Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Do you need to finish pico8 in chapter 3 to get the star on the notes page for it?
Pretty sure you don't. I finished it, but before I did my star run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I think there's an ARG or something happening. Theo's InstaPix account is an actual Instagram account, but the latest two pictures are a little weird. The one from two days ago has some artifacting along the top, and the one from yesterday is really glitched out with a Zalgo text description.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It's just posting the pictures as they would happen through the events of the game I'm pretty sure

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

404notfound posted:

I think there's an ARG or something happening. Theo's InstaPix account is an actual Instagram account, but the latest two pictures are a little weird. The one from two days ago has some artifacting along the top, and the one from yesterday is really glitched out with a Zalgo text description.

Don't forget what happens in Chapter 5. My guess is that we're just seeing what happens from his perspective. Today's pic is pretty neat though!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

kidcoelacanth posted:

It's just posting the pictures as they would happen through the events of the game I'm pretty sure

FPzero posted:

Don't forget what happens in Chapter 5. My guess is that we're just seeing what happens from his perspective. Today's pic is pretty neat though!

Doh, you guys are probably right. The feed so far and the pictures themselves definitely line up with the temple, but somehow I'd already forgotten about what happens there :downs:

All the more reason I need to go back there and find the blue heart!

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I have never played a plataformer before Celeste, but I just reached the summit with no assist and it felt great!

Boy did I die tons of times but I feel the game isn't lying when it mentions taking each death as a learning experience. When I started going back to previous chapters to find all the strawbs I managed to reduce my death count of 390 to 20. It's amazing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I finished my second file last night, just to see how few deaths and how fast, and barely got any strawberries. I didn’t realize it'd change the ending a bit :laugh:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm losing my mind on 8c. I can get all the way to the end fairly consistently but there everytime I try to do the speed dash jump thing, (down right dash then jump) she biffs it immediately into the spikes. This didn't give me a problem on the first screen, it works everywhere I try it except here.

Does it not work on ice? I've tried just lightly tapping jump and she gets no distance at all. How do I do this jump?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm losing my mind on 8c. I can get all the way to the end fairly consistently but there everytime I try to do the speed dash jump thing, (down right dash then jump) she biffs it immediately into the spikes. This didn't give me a problem on the first screen, it works everywhere I try it except here.

Does it not work on ice? I've tried just lightly tapping jump and she gets no distance at all. How do I do this jump?

You gotta hold Down while hitting jump and not let go of Down-Right the whole way.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i somehow got that last stretch on my first try, and i'm glad i did since i'm not even remotely consistently successful with that move

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DoctorWhat posted:

You gotta hold Down while hitting jump and not let go of Down-Right the whole way.

So, down right, dash, down, jump, hold down right the whole way?

Or down right, dash, jump while continuing to hold down right?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

So, down right, dash, down, jump, hold down right the whole way?

Or down right, dash, jump while continuing to hold down right?

using numpad notation:
code:
jump
press and hold 3
press dash
wait a picosecond
press jump

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the celeste soundtrack is currently the top selling album on bandcamp, and the b-sides are #3

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Got the game myself after playing a friend's copy this weekend. About 2k deaths in and have every collectible from the A-routes, and 1-3B complete.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

DoctorWhat posted:

using numpad notation:
code:
jump
press and hold 3
press dash
wait a picosecond
press jump

You don't actually need that first jump. You can do a diagonal down-right dash even while standing on solid ground. Just activate the dash, and then immediately press and hold jump.

I kind of like that they teach you this in the very last challenge because suddenly it's like the curtain lifting back and showing you "Here's how you speedrun parts of this game. Your real reward is this final trick." I know I've used it to get my times down in Chapters 1 and 2.

I've been trying to get the Gold Strawberry on Chapter 4 (skipped 3 because those blobs kill me good every time) and I was so close but those snowballs at the end are just the worst! Argh!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jumping first makes it easier to retain/regain your dash, though in The Core I guess that doesn't matter.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I got the gold strawberry for chapter 1-B today. Time was pretty good when I finally succeeded, I am happy about it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OniVhi7z9Yw

Can someone explain what this person is doing at 6:31?

