Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

skasion posted:

“Innovativeness”? Seriously

Every DLC requires at least one additional bar or value that provides a scaling return from 0 to 100, with at least one special breakpoint that provides an additional reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

skasion posted:

I mean I guess there’s nothing wrong with the mechanic, it’s just terrible name
I was commenting about them trying to make the English Immersion Pack (tm) appeal to everyone, to make it a must-buy even if you dont like playing as England/Scotland.

It is a terrible name. But they are running out of names for these things because they having so many!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I wish the diplomatic relations limit was by continent or something. It sucks to sail my way over to Asia from Europe only to not really have there wherewithal to insert myself into local politics and play various sultans and whatnot off of each other as I take land because all my slots are taken up with the intricate web of Europe. Instead I just drop doomstacks on Malaccans which is far less historical and fun.

DDRJake posted:

The Tech and Ideas alert also take on a new form if taking that tech/idea will result in an Innovativneess gain for your nation.

I guess Jake doesn't like the name either.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 6, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

for fucks sake

just start over and make eu5 without a million different bars to fill already

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i have bad news. eu5 is going to have a million bars to start with

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Such a yawn fest, an other stupid bar and one that punishes the dirty non-whites on top of being bland.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Tahirovic posted:

Such a yawn fest, an other stupid bar and one that punishes the dirty non-whites on top of being bland.

Pretty much. I'd really like it if they started merging poo poo rather than adding Yet Another Mana Counter to the loving game.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The only good thing I see about this mana bar is they’re trying to encourage being tall rather than wide. Too bad literally every other game mechanic encourages the opposite. Almost like...the game needs some sort of consolidation?? :thunk:

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
Innovativeness (lol) seems so worthless. You lose 0.1 a month for being behind your neighbours in tech, and when are you not behind in diplo if you're interacting with the game? It's going to drain way too fast to matter, especially as the way you get it gives it in such small chunks. Each "first buy" gain saves you 1 point on a tech or idea. How groundbreaking.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Yeah, it's getting absolutely absurd. I haven't played EUIV since drill/professionalism were introduced, and there's yet another loving bar after that, apparently.

I mean, there's already a reward for having better tech. It's the rewards for having better tech. There's also an ahead of time reward for being ahead of time in tech.

This game really needs either a sequel, or some massive consolidation so that there aren't at least 30-40 modifiers to keep track of, on everything from the province level to the state level to the empire level. Hell, nations even have unique government types or buttons (which are amazing!), that then sit on top of this whole mess.

How on earth is a new player supposed to come in and understand how the game works?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I, for one, cannot believe that there is no easy way to track which Edicts I have going in my states. I just found out that I had the development cost discount running in a state for over 100 years!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I want to say there’s a map mode for it or some poo poo, but frankly who knows

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, it's getting absolutely absurd. I haven't played EUIV since drill/professionalism were introduced, and there's yet another loving bar after that, apparently.

I mean, there's already a reward for having better tech. It's the rewards for having better tech. There's also an ahead of time reward for being ahead of time in tech.

This game really needs either a sequel, or some massive consolidation so that there aren't at least 30-40 modifiers to keep track of, on everything from the province level to the state level to the empire level. Hell, nations even have unique government types or buttons (which are amazing!), that then sit on top of this whole mess.

How on earth is a new player supposed to come in and understand how the game works?
Or even just consider it in the first place. If I had never spent hundreds of hours in Civ 5 I never would have considered buying this game because of how daunting the mechanics are.

Though whenever I read a chapter of A History of the World in 12 Maps I always feel the need to play EUIV the next day. Maybe there's some cross-promotion opportunity there !

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Arright, when I saw the Mamluks looking half green, I slammed my way in. Managed to get all the way to Alexandria and cut off the Ottoman but he seems to have mostly wanted stuff near my other target in Antioch.

Not looking forward to that, tbh, and meanwhile Kilwa has grabbed the gold that rightly belonged to me. Taking them out is just a matter of finding a way to fabricate on them or maybe just attack their allies and make them co-belligerent?

Dirk the Average posted:

It ain't simple I tell you hwat

This is after watching a shitload of streams and playing other Paradox games.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

innovativeness is brilliant. if they were going for self-parody.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
When EU4 is frothing at the mouth and coming up with new ideas like "Innovativeness" it's time to take him out to the back and put him down.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
putting in a bug report to request "innovative ideas" be renamed "innovativeness ideas"

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I don't even get why they wouldn't just call it Innovation

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Probably the dumbest new mechanic ever, good job guys!

How about you just change how the game works instead of trying to fix problems with 100 different paid DLCs that don't interact with each other?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

This thread is saltier than the fields of Carthage. :allears:

It doesn't matter at all but I don't hate the new mechanic even though it seems kinda meaningless, unless you get 6/6/6 rulers or just use it to counter the power cost of having 1-2 corruption I guess. But I do like the idea and concept of it.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Why didn't you just throw historicality to the wind again, and just name it what you did in Vicky 2, "Plurality"?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

RabidWeasel posted:

How about you just change how the game works instead of trying to fix problems with 100 different paid DLCs that don't interact with each other?

:same:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Hm yes I am definitely going to pay money to leave myself actively worse off in 90% of situations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I just got to 100% Professionalism in in 1598 and I feel like that was pretty fast - should I be proud of myself?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I just got to 100% Professionalism in in 1598 and I feel like that was pretty fast - should I be proud of myself?

