Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I know what you mean when you say "cup" instead of "glass" or "ground" instead of "floor" but when you start mixing up "curtains" with "blinds" or "chair" with "couch" I don't think I'm being the rear end in a top hat you think I am for getting confused. And no, I don't "know what you mean" because if I had, this wouldn't be a point of discussion. And "shelf" and "table"? You're loving kidding me. Get a vocabulary workbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BioEnchanted posted:

Would I Lie To You is a show where people tell amusing anecdotes and the opposing team needs to question them on them to determine whether the situation really occurred or if they are lying about it. Claudia Winkleman is a master of the game, and Bob Mortimer tells the best stories due to coming up with really funny names for the major players ("Lovely lad, really big head, "Sniper's Dream" we called him").
Claudia Winkleman and Rob Brydon turning up on shows I otherwise like is a really big pet peeve. I love 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown, but every so often one'll come on with David O'Doherty and Claudia Winkleman. Unwatchable.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

On Topic: An actual pet peeve is that sometimes I find weird scratches that I cannot for the life of me figure out where they came from, Phantom Injuries. Although my latest one I just figured out while typing this post- a few days ago while washing my dishes I accidentally grazed my hand with the tines of a fork sticking up in the rack. Mystery Solved.

There's nothing quite like cooking with lemons or limes to reveal these, I have found.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BioEnchanted posted:

On Topic: An actual pet peeve is that sometimes I find weird scratches that I cannot for the life of me figure out where they came from, Phantom Injuries. Although my latest one I just figured out while typing this post- a few days ago while washing my dishes I accidentally grazed my hand with the tines of a fork sticking up in the rack. Mystery Solved.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

This happens to me somewhat frequently where a big scratch will appear on my stomach/legs overnight. The obvious answer is that I scratched myself but sometimes they are deep enough that my tshirt ends up sticking to my skin from the dried blood, which is something I would think would wake me up but apparently not.
Do you have wet cardboard for skin or something?

Sunswipe posted:

Claudia Winkleman and Rob Brydon turning up on shows I otherwise like is a really big pet peeve. I love 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown, but every so often one'll come on with David O'Doherty and Claudia Winkleman. Unwatchable.
Claudia Winkleman is hilarious and I wish she was on more often.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That people in Texas still defend corrupt cops. My 50-something year old office worker aunt got a shotgun pointed at her face once after being pulled over for an illegal left turn. Cops are 100% allowed to climb into your yard and then kill your dog if it does, you know, anything a dog would do if a stranger climbed into its home unannounced. Happens regularly in just Dallas, I think it's five or six figures dead dogs per year nationwide? Plus loads of people getting hurt or killed because Officer Dumbass missed the dog and hit somebody else, or occasionally, himself. One time a TX cop pointed a taser at me for a jaywalking stop.

I mean poo poo, Philando Castile got murdered for calmly and politely informing an officer that he had a legal firearm.

I think police are a good and cool thing to have and like most pussy liberal hypocrites, would call them in a heartbeat if I felt in danger, but jesus is it not obvious that the organizations need reform?

It's at the point where in crisis I'd far prefer to have a fully-armed squad of marines show up rather than two cops. The marines are reasonably certain to be skilled with their guns and are way less likely to open fire on their own civilians.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 02:59 on Feb 4, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

I know what you mean when you say "cup" instead of "glass" or "ground" instead of "floor" but when you start mixing up "curtains" with "blinds" or "chair" with "couch" I don't think I'm being the rear end in a top hat you think I am for getting confused. And no, I don't "know what you mean" because if I had, this wouldn't be a point of discussion. And "shelf" and "table"? You're loving kidding me. Get a vocabulary workbook.

lol have you been hanging out with me? I've called cushioned chairs "couches" for years and it drives people insane. Since my mistake was pointed out to me I try to avoid it unless I'm intentionally being an rear end in a top hat.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

When surveys ask you for your state and/or city and then for your postcode. Why are you wasting my time?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

When surveys ask you for your state and/or city and then for your postcode. Why are you wasting my time?

