Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

It's a useful instrument and still present on songs, there just aren't GUITAR GODS on every radio station right now and thats alright
It's because we've been looking at the wrong place all this time. Misha Mansoor? Tosin Abasi? Ola Englund? Who gives a gently caress about those nerdlingers! Taylor Swift is where it's at!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wark Say posted:

It's because we've been looking at the wrong place all this time. Misha Mansoor? Tosin Abasi? Ola Englund? Who gives a gently caress about those nerdlingers! Taylor Swift is where it's at!
This is the best headline :golfclap:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

dex_sda posted:

I think it's true that fewer people pick up guitar these days, but yes, it's not going anywhere.

i don't know that that first part is necessarily true

the overall guitar market's shrinking but it's concentrated in the overpriced harley-davidson type boomer segment, while the budget end has grown a ton which would indicate more beginners picking it up. also a big part of the drop in sales came during the recession when pretty much all luxury spending took a hit

the same percentage of people who stick with it's probably the same because at the end of the day it takes time and consistency to get to where you're actually playing something

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The one thing I'm glad is that, for however many whine that "the guitar is dead :qq:" and poo poo like that, for as little as... I dunno, 400 dollars? Or something like that, you can get a Korean-made Agile / Indonesian-made LTD which will, 9 times out of 10, hold up for you. I mean, sure, you're probably gonna want to spend at least 200 bucks in putting locking tuners / different pickups at some point, but still! And if you save up like 800 bucks, you can get an LTD's with locking tuners AND SD / EMG pickups or hell, even with an Evertune if it's a limited-edition kinda dealie!

The other guitar player in my (sorta) post-rock band has like at least half-a-dozen expensive guitars and whatnot (we're talking an Aristides 7-string, a Maryland-made PRS Custom 24 and a Mayones 8 string, to name the 3 I can recall off the bat), but for live / recording situations? She uses an LTD Eclipse that came with an Evertune bridge and a Gretsch from the Fall Out Boy dude that I helped her with installing locking-tuners. I myself mainly use a 28.5 Inch Scale Agile Baritone, which I've taken to tune similarly to what Steph from the Deftones would use in a 6 string (F♯-C♯-F♯-B-D♯-G♯). I got it for 350 dollars.

That is loving nuts. In the best way. :dance:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i dunno in the case of agile their stock pickups are actually pretty decent and they use grover tuners

sucks about the labor conditions in the korean factories though

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Wark Say posted:

the comments are a nightmare zone

but you probably knew that

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i dunno in the case of agile their stock pickups are actually pretty decent and they use grover tuners

sucks about the labor conditions in the korean factories though
They totally are! Had mine for 5 months now and the only new thing I've gotten was a new nut (previous one got slightly damaged).

On the second thing, aren't improved labor conditions on SK-factories the reason the main overseas companies (like Cort and WMIC) moved most of their operations to Indonesia or China and whatnot? I mean, it's what I've heard from the Know your Gear guy, so grain of salt and such.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wark Say posted:

They totally are! Had mine for 5 months now and the only new thing I've gotten was a new nut (previous one got slightly damaged).

i got one of these last year and was planning on spending almost as much as i paid for the guitar on a duncan distortion/jazz set then i saw this comparison video and got a set of cepheus passives off reverb for like $40. no regrets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRgJ5GtZXGY

quote:

On the second thing, aren't improved labor conditions on SK-factories the reason the main overseas companies (like Cort and WMIC) moved most of their operations to Indonesia or China and whatnot? I mean, it's what I've heard from the Know your Gear guy, so grain of salt and such.

it was cor-tek workers starting to protest and unionize, but yeah

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Wark Say posted:

It's a surprisingly good article with a very clickbaity headline

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

While we don't own any name-brand headliner guitars, we own a lot of the foreign-built budget edition guitars, and I'll take them any day over a Gibson or Fender that cost 10 times as much (or more). I haven't played a Les Paul that appreciably beats out my Epi. My Squier II strat has a better neck then almost any American Standard I've played. Our PRS SE is ridiculously close to a "real" one. The Squier Jag Bass is a really fuckin' good rock bass.

"Budget" guitars are great and I hope that people in general continue to catch on. (Not bluesdad/dentist collector-types, though. Drain them for all they have.)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Wark Say posted:

The one thing I'm glad is that, for however many whine that "the guitar is dead :qq:" and poo poo like that, for as little as... I dunno, 400 dollars? Or something like that, you can get a Korean-made Agile / Indonesian-made LTD which will, 9 times out of 10, hold up for you. I mean, sure, you're probably gonna want to spend at least 200 bucks in putting locking tuners / different pickups at some point, but still! And if you save up like 800 bucks, you can get an LTD's with locking tuners AND SD / EMG pickups or hell, even with an Evertune if it's a limited-edition kinda dealie!

