Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah I was thinking of trying that or maybe even some other TTS I could buy. The problem is the book in question was written in German and has a lot of Philosophy Terms (TM) so I wasn't sure if an automated thing could handle it.

It's a possibility I could look into though. Thanks for telling me the Kindle TTS is actually good, I wasn't sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXy_IiFTohQ

Listen and judge for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

KingShiro posted:

Got an e-mail for a free month/book from Audible, so if you don't stay subbed, might want to keep an eye out for it.

Found it in my email, Thanks for the free Grant Amazon

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Rocksicles posted:

Anyone recommend anything with hitmen/assassins/spy stuff, that's not romance related?

Been listening to a lot of space opera and it's time for something else.

Audible has a mystery/thriller sale on right now which might have something of interest to you

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

bengy81 posted:

I am not a lawyer and all that jazz, but it is technically illegal to redesign books, unless it is in the public domain. Having said that, when I was a freshman in college I volunteered at the student accessibility center reading textbooks to tape for visually impaired students, and as far as I know we never got our dicks slapped for it. Also, what are the odds of somebody finding out that you are doing it if it is just for personal use?

Adapting books for the visually impaired by nonprofits is one of the allowed exemptions under copyright law.

NikkolasKing posted:

There is actually a Library for the Blind here in the US. I haven't used it in nearly ten years, ever since I graduated high school,. and I never had to request an audiobook be made by them. I have no idea what the process is now you mention it. That is an interesting avenue I can look into. Thank you for the suggestion.

Looks like the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped at least sort of has it:

Basic writings from Being and time (1927) to The task of thinking (1964) [sound recording] / Martin Heidegger ; edited, with general introd. and introductions to each selection by David Farrell Krell.

Anthology comprises six complete essays, two abridged pieces, and two excerpts from larger works. Covers a period of nearly forty years and provides the reader with a view of Heidegger’s thought on history, the fine arts, the natural sciences, and the theory of knowledge.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

fordan posted:

Adapting books for the visually impaired by nonprofits is one of the allowed exemptions under copyright law.

Looks like the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped at least sort of has it:

Basic writings from Being and time (1927) to The task of thinking (1964) [sound recording] / Martin Heidegger ; edited, with general introd. and introductions to each selection by David Farrell Krell.

Anthology comprises six complete essays, two abridged pieces, and two excerpts from larger works. Covers a period of nearly forty years and provides the reader with a view of Heidegger’s thought on history, the fine arts, the natural sciences, and the theory of knowledge.

The link doesn't work for me but I trust you. This is a very unexpected and awesome discovery I never even dared to hope for. Assuming this is the same Basic Writings I've seen recommended on a few places, this collection is the recommended way for anyone interested in Heidegger to start reading him because the work here is very accessible (compared to Being and Time) and helps familiarize you with his ideas. Or so I've been told.

Thank you so much for this. I just gotta re-sign up with the library but that isn't a real problem if I can get motivated and go see an eye doctor and have them fill out the paperwork.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

http://www.learningally.org/BookDetails/BookID/FS563

I cannot express to you all how happy I am right now. At present I'm far from Heidegger, I still need to get through some Kant and that was what I was Googling for when I found this website. Real people reading not only primary philosophy texts but secondary sources. My search for Heidegger fulfilled my wildest dreams. Not only is "Being and Time" there, but also his Nietzsche lectures, his Kant book, the "Basic Writings" collection of essays and, to top it all off, the Cambridge Companion to Heidegger which can help explain his thought to dumb people like me.

And searching some other names I'm interested in, I see plenty of other philosophers have their work on here as well as some supplementary material for them as well. They even have Charles Taylor's Hegel book. A major modern philosopher offering explanation and insight for one of the most important but loving impossible to understand philosophers in history.

This is loving amazing. It be even more amazing if I had the money to join right now but ya know, the mere fact this site exists and all those audiobooks exist is all that I really need for now. It totally made my day or week or life, really.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 8, 2018

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

NikkolasKing posted:

http://www.learningally.org/BookDetails/BookID/FS563

I cannot express to you all how happy I am right now. At present I'm far from Heidegger, I still need to get through some Kant and that was what I was Googling for when I found this website. Real people reading not only primary philosophy texts but secondary sources. My search for Heidegger fulfilled my wildest dreams. Not only is "Being and Time" there, but also his Nietzsche lectures, his Kant book, the "Basic Writings" collection of essays and, to top it all off, the Cambridge Companion to Heidegger which can help explain his thought to dumb people like me.

