Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers: the witch is back, baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Lizard Wizard, did you ever get around to fixing those early episodes?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Lizard Wizard, did you ever get around to fixing those early episodes?

One of these days! Maybe after season 3.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
"*turns to camera* It worked! :haw:" is so stupid, but so lovely. I'm glad you included it, LW. The whole Zedd/Rita thing really makes me wish they had done it sooner.

Tommy's fight with Zedd, regardless of how anticlimactic it is, will always stick with me for a meta reason: it was at the height of Tommy's popularity with the kids, meaning he could do no wrong and couldn't possibly be defeated because he's Tommy... and Zedd mocks the poo poo out of him and nearly puts him down.

Kinda related, Goldar is in love with Lord Zedd, right? In some sort of so-repressed-it-gets-expressed-as-loyalty way?

e: vvv yeah but everyone loves Kimberly. Lord Zedd tried to get with Kimberly, for crissake.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 4, 2018

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Goldar loves that cute little pink ranger, this is canon.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Now that's just loving creepy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Pink Ranger miniseries in the comics actually had Kim and Goldar come to a weird understanding and respecting one another.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That thumbnail makes Zedd look hella jacked.

Is that one of the "Use action figure versions of characters" shots?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Gaz-L posted:

The Pink Ranger miniseries in the comics actually had Kim and Goldar come to a weird understanding and respecting one another.

That doesn't seem any better.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

No, those are wedding cake toppers.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 4, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

That line is from the movie, so it explicitly isn't canon!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I think this episode raises an important question: who would Soccadillo have wound up marrying if not for his untimely demise?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Star Man posted:

That doesn't seem any better.
Nah, all the Boom Studios Power Rangers comics are pretty legitimately great in their own ways. I would totally recommend them to more people all the time but I don't know who would care. :saddowns:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

FilthyImp posted:

Whadda ya mean, Zedd is always all muscle :v:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lizard Wizard posted:

No, those are wedding cake toppers.

Well the props are pretty obviously action figures, I'm pretty sure I still have that Zedd figure in fact

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Box of Bunnies posted:

Whadda ya mean, Zedd is always all muscle :v:

True, but that version of him looks like he benches the Dragonzord and squats Tor.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BrianWilly posted:

Nah, all the Boom Studios Power Rangers comics are pretty legitimately great in their own ways. I would totally recommend them to more people all the time but I don't know who would care. :saddowns:

All I can do anymore is cringe when I watch a Saban-era episode of Power Rangers, so the comics would probably feel pretty fresh.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

http://news.tokunation.com/2018/02/02/power-rangers-shattered-grid-covers-sentries-new-ranger-49373

More covers for the Boom series crossover thing.

I'm kinda pleased with how from all over they're taking this. I wasn't a huge Samurai fan, but I'm glad they're going deeper into the well. And more Dr. K is a good thing.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Rita can also just create monsters at will. She turned Kat into the cat monster, turned the brick wall into the brick wall monster, and zapped something, I think a purse, to make basically the most effective monster in Zeo.

I believe this is still the only time a monster beat an Ultrazord. Though if you open it up to all the “all or nothing” robot combinations that could have been called Ultrazord over the years but were not, then there’s several more. For instance, in the last episode of Ninja Storm you get Vexacus wrecking the fully combined Megazord riding on (go figure) a robot mastodon that easily fills the Titanis role.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I love how the purse monster gets weaker when it works with the machine empire robot of the same episode. It's like an inverse PR motto: you're stronger alone!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers: never trust a wizard.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

poo poo we're in Australia we don't have any of the Japanese poo poo how the hell are we going to film an episode?

Well I could but a predator mask, a cape, and kid's birthday party rat costumes, would that work?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

What do you mean? That was clearly the British colonial township of Angel Grove, California.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Lizard Wizard posted:

What do you mean? That was clearly the British colonial township of Angel Grove, California.

It's probably because I live on the mainland now but I never picked up as a kid how that is just very obviously Australia. Down to the native plants, and what I guess is a lovely tourist trap colonial village.