The other guitar player in my (sorta) post-rock band has like at least half-a-dozen expensive guitars and whatnot (we're talking an Aristides 7-string, a Maryland-made PRS Custom 24 and a Mayones 8 string, to name the 3 I can recall off the bat), but for live / recording situations? She uses an LTD Eclipse that came with an Evertune bridge and a Gretsch from the Fall Out Boy dude that I helped her with installing locking-tuners. I myself mainly use a 28.5 Inch Scale Agile Baritone, which I've taken to tune similarly to what Steph from the Deftones would use in a 6 string (F♯-C♯-F♯-B-D♯-G♯). I got it for 350 dollars.

That is loving nuts. In the best way. :dance:

I will spend serious money on an acoustic or classical guitar, but I never have and never will throw down serious coin on an electric. Past the $500-ish mark on the used market, I have never found a high-end electric that I thought was worth the extra money.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

$1,500 is my reasonable limit. I would go higher for custom but that’s it at this point. I’ve been let down too much at the higher end of pricing even if there’s a ton of quality around at that level.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

I will spend serious money on an acoustic or classical guitar, but I never have and never will throw down serious coin on an electric. Past the $500-ish mark on the used market, I have never found a high-end electric that I thought was worth the extra money.

:same:

By 500$ a guitar feels good, plays good, and sounds good out of the output. Then it's all in the amp. An acoustic/classical is the entire instrument, by contrast.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Shugojin posted:

It's a surprisingly good article with a very clickbaity headline

Anecdotally, I have seen this exact thing. My wife's cousin has two daughters aged 7 and 9 and we just took them to Guitar Center to help them pick out guitars because they want to start playing like Taylor Swift. Say what you want about her music, but if she is making young girls interested in playing guitar, that is undeniably a good thing.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

MrSargent posted:

Anecdotally, I have seen this exact thing. My wife's cousin has two daughters aged 7 and 9 and we just took them to Guitar Center to help them pick out guitars because they want to start playing like Taylor Swift. Say what you want about her music, but if she is making young girls interested in playing guitar, that is undeniably a good thing.

I hope you did what every good second uncle would do and led them towards the Jackson and ESP/LTD section of the store.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

dex_sda posted:

By 500$ a guitar feels good, plays good, and sounds good out of the output. Then it's all in the amp. An acoustic/classical is the entire instrument, by contrast.

Yeah exactly.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Trig Discipline posted:

I have yet to break 4 digits on an electric guitar, and probably never will (as much as I'd like a Suhr Modern). Like if I get to that point where I've got $2k+ to blow on guitar stuff, I'm probably going to get a Squier JMJM (which still has the nicest neck I've ever felt on a FMIC product), a Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas, and some pedals.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

dex_sda posted:

Just curious, are the current wave of budget amps as good as budget guitars? I've only tinkered around on a boss katana 1x12 for a few minutes and it sounded pretty decent but how does the head sound when hooked up to a decent cabinet? IE can you make a pretty drat effective travel rig for like $800 tops?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I hope you did what every good second uncle would do and led them towards the Jackson and ESP/LTD section of the store.

I mean, we played just about every instrument in Guitar Center haha. I slipped away for a second to look at some pedals and after a few minutes I heard someone just start wailing randomly on the drums as my wife walked over and said, "Guess where the girls are again?" After replying with "The Drum Room", a few people around us started laughing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbMVkXnyJYY

Switchfoot is still around?! They weren't meant to live for THIS LONG!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
who the hell are those guys i thought that was the band with sammy hagar and joe satriani that nobody listens to

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

who the hell are those guys i thought that was the band with sammy hagar and joe satriani that nobody listens to
They had a smash hit alt rock single that was huge on the radio in like 2003 but then they kind of disappeared after that, or at least I never heard about them again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXcrEVFZOXs

And the band you're thinking of is Chickenfoot hahaha

e: Okay this one was pretty big too, but around the same exact time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Gvdgs_R1c

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 5, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Chickenfoot? (Satch, Hagar, Michael Anthony and Will Ferrell Chad Smith).

Man, it still surprises me the number of bands who still released stuff after the 2003-2006 period (what I like to call "The Myspace Era"). These Switchfoot guys are among those. Out of the whole "Summer of Screamo" bands, there were maybe... 10 good bands?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wark Say posted:

Chickenfoot? (Satch, Hagar, Michael Anthony and Will Ferrell Chad Smith).

