Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weedle
May 31, 2006

YouTube “personalities” were a mistake. YouTube should be a repository of funny scenes from movies and clips of people falling down in public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Lodin posted:

When James Stanton was a kid he was heavily bullied.

Imagine the look of surprise on my face. I always thought he looked like The Penguin and if that's adult Jim, he must have looked like Humpty Dumpty (the egg, not the cannon) during adolescence. I actually thought he had died because I haven't seen a JIMQUISITION video linked in years. Still, he has his own echo chamber so more power to him.

Has Nintendo mentioned anything about chat/groups with the Switch or are they going all-in on the phone apps?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Weedle posted:

YouTube “personalities” were a mistake. YouTube should be a repository of funny scenes from movies and clips of people falling down in public.

Don't u dare take away my top ten anime betrayals

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Flubby posted:

That was me complaining, but it's a very small issue. I just wish taking part in it was optional. No one seems to agree so I'm probably an odd one out. I'm ok with being wrong. And to be fair I'm not far into Odyssey and the motion shrines in BotW was like, 4 out of 120.

You're not alone. Or wrong for having an opinion. :wtc: I thought the controls in Odyssey were silly in that they were obviously designed around split joy cons even when there were repetitive buttons on the controller that could have been remapped. I too hated the motion control shrines in Zelda because they weren't easy and I spent way too much time twisting the right joy con just right...and it didn't move things on screen in an intuitive way so it was just more of a pain in the rear end than fun.

That said, Zelda was awesome, and mario was pretty ok (But I still haven't gone back, and probably won't, after ~500 moons).

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I just cleared Odyssey's Darker Side today and I feel extremely fulfilled as a person for finishing what is more or less the core game, but I'm also very happy that I have 300+ remaining moons to return to from time to time.

Luigi's balloon thing is also still coming out this month, isn't it?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Kins posted:

If I may distract you all from discussing how much you like or hate Other TotalBiscuit for a second, DigitalFoundry threw up a quick first-glance analysis of the Bayonetta 2 Switch Port.

Long story short, the graphics and resolution (720p) are pretty much the same as the Wii U version in both docked and handheld modes, but it performs better framerate-wise than the original. Also, you know, portable. So, better than the Wii U version, but don't expect 1080p docked or redone assets or whatever.

game always looked great to begin with so even more stable framerate is all I need to hear. Bayo1 hopefully more consistent as well.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
I finished Shovel Knight last night and immediately started a game in both Spectre of Torment and Plague of whatever.

Spectre of Torment owns. not sure I'm digging the Plague Knight campaign. Heh, dig.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Some people like the plague Knight campaign but they are wrong.

Yay, you can jump across the screen real fast, here's a lovely weapon and lovely health system for you. Don't worry you can customize the weapon. But all the versions of it are annoying to use in practice.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bloodplay it again posted:

Imagine the look of surprise on my face. I always thought he looked like The Penguin and if that's adult Jim, he must have looked like Humpty Dumpty (the egg, not the cannon) during adolescence. I actually thought he had died because I haven't seen a JIMQUISITION video linked in years. Still, he has his own echo chamber so more power to him.
Just look at the guy, he's happy as a clam and it's glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uurcW_FTHuk

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Weedle posted:

Youtube personalities aren't terrible as long as A. the videos are about content, not the people in front of the camera (this is Techmoan, the Hydraulic Press couple and Adam Neeley) or B. They're a made up/exaggerated persona that you don't actually see, just hear (Dunkey, Killian, Yahtzee).

It's the screeching idiots that place themselves in front of the camera and rely on controversy, not content, that are garbage. Jim Sterling, PewDiePie, the Pauls, gently caress them all.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Plague knights campaign is the best of the 3

Shadow of torment is lame

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

lelandjs posted:

Youtube personalities aren't terrible as long as A. They're an accurate representation of the actual person AND the actual person isn't a shithead (this is Techmoan, the Hydraulic Press couple and Adam Neeley) or B. They're a made up/exaggerated persona that you don't actually see, just hear (Dunkey, Killian, Yahtzee).