And searching some other names I'm interested in, I see plenty of other philosophers have their work on here as well as some supplementary material for them as well. They even have Charles Taylor's Hegel book. A major modern philosopher offering explanation and insight for one of the most important but loving impossible to understand philosophers in history.

This is loving amazing. It be even more amazing if I had the money to join right now but ya know, the mere fact this site exists and all those audiobooks exist is all that I really need for now. It totally made my day or week or life, really.

This service is cool and good.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I was searching for a recording of the Czech play Rossum's Universal Robots, librivox has a dramatic reading of it that's very good. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the voice actors have worked at least semi-professionally at it.

https://librivox.org/rur-rossums-universal-robots-by-karel-capek/

I also found a pdf of the translation they used and read along. http://libcom.org/files/rur.pdf

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Just bought about 30 books in the audible.co.uk sale :350:

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I stumbled on a neat little deal while looking for a new mystery series to listen to. If you search for Robert Crais's Elvis Cole and Joe Pike books, the series list includes two 3-for-1 book bundles.

Anyone know of any more bundles like this?

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I'm in the market for a good copy of Pride and Prejudice. Anyone have a good recommendation? When I search I find a million different versions.

Sharma
Nov 4, 2012

Lemony posted:

I'm in the market for a good copy of Pride and Prejudice. Anyone have a good recommendation? When I search I find a million different versions.

Thoroughly enjoyed Rosamund Pike's reading of it. Great book to put on while I get some of the housework done. I've listened to it quite a few times now.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Really enjoyed Audibles reading of Planet of the Apes. Greg Wise did a good job making the voices distinct from each other and didn't butcher the French pronounciations of the French names and terms.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I want to listen to the audiobook of Planet of the Bapes instead

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
If you're into post-apocalyptic I highly recommend Commune (1 & 2). They're read by RC Bray, and are very good, albeit nothing new or groundbreaking. Two is really very excellent, told from the point of view by one of the best characters I have met in a while.

I also really liked The Wife Between Us, which some have said is similar to Gone Girl.

Right now I'm listening to Hell Divers, and after that I'm onto Expeditionary Force (I'm on an RC Bray fueled post-apocalyptic binge, I guess).

I dunno if anyone looked into Audible's 'micro-genres' and wanted something completely different from "Agrarian Fantasy" but I was let down by the selection in that one :/

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Anyone know of any decent "mad scientist/science" fiction? Preferably not isekai/MMO/VR/etc. gaming bullshit YA trash that seems to have taken over Audible's algorithms lately for science-fantasy.

I'd prefer modern day/contemporary, but I guess I'll take a look at whatever ya'll can offer.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mister Facetious posted:

Anyone know of any decent "mad scientist/science" fiction? Preferably not isekai/MMO/VR/etc. gaming bullshit YA trash that seems to have taken over Audible's algorithms lately for science-fantasy.

I'd prefer modern day/contemporary, but I guess I'll take a look at whatever ya'll can offer.

Ancestor by Scott Sigler isn't terrible and I think it's still free as a podcast. It's about genetic engineering gone bad. I listened to it last year at work and it's rough but not bad

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Mister Facetious posted:

Paolo Bacigalupi's Wind Up Girl and such is about bioengineering and gene splicing gone wrong, set like 1-2 hundred years or so into the future when no one can imagine why the gently caress baby boomers and such didn't realize they had it so good.

His stuff should be labeled "realistic and plausible view of the future to the point of depressing" instead of sci-fi though.

tim0mit
Dec 28, 2008
I just listened to children of time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Definitely an interesting mad scientist read.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I was thinking more of the inventor type mad scientist than genetics, to be honest, though I might give Children of Time a try.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
If you want something lighthearted, there's a series of children's books "Please Don't Tell My Parents I'm a Supervillain" is the first one, where the main character is a mad scientist daughter of two superhero parents who accidentally becomes the leader of a supervillain team.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Mister Facetious posted:

Pretty much the entire Atrocity Archives series by Charles Stross goes there starting in the 3rd book, but only because "magic" in that book universe is a result of processing complex math equations rather than Harry Dresden-style magic.

Also John Scalzi's Old Man's War series, but that's centered around Frankenstein style science horror in a future war while everyone is being nihilistic assholes.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I've already got the last two Old Man's War books, though I wouldn't consider them mad science, just sci-fi. I really liked The Human Division. Nice to see human-level politics by the people in the field in galactic sci-fi, rather than the usual grand statecraft, blasters, and ship combat.