When north american surveys ask for state/province but then only allow one of the two postal code systems. Congratulations, your form is literally impossible to fill out for a significant number of people.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

This happens to me somewhat frequently where a big scratch will appear on my stomach/legs overnight. The obvious answer is that I scratched myself but sometimes they are deep enough that my tshirt ends up sticking to my skin from the dried blood, which is something I would think would wake me up but apparently not.

I used to wake up with mystery cuts all over me and at first I thought I was scratching myself in my sleep, then it got bad enough that I was worried that I was sleepwalking/blacking out and getting into fights somewhere or something. I finally realized one day while changing my sheets that my mattress had a bunch of springs that were just barely poking up through the fabric. Not enough to be quite visible, but far enough to cut me up if I rolled around a lot in my sleep that day.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There are way too many Hawaiian poke restaurants now. I thought opening a restaurant was supposed to be hard but I guess if there's something trendy then it's easy to do.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

There are way too many Hawaiian poke restaurants now. I thought opening a restaurant was supposed to be hard but I guess if there's something trendy then it's easy to do.

Opening a restaurant is easy. Not losing all of your money is the hard part.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And they tend to hang around a while because nobody wants to just admit they lost all that money.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

BioEnchanted posted:

Bob Mortimer tells the best stories due to coming up with really funny names for the major players ("Lovely lad, really big head, "Sniper's Dream" we called him").

Thanks for making me watch this again, too funny not to share.

For added context Bob Mortimer was a solicitor before turning to comedy, which is probably why he is so good at making up stories.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ey5MP4e2QOQ

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Mu Zeta posted:

They always pop up trying to capitalize on the latest fad (like a few years back when the new hip thing to do was ceviche). I'd be surprised if they last more than 2 years.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

docbeard posted:

There's nothing quite like cooking with lemons or limes to reveal these, I have found.

Hand sanitizer.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A mild thing, I an mildly annoyed that some Jargon opportunities got missed. For example, the places where peripherals are plugged in on a computer are called Ports - there should be a name for the massive collection of ports on the back of each computer - what else do you call a large number of ports? A harbour!

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think police are a good and cool thing to have and like most pussy liberal hypocrites, would call them in a heartbeat if I felt in danger, but jesus is it not obvious that the organizations need reform?

Not trying to be a smart rear end but asking a serious question: How would you reform these organizations? What would those reforms look like?

One of my pet peeves "investigative journalism" articles that are long, heart-wrenching pieces about police corruption/drug addiction/homelessness, etc. that point out a problem and go into a lengthy screed about said problem, but offer no workable solutions (or even any solutions at all for that matter).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

A mild thing, I an mildly annoyed that some Jargon opportunities got missed. For example, the places where peripherals are plugged in on a computer are called Ports - there should be a name for the massive collection of ports on the back of each computer - what else do you call a large number of ports? A harbour!

can we all agree that "dongle" is an awful term that should go away?

because I can never help but stifle laughter when someone says it in an earnest voice like "can i please borrow someone's dongle?".

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

MightyJoe36 posted:

Not trying to be a smart rear end but asking a serious question: How would you reform these organizations? What would those reforms look like?

One of my pet peeves "investigative journalism" articles that are long, heart-wrenching pieces about police corruption/drug addiction/homelessness, etc. that point out a problem and go into a lengthy screed about said problem, but offer no workable solutions (or even any solutions at all for that matter).

Just watch judge dredd and make them like that but only shoot the bad criminals who won't politely go to the isocubes, not innocent people.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I saw something on TV a while ago about how they were reforming the way police corruption was handled in Ireland. I forget the details, but it emphasized accountability on the part of individual officers by - I think - making them representatives of each division and citizens knew them by name and so on. Apparently it was very successful but when they tried it in the US, the police unions were having none of it. I'd like to look it up, but the details are so hazy that I don't really know what to search for.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Honestly I think the union thing is a big part of the problem. In a regular job you can't just say "talk to my PBA rep" when your boss thinks you hosed up doing your job. It shouldn't be so adversarial where the people making sure it runs properly are considered pariahs and dirty snitches who are worse than criminals. If you have nothing to hide, cooperate and let an objective third party decide if you screwed up, don't hide behind your union lawyers.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

it's more "american policing is hilariously rear end-backwards"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbM9uCxEJDM

