge difference.

That said, the Blightlords are there to look scary and force your opponent to shoot the everloving poo poo out of them before you get your next turn. If they survive and are still in range of enemy models next turn, your opponent either did something wrong or had a terrible round of shooting. It's not necessarily a bad thing--with good positioning you can disrupt a ton of their army and skip a turn of incoming fire for ~250pts, but I rarely have had the chance to actually have them get into melee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Corrode posted:

I'm not being argumentative, I honestly don't know, but my understanding has always been that plastics is the one area where GW are pretty far ahead of their direct competitors and I'm interested to know if there's anything which suggests otherwise.

I think the disconnect is that Perry and GW aren't direct competitors. Perry is much more boutique, while GW is going for an all- in- one game/ rules/ IP warehouse hobby presence.

From that perspective, GW figures are best at being "GW figures." That is, they do the intended job of being used in GW games better than anything else on the market. But they're a leg of the stool, not an open ended stand-alone product.

A better direct comparison would be against Mantic, FFG, Wyrd, Battlefront, or Warlord. And GW has definitely outperformed all of them so far.

FFG's Descent-universe wargames have been pretty unremarkable, but I'm very eager to see how their 32mm Star Wars game will be received. The hobby aspect isn't especially popular with FFGs usual customers, but they already have the Xwing base.