Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

God yes, let those monkeys fingers curl, I was getting worried that nerds wouldn't get to behold the glory of the true flaying of Star Wars :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Get Ernest Cline to write official Star Wars novels, and Star Wars will be a beacon for poo poo nerd culture (and Rian Johnson).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

GrandpaPants posted:

Get Ernest Cline to write official Star Wars novels, and Star Wars will be a beacon for poo poo nerd culture (and Rian Johnson).
Ernest Cline's Guardians of the Galaxies - the first Marvel Wars Cinematic Universe title.

Lobok posted:

So not Bond, Fast & Furious, Star Wars, Godzilla, Indiana Jones, Spider-Man, Batman...

Has to exclude a lot of stuff that isn't "action" or franchises that have more instalments but started later. I wonder if it's the same as "most successful action franchise continuously headlined by the same actor".

Basebf555 posted:

All of those have had either very long hiatus', or they did at least a "soft" reboot. In the case of Bond and Batman they've had both.
In the case of Bond, not being a Hollywood franchise is the most obvious disqualifier...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
This is the directorial version of stunt casting and I really hope it flops. I couldn’t stand GoT after the first 3 seasons and I can’t wait for its popularity to fade away.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I just hope at least one of these billion Star Warses is going to have a good main alien character because so far the new films have kinda disappointed on that front. It's my favorite part of the setting and the only new speaking alien we've got is Maz.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jar Jar was simply too traumatic.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'd say if they are going to do a ton of start Wars they should really let Lucas make a couple but I don't think he would actually want to

He has no ability to collaborate anymore, at least within the system that he'd have to work in. He'd demand full creative control and there's no way Disney would ever give that to him.

That said, I'd love to see this thing come full circle and have fans beg for the return of Lucas after they get sick of the standard formula, whenever that is. Lucas isn't getting any younger of course, so chances are it won't happen.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Game of Thrones looked pretty great for its budget, I'll give it that. And, uh, Charlie Chaplin's granddaughter is cute. Dinklage is good. That's all I got.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Star Wars..........................................................................................................................is bad

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
So, you like Star Wars eh? Have all the Star Wars in the world!

*4000 hours of Star Wars media later I'm still watching happily.*

I don't understand it. Porg Boy went mad in twenty minutes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really doubt George Lucas would even make a Star Wars movie if you offered it to him. He doesn't seem like someone who is all that interested in actually directing anything and would rather be in charge while someone else does the heavy lifting.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing I was somewhat amazed to learn a short while ago is that In the Heat of the Night had a really successful TV revival in the late 80s which ran for about 10 seasons and won a bunch of Emmys.

I grew up with re-runs of In the Heat of the Night and had no idea that this was based on a movie until today. Weird!

Classic intro theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bebgBmf14TE

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lucas hadn't really done much of anything in terms of film-making after he finished the prequel trilogy, had he? I know he was still active doing behind-the-scenes stuff, but he produced Crystal Skull, he produced Red Tails, and what else did he do?

(I'm genuinely curious.)

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Not only is it based on a movie, the movie has two Tibbs-focused sequels

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Lucas hadn't really done much of anything in terms of film-making after he finished the prequel trilogy, had he? He produced Crystal Skull, he produced Red Tails, what else?

He wrote a largely-panned kid's film
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange_Magic_(film)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

muscles like this! posted:

I really doubt George Lucas would even make a Star Wars movie if you offered it to him. He doesn't seem like someone who is all that interested in actually directing anything and would rather be in charge while someone else does the heavy lifting.
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/960707943871074304
https://twitter.com/craigkoenewho/status/960709967878565888

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tars Tarkas posted:

Not only is it based on a movie, the movie has two Tibbs-focused sequels

They Call Me Mister Tibbs! is pretty good. The Organization is forgettable; Poitier is good in it but that's about it. They're a bit of a shift into more of a Blaxploitation style than In the Heat of the Night was.

