Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Avalerion posted:

For something else then, should I hold off on unlocking some quickening licenses for later ones? Like Balthier has one right near the start but there is no license locked behind it, while one of Fran’s has spells.

Yeah, you can only get 3 of your 4 quickening tiles and most jobs have 3 of them lock something off (others have more or less but regardless it's something you have to plan around).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
The answer will almost always be "because I like the sound of it better", not much else reason for it. If you don't think it sounds better, then congrats.

fridge corn posted:

I could only understand it if the english voice acting was particularly bad and since the japanese sounds like gibberish you wouldn't be able to tell how bad it was or not

It's basically this, yes. Or sometimes the inflections just sound appealing when you don't know the words/context of the language. It's usually just preferring a language because of those inflections or "how it sounds" versus another.

Your Computer posted:

Gibberish comment aside, you really don't need to be fluent in a language to tell if it's bad acting or not. Especially not if you're a drat weeb you have some exposure to the language.

There's a lot you can pick up on in a language even if you can't understand everything or speak it yourself.

This is also kind of true but it's usually not very easy when it's very unfamiliar. And even if the acting is bad for both languages and you can identify it, it doesn't really change preferring one set of sounds over another.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Ainsley McTree posted:

How important is stealing in FFXII? I usually find that to be the boringest part of any FF game so hopefully I can not bother with it and not have it be a big thing. I'm not planning to do any of the superhard endgame stuff so I imagine I'm ok to coast, but if this game hides, like, summons behind stealing from random trash mooks or something, then I guess I oughta know.

Later in the game (near the end) you’ll unlock new rare game monsters that disappear when killed but can be farmed for materials that would otherwise be extraordinarily tedious to get. Just spawn, steal, run away, spawn etc, etc.

On a somewhat related note, you might want to look into the bazaar trick. Really cuts down on a lot of bullshit.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

ROFL Octopus posted:

Later in the game (near the end) you’ll unlock new rare game monsters that disappear when killed but can be farmed for materials that would otherwise be extraordinarily tedious to get. Just spawn, steal, run away, spawn etc, etc.

On a somewhat related note, you might want to look into the bazaar trick. Really cuts down on a lot of bullshit.

What's the bazaar trick?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Sakurazuka posted:

Who'd notice the difference?

"Yuna's gonna sacrifice herself to save everyone!!" "Shut up baby, I know it."

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Elephant Ambush posted:

What's the bazaar trick?

If you turn in materials that overlap recipes with two or more items at the same time then the materials will count for both. Best use of it is making the Tournesol and Masamune at the same time. Both require Gemsteels which are quite rare. You'd need five if you make each individually but if you turn in the three needed for the Tournesol at the same time as the rest of the materials plus those for the Masamune you can get both to pop at the same time.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Avalerion posted:

I don't get playing a game in Japanese unless you actually speak it, any benefit of "better voice acting" would just be lost to if it all sounds like gibberish.

It depends how bad the English VA is. I’d rather have pleasant voices I don’t understand accompanied by subtitles than listen to bad reads in English.

XII is alright though

E: oops, oldquoting

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I'd rather have Chaos Wars or Sonic Heroes level bad that's understandable than have to split attention when things are happening

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MMF Freeway posted:

If you turn in materials that overlap recipes with two or more items at the same time then the materials will count for both. Best use of it is making the Tournesol and Masamune at the same time. Both require Gemsteels which are quite rare. You'd need five if you make each individually but if you turn in the three needed for the Tournesol at the same time as the rest of the materials plus those for the Masamune you can get both to pop at the same time.
Of course, the Tournesol isn't that great and also you can get unlimited numbers in TZA because they added Trial Mode (Is there anything at all that's limited quantity? Another of those things I'd have to look up) so it still might not be worth it.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Of course, the Tournesol isn't that great and also you can get unlimited numbers in TZA because they added Trial Mode (Is there anything at all that's limited quantity? Another of those things I'd have to look up) so it still might not be worth it.

