Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Away all Goats posted:

I wouldn't call it boring but the plot moves at a snail's pace compared to something like Game of Thrones. I was expecting the host uprising to happen by like episode 3, not dragged out all the way to next season

I knew I was going to hate it when I saw the intro. Never seen a show up its own rear end to that degree. I'll give it another look if they change up the intro like The Leftovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Westworld was OK, but the handling of all it's big reveals was just so ham handed and clunky. It gets praised way too much for being deep and intricate when it really wasn't. I hope they just do regular story telling this season, but I'm sure they're gonna try for another "The bad guy was also the good guy in the past!" kinda thing again.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Solice Kirsk posted:

Westworld was OK, but the handling of all it's big reveals was just so ham handed and clunky. It gets praised way too much for being deep and intricate when it really wasn't. I hope they just do regular story telling this season, but I'm sure they're gonna try for another "The bad guy was also the good guy in the past!" kinda thing again.

I enjoyed it but it's one of those shows that has an interesting concept and leans on it too hard and ends up taking itself too seriously and almost ruining it. Kind of like Inception.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Related PHUO: Having to wait over a year between seasons makes me lose interest in a show.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

Related PHUO: Having to wait over a year between seasons makes me lose interest in a show.

I hate half seasons too. It's just an excuse for more filler. People are far more tolerant of them only making 4 real episodes (the premieres and the finales) and the rest filler when you split it up with months in between the two halves. It's just lazy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

pidan posted:

On one had you're correct in that biological racism arose under very specific circumstances and was definitely invented by Europeans or colonials of Euro descent (which is why it generally says white people are best).

On the other hand there are certainly racism-like systems in the world that predate European influence, such as the whole Kafir thing in Arabic nations, and the caste system in India.

So I guess I'm disagreeing on two points: one, it was colonists rather than Europeans who invented and spread racism, and two, that's not the only source of racism in the world.

It's idiotic to act that "colonists" and europeans were distinct pre-1800 and it sounds like a modern euro justification. "We wasn't the racists gov, twas them!!"

Sorry, late. But you're an idiot if you thing 1650s english planters in Virginia were wildly different and super racist compared to 1650s Yorkshire, or Ulster, or Sussex, or whatever planters.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 17:27 on Feb 6, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

We need more billionaires like Elon Musk. I don't pretend to agree with everything he says or does, but at least he's trying to do something with his money other than just printing more of it. It depresses me how many people my age are calling for him to be guillotined after the recent spacex launch. Yes, he could have used that money for other things, but it's his own company, he's not the government. Why can't we get excited about people innovating anymore? It always has to have an asterisk next to it of "didn't use this money to feed the poor or whatever".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

yeah I eat rear end posted:

We need more billionaires like Elon Musk. I don't pretend to agree with everything he says or does, but at least he's trying to do something with his money other than just printing more of it. It depresses me how many people my age are calling for him to be guillotined after the recent spacex launch. Yes, he could have used that money for other things, but it's his own company, he's not the government. Why can't we get excited about people innovating anymore? It always has to have an asterisk next to it of "didn't use this money to feed the poor or whatever".

The average billionaire does more for the world of innovation than Elon Musk, but they don't build a cult of personality around themselves- unlike old Musky whose contributions consist of writing "how is rockett formed" and hogging all the media attention the people who solved the problems garnered.

I say that as somebody who thinks all billionaires need to be shot.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 22:36 on Feb 6, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

My only regular exposure to billionaires is shark tank so maybe I'm not the most informed but I'm pretty sure elon musk is at least a better person than mark cuban.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The impact a person has has nothing to do with whether they are good people. Anyway, you are basically concluding that the more a person appears on TV, the more he's significant for progress.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

The impact a person has has nothing to do with whether they are good people. Anyway, you are basically concluding that the more a person appears on TV, the more he's significant for progress.

