Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Why now? A distraction from something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

This man fucks

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eylpRENSvow

Greg Larsen explains Work for the Dole - good poo poo

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Trying to imagine what Caleb's wife looks like.

A sticky wicket

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

GoldStandardConure posted:

WRONG!

IDIOT!

It's Narsil! :yayclod:

Pft, you and everyone

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

You Am I posted:

Why did the fuckers wait till he got back in to finally air that story?

People in this thread mentioned it a bunch during the by-election. Apparently his daughter had a public freakout over it. Why wasn't it touched by the media or by Labor?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

question time is going to be utterly unbearable tomorrow

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ewe2 posted:

This is Australian journalism, why are you even asking that question at this stage?

Don't ask a Guardian journalist about it though, they'll be mad at you for lowering the tone.

If the Guardian's tone was any more self righteous they'd disappear up their own rear end and back out their mouth in an eternal ouroboros loop.

They can get hosed about taking the moral high ground is what I'm saying.

At the least the Australian is plainly the money losing propaganda rag it looks like.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

tithin posted:

This man fucks

He has a huge Federal department, I hear.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the current politics live editor on the guardian seems pretty cool, but jesus christ katherine murphy is one of the worst political writers i’ve come across.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Brown Paper Bag posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eylpRENSvow

Greg Larsen explains Work for the Dole - good poo poo

Right on the money also, Work for the Dole is a nice idea in theory but anyone doing it isn't going to be given anything of substance to do and it honestly just wastes everybody's time.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Amethyst posted:

People in this thread mentioned it a bunch during the by-election. Apparently his daughter had a public freakout over it. Why wasn't it touched by the media or by Labor?

The trouble with moralising about politicians is that it's a nuclear option if you're in the MSM or make too much noise about it if you're in the ALP. Put simply, there would be massive revenge stories and it hurts everyone's electoral chances if you're a politician and even worse circulation if you're the MSM. Sure, it's a hot story at first but people usually get sick of this and get angry that it's the major political issue. Cue fake editorials about "the press's role" and crocodile tears about privacy.

Hence the comfortable grey zone where well-bred journalists just "don't go there" and politicians can gently caress who they want as long as it's neither obvious nor actually criminal. gently caress what the public think, they can always be distracted by something else, right?

In some cultures they're less puritan about these issues, they don't give a toss in France or Italy no matter how sleazy. It's just the Anglo-centric culture that treats personal immorality as hypocrisy.

edit: and it's not as if his electorate gave a stuff either, I doubt more publicity of his affair would have essentially changed the result.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 6, 2018

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

ewe2 posted:

The trouble with moralising about politicians is that it's a nuclear option if you're in the MSM or make too much noise about it if you're in the ALP. Put simply, there would be massive revenge stories and it hurts everyone's electoral chances if you're a politician and even worse circulation if you're the MSM.

Yeah, pretty much this. Plus, cynicism about politicians and their motives aside (I know, but bear with me), I do think there's a legitimate argument to be made about the right to a private life - I don't think it's necessarily the strongest argument, and there are definitely counter-arguments to it, but I don't think you can just handwave it away with "well when you become a politician you automatically give up your right to a private life".

Also, if anyone thinks that any of the parties are free from infidelity, then just lol. There are people who are lovely in their personal lives in the Coalition, ALP, Greens, and every Party in between.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Personally I say we moralise about the pollies that moralise back at us, and let the others have whatever consensual orgies they like.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Testekill posted:

Right on the money also, Work for the Dole is a nice idea in theory but anyone doing it isn't going to be given anything of substance to do and it honestly just wastes everybody's time.

Hey now, apparently the majority of WFTD sites are unsafe and someone managed to die at one.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Testekill posted:

Well yeah it's pointless if you assume the point is to give them work as opposed to the real reason it's there, being a punishment.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

they both have "apex" in the name

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
LOL if you're not proud scum.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Inescapable Duck posted:

LOL if you're not proud scum.

##vote Inescapable Duck

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
the daily telegraph accidentally does one good thing per year and they've already peaked with "bundle of joyce"

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Pretty amazing to see that whole Joyce story was true

AgentF
May 11, 2009

hawaiian_robot posted:

they both have "apex" in the name

Shane Warne no!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Something tells me this will just add to Joyce’s blokey character and his primary vote will go up

This country is a garbage fire

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Imagine if a Di Natale hosed a staffer and she got pregnant.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Imagine if there was a rape scandal in the Greens and a former party leader wrote a big letter mostly blaming the victim

Oh wait

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

JBP posted:

Imagine if a Di Natale hosed a staffer and she got pregnant.

The Greens actually claim to have principles so it would be rank hypocrisy. No one expects a member of the LNP to uphold the conservative values they try and ram down everyone else's throats so it's hardly news when one of them cheats on his wife and bones an employee.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Endman posted:

Imagine if there was a rape scandal in the Greens and a former party leader wrote a big letter mostly blaming the victim

Oh wait

I'm trying to talk about things the media cares about.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BBJoey posted:

the current politics live editor on the guardian seems pretty cool, but jesus christ katherine murphy is one of the worst political writers i’ve come across.

