Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

garfield hentai posted:

Also Groening didn't like it because his name was supposed to be Louis Lane

That’s even worse. Giving him a boring generic name at least has a tiny bit of humor to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Old timey names are always funny.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

garfield hentai posted:

Also Groening didn't like it because his name was supposed to be Louis Lane

lmao

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I remember all week they were showing promos "they're finally gonna reveal Comic Book Guy's real name" and I was so excited. then the episode aired and Lisa asked "what's your name?" and he said "Jeff Albertson" and that was it

I was like wtf that's it? that was one of my earliest memories of being disillusioned with the simpsons

It was a thing where I think they were at a city hall and the mayor is like Yes I'll take a question from you, what's your name and he goes Jeff Albertson but everybody calls me Comic Book Guy and that his name is just unremarkable is the joke

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Yeah, it's kind of like at the end of "Behind the Laughter" where they just throw out off-hand that Springfield is in Northern Kentucky.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yeah, it's kind of like at the end of "Behind the Laughter" where they just throw out off-hand that Springfield is in Northern Kentucky.

There were multiple versions of that episode that had different lines for that.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

muscles like this! posted:

There were multiple versions of that episode that had different lines for that.

:monocle:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Data Graham posted:

What I always have to remind myself is that when the Simpsons debuted it was a cartoon. A prime-time cartoon for grown-ups, but a cartoon.

Seasons 1 and 2 were as much about the silly wacky animation as they were about the jokes and character development. It was really only after S3 and the Film Roman switch that they started leaning a lot heavier on the cerebral verbal humor and we entered the period when most of the memes and memorable gags come from. Before that you got tons of laughs purely from oddball Groening character designs and off-the-wall animation antics, Warner Bros./MGM style.

I'm having trouble thinking of much of anything from season 2 that fits this description, other than "Bart the Daredevil" with Truckasaurus and Homer failing to jump the gorge, which works precisely because it's a parody of classic cartoons and, in a subversive twist, Homer gets graphically injured and hospitalized.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lmao at "Grade School Confidential", where the very idea of someone admitting to being a virgin at 43 years old was so unthinkable that it forms the basis for total exoneration.

Now we have incels and volcels

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Data Graham posted:

Now we have incels and incels in denial

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Ein cooler Typ posted:

that's not an uncommon thing

he calls her grandma Flanders because he's Rod and Todd's grandma

doesn't Marge call Abe grandpa Simpson

Ned's mother is a beatnik, this is canon :colbert:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

HELLO JOE.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Now now, the actors that play the Simpsons are from northern Kentucky, but the show is set in North Tacoma

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Still waiting for the episode where they continue the 'remember the classics?' trend and find out Homer has yet more middle name to reveal.

Homer Jayson Simpson

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Homer Jay For Forty Simpson

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Homer Jay O. Simpson

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Homer Jay Sherman Simpson

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Data Graham posted:

Lmao at "Grade School Confidential", where the very idea of someone admitting to being a virgin at 43 years old was so unthinkable that it forms the basis for total exoneration.
Strictly speaking, it was pretending to be one that was unthinkable.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Homer Gay. Simpson

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Communist Walrus posted:

Homer Jay Sherman Simpson

It stinks

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

that's not an uncommon thing

he calls her grandma Flanders because he's Rod and Todd's grandma

doesn't Marge call Abe grandpa Simpson

Sounds like an upstate new york expression.

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Ned's mother is a beatnik, this is canon :colbert:

Freaky beatniks.

Thuneral
Jul 25, 2004
High Listener For Music Awful

Season 2 on was the lowest this show ever dropped.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

504 posted:

Homer Gay. Simpson

Homer gay. So what.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Thuneral posted:

Season 2 on was the lowest this show ever dropped.

:wrong:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Olympics have reminded me that there was an episode where Homer and Marge start curling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUP8lFwpN7E

Marge is really good at it because of broom-sweeping muscles and they go to the Olympics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffUcVd7eNpo

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
edit: nvm

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They don't bother filling the background with as many extras anymore, so you might see random B teamers in the background.

Why design a whole new character when you can just put Apu in there? Oh yeah, because it's distracting.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

PostNouveau posted:

They don't bother filling the background with as many extras anymore, so you might see random B teamers in the background.

Why design a whole new character when you can just put Apu in there? Oh yeah, because it's distracting.

Watch the first two seasons it's delightful how funny the background characters look, since they're all essentially Bart but with longer hair or Homer but drawn with the left hand

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
"He's right!"

"Give us hell, Quimby!"

