Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Blue Train posted:

My last phone has a 4.5 inch screen and is 5.11x2.6in. it feels like a tiny child's toy now and I could never use something that size again. Big phones are good

This is my take on screen size. When I got my Droid 3 with its 4 inch screen I said, this is huge! I wouldn't want one bigger.

My nexus 6p and pixel 2xl are the best phones I've ever had. Everything else is so tiny. Like a phone for babies.

As an aside, people get mad when you say that about their small baby phones. I don't know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Is GPM playlist playback via Assistant broken for anyone else here?

Up until yesterday, I could ask Assistant to play a playlist. Now it just searches GPM for the artist or song with the name of the playlist...

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 6, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wacky Delly posted:

This is my take on screen size. When I got my Droid 3 with its 4 inch screen I said, this is huge! I wouldn't want one bigger.

My nexus 6p and pixel 2xl are the best phones I've ever had. Everything else is so tiny. Like a phone for babies.

As an aside, people get mad when you say that about their small baby phones. I don't know why.

Penis envy, clearly

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Google up reviews of the original HTC EVO 4G, they are hilarious in hindsight

quote:

Several readers have written in to ask if the EVO is comfortably pocketable. That's a tough question to answer because it depends a lot on the size of your pockets. The phone fits fine in my loose-fitting corduroy pants, but it's not going to be pocketable in tighter jeans. Its dimensions make it feel more like a small tablet than a large phone.

quote:

Bigger isn't always better though. Those with small hands and dainty women simply will find the Evo 4G's panel too large. Manly men with big mitts and people that like watching video on their devices will gush over it.

quote:

it's safe to say this thing is the Escalade of smartphones: Big, brash, occasionally clumsy, but there's nothing like being able to stretch your legs out and fit a couple of hookers in the back.

Yeah, I got that EVO, gonna roll in an Escalade with a couple of hookers in the back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q2vjMeEquo

It was a 4.3 inch phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Rastor posted:

My old roommate had one of these and I remember being very envious of it. 4.3" was huge back in the day, most were in the 3-3.7" range. I had the HTC Hero (US version) and the Samsung Moment for a spell. They ended up being pieces of poo poo, as was most of that stuff except the Droids, ironically.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

My Pixel XL is among the best phones I've had.

And I definitely appreciate the extra screen size.

And I definitely hate reaching for the corners.

If I were to go back to a smaller phone:

I would definitely appreciate being able to reach the corners.

I would definitely miss the extra screen size.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Just pulled the trigger on a Moto 5GS. I've never used an unlocked phone before, though. How do you direct calls to it? Do you just switch out the SIM card or am I gonna need to take it down to an AT&T store and ask them to do something?

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

loquacius posted:

Just pulled the trigger on a Moto 5GS. I've never used an unlocked phone before, though. How do you direct calls to it? Do you just switch out the SIM card or am I gonna need to take it down to an AT&T store and ask them to do something?

I bought one of those 2 weeks ago. With T-Mobile, just popped the sim in and was on network 30 seconds later.

You did get the 4gb/64gb version right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Amazon has announced that they are removing lock screen ads on their prime phones because they don't want to interfere with things like fingerprint reader and face recognition.

All prime phones are going up by $20 though, but they should still be cheaper than normal.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

poo poo, I remember myself saying in one of the ancestors of this thread that the Evo was "Comically huge"

Oh those heady days when 3.2" HVGA was baller.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Meydey posted:

I bought one of those 2 weeks ago. With T-Mobile, just popped the sim in and was on network 30 seconds later.

You did get the 4gb/64gb version right?

ofc

I ordered it from Newegg because I didn't want the weird ad version from Amazon, so I'm actually a little peeved to hear they're taking the ads out of those

Newegg's free shipping is just so much slower than Amazon's

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The minimal bezels of modern phones makes the bigger screens so much nicer. Going from a pixel xl to an essential phone was a nice change, it feels like a lot smaller phone enough though the screen isn't really much smaller.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

For the first time in years, I'm actually getting a refund instead of owing hundreds on my taxes!

Google Play posted:

Thank you for your order

Shipment: 1 Pixel 2 (128 GB, Black)

I'm so excited to get rid of my slow-rear end Nexus 6!!

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
I have two android devices (Samsung J3 and Lenovo Tab 4 8) and they have both suddenly stopped connecting my wifi network. There is nothing wrong with the wifi network, as I have another non-android device (windows 7 desktop) connected to the network, with no issues.