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Elizabethan Error posted:

it's more "american policing is hilariously rear end-backwards"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbM9uCxEJDM

Much of American society is rear end-backwards, friend. Lots of things need fixing. How to fix the police? Beats me. But it would probably involve fixing the government both at the federal and state level. County and town level too. I think most people actually do agree that the police get away with too much poo poo, but what most Americans think and believe doesnt seem to matter much. Dont mean to sound defeatist because i do think things can change but its an uphill battle.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Blue Star posted:

Much of American society is rear end-backwards, friend. Lots of things need fixing. How to fix the police? Beats me. But it would probably involve fixing the government both at the federal and state level. County and town level too. I think most people actually do agree that the police get away with too much poo poo, but what most Americans think and believe doesnt seem to matter much. Dont mean to sound defeatist because i do think things can change but its an uphill battle.

People's beliefs don't really matter, they never actually act until it effects them directly.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Seventh Arrow posted:

I saw something on TV a while ago about how they were reforming the way police corruption was handled in Ireland. I forget the details, but it emphasized accountability on the part of individual officers by - I think - making them representatives of each division and citizens knew them by name and so on. Apparently it was very successful but when they tried it in the US, the police unions were having none of it. I'd like to look it up, but the details are so hazy that I don't really know what to search for.

Yeah, it was part of the "Community Policing" thing in the 1990s and the Federal Government gave a bunch of money to cities to put more cops on the street (I think it was 100,00). Problem was, they just gave them enough money to hire the 100,00 cops, not to set up the programs or pay their salaries once they were hired and trained. So I guess most of them ended up getting laid off.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Honestly I think the union thing is a big part of the problem. In a regular job you can't just say "talk to my PBA rep" when your boss thinks you hosed up doing your job. It shouldn't be so adversarial where the people making sure it runs properly are considered pariahs and dirty snitches who are worse than criminals. If you have nothing to hide, cooperate and let an objective third party decide if you screwed up, don't hide behind your union lawyers.

Part of the union thing is not losing your job because some politician's brother in law wants it.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Ads where the woman talks in an unnaturally high pitched, super fake-happy voice. It seems to be a recent thing. I went to Japan in 2010 and it was rampant there but I’ve only noticed it recently here in the us :911: It’s like nails on a chalkboard when some lady is squeaking about Palm Beach Tan during the ad break in classic rock radio.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

MightyJoe36 posted:

Part of the union thing is not losing your job because some politician's brother in law wants it.

I wasn't attacking unions in general necessarily, just the police one in particular. They obviously deserve the legal rights/protections any citizen has but I feel like the union obstructs any real investigation of their actions and knowingly keeps people who should be in prison in a position of authority. I'm sure "the police are corrupt" isn't an unpopular opinion though.

anyway

Thin Privilege posted:

Ads where the woman talks in an unnaturally high pitched, super fake-happy voice. It seems to be a recent thing. I went to Japan in 2010 and it was rampant there but I've only noticed it recently here in the us :911: It's like nails on a chalkboard when some lady is squeaking about Palm Beach Tan during the ad break in classic rock radio.

I think I know what you're talking about and it's definitely annoying. In non-ads I associate it with the overly bubbly office secretary/HR person stereotype. I don't get it honestly, because when you hear them outside of work they talk like a normal person. Is there someone out there telling people that's what people like?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Their bosses make them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

MightyJoe36 posted:

I don't really know, which sucks.

Non-US western nations manage to avoid poo poo like what happened to Philando Castile, or that poor kid who was executed while crawling facedown and begging for his life. (+god knows how many incidents that don't get filmed and publicized.) So I think there is something.

Hell, even comparing Ontario to Texas. I've spent probably half my adult life in each. In Texas I've been stopped countless times and had guns and tasers pointed at me. In Ontario I never once got stopped. The most interaction I had with OPP or local cops was paying parking violations, and those aren't exactly cops known for being nice themselves. Canadian police are still pretty poo poo. But there clearly is a better way.