Senerio posted:

If you want something lighthearted, there's a series of children's books "Please Don't Tell My Parents I'm a Supervillain" is the first one, where the main character is a mad scientist daughter of two superhero parents who accidentally becomes the leader of a supervillain team.

I have the entire set. :v:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 19, 2018

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

How's Robin Miles as a reader? I see she does all the Broken Earth and Binti books so I assume she must be pretty good.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Mister Facetious posted:

I've already got the last two Old Man's War books, though I wouldn't consider them mad science, just sci-fi. I really liked The Human Division. Nice to see human-level politics by the people in the field in galactic sci-fi, rather than the usual grand statecraft, blasters, and ship combat.

Brains in boxes and cloning with super-powers seems pretty mad science to me.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I apparently scored 3 free credits and need something new. I'm a HUGE William Gibson fan and want something sort of in that vein...recs?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Brains in boxes and cloning with super-powers seems pretty mad science to me.

Enh, it's already set in the future though, so it's just normal future science.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

MockingQuantum posted:

How's Robin Miles as a reader? I see she does all the Broken Earth and Binti books so I assume she must be pretty good.

I've only heard one book she narrated (The Warmth of Other Suns), but she was very good. Even though it's nonfiction she did a good job of giving different people distinct voices. Fiction may be a different story though. I think Audible lets you play samples from anything they offer so I would say try that first.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

EdsTeioh posted:

I apparently scored 3 free credits and need something new. I'm a HUGE William Gibson fan and want something sort of in that vein...recs?

Snow Crash?

java
May 7, 2005

I just finished Philip K Dick’s “A Scanner Darkly” and absolutely loved it. I’ve been going through Dick’s entire catalog, but really like the drugged out nature of A Scanner Darkly. Does anyone have any recommendations for other books in that vein?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

XBenedict posted:

Snow Crash?

Got it; love it. How about Diamond Age?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

EdsTeioh posted:

Got it; love it. How about Diamond Age?

Diamond age is quite good as well.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Mister Facetious posted:

This one is less mad science focused (the only reason I thought of it was because it was a rec because I read "Please Don't Tell My Parents..."), but the primary protagonist of Drew Hayes' "Forging Hepheastus" is a mad scientist in training.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I already bought that one too. :ironicat:

And the D-List Supervillian series.
Jeffrey Kafer is a wonderful narrator.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 20, 2018

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Out of the PKD books, I've never heard anyone mention Martian Time Slip, which is absolutely nuts and fantastic to listen to on a long drive.

I'm pretty sure this is the one I've listened to:
https://www.amazon.com/Martian-Time-Slip/dp/B01CPT0B6Q

It'll fit the bill in terms of near future, high tech low life, nothing makes sense aesthetic of cyberpunk, but don't read anything else about it before jumping in.

mystes
May 31, 2006

poisonpill posted:

Out of the PKD books, I've never heard anyone mention Martian Time Slip, which is absolutely nuts and fantastic to listen to on a long drive.

I'm pretty sure this is the one I've listened to:
https://www.amazon.com/Martian-Time-Slip/dp/B01CPT0B6Q

It'll fit the bill in terms of near future, high tech low life, nothing makes sense aesthetic of cyberpunk, but don't read anything else about it before jumping in.
It seems like that version isn't available on audible right now at least in the US. There's another version by Brilliance Audio though, so i think I'll give that one a shot.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Awesome, let me know what you think of it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
https://slickdeals.net/f/11520087-rejoin-audible-with-a-2-month-free-trial-10-amazon-gift-card-via-audible-website-returning-members-ymmv

Cancelled Audible? Want some books but don't want to commit to a monthly sub again? Want a 10 dollar gift card on top of that?

Worked for me.

crosspost from a goon who tried it:

Croatoan posted:

Badass. I went and canceled my membership, clicked the link and bam, worked for me.

buglord fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 25, 2018

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
New humble bundle has a bunch of Alfred bester audiobooks, along with other things

humblebundle.com/books

Phone posting and it is refusing to copy the url correctly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

buglord posted:

https://slickdeals.net/f/11520087-rejoin-audible-with-a-2-month-free-trial-10-amazon-gift-card-via-audible-website-returning-members-ymmv

Cancelled Audible? Want some books but don't want to commit to a monthly sub again? Want a 10 dollar gift card on top of that?

Worked for me.

crosspost from a goon who tried it:

Didn't work for me, though I'm in Canada.

Oh well, since I'm being offered a free credit anyway, I grabbed 'To Beat the Devil' by M.K. Gibson.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 25, 2018