Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
There are OCCASIONAL nods to the fact that addiction can happen where you wouldn't expect it, generally when EMS brings a fresh transplant from the suburbs with a college ID and such. But then the moment passes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
As far as I know, people who professionally work with "difficult" people often get a cynical attitude and burn out.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, I suppose that's the other side of the hill. A psychiatrist friend complains about the "worried well" he deals with now but it's not an accident that he got out of the "addicts with comorbid mental illness" scene.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Safe injection sites should be as small as possible and extremely widespread, to avoid as much of the effect of concentrating drug addicts in one place as possible.

Obviously vulnerable populations like addicts and the homeless need services provided to them, but putting all those services in one place is a terrible idea. These people are part of our community -- instead of concentrating them into skid row, which separates them from their support structures and creates what ends up being an environment full of negative reinforcement, we need to treat them as part of our communities.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BarbarianElephant posted:

As far as I know, people who professionally work with "difficult" people often get a cynical attitude and burn out.

Part of that is how overtaxed and over burdened they tend to be. People who go into helping addicts and the severely damaged tend to do it because they want to help. Then they see how woefully inadequate the resources are, the stigma attached to the people, and how the prognosis often isn't good and become cynical in general. Our society is not kind to these people and look badly on those that just want to help.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PT6A posted:

Safe injection sites should be as small as possible and extremely widespread, to avoid as much of the effect of concentrating drug addicts in one place as possible.

Obviously vulnerable populations like addicts and the homeless need services provided to them, but putting all those services in one place is a terrible idea. These people are part of our community -- instead of concentrating them into skid row, which separates them from their support structures and creates what ends up being an environment full of negative reinforcement, we need to treat them as part of our communities.

I mean, what's as small as possible? Don't think it would do much good to shrink them much beyond the size of like a strip mall/business street retail slot. No point making them excessively cramped.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

All of us suffer some degree of burnout. There are some folks -- more than you'd care to know -- who are off the meaty portion of the bell curve when it comes to maliciousness and callousness.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

"Mixed" is a polite way to describe how many Philadelphians are responding. My nurses, who should know by now that this is a GOOD thibg, just grouse about "enabling," blah blah blah, as though we don't have enough evidence that addicts will use no matter what the circumstances. Same with a lot of EM docs on our closed group, many of whom have actually stated that banning naloxone and post-overdose resuscitation (!!!) "would fix it all anyway." And they fight ED initiation of buprenorphine/naloxone with quick referral to rehab because they don't think it's their job -- "How is that an emergency?"

Getting pretty discouraged by a good chunk of my colleagues.

The medical profession has a long history of being complicit in war crimes so this doesn't surprise.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

KingEup posted:

The medical profession has a long history of being complicit in war crimes so this doesn't surprise.

The medical profession, or doctors who should be condemned by their peers and convicted by the courts? If the latter, sure. If the former, tell me more.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Kellyanne Conway has taken control of the Federal government's drug policy office and is personally going to make sure we don't do poo poo about the opioid crisis. A lot of people are going to die because of this.

quote:

President Donald Trump’s war on opioids is beginning to look more like a war on his drug policy office.

White House counselor Kellyanne Conway has taken control of the opioids agenda, quietly freezing out drug policy professionals and relying instead on political staff to address a lethal crisis claiming about 175 lives a day. The main response so far has been to call for a border wall and to promise a "just say no” campaign.

I'm in loving shock at how stupid and evil this is. gently caress Donald Trump.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like if you can describe it as a "just say no campaign" then maybe that's a testament to whether we've tried one of those and whether it works?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
“Well poo poo, I might get locked up. I’ve seen the error of my ways and won’t use.”*- every addict

*this is the same phenomenon that ended drunk driving

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

pangstrom posted:

Aside but: my best friend in high school became a real alcoholic and the response among ~5 mutual friends (all intelligent, reasonably informed, mostly progressive) could be pretty well summarized by "dude he needs to stop being a weak dick" even after talking about it for an hour. The willpower/character thing is very much the default position.

I really hate this part. If someone is, say, LGBT, there's a large portion of society that will look down on them and treat them like poo poo, but at least it's relatively easy to predict who will treat you normally and won't be bigoted towards you. Someone who is pretty liberal/progressive politically is likely to at least not have any sort of hostility or negative reaction to you if that's the case, and certain groups can be relied upon to treat you very positively. But it is extremely difficult to predict someone's views of addiction. Progressive liberals are almost as likely as conservatives to condemn and ostracize someone for being an addict, and even if they show some degree of sympathy they'll probably still think less of you as a person. Unless someone has specifically talked about their feelings about addiction, it's always a risk.

