Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

My wife and I decided, in the interest of having fun, that if a questline closed some missions that we could have done first, we can just...go do them, gently caress it. Scenarios are the main content in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

silvergoose posted:

My wife and I decided, in the interest of having fun, that if a questline closed some missions that we could have done first, we can just...go do them, gently caress it. Scenarios are the main content in the game.

I'm thinking about doing that as well. My group has a ton of fun with the scenarios but their eyes glaze over whole i read most of the story lines.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

silvergoose posted:

We've been doing this, because we aren't going to do a second playthrough, but we do want to see all the content.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

OgreNoah posted:

We've been doing this, because we aren't going to do a second playthrough, but we do want to see all the content.

We probably are going to do a second, and maybe a third, but still, gotta have fun. And utilize our time wisely.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

silvergoose posted:

We probably are going to do a second, and maybe a third, but still, gotta have fun. And utilize our time wisely.

I like the idea, but my only concern with this is that it sometimes might make it too easy to complete personal quests. One of my group members wants to do 31 and 32, e.g., which are now sealed off (I think his personal quest is to do missions in Gloomhaven).

On the other hand, -not- doing them might it make it too difficult.

:thunk:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Can you do locked off quests in casual mode? Because I'm pretty sure completing scenarios in casual mode counts for personal goals.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Can you do locked off quests in casual mode? Because I'm pretty sure completing scenarios in casual mode counts for personal goals.

No, but yeah completing scenarios in casual mode totally counts for personal goals.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

silvergoose posted:

My only real issue with this is that even with some closed-off scenarios, there's tons of scenarios in the game. There's no need to play the closed-off ones until I've exhausted all the non-closed-off ones, and that prospect seems distant currently.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gort posted:

My only real issue with this is that even with some closed-off scenarios, there's tons of scenarios in the game. There's no need to play the closed-off ones until I've exhausted all the non-closed-off ones, and that prospect seems distant currently.

yeah well, we were playing 2-3 a night for a solid couple months, so even with replaying stuff in casual, we're pretty far into the game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

silvergoose posted:

yeah well, we were playing 2-3 a night for a solid couple months, so even with replaying stuff in casual, we're pretty far into the game.

That's awesome. I wish I could do that - I get a couple of scenarios a weekend if I'm lucky.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gort posted:

That's awesome. I wish I could do that - I get a couple of scenarios a weekend if I'm lucky.

Yeah the difference in play style and speed between 2 people who can play when the kiddo goes to bed vs 4 people who need to schedule once every week or two is staggering to say the least. Wholly different experience in my mind, just having heard about the latter (and knowing how it works from pandemic season 1 and 2 and charterstone).

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
We might be playing with 5 players tonight. We already use gloomycompanion and dice on standees so hopefully it won't go too slow.

Anyone tried it and have any advice? Planning on running it four player with +2 difficulty.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
I have a question for the Music Note.

do your songs affect you or are you excluded? Specifically Defensive Ditty says "Shield 1, affect all allies." I don't want to soak any hits but just curious. Does the wording matter? Likewise, Tuning the Outcome says "Bless. Affect all adjacent allies." Does this also include me? Thanks and God bless

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
In general, things that affect allies, don't affect you.

If a thing has a range (e.g. heal 2 range 2) it can affect you.

If it says 'affects allies at range blah' e.g. all adjacent allies, you're excluded.

If it says 'self and x adjacent allies' you're obviously included.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Ask Me For Warez posted:

I have a question for the Music Note.

do your songs affect you or are you excluded? Specifically Defensive Ditty says "Shield 1, affect all allies." I don't want to soak any hits but just curious. Does the wording matter? Likewise, Tuning the Outcome says "Bless. Affect all adjacent allies." Does this also include me? Thanks and God bless

There's a faq answer: "you are not your own ally."

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

silvergoose posted:

Yeah the difference in play style and speed between 2 people who can play when the kiddo goes to bed vs 4 people who need to schedule once every week or two is staggering to say the least. Wholly different experience in my mind, just having heard about the latter (and knowing how it works from pandemic season 1 and 2 and charterstone).

