Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Weird, we’d call that a double cab on this side of the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

gimpsuitjones posted:

I guess a quadcab is the pickup with 4 doors and a full-sized bed while a crewcab is a cab that intrudes into the normal bed space.
Nobody in the US says doublecab though.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

gimpsuitjones posted:

We'd also call it a crew cab here, if that's any more confusing. I think it depends on what brand of truck you are used to, Ford called it one thing, Dodge another. Single cab/regular cab is another one.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Quad Cab is a total legit thing I hear in the south for a crew cab pickup

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
When my parents got their Ram in 2005 we called it a quad cab. 4 doors, as much interior space as a car.

Only time I've heard "double cab" was in reference to ACVWs though, in contrast to their single cab.

Single cab:

Double cab:

Also all pickups should have fold-down bed sides :colbert:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
My GMC has a double cab. It's the old "Extended Cab" option. Regular cab, double cab, crew cab.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dual-cab is the usual name for those in Australia

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

One more and I'll stop. My F-150 has four doors, but isn't a double or quad or crew cab. It's not an extended cab either. They call it, the Supercab <insert jazz hands here>. Those suicide doors aren't fooling anyone, Ford.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Some folks calls it a sling cab but I calls it a kaiser cab,... Mmmmhm,......

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My 1992 Chevy S10 is a Sierra Cab, but then GM decided to make the GMC Sierra with a later version of the truck, so using the term for an extended cab was abandoned.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
If it's not a regular cab then it's a SUV with an identity crisis.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fermented Tinal posted:

If it's not a regular cab then it's a SUV with an identity crisis.

Here in the US small Japanese pickups never came with more than two doors so it's ~exotic~ in that way, but mostly because the thing is pristine.
Since you're here though check this out:

That mileage :eyepop:

KakerMix posted:

Why Element when you can 4WD turbo diesel van???

Almost completely perfect option-wise. 5 speed manual, turbo diesel 4x4 WITH Skylite roof. No A/C :negative:

EDIT
Here is the sheet info translated:

This ended up selling for $1710.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

That mileage :eyepop:

1HZ cockroach.

E: I wonder what the PO did for a living, drive up and down the main island every day?

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 7, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fermented Tinal posted:

1HZ cockroach.

E: I wonder what the PO did for a living, drive up and down the main island every day?

Dunno but there is some sort of cage in the back, you can see it on the center console there and through the rear windows. Maybe they transported dogs or something in the back.

I put in a bid for 160000 yen on this, it sold to someone else for 199000. It would have cost me about $450 bucks just to get it to port in Japan before it even got on the boat because of it's location hence my low bid.

Short wheelbase 2.8 L turbo diesel with a 5 speed. Low mileage, cool graphics (ROADSTAR) and includes it's center wheel caps #wow. Claimed to have some sort of hosed up evaporative cooler rather than a proper A/C system which is blowing my mind since this one is a 91 and mine is an 85 and I have real-deal actual A/C.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 8, 2018

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

KakerMix posted:

Dunno but there is some sort of cage in the back, you can see it on the center console there and through the rear windows. Maybe they transported dogs or something in the back.

I put in a bid for 160000 yen on this, it sold to someone else for 199000. It would have cost me about $450 bucks just to get it to port in Japan before it even got on the boat because of it's location hence my low bid.

Short wheelbase 2.8 L turbo diesel with a 5 speed. Low mileage, cool graphics (ROADSTAR) and includes it's center wheel caps #wow. Claimed to have some sort of hosed up evaporative cooler rather than a proper A/C system which is blowing my mind since this one is a 91 and mine is an 85 and I have real-deal actual A/C.

As someone who purchased a car with the term "cooler" used and thinking it meant a/c. Cooler is usually just how Japanese people say dealer installed air conditioning. They use factory parts but it is not original.

That's what the van has.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

As someone who purchased a car with the term "cooler" used and thinking it meant a/c. Cooler is usually just how Japanese people say dealer installed air conditioning. They use factory parts but it is not original.

That's what the van has.

I figured it was something like this, hence 'claimed'. Either way it got away from me so I won't ever know. :(

However, have you ever seen an Isuzu Trooper Bighorn with factory Recaros?