I think 1600 is pretty reasonable time frame to get to 100 if you’re being conscientious about drilling and not spamming too many mercs. If you have a pretty passive start you can get there a good deal sooner, at the expense of your own entertainment.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That is quite fast, though some of the events give huge boosts, if you got lucky I can see that happening easily enough.

I wish drilling was more meaningful so I could go 0 mercs without feeling like I'm intentionally gimping myself

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
If you max out Innovativeness and keep it full until 1821, it unlocks Victoria 3 which will be included in the patch.

:sigh:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

that's a lot of recruiting standards to slacken, congrats

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

That is quite fast, though some of the events give huge boosts, if you got lucky I can see that happening easily enough.

I wish drilling was more meaningful so I could go 0 mercs without feeling like I'm intentionally gimping myself

Drilling is meaningful, it makes your soldiers mildly better for a bit and professionalism breakpoints give you some ok bonuses sure but it’s also a huge rear end manpower farm. Like mercs, it allows you to deal with the cost and limits on replacing troops lost during war, effectively giving you more staying power in a fight. And you can use both. It’s only -0.15 prof for each merc regiment (though it does also detract from your prof gain passively because it’s based on %forcelimit that is drilling which mercs can’t do), so at any rate stiffening your armies with a couple mercs now and again is not going to wreck you.

skasion fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 7, 2018

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Why are my boats so retarded? I'm so used to the boats in CK2 just being "load your fuckers into a boat, or put it in the middle then chain your morons through them" that this mess is infuriating

Yes, leave the loving general behind and only load the horses first, five at a time, when you have 6 transports. This is a great plan!

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Eh, Innovativeness seems like a good mechanic to me. It ties in nicely with older mechanics, boosts nations that can afford to tech ahead(generally the ones that aren't paying mountains of ADM and DIP to core/take territory), and it should make Europe a bit stronger vis-a-vis India and Asia without being too kludgy.
The name; however, is irredeemable.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

reignonyourparade posted:

Hm yes I am definitely going to pay money to leave myself actively worse off in 90% of situations.

Me, deciding to buy Cossacks.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Eh, Innovativeness seems like a good mechanic to me. It ties in nicely with older mechanics, boosts nations that can afford to tech ahead(generally the ones that aren't paying mountains of ADM and DIP to core/take territory), and it should make Europe a bit stronger vis-a-vis India and Asia without being too kludgy.
The name; however, is irredeemable.

it's a completely passive mechanic that doesn't change the players decision-making in any meaningful way

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Why are my boats so retarded? I'm so used to the boats in CK2 just being "load your fuckers into a boat, or put it in the middle then chain your morons through them" that this mess is infuriating

Yes, leave the loving general behind and only load the horses first, five at a time, when you have 6 transports. This is a great plan!

I lost an OPM desperation war earlier today and had to restart because I forgot that the general won't go with the first boats for some reason.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Prav posted:

it's a completely passive mechanic that doesn't change the players decision-making in any meaningful way

The first person to take a tech of the given level in an area doesn't get the discount for their neighbor having the tech. Anyone after them in that area does. This makes teching up more appealing.

The thing is, techs already give a benefit. The advantage to having teched up first is... having the tech before anyone else does.

I mean, in theory it's great and all, and it makes being the first person to take a tech stronger, but at the same time, the game already has so much bullshit to track that it's really silly to add yet another loving point total to max out for more bonuses or penalties.

If it were up to me and I had to make a mechanic for this, I'd just expand on the ahead of time bonuses and give a unique temporary modifier to the first person to discover a given tech. It'd help to make some of the less interesting techs more exciting by having them give stronger bonuses, while the super strong techs would give weaker bonuses since the advantage is in having them.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

It's even more insane that this is after they already fixed it. It used to be even worse.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Xinder posted:

I lost an OPM desperation war earlier today and had to restart because I forgot that the general won't go with the first boats for some reason.

And then you can't assign them in a boat ~because of reasons or whatever~

Completely loving idiocy.

AnoHito posted:

It's even more insane that this is after they already fixed it. It used to be even worse.
Botes were a hassle in CK2 but it's still slightly more tolerable

The fact that the bote combat poo poo is also pretty much the same as CK2 combat: "just slam more mans" is pretty helpful, tho I have no idea what heavies do, I just try to have more than the other guy and spam galleys when it says its better there

Also what the heck can I do about inflation? Is it just take economic/the advisor or pay it down? Because it's third idea time for Ethiopia and I was thinking humanism would probably be good so I can just keep conquering without having to deal with all these dang revolts but I'm only two more wars away from 3 more gold mines and a few years away from coring 2 more

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

skasion posted:

I think 1600 is pretty reasonable time frame to get to 100 if you’re being conscientious about drilling and not spamming too many mercs. If you have a pretty passive start you can get there a good deal sooner, at the expense of your own entertainment.
I'm the Ottomans that have expanded out to Mombasa, Tunis, Goa, and the gates of Vienna which is a big part of why I feel so good about it. I have never run out of manpower despite never hiring a merc. I have been running the Manpower boosting Edict in like half of my states most of the game but I'm still pretty rich and running five armies of full Janissary Infantry, 4 Cav, and ~50% artillery. I drill each of them between wars while my manpower recovers and things core. Its actually been a lot of fun.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Also what the heck can I do about inflation? Is it just take economic/the advisor or pay it down? Because it's third idea time for Ethiopia and I was thinking humanism would probably be good so I can just keep conquering without having to deal with all these dang revolts but I'm only two more wars away from 3 more gold mines and a few years away from coring 2 more

just ignore it

pay it down with paper if it becomes a serious problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

anything under 10 i usually ignore and get the advisor when i have a chance