To be honest, it's hard not to feel bitter about it, and it really reveals just how skin-deep their empathy is.

edit: I want to be clear that I'm certainly not saying addicts are treated worse on average than LGBT people, or comparing the two situations otherwise. I'm just referring to the fact that it's very difficult to predict how someone will treat you based off of their politics, etc.

pangstrom posted:

People who think it's a willpower/character monocausal thing really hate stuff like this. It reads as indulging people who are already self-indulging. And you almost need some parts of the city "lost" to homeless drug addicts (or otherwise completely vacant, or completely disenfranchised) to put the sites in so residents don't go nuts.

People just don't understand. For one thing, your average person is quite literally incapable of comprehending just how terrible opiate withdrawal can be (and this also applies to a lot of people with weaker/newer opioid addictions, who like to contribute their opinions about how "yeah it's pretty bad but not so terrible it's impossible to deal with*") It's just out of the scope of what humans will normally experience, and the whole "knowingly subjecting yourself to it when you quit" angle adds an extra layer of difficulty. It is very accurate to compare the whole detox process (including PAWS for long-term/serious addicts) with someone voluntarily subjecting themselves to torture. It's sometimes possible, but it requires either a special kind of person or circumstances where someone literally can't use for whatever reason. I use the torture analogy because it breaks people out of the whole "isn't it common sense to quit if it's the only way to have a decent life?" thought process. Misunderstandings usually seem to involve people projecting their own experiences dealing with normal/"mundane" challenges and difficulties onto the experiences of the addict.

* Fast forward a couple years of them continuing to use because they thought withdrawals were tolerable, until they finally reach the point where they're no longer quite so tolerable.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 6, 2018

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

Another complicating factor wrt withdrawal is the fact that most people simply can't put life (job, family, school, etc) on pause for the first phase of withdrawal. Especially if one has the sort of addiction that consumes virtually all of one's disposable income (and then chips-away at things most sober folks see as 'necessities').

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Work requirements are going to kill people. Medicaid is how you pay for medications.

Technically you can get on disability for addiction but good luck going through that process if you’re actively addicted to drugs or alcohol.

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

Lote posted:

Work requirements are going to kill people. Medicaid is how you pay for medications.

Technically you can get on disability for addiction but good luck going through that process if you’re actively addicted to drugs or alcohol.

From what I was told during one rehab stint, one has a higher likliehood of success using a comorbid psychiatric diagnosis.

While I might benefit from filing for disability, it's much easier to exist in shame, blaming my addiction rather than admitting my brain is broken.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

The_Book_Of_Harry posted:

From what I was told during one rehab stint, one has a higher likliehood of success using a comorbid psychiatric diagnosis.

While I might benefit from filing for disability, it's much easier to exist in shame, blaming my addiction rather than admitting my brain is broken.

The Americans With Disabilities Act designates addiction as a disability, and theoretically a documented addiction would entitle one to benefits, including a monthly check from Social Security and Medicare coverage.

But good luck getting approved, even with a talented lawyer helping you. You wouldn't believe the hurdles the SSA put in my path when I filed for rheumatoid arthritis, degenerative osteoarthritis, and fibromyalgia. I had documentation in the form of medical charts and test results going back several years, but the process was unbelievably slow. Without a lawyer, I'd probably never have gotten approved.

But you have nothing to lose by applying, and you'd be no worse off if they denied your case. And there's always the possibility you'd be approved.

When I finally got mine, I received retroactive benefits going back to the day of my initial application. It's not every day $14k shows up in your mailbox. :)

King Possum III fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 7, 2018

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
The President with stirring words on tackling the opiate crisis:

http://reason.com/blog/2018/02/06/trump-have-to-get-really-really-tough-re posted:

My take is you have to get really, really tough, really mean with the drug pushers and the drug dealers. We can do all the blue ribbon committees we want, we have to get a lot tougher than we are.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I look forward to the upcoming nationalization of the pharmaceutical industry.