It doesn't say but this is one of these, a 1990 Isuzu Trooper Bighorn Irmscher R Turbo-Diesel. Mileage is high, has rust but looks super cool.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Heh, a guy I know is selling his Kei car

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1539876804

same car also led to this

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KakerMix posted:

I figured it was something like this, hence 'claimed'. Either way it got away from me so I won't ever know. :(

However, have you ever seen an Isuzu Trooper Bighorn with factory Recaros?

It doesn't say but this is one of these, a 1990 Isuzu Trooper Bighorn Irmscher R Turbo-Diesel. Mileage is high, has rust but looks super cool.

This sold for 365,000 yen, 3350 USD. A bit high for what I would pay with something that has torn seats and rust on it but still a neat truck.

slothrop posted:

lol at the Fellow Dead Tomato

Just got my water pump, tensioner, timing and serpentine belts along with a couple oil and an air filter in for the Crown. I've never done anything as complicated engine-wise as a timing belt and water pump but lol that's a good-rear end reason why I'm driving poo poo I can't easily pay someone else to service here. Forces me to learn.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

slothrop posted:

I am bad at reading please ignore.

Lord of Garbagemen fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 8, 2018

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I would be interested in buying this, have someone to sell it to already. Would your friend be willing to work with a US buyer?
If you buy one from NZ, aren't you paying your own transport and importation costs on top of those the original buyer paid getting it from Japan? Or is the pricing still reasonable compared to a direct import yourself?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

InitialDave posted:

If you buy one from NZ, aren't you paying your own transport and importation costs on top of those the original buyer paid getting it from Japan? Or is the pricing still reasonable compared to a direct import yourself?

His cost for the unit is reasonable (if not low) if the description and pictures are accurate. I would pay shipping (and any export fees) he just has to get it to the boat. Japan wants around 4,000+ USD for Alto Works right now that look like those pictures and description. I would save a bunch by skipping JCD's fees.

My main concern would be the bubbling, it is hard to find the performance tiny keis that don't have an excess of rust.

edit: I messed up I missed the part where it was FWD, just assumed it was an RS/R with the badges removed. RIP A RONI

Lord of Garbagemen fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 8, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Just got my water pump, tensioner, timing and serpentine belts along with a couple oil and an air filter in for the Crown. I've never done anything as complicated engine-wise as a timing belt and water pump but lol that's a good-rear end reason why I'm driving poo poo I can't easily pay someone else to service here. Forces me to learn.

Get a cam locker or rig one up for the timing belt change, makes things easier and keeps you from loving up the timing.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Get a cam locker or rig one up for the timing belt change, makes things easier and keeps you from loving up the timing.

Might pick one of those up yeah, I did have to order a new tensioner because I spaced and didn't realize I didn't order it along with the pulley.

Tonight's auction is running way late but I've got a bid set for this guy:

1987 Isuzu Bighorn Irmscher, 2.8 liter turbo diesel, 4x4 (of course) with A/C and an LSD with it's factory Recaro racing seats. No intercooler since this is an earlier model so no hood scoop, cracked fog light and a tear in the driver's seat but it's 1 owner, in excellent shape with 74k miles (around 120k km). I'll be asleep when the auction goes so we'll see if my bid wins it or not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Where are you putting all of these things?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rhyno posted:

Where are you putting all of these things?

I'm going through the process of becoming a dealer, which in Florida means you need a non-residential lot of some kind. I'm going to get a warhouse-type place so I can put all these indoors, and a requirement is some sort of office space as well. Plus I'll have a garage once in my life!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KakerMix posted:

The Hijet never felt any slower with stuff inside, it was just a tiny torquey little guy. I bet it would be exactly as fast as normal with a bike in the back. Which is to say, not at all.

A quad-cab Datsun 5 speed 4x4 former-firetruck pickup with under 5k miles on it. Be curious to see the price on this, it doesn't have AC and isn't diesel so I'm not interested but man, looks super good otherwise.

Sold for $3140

KakerMix posted:

Might pick one of those up yeah, I did have to order a new tensioner because I spaced and didn't realize I didn't order it along with the pulley.

Tonight's auction is running way late but I've got a bid set for this guy:

1987 Isuzu Bighorn Irmscher, 2.8 liter turbo diesel, 4x4 (of course) with A/C and an LSD with it's factory Recaro racing seats. No intercooler since this is an earlier model so no hood scoop, cracked fog light and a tear in the driver's seat but it's 1 owner, in excellent shape with 74k miles (around 120k km). I'll be asleep when the auction goes so we'll see if my bid wins it or not.