There's a couple of scenes I remember from the first one where Tibbs interacts with his son: first he catches him smoking and says, "If you're gonna smoke, at least do it right," and then they share a joint; and later on he learns his son has been fighting his sister so he smacks him in the face until he says he's sorry, which is somewhat less cool.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Lucas hadn't really done much of anything in terms of film-making after he finished the prequel trilogy, had he? I know he was still active doing behind-the-scenes stuff, but he produced Crystal Skull, he produced Red Tails, and what else did he do?

(I'm genuinely curious.)

OutlawVern has your answers!

http://outlawvern.com/2016/02/19/lucas-minus-star-wars-what-have-we-learned/

At the bottom is a list of all the non-Star Wars Lucas projects with Vern's reviews.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

(I'm genuinely curious.)

He didn't really do anything before the prequel trilogy either.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

first he catches him smoking and says, "If you're gonna smoke, at least do it right," and then they share a joint

I think I need to watch In the Heat of the Night. That's remarkably progressive for the protagonist of a non-"hippie" 60s movie, to the point where I don't think you'd ever see it today, even.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I think I need to watch In the Heat of the Night. That's remarkably progressive for the protagonist of a non-"hippie" 60s movie, to the point where I don't think you'd ever see it today, even.

No, that scene's from They Call Me Mister Tibbs! which was from 1970 or so, a few years after In the Heat of the Night. It's a pretty different movie and Poitier is pretty much the only connection, but it's pretty good on its own merits.

You should absolutely watch In the Heat of the Night if you haven't, though, because it's a very good movie: it's one of the movies profiled in Pictures at a Revolution because it was one of the movies nominated for Best Picture in 1967 which was like year zero for New Hollywood (alongside Bonnie & Clyde, The Graduate, Guess Who's Coming To Dinner and odd-one-out Doctor Doolittle).

Martin Landau is in it as a kind of left-wing preacher who I feel like is possibly meant to be an allusion to Jim Jones and the Peoples Temple from when he enjoyed the support of left-wing figures in San Francisco (Harvey Milk, Angela Davis etc.).

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 6, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this! posted:

He didn't really do anything before the prequel trilogy either.

You mean between 1983 and 1999? It's true he didn't direct anything (it's kind of crazy to me that Lucas is credited as a director on a grand total of six movies out of a 40-plus year career) but he was always pretty active in moviemaking.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
"What if slavery was continued after the Empire fell?"

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

I grew up with re-runs of In the Heat of the Night and had no idea that this was based on a movie until today. Weird!

Classic intro theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bebgBmf14TE

Anne-Marie Johnson shows up in Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later and looks barely a day older than she did on Heat of the Night. It's surreal.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like if Lucas had decided to make some more Star Wars but decided he didn't want to direct them, he probably would've gotten someone like Ron Howard to have a crack at it, because those guys go back a long way. :D

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

OutlawVern has your answers!

http://outlawvern.com/2016/02/19/lucas-minus-star-wars-what-have-we-learned/

At the bottom is a list of all the non-Star Wars Lucas projects with Vern's reviews.

I had completely forgotten that Lucas had involvement in Mishima. Which if you haven't seen is loving amazing.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Can't wait for Star Wars to have incest and nudity.

Wait a second...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/961008122255978496

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Mission Impossible, which has been suffering sever diminishing returns

Not really http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=missionimpossible.htm

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Do you adjust for inflation in these sorts of comparisons? MI and MI2 made close to $400Mil adjusted, almost twice what the last two did.

You didn't say 'if you account for inflation, the first and second film were the peak of the series domestically, while the fourth and fifth were on a par world wide, even accounting for inflation.' You said 'severely diminishing returns,' which isn't true. The series has been up and down. It's presently up. Its lowest point was MI3, while 4 and 5 were within spitting distance of each other, suggesting that it can consistently do 600 million at the box office.

And that's not even accounting for the massive changes the entertainment industry has seen in 22 years, and the repeated overhaul of the series.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is the directorial version of stunt casting and I really hope it flops. I couldn’t stand GoT after the first 3 seasons and I can’t wait for its popularity to fade away.

Season 4 was alright. Coincidentally, it was the last season based on a book with a clear beginning, middle and end. It still never got any better than 'good genre fiction'

Spartacus was the better Game of Thrones show anyway.

porfiria posted:

Game of Thrones looked pretty great for its budget, I'll give it that. And, uh, Charlie Chaplin's granddaughter is cute. Dinklage is good. That's all I got.