I got the game on 1/18. Tried to play with my 3 friends on 1/29, but one could only be there to pick characters and setup campaign. We planned to play during Super Bowl but that fell apart. Hopefully we can play on 2/12 but after that the next available day is 3/2. That's potentially kicking off the game a month and a half after getting it. Plan is to hopefully play every other Saturday night though. One dude is newly a cop and works night shifts 2 nights on, 2 off, 3 on, 3 off, repeat. Another works 7a-5p Friday-Mon.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 5, 2018

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Eclipse/Moon solo mission: I just beat it without drawing a single modifier card or taking any damage. This class is amazing once you have the requisite items.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Hail or whoever keeps talking about a rift or something, but we sealed the rift like two quests before we unlocked The Power of Enhancement, by killing the demon lord guy. Did we goof on the quest sequence? Something seems weird and out of order. We also have a whole bunch of quests which require "The Rift Sealed" be -incomplete- but we only had a tiny window to complete them before we smashed the demon guy in the face.

Did we screw up?

No. There are at least three quest chains. The first is doing what you did and diving straight through and punching the demon lord. The second is doing what we did, deciding it was over our level, and fetching help. And the third involves helping whatever's behind the rift. Any one locks off the other two

neonchameleon fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 6, 2018

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

KPC_Mammon posted:

Eclipse/Moon solo mission: I just beat it without drawing a single modifier card or taking any damage. This class is amazing once you have the requisite items.

I really wanna do some solo missions. But the set is not at my house and when I'm at the mate's house where it is, I'm better off doing group ones.

I want a GLoomhaven vassal mod already.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Afriscipio posted:

There's a faq answer: "you are not your own ally."

The most brutally honest statement ever to grace a faq.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Did I miss something again, or is scenario 13 basically a PC kill floor? I'm pretty sure it's looking for a pretty specific strategy where you lock down one or both of the elites with a series of CCs while abusing the living spirits' low health through true damage or piercing, but I can't seem to do both at the same time. I assume it's a matter of poor execution on my part, but did anyone find a better way to handle it?

Simply ignoring the golems works great, by the way, if you were wondering, right up until it doesn't anymore. They'll be trundling slowly across the map like dumb beetles, and then they'll draw their ranged attack and you take 10 damage and another 6 from the trap they drag you across. That's what happened just now. It was kind of cool, actually. Hell of a way to go.

gently caress this, I'm going to retire these clowns and play through #13 later with somebody else.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That was one of my first missions with Moon, the instakill normal enemies was really useful for taking out high-health enemies.

We didn't have too much trouble. We handled the golems pretty easily (just make sure to keep the elites controlled while you work on their health), then if you just open the door and step back (or have your door opener invis) everything groups up really nicely trying to get to you. It's a really short scenario so then you can just go ham with the loss cards to burn everything down.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
For my party's first unlock I just unlocked Angry face(helmet)? and holy poo poo this character seems broken. Do two damage per turn guaranteed to any enemy on the map? Permanent advantage against the enemy of my choosing? Even the name is OP. I feel like I'm gonna be blazing through missions with this guy and my fiancee's cragheart. Am I missing something or is this an incredibly powerful character? Or are all the unlockable characters like this?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

zimbomonkey posted:

For my party's first unlock I just unlocked Angry face(helmet)? and holy poo poo this character seems broken. Do two damage per turn guaranteed to any enemy on the map? Permanent advantage against the enemy of my choosing? Even the name is OP. I feel like I'm gonna be blazing through missions with this guy and my fiancee's cragheart. Am I missing something or is this an incredibly powerful character? Or are all the unlockable characters like this?
He's real good and fun! The only real downside is that he doesn't have great aoe, but his single target damage is fantastic and very consistent.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just reread the monster movement rules and I'm thinking they might be really, really stupid when it come to healing, more stupid than I was assuming before. This seems ridiculous, so can someone check my understanding?