Didn't win this one, it went for just a hair under 6500 bucks. If I'm going to pay that much money on something I'm going to try to sell it doesn't make any sense to go that high for an Isuzu when that's good Landcrusier money.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Um yeah, no one around here is going to want an Isuzu don't even bother. If you stick with Toyotas you'll sell them no prob.

[e] You should take a shot at some of the Japanese Jeeps too, people around here love Jeeps.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Toms turbo garage went and visited Duncan Imports in his latest video. Man there’s some odd imports in that collection!

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Got the Suzuki sold yesterday. Guy owns an auction house in a small town in southern oregon. Gonna wrap it with his logo and drive it around town every once and a while. Made a 16.8% profit on it. 14.5% on the Daihatsu when it sold.

The van and the subaru come in on friday will update.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Let's have a look and see what cars I was able to find this weekend, casually walking around my neighbourhood in Vancouver, BC, the Delica Capital of the World™.

Oh look it's a Delica Chamonix. I'm sure these relatively newer ones are technically better than the boxy ones but they don't have that boxy charm.

I... don't know what this is, but it's right hand drive!

Oh good one of the boxy Delicas. I think this one was a Super Exceed.

Cute! It's a Pao

TURBO EVERY

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
#2 is a Toyota Carib. AWD Corolla wagon, 4AGE.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Femtosecond posted:

I... don't know what this is, but it's right hand drive!

In the U.S. these were sold as the Corolla All-Trac. It's an AE95 I believe and maybe called the Toyota Carib in Japan.

edit: I was a bit slow on that.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Is it an interesting enough car to import? Seemed like the odd one out to me.

Usually you see people importing cars because they fit a need that isn't met by local automobiles (ie. No 4wd adventure vans = import a Delica!)

I also spotted a Hilux Surf, but it wasn't very interesting so I didn't take a photo of it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Femtosecond posted:

Usually you see people importing cars because they fit a need that isn't met by local automobiles (ie. No 4wd adventure vans = import a Delica!)

I also spotted a Hilux Surf, but it wasn't very interesting so I didn't take a photo of it.

that is very interesting to lots of us weirdos

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Femtosecond posted:

I wouldn't say we have a lot of Caribs in AB, but we have a few. Every so often you see late-80s/early-90s JDMs in Canada just so they could get a rust-free shell.

At my old condo, a neighbour used to have three JDM EG Civic base models with immaculate bodies.

Hilux Surfs are pretty common - even though we got 4Runners - for the same reason.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 13, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Femtosecond posted:

Great pics.
And yeah man it can be an interesting enough car to import. Japanese market stuff is usually in phenomenal shape because of their Shaken and no salt on their roads, compare that to what you'd normally get in Canada and it seems like a pretty easy choice. Especially because I bet that Carib was less than 2 grand at auction if not under 1500. Throw in 3~ grand more for transport and registration and insurance and whatever other incidentals and you can have a wonderful condition Toyota 4wheel drive wagon.

The 25 year rule here in the US does kinda guarantee that whatever is imported is going to be in classic territory. A 25 year old Hilux slots right into the best Japan had to offer so would get hella props, especially with the rad decals that you could get. If the Hilux is diesel then forget about it friendo that poo poo is gold.

Late edit:

:swoon:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 14, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Man I didn't know Silvias could be so fukkin' COOL

http://www.kurumakakuyasu.net/detai...=ASC&maxrows=30

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

If you think that's cool, you should modify a Suzuki Cervo.

Sadly, the amphetamine dream that is the Isuzu Bellett MX1600 concept never came to fruition.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KakerMix posted:

Showa era 52 would put that at what, 1978?

I do love how it's very Nissan of that era, it screams Kenmeri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sadly, the amphetamine dream that is the Isuzu Bellett MX1600 concept never came to fruition.

I shared this with someone on IRC and they started doing a stream-of-consciousness impression of the chemically altered mindset of the people who designed this. A few choice quotes:

code:
12:57 <+Spunky> WE PUT THE HINGES ON BACKWARD? WHO PUT THE HINGES ON BACKWARD?
                gently caress poo poo OK OK WE JUST TELL THEM IT'S A FETURE

12:59 <+Spunky> WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE CAN'T HAVE GULL WINGS? GOD DAMNIT WHY