Man, it still surprises me the number of bands who still released stuff after the 2003-2006 period (what I like to call "The Myspace Era"). These Switchfoot guys are among those. Out of the whole "Summer of Screamo" bands, there were maybe... 10 good bands?
I saw on Facebook the other night that one of my friends drove an hour away to see Avenged Sevenfold, Breaking Benjamin and Bullet for my Valentine. It's been a solid 12 years at least since those bands were at the height of their popularity, right? And they weren't even good then, just popular. I guess they'll always have a market, though.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i think you guys are confusing them with the classic rock band that did that train train song with the harmonica solo at the beginning

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I saw on Facebook the other night that one of my friends drove an hour away to see Avenged Sevenfold, Breaking Benjamin and Bullet for my Valentine. It's been a solid 12 years at least since those bands were at the height of their popularity, right? And they weren't even good then, just popular. I guess they'll always have a market, though.
Yeah, they all have/had an edge/gimmick/funny thing going on which kinda fills a niche.
  • Avenged Sevenfold were basically playing second fiddle to all the Metalcore bands from the Massachusetts/Connecticut area (All that Remains, Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Hatebreed, etc) pretty much because they were always starting poo poo with OC bands, then M. Shadows thought he could start pretending to be Axl Rose and the guitar dude decided he needed to be like the weirdest wank-guitarist ever so they switched to play "Hard Rock", unaware that the only band who has done the Metalcore / Hard rock fusion/switch even remotely well was Every Time I Die. And now that Axl, Slash and Duff are together trying to get stupid amounts of money, I wonder if they started to feel a little redundant and went back to trying to play Metalcore / "Thrash".
  • Breaking Benjamin's singer actually has(had? haven't heard them in a while) a decent voice, even if they're 2-steps away from playing Nu-metal. Aside from early and post-2009 Chevelle, they're probably the one "Tool-lite" band I don't hate as much.
  • When I first heard of Bullet for My Valentine sounded like a metalcore, slightly less lovely lostprophets, and the only reason I ever even gave lostprophets the time of day was because they kinda reminded me of Glassjaw, so no thanks. I mean, I guess their second record was alright, but that came out in 2008 or 2009.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

for the radio rock audience their world effectively ended sometime around 2006 and they've remained in temporal stasis ever since

pretty sure they're the remaining holdouts still buying cds

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I think a lot of bands that were popular in the early 2000s have been doing high school nostalgia tours the last couple years for the 30+ year old millennial market. Or maybe that's how the cycle has always worked.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That entire era of hard rock/radio rock is absolutely huge right now. It gets tossed into the classic rock mix and is very popular around here. Those bands are always the ones being promoted by local rock radio and whatnot.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Find some guys hanging drywall and you'll hear all these bands all day every day

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I wonder what the nu-metal version of Winery Dogs or Chickenfoot will be in 20 years.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CheesyDog posted:

Find some guys hanging drywall and you'll hear all these bands all day every day

usually i hear norteno but ymmv

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

pretty sure they're the remaining holdouts still buying cds
Not from Best Buy for much longer though! :haw:

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Trig Discipline posted:

I generally agree, but a friend of mine had a Les Paul Classic Goldtop that was the nicest electric guitar I've ever played, by far. Amazing sound, silky-smooth playability. It made me feel like a way better guitarist the couple times I got to play it.

I'd be willing to put down a big chunk of change for an electric, but only if I played it first and it really spoke to me.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I think I found it. The good stupid NAMM video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfyNhfpLLZ4

(actually just posted for the first minute)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"Music industry dumb so wat"

Okay. :geno:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Fred Armisen's new netflix special is pretty much "Stupid Music poo poo" for about an entire hour. You guys should check it out.

Edit: lol I'm watching it now and one of the random crowd shot people was J Mascis

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spanish Manlove posted:

Fred Armisen's new netflix special is pretty much "Stupid Music poo poo" for about an entire hour. You guys should check it out.

Edit: lol I'm watching it now and one of the random crowd shot people was J Mascis

Didn’t know this was a thing, I’ll have to watch. I’m finishing up Portlandia and it’s a goldmine of stupid music poo poo.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Just curious, are the current wave of budget amps as good as budget guitars? I've only tinkered around on a boss katana 1x12 for a few minutes and it sounded pretty decent but how does the head sound when hooked up to a decent cabinet? IE can you make a pretty drat effective travel rig for like $800 tops?

I can't say about the katana but I'm told it's a decent one, with a lot of built in effects = versatile. I can say for sure about my rig - I have a Laney Cub with a few pedals. It cost 400$ in total. It sounds loving great. Anything you want out of a tube amp + a few essential pedals. Good enough for a pub gig, and good enough to feed into the PA for larger stuff.

A modelling amp might not have the ~tubes~ but it'll have the versatility and it'll be cheaper than that. As I've said, I'm told the Katana is incredible for what it is - a 200$ amp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

A vibrating dildo would make a unique sounding slide and all around interesting thing to apply to a guitar Tom Morello style. Especially with active pickups. To the dildo shop...