Not really. Cubes appears on tv much more often and he's a piece of poo poo who does nothing for humanity.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

The average billionaire does more for the world of innovation than Elon Musk, but they don't build a cult of personality around themselves- unlike old Musky whose contributions consist of writing "how is rockett formed" and hogging all the media attention the people who solved the problems garnered.
I'm with you on this one. Musk's insistence on branding himself as the "real world" Tony Stark and appealing to pop-science teenagers is good business, but leaves a very bad taste in the mouth relative to more objective pieces of poo poo like the Shark Tank crew.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Not really. Cubes appears on tv much more often and he's a piece of poo poo who does nothing for humanity.

The team he owns beat the Heat in the 2011 finals, which is cooler than SpaceX imo

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

The team he owns beat the Heat in the 2011 finals, which is cooler than SpaceX imo

He tried to steal the penguins from pittsburgh and move them to loving oregon which should be an executable offense.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He tried to steal the penguins from pittsburgh and move them to loving oregon which should be an executable offense.

gently caress the Pens.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

gently caress the Pens.

Please do not be rude to the greatest team in NHL history.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Hmm...just thought up a new one!

Expecting politicians to be perfect, unsullied saints with no vices and no skeletons in their closet is absurd. Like sure throw somebody like Roy Moore to the curb but "I did some drugs in college" or "I like to be a bit promiscuous and my spouse is OK with it" should not immediate disqualify somebody from office. In American politics right now the only real crime is getting caught.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hmm...just thought up a new one!

Expecting politicians to be perfect, unsullied saints with no vices and no skeletons in their closet is absurd. Like sure throw somebody like Roy Moore to the curb but "I did some drugs in college" or "I like to be a bit promiscuous and my spouse is OK with it" should not immediate disqualify somebody from office. In American politics right now the only real crime is getting caught.

I agree with this. People keep harping on Trump's adultery and other unsavory habits, but those aren't what makes him a bad president, it's basically everything else.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I agree with this. People keep harping on Trump's adultery and other unsavory habits, but those aren't what makes him a bad president, it's basically everything else.

In this case people are harping on his sexual assault, not promiscuity. Hell I’d put money on a survey that people in favour of consensual open relationships and single promiscuity are the exact same people most appalled by sexual assault boasts.

And I agree that billionaires are cool when they put their billions to good use, but Elon Musk is a bad hill to die on. His goal seems to be a personality cult and the venn diagram of his supporters vs alt righters is suspicioisly circular

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

The main issue there is (in addition to the sexual assaults) that he used campaign money to pay one them off. That used to be an issue.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And I agree that billionaires are cool when they put their billions to good use, but Elon Musk is a bad hill to die on. His goal seems to be a personality cult and the venn diagram of his supporters vs alt righters is suspicioisly circular

Honestly I am not really familiar with his "personality cult" thing and only look at his actions. I think SpaceX is really good, and Tesla is also a good idea. I don't really care who runs it, but I am glad they exist.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

fruit on the bottom posted:

The main issue there is (in addition to the sexual assaults) that he used campaign money to pay one them off. That used to be an issue.

Trump is just a disgustingly awful person all around.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Honestly I am not really familiar with his "personality cult" thing and only look at his actions. I think SpaceX is really good, and Tesla is also a good idea. I don't really care who runs it, but I am glad they exist.

Honestly I’m running on third-hand accounts, so if he’s actually doing good poo poo for the field then good on him. But what I’ve heard is that it’s an expensive ego trip and isn’t really contributing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Musk's views on public transport are loving idiotic and his tunnel plan in LA is literally designed to improve his personal commute.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Bill Murray isn't funny and even if I believed the stories about him like the ones where he eats peoples' fries and walks away, I'd just think he was an unfunny rear end in a top hat.

Dan Akroyd also isn't funny. Ghostbusters was garbage, the sequel was worse, the modern remake was also garbage but in a different, more soulless way than the original.

The only thing funny about either Ghostbusters or Dan Akroyd is how desperate he is to relive his glory days and how oblivious he seems to the fact that he's been shut down by everyone else who made the movie with him.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Honestly I’m running on third-hand accounts, so if he’s actually doing good poo poo for the field then good on him. But what I’ve heard is that it’s an expensive ego trip and isn’t really contributing.