It's the screeching idiots that place themselves in front of the camera and rely on controversy, not content, that are garbage. Jim Sterling, PewDiePie, the Logans, gently caress them all.

Sterling doesn't rely on controversy over content. His videos are full of content, research, and writing. They are also sometimes controversial, but they do not rely on that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Uh I mean, Jim Sterling gets a lot of mileage out of gem devs being idiots to him I guess but I wouldn't put him in the same category as Pewdiepie.

I like Jim Sterling though so :shrug: Some of you guys get really crazy whenever he's brought up. Plus he's the world's only true Nintendo fan so

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Some people like the plague Knight campaign but they are wrong.

Yay, you can jump across the screen real fast, here's a lovely weapon and lovely health system for you. Don't worry you can customize the weapon. But all the versions of it are annoying to use in practice.

The lob seemed useful in theory. "Hey, it'll be like the axe in Castlevania."

I was wrong. I was so wrong.

How the gently caress does the health work as Plague Knight? Am I supposed to just down a bunch of tonics when I think I'm going to have a tough fight?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I watch Spawn Wave because the dude delivers straight news and analysis without an ounce of hot takes. He seems like the most objective guy and his analysis and knowledge are pretty insightful.

I also watch Arlo because he's fun. If you had told me when I was younger that I'd be a 33 year old father watching a muppet analyze video games on the internet, I might have blown my brains out.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

Nobody was "hostile" lol, your post was bad.

I mean I will admit it was a bad post, I can see that now. But calling me a loving tool rather than ignoring the bad post or calmly explaining why it is bad is definitely hostility.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Arlo is too whiny "This game is different! And being different from the previous one is bad!"

He literally has a video titled "Nintendo is Hurting Me"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Sterling doesn't rely on controversy over content. His videos are full of content, research, and writing. They are also sometimes controversial, but they do not rely on that.

The guy wrote an entire essay on a video he didn't watch and fought fantasy sterling

He's not sane, don't talk to him

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Everyone who posts in this thread is wrong and also an idiot.

In other news, I gave up waiting on Nintendo to sell me things and started playing FF6 on my hacked Wii. I've gotten to TEOTW at least a half dozen times in my life. Maybe this time I'll beat the game!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Will Rabbids follow the Ubisoft discount pattern in or the Nintendo discount pattern?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
When do people find the time to watch YouTube personalities? Serious question, not rhetorical. Do you just listen to them like podcasts or do you actually watch the videos?

Unrelated but I've fallen back down the Skyrim hole on Switch and even modless it's so nice to have portable Skyrim with gyro bow aiming. I think I might actually finish the main quest for the first time ever.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

When do people find the time to watch YouTube personalities? Serious question, not rhetorical. Do you just listen to them like podcasts or do you actually watch the videos?

Unrelated but I've fallen back down the Skyrim hole on Switch and even modless it's so nice to have portable Skyrim with gyro bow aiming. I think I might actually finish the main quest for the first time ever.

My wife is about to be out of the country for 3 weeks, and I'm basically gonna be glued to Switch Skyrim for the entire duration. Taking ideas for builds itt

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

I usually watch them as soon as I get home from work while I'm changing and feeding the kid. Also, the Switch being portable often means I can put a video on the TV or on my phone while I play a game. They're like 5-10 minutes. It's not a huge time commitment.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
For real gyro aiming is so fun (to me at least) that an archery build is where I'd start but I feel like that's the most common place people start. Maybe 2-handed with exclusively motion control combat? :v:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My wife is about to be out of the country for 3 weeks, and I'm basically gonna be glued to Switch Skyrim for the entire duration. Taking ideas for builds itt

stealth archer

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

people legit donate like thousands of dollars to twitch personalities to fill the void of their life, I imagine it's the same with people who watch pewdiepie and the others

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

If crossbow motion controls are the same as regular bow motion controls then I'm totally gonna do a crossbow 2-hand axe build. I still haven't played the expansions.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I don't watch TV anymore, and haven't for a few years. While I don't track specific Youtube "personalities," I do watch a few channels regularly on my subscription feed. BigClive, AvE, the 8-bit guy, etc. A few times a week when I get home I'll click my Youtube bookmark button that takes me directly to my subscription page and watch a few 10-40 minute videos in a row. Here's the first four videos in my subscription feed:

You can't see the timestamp on the first video, but that's 55 minutes of content, in four videos, that are exactly the topics I am interested in. I can spend an hour while eating dinner or doing some 3D modeling or even while playing a video game on the second monitor, and get specific, ad-free (with an adblocker) content directly to my brain. Or, I could watch TV and get 42 minutes of content interspersed with 18 minutes of commercials in the same hour, and the content itself will be padded for time and generally less-applicable to me.

Asking "when do people find the time to watch Youtube" nowadays is exactly the same as asking someone in the 50s-80s "when do people find the time to watch TV?" They're exchangeable. I don't follow the person, I follow the channels that interest me.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I watch YouTube during downtime at work and on evenings when there's nothing particularly interesting on TV. Usually it's videos of people doing stuff, like forging knives or talking about/demonstrating music theory or crushing things with hydraulic presses. Used to be that public access TV had stuff like that, but anyone can put videos on YouTube.

Monk E
May 19, 2009

This is a thread devoted to talking about an expensive new video game system chances are most people here are at the very least well off enough both time and moneywise to spend 10 minutes watching a video.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SelenicMartian posted:

Will Rabbids follow the Ubisoft discount pattern in or the Nintendo discount pattern?

They've already been on sale more than once so Ubisoft or some in-between but def not AAA Ninty

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
a -145 point drop is not my fetish, I need consistency to these drops to get off proper

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

It depends. If it's a game that I am interested in I will pay attention. If it's just a "new release of the week first impression" type stuff I will typically just throw it on and listen with wireless headphones as I do chores.

quote:

Same, I have like 50 hours so far and I've yet to visit 4 of the cities and do any of the main questline stuff. Just walking around, exploring caves and tombs and killing stuff. It's been great so far.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

lelandjs posted:

It's the screeching idiots that place themselves in front of the camera and rely on controversy, not content, that are garbage. Jim Sterling, PewDiePie, the Pauls, gently caress them all.

Or the people who who rely on just screeching, quick cuts and nothing of any sort of value. I present; 20 million views of two brothers yelling while making shaped pancakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcdLF6XQ0iw

Edit: Oh and gently caress click bait thumbnails

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I've gotten back into the Binding of Isaac hole and this is an amazing game to play on the go.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I played FO:NV and FO4 pretty much back to back two years ago and I got burnt out on the Bethesda formula. Now, after taking some time off, it's nice to go back and be able to enjoy Skyrim, and I think portability had made a big difference in that.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

cage-free egghead posted:

Or the people who who rely on just screeching, quick cuts and nothing of any sort of value. I present; 20 million views of two brothers yelling while making shaped pancakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcdLF6XQ0iw

Edit: Oh and gently caress click bait thumbnails

Yeeesh.

But there is good stuff on YouTube, it's just a little hard to find. Once you do, though, the algorithm figures out what you like and stops recommending stupid stuff (mostly, at least). Subscribing to good channels helps too.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of Jim, his compatriot Laura Dale just put up a story on Kotaku UK (it's not half as bad as the US one and owned by a different company) where she compares exclusives on the 3 current consoles. Needless to say the conclusion is that the PS4 has more unique and great games but the Switch is quickly catching up in just a year. Meanwhile the Bones state is just sad.
Shots fired and all that.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/02/06/which-console-has-the-best-exclusives

Lodin fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 6, 2018

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I just got a Switch. Mario and MK8 are cool and my wife is having fun playing games for the first time in a long time.

Is Puyo Puyo Tetris worth it past the demo's functionality? Namely, does anybody know if the full version has colorblind-friendly skins?

Lastly, oh man am I pumped up for this one later this year. Check it out on PC if you haven't yet, it's definitely my favorite of these rogue-lite games:

https://twitter.com/motiontwin/status/956572897820233729

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Taking a long weekend this week for my birthday and i'm gonna spend it playing Celeste and NitW. :dance:

• Locked thread