Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Uranium 235 posted:

CFTC chairman says they are monitoring spot markets and have begun cracking down on manipulators and fraudsters

Great for bitcoin. It’s going up, Up, UP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lote posted:

Great for bitcoin. It’s going up, Up, UP!

the river?

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Trig Discipline posted:

oh good it's back over 7k again, the price has finally stabilized and it's now going to be a sound investment

I'm going to buy a lot of bourbon and bitcoin later tonight and watch the matrix!!!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
*rushes in thread as quick as he can*

1. Did anyone make the thread title joke?!
2. Has a bitcoiner said the us economy is crashing BECAUSE bitcoin is crashing, yet?!
3. Surely nobody could have come up with the very original “now’s the time to buy!” joke, right?!

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Uranium 235 posted:

what did you do

bought around 600, bought more around 900, hosed around and day traded with that for a month or so, and never sold at 1200. cut my losses today. Maybe I'll play again when poo poo stabilizes or a new "it" crypto comes to town.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

i think we hit our temporary low for at least a couple days.... we'll see

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, totally.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

scott zoloft posted:

bought around 600, bought more around 900, hosed around with that for a month or so, and never sold at 1200. cut my losses today. Maybe I'll play again when poo poo stabilizes or a new "it" crypto comes to town.
ah okay i thought you did something today that made you lose 1000

good job unloading your bags without too much loss

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I made a humongous amount of money today, you guys wouldn't believe it. Riding the dip!

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

at the senate they're talking about intrinsic value (lack thereof) of bitcoin, the bubble, the low, and correlations between bitcoin and mining

CFTC chair is sharing that some economists think there's a floor for the value that's related to bitcoin, but he doesn't endorse or disagree with that view, he's just sharing that to answer a question

senator shelby is asking how you put a value on bitcoin

SEC chair answers with the subjective theory of value :shrug:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

jon joe posted:

2. Has a bitcoiner said the us economy is crashing BECAUSE bitcoin is crashing, yet?!
3. Surely nobody could have come up with the very original “now’s the time to buy!” joke, right?!

We already had someone come in here asking if obvious jokes were made yet, so you're also redundant. sorry

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Uranium 235 posted:

ah okay i thought you did something today that made you lose 1000

good job unloading your bags without too much loss

Nah just ended up with a thousand less than what I set aside.

haha yeah I'm patting myself on the back all right. :rolleyes:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Manchild King posted:

*additional edit* I hope nobody wants bitcoiners to actually kill themselves. But I agree some sort of misfortune has to come their way.

I dunno, I watched a baby dear shutting down from hypothermia this morning while drinking a coffee. It was curled up on the side of the road in -30 weather and didn't care about the traffic anymore. Then I got bored and checked to see if bitcoin had crashed more. I could easily replace that deer with a bitcoiner in my mind.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

they're talking about increasing funding/staffing for the SEC so they can improve ability to monitor and enforce securities regulations

really seems like they're moving to enforce applicable laws for ICOs, and they're basically saying that the people who argue the rules don't apply because technically ICOs aren't securities are just wrong

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

CFTC chair: our cryptocurrency task force has brought 3 civil actions against bitcoin fraudsters and there are more to come

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Uranium 235 posted:

CFTC chair: our cryptocurrency task force has brought 3 civil actions against bitcoin fraudsters and there are more to come

The bitcoin fraudsters were the folks propping the whole thing up. :ssh:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Inept posted:

We already had someone come in here asking if obvious jokes were made yet, so you're also redundant. sorry

Introducing: blockchain for jokes

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

jon joe posted:

Introducing: blockchain for jokes

I'm sorry but you didn't provide proof of work so I can't give you credit for that joke.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

CFTC chair on whether it's a commodity or security: it has properties of many different things. it's a medium of exchange, so like a currency, but a lot of problems with this since even bitcoin conferences have stopped accepting it as payment. when used as store of value, it's more like an asset and therefore a commodity. LOL he just said "h o d l" spelled it out like that and said his niece uses that term. he's talking about how that since people want to hold it, it acts like a commodity. highlights again going after fraudsters again so that people like his niece don't get taken advantage of

haha the CFTC chairman said "hodl" in a senate hearing

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Did zaurg really buy into bitcoin

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Zelder posted:

Did zaurg really buy into bitcoin

Yup. With ~3k of his kid's money no less.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Yup. With ~3k of his kid's money no less.

:eyepop: classic zaurg

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Yah I just found the thread. He's like an infinite tragedy machine

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

But $3 a week for school pizza just wasn't in the budget.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/CypherSignal/status/960901193320009728

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Aren't there investors that invest exlusively in volatility indexes like this? I remember reading about a well known one recently. I wonder if he's dead now.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

jon joe posted:

Fat chance. No-one's here could even say 'buttcoin'.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

if the CFTC is monitoring spot markets and saying they are going to go after manipulators then that's a really big deal

SEC and CFTC chair both saying that unregulated markets can be easily manipulated and that a few coordinated orders can significantly change the price

will be interesting to see what the outcome is. CFTC chairman is insisting that more enforcement action is coming, sounds like they already have more targets

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
bitconneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeect!

Law360 posted:

Investors Seek Asset Freeze For BitConnect In Fraud Suit

A proposed class of investors accusing cryptocurrency marketplace BitConnect of being both a pyramid and Ponzi scheme asked a Florida federal court on Monday for an emergency order freezing assets of the now-shuttered trading and lending platform, saying that such a move is necessary to stop their money from being spent or shunted into another scam.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Another brutal day for the airline miles of the future?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Hey guys did anybody come in and ask if anybody came in and asked if the obvious jokes had been done yet yet?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

WhatEvil posted:

Hey guys did anybody come in and ask if anybody came in and asked if the obvious jokes had been done yet yet?

Yes.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
sounds like this "buttcoin" "Bit" off more than it could "chew"

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I'm addicted to price drops like zaurg is addicted to poor financial decisions. When I load up GDAX and the price is up to $7,000 I get bored easily and lose all interest in butts until I see 50 new posts

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

no discussion of tether at the senate hearing today

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

poo poo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
*buys unregulated "anonymous" virtual currency because the government is bad*

*gets taken for a ride*

*begs government for help*

~the future~

Uranium 235 posted:

at the senate they're talking about intrinsic value (lack thereof) of bitcoin, the bubble, the low, and correlations between bitcoin and mining

CFTC chair is sharing that some economists think there's a floor for the value that's related to bitcoin, but he doesn't endorse or disagree with that view, he's just sharing that to answer a question

senator shelby is asking how you put a value on bitcoin

SEC chair answers with the subjective theory of value :shrug:

lmao

senate is filled with a bunch of totally disconnected dickweeds

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

scott zoloft posted:

I lost about 1000 loving with eth for a second go around lol whoops

Does this mean no more iceland pics for a while :smith:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Womp womp. Hit a wall at 7400 and is now back to 6900.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol if you thought the senate would have a competent discussion about bitcoin