One of the lovely things about the police problem in the US is that there isn't any easily-laid out solution. I'm happy to say I don't loving know what to do to make it better.

It's just insane to me that self-proclaimed small government gun-rights libertarians somehow side with the government in a situation where a man is summarily executed for calmly and dutifully revealing that he is carrying a legal, licensed firearm. Should real consitutional americans just draw on cops and fight for their lives? It's getting to the point where I'd say it should be no crime at all for a black man who gets pulled over to draw and hold the stopping cop at gun point, because he has a very reasonable fear for his life.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 15:40 on Feb 6, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's just insane to me that self-proclaimed small government gun-rights libertarians somehow side with the government in a situation where a man is summarily executed for calmly and dutifully revealing that he is carrying a legal, licensed firearm. Should real consitutional americans just draw on cops and fight for their lives? It's getting to the point where I'd say it should be no crime at all for a black man who gets pulled over to draw and hold the stopping cop at gun point, because he has a very reasonable fear for his life.

Insane small government gun rights libertarians are also super racist 99% of the time so they’re in favor of cops in those situations.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Facecam on youtube lp's,annoying inane commentary that adds nothing.

"Well HEEEEEY guys! what's uuuuuuup? it's ya boy bigdogsmokealot here hitting ya with anutha..... etc etc.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Facecam on youtube lp's,annoying inane commentary that adds nothing.

"Well HEEEEEY guys! what's uuuuuuup? it's ya boy bigdogsmokealot here hitting ya with anutha..... etc etc.

I don't mind the facecam as much as the overacting. Just play the game and if you have interesting comments, make them, but don't just scream a bunch and act like every little thing is the coolest thing you've ever seen just to please your sponsors. Sometimes I think the youtubers/streamers care more about their "character" than the viewers do who find them annoying when they aren't being genuine. Like there's a hearthstone streamer that seriously wears fake lens-less glasses because he wants to keep the same "character" that he had when he started.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Ugh, the other day I wanted to look at a let's play of Resident Evil 7 and made the mistake of clicking on a Markiplier video. It was full of goofy manbaby stuff - like, there's a healing mechanic in the game where you splash yourself with some kind of regenerative liquid so of course this has to be followed by "Da sploosh goosh! Goin' all splooshy with da gooshy! Eaagghh!" I've never turned off a video so quickly. Is his audience all 6-year-olds or something?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Seventh Arrow posted:

Ugh, the other day I wanted to look at a let's play of Resident Evil 7 and made the mistake of clicking on a Markiplier video. It was full of goofy manbaby stuff - like, there's a healing mechanic in the game where you splash yourself with some kind of regenerative liquid so of course this has to be followed by "Da sploosh goosh! Goin' all splooshy with da gooshy! Eaagghh!" I've never turned off a video so quickly. Is his audience all 6-year-olds or something?

God i hate that fucker his face is beyond irritating and he talks like a loving idiot,the only reason i know who he is is because he bled into some of the gamegrumps vids a while ago.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah I frankly have no idea why those people get traction. If I watch a youtube video on... basically anything, I want footage of the thing. I definitely don't want beared dreamworksface white dude #3396 being oh-so-zany.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

Is his audience all 6-year-olds or something?

Probably. I googled it and can't find any stats that acknowledge anyone under the age of 13 uses YouTube at all (and most reports only care about adults), but I expect kids are a huge percentage of the audience for LPs and YouTube in general.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

"Guys in the chat please don't backseat me or tell me how to complete these puzzles" spends 9 hours doing everything wrong and being confused.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

"Guys in the chat please don't backseat me or tell me how to complete these puzzles" spends 9 hours doing everything wrong and being confused.

Oh god i remember a short clip of some guy being stuck in (i think) paper mario. He would have just needed to get close to a gate that automatically opens to progress. I think he managed to avoid that by almost an hour and getting angry at the dumb game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Seventh Arrow posted:

If you haven't found one I will always recommend supergreatfriend for basically everything.

I don't really have anything to add to this I just really like supergreatfriend's lps.