Katherine Murphy seems to be blindsided by her constant stories about factions issues in Labor and somehow ignoring the fact the Coalition is ripping itself apart.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The guardian is a pseudo intellectual wet liberal wankfest gently caress anyone who writes or reads it

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
pro: greg jericho

con: van evilelmo

pro: first dog

Endman
May 18, 2010

Birdstrike posted:

pro: greg jericho

con: van evilelmo

pro: first dog

con: you’re posts

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Solemn Sloth posted:

The guardian is a pseudo intellectual wet liberal wankfest gently caress anyone who writes or reads it

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

You Am I posted:

Katherine Murphy seems to be blindsided by her constant stories about factions issues in Labor and somehow ignoring the fact the Coalition is ripping itself apart.

i think it’s fair to write about the idiotic internal civil war the alp is constantly fighting, but if you read her stories about turnbull particularly towards the end of last year it’s obvious she is blindly devoted to him as a leader. basically every word of her articles is about how if only the dang conservatives would get out of the way, malcolm with his genius intellect would lead australia into a golden age.

i’m not stupid enough to think that journalism has to be objective and that it’s a moral failing if you have an opinion of the subject you’re writing about, but if you admire someone so much that you’re oblivious to their very obvious, regularly remarked upon failings maybe you should take a step back and consider.

my sole interaction with her was when she was scolding the rabble for being interested in joyce’s private life last year. i asked her if she recalled an article she wrote about how people don’t trust journalism because it no longer speaks truth to power (https://meanjin.com.au/essays/truth-and-the-new-politics/). apparently she had forgot all about it :iiam:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

I read it because sadly most of the alternatives are either right wing poo poo, clickbait or you have to pay after reading 1 article.

BBJoey posted:

i think it’s fair to write about the idiotic internal civil war the alp is constantly fighting, but if you read her stories about turnbull particularly towards the end of last year it’s obvious she is blindly devoted to him as a leader. basically every word of her articles is about how if only the dang conservatives would get out of the way, malcolm with his genius intellect would lead australia into a golden age.

i’m not stupid enough to think that journalism has to be objective and that it’s a moral failing if you have an opinion of the subject you’re writing about, but if you admire someone so much that you’re oblivious to their very obvious, regularly remarked upon failings maybe you should take a step back and consider.

my sole interaction with her was when she was scolding the rabble for being interested in joyce’s private life last year. i asked her if she recalled an article she wrote about how people don’t trust journalism because it no longer speaks truth to power (https://meanjin.com.au/essays/truth-and-the-new-politics/). apparently she had forgot all about it :iiam:
Yeah, but factional fights are to Labor as what Liberals screwing over the Nationals in the Coalition. Old news. Murphy's "OMG TURNBULL IS HAVING A GREAT START TO THE YEAR" article really cemented that she either doesn't have clue or is tone deaf to the political climate.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i read the guardian because it’s one of the few news sites that doesn’t immediately crash the 20 year old version of internet explorer we have to use at work

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Caroline Overington at The Australian has reported Natalie Joyce has spoken:

I am deeply saddened by the news that my husband has been having an affair and is now having a child with a former staff member. I understand that this affair has been going on for many months and started when she was a paid employe.

This situation is devastating on many fronts. For my girls who are affected by the family breakdown and for me as a wife of 24 years, who placed my own career on hold to support Barnaby through his political life.

Our family life has had to be shared during Barnaby’s political career and it was with trust that we let campaign and office staff into our homes and into our lives. Naturally we also feel deceived and hurt by the actions of Barnaby and the staff member involved.

The situation for myself and the girls will be made worse by the fact that this will all be played out in public so at this time, I would ask that the girls and I are given some privacy and time to come to terms with the consequences and take steps to plan our future.”

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

He’s happy to poo poo all over gay couples and I’ll bet he voted in favour of retaining metadata so I’m not too worried about his privacy in this case.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

He’s happy to poo poo all over gay couples and I’ll bet he voted in favour of retaining metadata so I’m not too worried about his privacy in this case.

Not to mention the treatment of Gillard as PM, which Virginia Trioli brought up on News Breakfast. We heard about her partner, her "being barren", all this poo poo that wouldn't happen with a male pollie. Now a male pollie does something wrong on multiple levels (adultery, power imbalance between an MP and staffer, knocked her up and hid it) and it's all "well, there's a certain decorum to maintain about the New Zealand citizen who wants to say who can or can't marry".

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-07/mps-defend-joyces-right-to-privacy-after-partner-on-front-page/9403988

quote:

On Channel Seven's Sunrise program, Daily Telegraph journalist Sharri Markson defended running the story, saying the end of Mr Joyce's marriage had affected his approach to his work.
"It is such a traumatic thing, ending a marriage," she said.
Markson argued it was in the public interest.
"I don't think there are any punters out there who are saying 'I wish I did not know this story' this morning," she said.
"[They are not thinking] 'I wish the Daily Telegraph had suppressed the information that the Deputy Prime Minister had left his wife and four daughters for his former staff member nearly 20 years his junior'."
She said journalists who missed the story or did not publish it were now arguing it was not in the public interest.
hmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

"I don't think there are any punters out there who are saying 'I wish I did not know this story' this morning," she said.

Well it put me off my breakfast so....

He nutted inside her

• Locked thread