It's possible for SpaceX to both be a huge ego trip and very beneficial. Yeah he's kind of an egotistical buffoon but I really don't have a problem with a rich dude going "wait, they're cutting space funding and slowing down research? gently caress that, space is awesome let's go there!"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Musk's views on public transport are loving idiotic and his tunnel plan in LA is literally designed to improve his personal commute.

That aspect I think is pretty stupid standard "pie in the sky" bullshit, but spaceX is at least producing results. It's the most powerful rocket we've had since the moon landings, which doesn't sound that impressive but it is considering how much the government space program's budget has been slashed to oblivion.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Thank gently caress, I thought I was the only one.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That aspect I think is pretty stupid standard "pie in the sky" bullshit, but spaceX is at least producing results. It's the most powerful rocket we've had since the moon landings, which doesn't sound that impressive but it is considering how much the government space program's budget has been slashed to oblivion.
Much as I dislike Musk I do agree with this line of reasoning. Every time someone goes on about "well why do we even need to fund nerds going to Mars" or w/e I think "well all that materials' science, satellite improvement, and dozens of other weird ancillary inventions/innovations that arrive sure are worth something." Fund a bunch of STEM nerds to cure bone spurs and you'll get incremental progress. Fund a bunch of STEM nerds to become real life Star Trek characters and you'll see them cure cancer by the halfway mark purely by accident.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Alvarez IV posted:

Bill Murray isn't funny and even if I believed the stories about him like the ones where he eats peoples' fries and walks away, I'd just think he was an unfunny rear end in a top hat.

Dan Akroyd also isn't funny. Ghostbusters was garbage, the sequel was worse, the modern remake was also garbage but in a different, more soulless way than the original.

The only thing funny about either Ghostbusters or Dan Akroyd is how desperate he is to relive his glory days and how oblivious he seems to the fact that he's been shut down by everyone else who made the movie with him.

I saw Dan Akroyd last year. He called in an order for a shitload of italian food, at a place my friend works at, and I happened to be blundering by so my friend, the hostess, calls me in.

It’s late afternoon and the restaurant isn’t exactly fabulous, so it’s literally her and a bartender/cook.

Dan walks in and gives the most horrendous, terrified shut in intro I’ve ever heard, gets his brigade-sized order, and leaves. Apparently this was normal and he is just a super sperg who can’t say two sentences without Dahmer vibes.

So my point being, lol Dan Akroyd.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Much as I dislike Musk I do agree with this line of reasoning. Every time someone goes on about "well why do we even need to fund nerds going to Mars" or w/e I think "well all that materials' science, satellite improvement, and dozens of other weird ancillary inventions/innovations that arrive sure are worth something." Fund a bunch of STEM nerds to cure bone spurs and you'll get incremental progress. Fund a bunch of STEM nerds to become real life Star Trek characters and you'll see them cure cancer by the halfway mark purely by accident.

Yeah with that kind of thing my attitude is "why not?". It's certainly a better use of money than just pouring hundreds of billions into military stuff that will never see combat just to line lobbyist pockets. When the space program was started they had no idea what they would need to invent to make it possible, all the cool stuff was just a sideproduct like you say. NASA is probably the most productive government agency in terms of practical innovation that has ever existed and they only get a fraction of a percent of the budget, and older people view them as the main problem with our budget and need to get bigger budget cuts.

Just give 5% of the military's budget to the space program and we'd start doing some truly amazing things instead of making some billionaire do it on his own.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I'm willing to split the difference on Musk in order to please nobody.

I like him because he's super rich. I dislike him because he probably has Autism.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

mind the walrus posted:

The problem with scientific research is that you just plain can't predict it. In America now though we demand profitable returns on scientific advances right loving now. A great deal of science has always been scientists just kind of dicking around not knowing what the gently caress they're doing because that's literally how science works. It's research because it's things we don't know about yet. So much of it is "well we think it'll work this way and these numbers agree but we won't know until we try. Giev :10bux: tia." New ideas are generally not economically feasible until a lot of development goes in.