It looks like if a monster has movement but no attacks, they'll move toward a PC as if they could do a melee attack, and then do whatever non-attack move they have prepared. So if they have movement and a ranged heal, they'll run up to you, sit in your lap or whatever, and cast healing on whoever they can reach. They'll do this even if the only monster that needs a heal will be out of range when the healer runs up, and of course it won't matter that healers tend to be the exact kind of monster that doesn't want to be sitting in your lap when it's your turn.

For instance, right now I'm looking at five forest imps that want to fly over, surround my dudes, heal each other (except there's nothing to heal), and then it'll be my turn and I'm going to blow them all up. Is that really intended?

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
Yes, that’s intended.

:getin:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

How do you know that's intended?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Because the rules straight up say that's how it works and the designer has repeatedly confirmed it.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1F5YcJz4sY8tVP86cH6MS2x4np98RcPXGEM-E6CoNU1g/edit

This is a great flowchart that covers the above.

I get it, sometimes you feel like it’s too easy but there’s a balance between competent AI and AI that can be followed through for a move in less than 30 minutes. Sometimes you end up with wonky instances like the above - the game is balanced around it and if you think it’s too easy, knock it up a notch.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Tendales posted:

Because the rules straight up say that's how it works and the designer has repeatedly confirmed it.

Got a link to the designer part? (I guess my interest is more in why that's intended rather than if)

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I don't think I've seen him explicitly say WHY it's like that. I can guess, though. The rule working this way means that a) Monsters behave more predictably, which is important for how tactical the game is and b) keeps the monsters from just loving off and walking away, which is important for how strict the time limit is.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

million dollar mack posted:

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1F5YcJz4sY8tVP86cH6MS2x4np98RcPXGEM-E6CoNU1g/edit

This is a great flowchart that covers the above.

I get it, sometimes you feel like it’s too easy but there’s a balance between competent AI and AI that can be followed through for a move in less than 30 minutes. Sometimes you end up with wonky instances like the above - the game is balanced around it and if you think it’s too easy, knock it up a notch.

that is super useful, it's not laid out in a great way in the manual.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

zimbomonkey posted:

My wife loving loves angry gritty helmet face so much. She calls him hawkeye and goes pew pew arrows pew pew when we play. Her favorite, even more than her first Craggy and her second, Sun.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

KPC_Mammon posted:

What are the items? I just unlocked it and was having a bit of trouble actually doing things.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I think I messed up a scenario. What is the rule with spawned monsters? If the spot that they are supposed to spawn in is occupied do they not spawn? Or do they spawn in the closest available spot?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Any suggestion for how to play this as a one-off session and not as a campaign? I'm visiting my brother for a few days and we want to re-live our HeroQuest days. Note I have not been able to play my copy at all besides looking at it and setting it up and pretending I have the time to devote to boring solo sessions.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

There is the kickstarter campaign as well as random dungeons perhaps?

Link to the Kickstarter campaign:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0YhWyVTbs9mWjJXTFgtVktRY0U/view

If you play that one ignore the choices at the end of the scenarios. Issac made these during the Kickstarter run and he let the backers decide and made the follow up scenerios depending on their choices.

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 6, 2018

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

ShaneB posted:

Any suggestion for how to play this as a one-off session and not as a campaign? I'm visiting my brother for a few days and we want to re-live our HeroQuest days. Note I have not been able to play my copy at all besides looking at it and setting it up and pretending I have the time to devote to boring solo sessions.

It's my impression that the random dungeon decks were pretty much made for this (and out of campaign grinding I guess).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

This is the perfect game to recreate the old heroquest days because it has the same feel but replaces the nostalgia factor with a better game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

OgreNoah posted:

What are the items? I just unlocked it and was having a bit of trouble actually doing things.

Wand of Darkness
Invisibility Cloak
Minor Stamina Potion
Major Stamina Potion
Minor Mana Potion (to kill one of the elites)

I have a build that heavily focuses heavily in turning invisible. It really helps to long rest while invisible and then go as fast as possible next turn to recloak