In all seriousness though, Trump wants to go full Duterte.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
How many illicit substance has Trump used “just for fun” and how many congressmen are binge drinkers with a side opoid habit? Probably a a lot, but thank god these american heroes are confronting real issues

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How many illicit substance has Trump used “just for fun” and how many congressmen are binge drinkers with a side opoid habit? Probably a a lot, but thank god these american heroes are confronting real issues

It doesn't count as an addiction if you have a prescription, buddy.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Other than his impotence-inducing hair restoration pills, and whatever the doctors have him on for senile dementia, I suspect Trump's main poison of choice was the mountains of blow he clearly went through back in the 80s.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Trump is a notorious teetotaler who treats drinkers and drug users with a very sincere contempt. I do not believe he uses any substances other than Diet Coke.

His coke-binge personality is sui generis.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

the black husserl posted:

Trump is a notorious teetotaler who treats drinkers and drug users with a very sincere contempt. I do not believe he uses any substances other than Diet Coke.

So, pill-popper.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

He is a huge hypocrite in all sorts of ways so he might be a user of every substance APART from booze and still think of himself as teetotal.

But isn’t it more alarming that his natural personality is that of a drunk person on a coke binge?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

He is a huge hypocrite in all sorts of ways so he might be a user of every substance APART from booze and still think of himself as teetotal.

But isn’t it more alarming that his natural personality is that of a drunk person on a coke binge?

Also, he may be an occasional drinker who just lies about it, because he's a giant loving liar who lies about literally everything.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The argument is hard to make definitively, but based on the low ambient media he's generated for decades and what others have said about him over the years, I think Trump really is a teetotaler/straight edge/whatever. My take is that he basically thinks he is too golden a boy for substances, and that they make other guys easier to beat and women easier to sleep with.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Did you just conveniently forget all the cases where he gets really bad cases of the sniffles before huge media events?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I think it was just a cold. It's just one thing he and others have been consistent on throughout the years. Nobody gave a poo poo about rich NYC people using cocaine and if anything most people probably thought less of him for braying about not doing it.

If I have to argue against myself, I could definitely see him having been on "diet pills" or something at some point. Not saying that with any confidence, just there was a time when lots of esp. celebrities were and Trump is obsessed with how he looks and there was this illusion among lots of people that they weren't really drugs.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

pangstrom posted:

I think it was just a cold. It's just one thing he and others have been consistent on throughout the years. Nobody gave a poo poo about rich NYC people using cocaine and if anything most people probably thought less of him for braying about not doing it.

If I have to argue against myself, I could definitely see him having been on "diet pills" or something at some point. Not saying that with any confidence, just there was a time when lots of esp. celebrities were and Trump is obsessed with how he looks and there was this illusion among lots of people that they weren't really drugs.

One look at his body would show that your diet pills theory is bullshit

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

One look at his body would show that your diet pills theory is bullshit

"Diet pills" are legal stimulants, not necessarily actually functional as diet aids.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

Also, he may be an occasional drinker who just lies about it, because he's a giant loving liar who lies about literally everything.

His brother basically drank himself to death I think.

I hate Trump's guts but I doubt he is lying about not drinking.

Pretty sure that if his doctor said 'here take these pills' he would be cool with that though.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

pangstrom posted:

The argument is hard to make definitively, but based on the low ambient media he's generated for decades and what others have said about him over the years, I think Trump really is a teetotaler/straight edge/whatever. My take is that he basically thinks he is too golden a boy for substances, and that they make other guys easier to beat and women easier to sleep with.

His brother was an alcoholic and died from it. He has a very personal reason for hating alcohol.

Knowledge is fun :)

Fried Watermelon posted:

Did you just conveniently forget all the cases where he gets really bad cases of the sniffles before huge media events?

Come on, do you seriously think this means this is proof of a coke problem? Has Daily Mail style tabloid thinking just taken over everyone's brains? :psyduck:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah you really know a politician is on coke when they sit in the chamber and stare at the opposition benches like they're the most amazing thing in the world.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Has Daily Mail style tabloid thinking just taken over everyone's brains? :psyduck:

Yes.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

His brother was an alcoholic and died from it. He has a very personal reason for hating alcohol.

Knowledge is fun :)
Just to suggest a reframe: I would bet money that (while Freddy was alive) Donald thought he was a loser, and so did their dad.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Doesn't being an addict who is destroying their life rightfully make you a loser?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Depends on how good you are at simultaneously believing that addiction is both a thing capable of independently destroying you whether you want it to or not while also being a conscious moral failing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

It depends how you define 'loser' too. Is it a term that carries a moral judgement, or just an observation of the facts of someone's current life situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

pangstrom posted:

Just to suggest a reframe: I would bet money that (while Freddy was alive) Donald thought he was a loser, and so did their dad.

Isn't that exactly why he became teetotal?