Also that wizard was a lizard.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
That looks a lot like Old Sydney Town, the old colonial style theme park.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

"Man no weapons either." It always bothered me that they seemed to forget those weapons dangling on their hips.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, in the last episode that character tells the rest of the crew that Rita was the source of the powers, and Not-Barbara-Goodson yells over Soga's cameo about her headache and that "I know more than anyone that good will always win."

Udonna just kinda exposition dialogues to set it up. “Rita used to be bad, and now she’s good” and five seconds later there she was.

RIP to both Machiko Soga and Peta Rutta. They both died pretty soon after Mystic Force wrapped IIRC.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Darth TNT posted:

"Man no weapons either." It always bothered me that they seemed to forget those weapons dangling on their hips.

That always bothered me in my childhood. What happened to all of that equipment?

God drat was Zeo so refreshing to be able to see all that gear get used again.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is actually really cool and I'm glad JDF never got over his Power Ranger days and is always up for this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u4dlv2W9v8

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Darth TNT posted:

I can excuse the five because I think the power blasters are terrible.

I dunno Tommy’s excuse for not using Saba though

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MechaX posted:

I can excuse the five because I think the power blasters are terrible.

I dunno Tommy’s excuse for not using Saba though

Hey just a couple episodes ago Billy one shot a monster with his power blaster

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I THINK, heavily think, that they stopped using their weapons as much, even the blasters, pretty much because of the nasty backlash. They were getting enough poo poo for martial arts stuff.

Though one of my favorite things about the Wild West MMPR suits is that they have modified blade blasters that resemble revolvers.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Funny how since mid 2000s a lot of the fights are non stop laser blasts all over the place

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Disney passed down an edict that there could be no head blows, no fire, nothing super scary for their imaginary audience of easily traumatized toddlers.

This is why the few times fire was used as an attack without just being cut, it was recolored purple, given laser sound effects and given sparkles.

That extreme level of censorship has relaxed considerably with Saban though sadly the quality has not been brought back up to match it either.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I honestly never even noticed the lack of fire or head blows. I don't remember fire ever being extremely prevalent apart from Lightspeed Rescue and a have of fire themed monsters, or people being punched in the head (monsters excluded).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I honestly never even noticed the lack of fire or head blows. I don't remember fire ever being extremely prevalent apart from Lightspeed Rescue and a have of fire themed monsters, or people being punched in the head (monsters excluded).

They often had to reshoot specific moments in a fight to remove them or cut the use of fire. Also missiles were officially a No No and changed to lasers instead.

One of the most glaring things was the Overdrive mechs- that's where the sparkle purple fire came from if I recall correctly.

Also the whole LASERS call whenever they fired anything was a thing.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
It's extremely noticable during SPD and mystic force. Kruger's finisher involves a wall of weird blue and yellow flames and mystic red attacks all have weird sparkles around the flames.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Can’t do fire, but can do multiple explosions that throw Rangers 30 feet in the air.

Yes, I’m talking about you SPD.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Hey just a couple episodes ago Billy one shot a monster with his power blaster

I didn’t know that, but it doesn’t surprise me. Billy had really random moments where he will just solo monsters that gives the rest of the team trouble.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers: politicsdark magic ruins everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MechaX posted:

Can’t do fire, but can do multiple explosions that throw Rangers 30 feet in the air.

Yes, I’m talking about you SPD.

I didn’t know that, but it doesn’t surprise me. Billy had really random moments where he will just solo monsters that gives the rest of the team trouble.

It was the trash monster Zedd tried to capture Bookala with. They ran away from it then an attack it threw out landed near Bookala and scared it, and Billy shouted like Peter Parker in the symbiote suit "Nooooo! Don't you dare hurt my best friend!" Pulled out his gun, shot him once, and it loving exploded (an explosion was poorly overlaid over stock footage of the monster). It's in lizard wizards version, and is hilarious.