Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

why the hell are smart bulbs still so expensive? i figured their price would have come down by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
cause they're smart

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they're not tho? i mean those ones are but ikea sells 'em and they're cheap as heck

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

infernal machines posted:

they're not tho? i mean those ones are but ikea sells 'em and they're cheap as heck

Do you mean LED bulbs, or does Ikea sell "beep boop connect my lovely lightbulb to WiFi for app" now?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/categories/departments/lighting/36812/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mrmcd posted:

Do you mean LED bulbs, or does Ikea sell "beep boop connect my lovely lightbulb to WiFi for app" now?

https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/90353361/

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Oh, huh. Well at least one review suggests they might be typical Ikea garbage so maybe that explains the reduced cost.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

so not actually connect-to-wifi "smart" lights just lights with dinky 433mhz receivers in them, which explains why they're super cheap

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

not that i actually want each individual loving lightbulb i own to individually connect to my fuckin' wifi network though, so w/e

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

433mhz should get better range than WiFi though

at least in regions where that’s an ism band you can use power with...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
you'd think light bulbs of all things would use powerline networking

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

433mhz should get better range than WiFi though

at least in regions where that’s an ism band you can use power with...

in my experience the reliability of the whole thing (especially over distance) super heavily depends on the modulation its using, a lot of them basically just hook up an IR remote control chip to a 433mhz crystal via an RF transistor and that seems particularly fragile in my testing

source: i reverse engineered a bunch of RF remote control switches so I could control them from my own transmitter

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

"connects to wi-fi"

*using only our app
**which needs your contacts list for some reason

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ate all the Oreos posted:

in my experience the reliability of the whole thing (especially over distance) super heavily depends on the modulation its using, a lot of them basically just hook up an IR remote control chip to a 433mhz crystal via an RF transistor and that seems particularly fragile in my testing

source: i reverse engineered a bunch of RF remote control switches so I could control them from my own transmitter

makes sense considering I’m used to sub ghz radios that almost cost the same as the entire light bulb

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

idiots buy smart bulbs, the savvy tech household buys smart switches instead

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Rex-Goliath posted:

why the hell are smart bulbs still so expensive? i figured their price would have come down by now

because fools will still pay a premium for it

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Ikea led bulbs are so epically poo poo. They're all like one narrow spike of red/orange or blue light. Can't take decent photos and they make you look like a weird monster.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

makes sense considering I’m used to sub ghz radios that almost cost the same as the entire light bulb

i was using a CC1101 to transmit at one point and was having a big problem in that as far as i can tell it seemed to be tuned too accurately and the switch I was trying to control needed the giant messy spread out garbage frequencies of the original lovely remote, cuz i could look at it on an SDR and see they were both transmitting smack dab on the same center frequency but mine was a pretty narrow well-controlled transmission and the original remote was like "lol hope you're not using anything within +-2MHz of this cuz that's mine now :downs:"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the only bulb with a shred of intelligence that appeals to me is the philips one that is dimmer compatible and switches from daylight to like 4000k white at lower power levels

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

whoa that's so much money they must be poor now right

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i have all of that money they lost because i shorted the entire stock market

i put all of it into bitcoin.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

more like poopertino lmao

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

is this supposed to make me feel bad for them or should i be laughing

not really getting either tbh

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cat Face Joe posted:

more like poopertino lmao

more like chinartino these days lol

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Cat Face Joe posted:

is this supposed to make me feel bad for them or should i be laughing

not really getting either tbh

You're supposed to secrete extra dopamine.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

wide stance posted:

You're supposed to secrete extra dopamine.

is that supposed to fill me with murderous intent cause that's what im feeling now

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

:thunk:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
the wayward province of cupertino has always been a part of china

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the wayward province of cupertino has always been a part of china

cupertizhou

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

"A good start"

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

"these days" lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i graduated from cupertino high more than 10 years ago and let me tell you...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

uber doubles down on heli-taxis, bell obliges

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/tijmenschep/status/960566672187904000

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

my bitter bi rival posted:

i graduated from cupertino high more than 10 years ago and let me tell you...

assuming trump actually gets it up and running, the next census results there should be hilarious

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ha ha that sure is a funny joke app someone made as a funny joke for joke times

:ohdear:

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

when i try to use that it just deletes my facebook

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

report parasite get priority in food line

all comrades must work together

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

crabrock posted:

when i try to use that it just deletes my facebook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

haveblue posted:

you'd think light bulbs of all things would use powerline networking

powerline modems are relatively expensive and complex to embed compared to a zig bee radio or some other poo poo