I believe the genji gloves are the most noticeable limited and missable item. There’s two in the game but there’s no indication on how to get them in-game. Technically you can steal them in the final trial but it doesn’t carry one.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'd rather have Animal Crossing/Celeste-style dubs and emoticon subs.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypmnkIPcaOc

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I mean outside of specific encounters where you want to take advantage of ele weaknesses its like the third best thing to hit stuff with behind the masamune and zodiac spear (not including like the wyrmhero sword). If you have a knight its well worth it, plus it looks cool as hell. Also its way easier to make it than stealing it from the lvl 100 trial encounter.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MMF Freeway posted:

I mean outside of specific encounters where you want to take advantage of ele weaknesses its like the third best thing to hit stuff with behind the masamune and zodiac spear (not including like the wyrmhero sword). If you have a knight its well worth it, plus it looks cool as hell. Also its way easier to make it than stealing it from the lvl 100 trial encounter.
Counterpoint: I have farmed Hell's-Gate Flames or whatever they're called twice in my life already (but you're not wrong I'm just fed up with flaming dogs)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Heh yeah that is definitely one of the worst materials to farm. I've made the Tournesol three times now and will probably make it a forth idk I find it kinda fun.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
How hard is trial mode in XII? I keep looking at loot lists and seeing a lot of stuff on there that's real good.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Starts out very easy and scales into some of the hardest encounters in the game.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

MMF Freeway posted:

Heh yeah that is definitely one of the worst materials to farm. I've made the Tournesol three times now and will probably make it a forth idk I find it kinda fun.

It is very fun but I’m also the kind of person that likes to completely fill out the bestiary

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

seiferguy posted:

How hard is trial mode in XII? I keep looking at loot lists and seeing a lot of stuff on there that's real good.

Depends on your average party level. You'll hit a lot of walls until you steal all the best stuff.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Elephant Ambush posted:

Depends on your average party level. You'll hit a lot of walls until you steal all the best stuff.

I saw that the Nihopalaoa is available at floor 70 to steal. I'm only around level 40 and got to the Sochen Cave. I'm kind of annoyed since every guide says "use Nihopalaoa + remedy" on every hunt.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Those guides are probably just copypastes from the original version where a nihopalaoa was available much earlier. Its appropriately placed in the late game now so a guide shouldn't expect you to have one until the late game hunts.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, and to be fair, it's not like most hunts are hard. Every hunt generally has at least one or two status ailments they're vulnerable to, so I just end up setting up a gambit to cast that against them.

Edit: just found a ps4 guide that shows how to manipulate the cerobi steppe RNG for loot. I'm going to waste a lot of time doing this.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

Tournesol is good but against anything that isn't resistant/immune to Holy, White Robe boosted Excalibur is much better.

The best hammer, Vrscika, is sorta mediocre as far as top weapons go, but the damage formula for axes/hammers gains more from defense breaking the target than other weapon types. It's only potentially relevant for a couple long fights, but breaking Hellwrym/etc from ~36 defense down to ~3 defense brings Vrscika roughly into the top 3 category.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

lobster22221 posted:

It could be a lot worse. A HA HA HA HA HA HA.

people who think that was bad voice acting are a bunch of loving idiots. the scene in which tidus is supposed to sound awkward and fake has voice acting that sounds awkward and fake???

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

people who think that was bad voice acting are a bunch of loving idiots. the scene in which tidus is supposed to sound awkward and fake has voice acting that sounds awkward and fake???

What if I understood the point of the scene but I still hate it

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's been a while since I played FFVI but I think reading the same debates about the FFX laughing scene over and over is how Kefka lost his mind

Mega64
May 23, 2008

IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE BAD!

...Then why are some surprised that people are making fun of it for being bad? When has "It's supposed to be bad" been some magical excuse that prevents people from criticizing anything awkward and dumb?

Besides Tidus laughing like a loving moron is hilarious, of course I'm going to find it amusing that the dumb sports guy is laughing like the braindead moron he is.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FFX and its voice acting is extremely good.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Actually I believe Kefka was crazy because, like Sephiroth, he was experimented on in the womb, this time with magic, and came out wrong.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mega64 posted:

IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE BAD!