They spent (and continue to spend) a fortune on it, so you'd hope so.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Snowman_McK posted:

They spent (and continue to spend) a fortune on it, so you'd hope so.

It was expensive as hell, but even so the first seasons were like $80 million a pop or something for like 12 hours which is chump change compared to King Arthur or whatever.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

porfiria posted:

It was expensive as hell, but even so the first seasons were like $80 million a pop or something for like 12 hours which is chump change compared to King Arthur or whatever.

In terms of sets and costumes, though, they probably used about the same number as a given movie. 90% of season 1 takes place in a room in winterfell, a room in kings landing, the throne room, or a tent. There's economies of scale to this stuff, which even applies to movies.

The costuming is crazy impressive, though.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 7, 2018

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Netflix apparently paid $50 million for the rights to the Cloverfield Paradox

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/02/07/how-much-netflix-reportedly-paid-for-the-cloverfield-paradox

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They overpaid.

I mean, they have a shitton of money so it's not like it matters to them, but still. There are much better things they could've chosen to invest in.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

They overpaid.

I mean, they have a shitton of money so it's not like it matters to them, but still. There are much better things they could've chosen to invest in.

Yeah, they could have paid for 2/3 of another Adam Sandler movie with that money.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

$50M for a two-part episode of The Outer Limits? Holy gently caress.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think a big part of the $50 million obviously has to do with the fact that they wanted to pull off this big post-Super Bowl surprise. Establishing the idea that Netflix can just drop a big release on you at any moment was probably worth a lot to them on it's own.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 7, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paramount made the right decision. It probably wouldn’t have made $50 mil from a theatrical release and they’d have to have spent at least a couple million in marketing it for said release.

I think Netflix made the right decision too—The Cloverfield Paradox is probably their best non-documentary exclusive film, and plenty of people are going to watch it despite the (unfair) critical drubbing it’s received because gently caress it, they’re already paying for the subscription.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

I think a big part of the $50 million obviously has to do with the fact that they wanted to pull of this big post-Super Bowl surprise. Establishing the idea that Netflix can just drop a big release on you at any moment was probably worth a lot to them on it's own.

The 30-second spot cost $5 million and NBC neutered the commercial by making it say "coming soon," because they didn't want to take viewership away from This Is Us.

Netflix overpaid.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

The 30-second spot cost $5 million and NBC neutered the commercial by making it say "coming soon," because they didn't want to take viewership away from This Is Us.

Netflix overpaid.

Doesn't matter. A new Cloverfield movie released on Netflix with almost zero notice, who's to say when that will happen again and what it'll be? All the more reason to always have a subscription and not worry about what the month to month selection might be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Basebf555 posted:

Doesn't matter. A new Cloverfield movie released on Netflix with almost zero notice, who's to say when that will happen again and what it'll be? All the more reason to always have a subscription and not worry about what the month to month selection might be.

Exactly this. The past few months I’ve toyed with the idea of cancelling Netflix until the new series of Bojack Horseman comes around, but then they drop The Cloverfield Paradox outta nowhere. I open Netflix for the first time in ages and find that they’ve also got a biopic about the guy from National Lampoon and a movie about Jack Black playing a criminal polka singer and, yeah, ok, I’ll keep the Netflix sub for now.

By the way, I knew nothing about Doug Kenny before I watched A Futile And Stupid Gesture and hooooly poo poo the fake old version of him that pops up across the film THAT NEVER EXISTED BECAUSE HE DIED IN HIS THIRTIES was a brilliant subversion. I can see why the critics didn’t love the movie, because if you know anything about him (and I’m sure most film critics do) the gag is ruined, but I didn’t and I thought it was great.

Overall I thought it was great fun—I especially loved the disclaimers section that played halfway through pointing out all the changes and fabrications they made to the film from real life to make a better film. It was a delicious meta cherry on top of a film that went out of its way to subvert and even mock biopics while still managing to be a good biopic.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 7, 2018