I keep trying to make this jump and no matter what I never get that extra distance. Looking at it even in 0.25 speed I can't tell what he's doing

Edit: haha holy poo poo I got this literally got it seconds after I made this post I have no idea what I did

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
There's like one pixel you can hit where it won't eat all your lateral momentum and still let you jump without dying to spikes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm jumping off a sheer wall though, there is no lateral momentum

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Oh god I'm bad at remembering what I read.

You pass through those spikes because right facing spikes only kill you if you're moving left and in the time you're close enough to the wall they're on you do a wall jump

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I had to do it again cause I accidentally dashed later, I'm definitely only jumping off the wall in on, not the spike wall, cause I'm hitting the jump button only once on the way up from my first straight up wall jump. I think Celeste head clips through the spikes a little but I'm definitely not jumping off their wall.

I think I figured out which pixel to aim for at least. Getting it about one in ten tries now.

The checkpoint screen that was impossible before I'm now getting second or third try usually.

Currently stuck on screen where there's a ton of spikes winding up. I can successfully jump off of them to get to the wall, then there's a platform above but I've only successfully reached it once in about a hundred tries. Just really hard to get high enough on the wall with enough stamina to make it to that tiny lip and use the last desperate jump. She barely ever gets on that lip.

After that there's some more spikes I'm sure I can wall jump on easily enough, but it will take a few tries, so getting that far every time I haven't gotten very many tries.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Mother.

loving.

Victory.

I can't remember the last time I've felt this much satisfaction at finishing a game. Goddamn, Celeste is something special.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Does 7C have an epic lead-up to the summit too? Because if it does I was thinking I'd do 8C first, so that it feels appropriately final.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Argue posted:

Does 7C have an epic lead-up to the summit too? Because if it does I was thinking I'd do 8C first, so that it feels appropriately final.

No to the former, and the latter won't open until you've beaten all the others.

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

fuuuuuck 6b and everyone who thought those bumpers were a good game mechanic

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Finished 3B with 300+ deaths. Somehow not as bad as I thought it would be, the majority of deaths were me trying to find the optimum route to skip some jumps and were massively risky for no reason, haha. Even tried to clown on THE DASHING GUY constantly to reset my jumps, just because.

Now to find all the other B-sides and hearts et al! 3B was the only one I found so far.

This game is amazing.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

uh oh pancho! posted:

Could be worse

Chapter 6 was an entire water level at one point

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Thanks developers for making an ice level without slippery floors.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
edit: Never mind, seems it's a bit too early in the morning!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 7, 2018

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Me: I wonder if the developers know that your dash resets between screens.

Me, after getting 2A's Crystal Heart: They definitely knew.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Artelier posted:

Me: I wonder if the developers know that your dash resets between screens.

Me, after getting 2A's Crystal Heart: They definitely knew.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the developers know literally every mechanic and stretch them all to breaking point

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

alf_pogs posted:

the developers know literally every mechanic and stretch them all to breaking point

Me, an ignorant beta tester thinking he'd be a cool guy and report a bug: "hey devs, there is this weird bug that happens because of the order the game loop does certain actions in"
badass devs: "oh hey, that's kinda cool, we'll leave that in"

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Care to elaborate?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Dancer posted:

Care to elaborate?

Wind physics happen after the game checks if a spike killed you, I'll leave it at that.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

uh oh pancho! posted:

Yeah, I would've liked those bumpers a lot more if they didn't sway around so much. Even though its only for a few pixels their motion just seems to mess me up a lot. (or maybe it's all in my head and their hitbox doesn't actually move?)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

hi friends guess who just discovered the joy that is 5b music

Artelier fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 7, 2018

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

SeXReX posted:

Could be worse

Chapter 6 was an entire water level at one point

lol I was wondering. I thought it was weird that there was swimming but no screens that really did anything with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Did someone just say to Matt "Hey nobody actually has every liked water levels"

Then he said "Yeah but this time we'll make it work"

And then you were like "Not even Donkey Kong Country could make it work"