...Then why are some surprised that people are making fun of it for being bad? When has "It's supposed to be bad" been some magical excuse that prevents people from criticizing anything awkward and dumb?

Besides Tidus laughing like a loving moron is hilarious, of course I'm going to find it amusing that the dumb sports guy is laughing like the braindead moron he is.

*scraping nails on a chalkboard*

It’s SUPPOSED to be annoying you morons!!!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mega64 posted:

IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE BAD!

The argument is that it's an example of bad VAing. Being bad period is a completely different thing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Tae posted:

The argument is that it's an example of bad VAing. Being bad period is a completely different thing.

Yeah, I can agree with that issue being dumb since the VA did a stand-up job making Tidus sound like the buffoon he is in the majority of the game, excluding the narration of course.

Sincerely not knocking the VA either, or really any of the voices between the utterly poo poo voice direction Square's famous for having, the insane restrictions they had to work with, and of course being one of the first games to really go in on voice acting. I respect the hell out of those people for giving it the best they could give with what they have. Tidus still sounds like a moron when he fake laughs, though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The principal cast of FFX are all pros who have done a good job whenever they’ve reprised their roles in subsequent games. FFX’s oddities mostly come from the English VA having to perfectly match the Japanese dub and that FFX was really the first game of its scope to ever incorporate fully voiced dialogue, a now almost ubiquitous feature in RPGs with a budget bigger than $5.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The acting in that scene was good. Sorry if you don't like good things.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Mega64 posted:

IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE BAD!

I too enjoy being disingenuous just to argue against something no one is saying

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If you people keep having to make excuses for foreign dubs when the superior original native Japanese language sounds transcendent, then maybe you need to accept that Western audiences simply lack the ability and the range to put the level of depth and subtlety into their characters that the Japanese do, so drunk are you on your soulless mass media and endless greed for pop culture. The Japanese culture is one of profound feeling and respect for the true nature of being, they have not cut themselves off from nature as the West has, and so they have developed a natural passion in their voices and a vigor for life that "voice actors" in America can do naught but a poor imitation of.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Gologle posted:

If you people keep having to make excuses for foreign dubs when the superior original native Japanese language sounds transcendent, then maybe you need to accept that Western audiences simply lack the ability and the range to put the level of depth and subtlety into their characters that the Japanese do, so drunk are you on your soulless mass media and endless greed for pop culture. The Japanese culture is one of profound feeling and respect for the true nature of being, they have not cut themselves off from nature as the West has, and so they have developed a natural passion in their voices and a vigor for life that "voice actors" in America can do naught but a poor imitation of.

I play all JRPGs with the original VA and turn off subtitles. I don’t even need to know what the characters are saying, the purity of essence in their sonorous voices is enough to understand.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

I too enjoy being disingenuous just to argue against something no one is saying

This is me more going off on a tangent than really responding to anything that's been mentioned here and taking advantage of the direction of conversation to go off on a personal pet peeve of mine, mainly anything that's intentionally bad should be immune to criticism.

I know 90% of my posts here are stupid smartass quips but I wouldn't be posting in this thread if it wasn't full of good and interesting posters with sometimes great insight that gives me new perspectives on these dumb video games. Even Gologle.

Gologle posted:

Especially Gologle.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Mega64 posted:

mainly anything that's intentionally bad should be immune to criticism.

the scene isn't supposed to be bad, so it's not immune to critiscism. But criticising the VA's for doing a forced, weird, moronic laugh when the scene called for a forced, weird, moronic laugh is just dumb. Some people do this because they apparently don't understand what's going on or something, who knows, i've always felt that debate odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
I used it as an example because it is a famous one. While the laughing itself is supposed to be bad, the scene around it is still is not good. Regarding whether or not the bad dumb is because of the actors or the voice director(it probably is the latter. Like people mentioned, there are some really good voice actors in the English version), it doesn't change the fact that I disliked the voice overs presented by the game.