As to Mars, well...that's simple. Why should we go there? Because it's there. We're human. That's what we do. We looked at Everest and said "Imma climb that fucker."

Of course the other side of science is that like 99% of it is that slow, boring incremental stuff that nobody is excited by. You don't cure cancer over night. You don't go to the moon over night. You don't go to Mars over night. Failures happen along the way but in America we want a guaranteed success that will lead to profit right god damned now. Some things are unprofitable by nature but that doesn't mean that they're bad.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

We've proven time and time again that we have really smart people and the things they design end up doing things that weren't even thought of in the original proposal. Look at the curiosity rover (sidenote: I actually did get to see the thing before it got launched, and was told that no I can't touch it). They design things to guarantee they can do whatever mission it is, but there is so much more else they can do if things go as planned. That's where our money should be going, not to the military who will intentionally screw up development to milk more money out of the government.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

We've proven time and time again that we have really smart people and the things they design end up doing things that weren't even thought of in the original proposal. Look at the curiosity rover (sidenote: I actually did get to see the thing before it got launched, and was told that no I can't touch it). They design things to guarantee they can do whatever mission it is, but there is so much more else they can do if things go as planned. That's where our money should be going, not to the military who will intentionally screw up development to milk more money out of the government.

There weren't guarantees but yeah smart people can make it extremely likely to succeed. The first time we put a thing on Mars was by no means guaranteed but you can get things pretty close. Random things we can't predict could have gone wrong or sometimes, well, poo poo just breaks with no reasonable explanation. Really smart people generally understand that failure happens. I guarantee that the road to the curiosity rover was paved in failure. This component was engineered wrong, this chunk of code didn't work right, this doohickie was bigger than we thought so now we have to make changes...

...and that's fine. You get ideas, you test things, and you fix what went wrong and do it better next time. Every time something doesn't go quite right you get the team together and say "hey how do we fix this?" Science includes words like "experiment" and "discovery" for reasons.

But that drat Mars rover only cost tax dollars and didn't directly affect a number on the bottom of my spreadsheet this quarter so it's bad and wrong.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Yeah I wasn't trying to say curiosity was just their first shot and they nailed it, it is incremental but what it has done is an amazing success that even the most optimistic scientist on the project would never have predicted. Look at the Spitzer telescope too - it's busted and has no coolant anymore but people including me are still using it to do science.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
American cops and their defenders are literally the worst and, if I may take a brief stand atop this soapbox, they embody the exact opposite of "american values"

"He was some kind of foreign, and had different beliefs than me, and might have had a weapon!!"-both the description of an ideal american citizen and justification for american cops to execute on sight

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Elon Musk is an opportunist who built Space X to exploit the gutting of NASA, he should be at most begrudgingly tolerated until the much more preferable (efficient and far-reaching) scenario of a well-funded NASA becomes possible.

If it doesn't become possible, it's precisely because of people like Musk who aren't interested in social good unless it can be first milked for personal profit and egomania.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

American cops and their defenders are literally the worst and, if I may take a brief stand atop this soapbox, they embody the exact opposite of "american values"

"He was some kind of foreign, and had different beliefs than me, and might have had a weapon!!"-both the description of an ideal american citizen and justification for american cops to execute on sight
As a corollary if you are of Irish-American/Italian-American descent and use the fact that your great-great-great grandparents suffered persecution in the mid-19th Century as an attempt to obfuscate the massive blocks of institutional racism in the US, I personally want to drop a heavy bag of sand two stories onto your genitals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Pretty much nobody in politics is in favor (or at least would vote in favor) of funding nasa a lot more. There are too many closed minded people out there that just say but what about poverty etc so no politician will ever campaign on it. It would be better than letting corporations do it, i agree, but as things stand i would rather have nasa and spacex than nasa on its own.