I miss the normal crowd extras.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Calaveron posted:

Watch the first two seasons it's delightful how funny the background characters look, since they're all essentially Bart but with longer hair or Homer but drawn with the left hand

Recently watched the Christmas Special on VHS and it’s cool to see all these characters who were later fleshed out and given personalities were also present in the pilot episode.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The background characters in season 1/2 would creep me out as a kid since they look so weird and out of place.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My parents had a copy of Season 1 on DVD, I may have to pilfer it

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
reminder if you have one of the big cable providers you can watch every episode on that website

man, a lot of little touches and jokes I didn't get as a kid

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

There’s an app you can also watch it on called fxnow which has every episode. They make you watch commercials, but if you are quick enough you can skip past them. I’ve been watching the original seasons and I’m amazed at just how much heart were in those episodes.

Though anyone that said homer was never that dumb is really wrong.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

really queer Christmas posted:

There’s an app you can also watch it on called fxnow which has every episode. They make you watch commercials, but if you are quick enough you can skip past them. I’ve been watching the original seasons and I’m amazed at just how much heart were in those episodes.

yeah! the new episodes aren't even worth discussing; they are so bad as to be unwatchable. i could sit through an episode of 2 broke girls or 2 and a half men and i might laugh once or twice. i don't think i could sit through another full episode of whatever the simpsons IS at this point.

like when CPS takes away the kids, that episode has a ton of heart and emotions and its funny and clever.

stupid babies need the most attention!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Pelosi de Bundi posted:

yeah! the new episodes aren't even worth discussing; they are so bad as to be unwatchable. i could sit through an episode of 2 broke girls or 2 and a half men and i might laugh once or twice. i don't think i could sit through another full episode of whatever the simpsons IS at this point.

like when CPS takes away the kids, that episode has a ton of heart and emotions and its funny and clever.

stupid babies need the most attention!

I have no qualms admitting I’ve teared up at several episodes. Homer and the kids having true genuine moments is some great poo poo.

Also, as someone who only remembers new Lisa, holy poo poo was her character just completely destroyed.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

really queer Christmas posted:

My view is that he became more psychotic and aggressively villainous at arbitrary times, whether or not he actually became dumber. In the old days he was just basically a nice guy who was incredibly vulnerable to just about every possible vice. He did bad things because he was tempted incredibly easily, and could be tricked into almost anything. As it went on it seems like they stopped coming up with outside reasons and just made Homer weirdly manic on top of all that so he just started doing insane and stupid stuff for absolutely no reason except to be wacky and obnoxious.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Martman posted:

My view is that he became more psychotic and aggressively villainous at arbitrary times, whether or not he actually became dumber. In the old days he was just basically a nice guy who was incredibly vulnerable to just about every possible vice. He did bad things because he was tempted incredibly easily, and could be tricked into almost anything. As it went on it seems like they stopped coming up with outside reasons and just made Homer weirdly manic on top of all that so he just started doing insane and stupid stuff for absolutely no reason except to be wacky and obnoxious.

it's this exactly

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The last time I voluntarily watched new Simpsons was when I watched a couple of random episodes from whatever season was newest at the time. 24, I think.

In one episode, Lisa met a celebrity guest star who was down on their luck, but Lisa's recognition of their talent inspired and reinvigorated them. With her support, they got their career back together, and started touring the US with Lisa in tow. Marge was wary that Lisa was just gonna end up getting hurt, but Lisa insisted on ditching whatever her current responsibilities were and going on the tour. Eventually the celebrity guest star got sick of Lisa and gradually pushed her out of the spotlight, until the final confrontation where it's revealed that celebrities aren't great people and shouldn't be your role models. Lisa realizes Marge is the most inspiring woman in her life and she goes back to Springfield and the two reconcile.

In the other episode, Lisa met a celebrity guest star who was down on their luck, but Lisa's recognition of their talent inspired and reinvigorated them. With her support, they got their career back together, and started touring the US with Lisa in tow. Marge was wary that Lisa was just gonna end up getting hurt, but Lisa insisted on ditching whatever her current responsibilities were and going on the tour. Eventually the celebrity guest star got sick of Lisa and gradually pushed her out of the spotlight, until the final confrontation where it's revealed that celebrities aren't great people and shouldn't be your role models. Lisa realizes Marge is the most inspiring woman in her life and she goes back to Springfield and the two reconcile.

One was a hobo, the other was dating Moe. I wanna say they both were some kind of jazz/cabaret musician, but I honestly don't remember. I'm sure there are many worse episodes out there, but that was the day I realized the Simpsons were well and truly dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
For me it's when there was a badger in the dog kennel. Bart and Lisa tell Homer there's a badger in the dog kennel and Homer disbelieves them believing it's probably just Milhouse so they force Homer into some comedy violence against him. I noticed they kept on doing that, coming up with really convoluted reasons for Homer to do so physical comedy and just having Homer just scream a whole bunch, instead of y'know writing jokes. Maybe it's just me but I don't think physical comedy of that nature really works all that well in cartoons, or maybe it does and it was just crap in the Simpsons.

But yeah, the badger in the dog kennel was round the time I started noticing that the Simpsons wasn't really the same anymore. Also when the tv announcer started referring the Simpsons as Homer and the Simpsons.