Basically, the devices can see the network, but can not connect to it.

I've tried rebooting the router and Tab 4 8, and this allowed the Tab 4 8 to reconnect for a while, but the next morning it was unable to connect again. On the J3, I have tried forgetting/logging back into the network, clearing the app cache, wiping the cache partition, restarting the phone, turning wifi on and off, etc.

Both devices are Android 5.1.1. Advice I've found online suggests wiping the cache and turning off the smart network switch (it is off).

Does anyone have an suggestions on what to try or where to look next?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Rastor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

I don't care!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Rastor posted:

I still have a bionic and it's lapdock from that era, that thing was so painfully slow (tough as nails though).

It really confuses me when I see samsung trying to bring back this sorta poo poo, even if the phones are probably fast enough now.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Lately I've been getting some notifications from Google Play Newsstand about topics I gave no interest in. Is there a way to tell Google I'm not interested in the topic for a given story?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
In Now I hit the 3 dots to the top right of a story and pick one of the block options.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Organ Fiend posted:

I have two android devices (Samsung J3 and Lenovo Tab 4 8) and they have both suddenly stopped connecting my wifi network. There is nothing wrong with the wifi network, as I have another non-android device (windows 7 desktop) connected to the network, with no issues.

Basically, the devices can see the network, but can not connect to it.

I've tried rebooting the router and Tab 4 8, and this allowed the Tab 4 8 to reconnect for a while, but the next morning it was unable to connect again. On the J3, I have tried forgetting/logging back into the network, clearing the app cache, wiping the cache partition, restarting the phone, turning wifi on and off, etc.

Both devices are Android 5.1.1. Advice I've found online suggests wiping the cache and turning off the smart network switch (it is off).

Does anyone have an suggestions on what to try or where to look next?

I have a Samsung tablet that has pretty bad reception on the 5GHz band, some channels being worse than others. Try using 2.4GHz instead. If you're using 2.4GHz, try switching the channel. Also, don't let the router automatically pick channels. The fact that you can temporarily connect is suggesting to me that a new network or appliance (owned by you or a neighbor) could be knocking the tablets offline via interference.

Others in the thread have also complained about some Google Home or Chromecast bug DOSing their home networks. Could be that too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

azurite posted:

Others in the thread have also complained about some Google Home or Chromecast bug DOSing their home networks. Could be that too.

This was fixed in the last stable Play Services update.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

necrotic posted:

In Now I hit the 3 dots to the top right of a story and pick one of the block options.

Yeah, if this were in Now I'd do that, but they're regular notifications.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

hooah posted:

They show up in now with the notification, so I dunno. Maybe clicking the notification will take you to where you can? Would be nice if they added actions for that up in the notification though.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mr. Despair posted:

I still have a bionic and it's lapdock from that era, that thing was so painfully slow (tough as nails though).

It really confuses me when I see samsung trying to bring back this sorta poo poo, even if the phones are probably fast enough now.

The lapdock is neat for hooking up raspberry pis or whatever, but you have to get a couple of cables and adapters. Windows PCs recognize the monitor and kb/mouse.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

hooah posted:

You can expand them down and choose not useful

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Mr. Despair posted:

Heck Moto is probably gonna bring back this sorta poo poo

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Skarsnik posted:

You can expand them down and choose not useful

Nope, I have settings and bookmark as my options. Settings takes me to the overall app settings.

I didn't know the articles show up in Now at the same time. Next time I get one I'll try that route, thanks.

(Phone-posting so couldn't quote you both.)

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

So this is a very specific question that might not be able to be answered by anyone here, but here goes.

Switching from an iPhone to a Galaxy S8. I have all of my Live Photo’s backed up to google photos. On the Galaxy s8, when I download google photos, will I be able to view the Live Photo’s? I know on the Pixel 2, you CAN, just without sound. On my mom’s cheap little BLU phone, it’s just the still picture with no Live Photo feature.

Just wondering if the Galaxy S8 can, since it has a moving picture feature. Also, are the moving photos on the S8 backed up to google photos?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mr. Despair posted:

The minimal bezels of modern phones makes the bigger screens so much nicer. Going from a pixel xl to an essential phone was a nice change, it feels like a lot smaller phone enough though the screen isn't really much smaller.

Yeah, I think the PH-1 is pretty much perfect in dimensions for me

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I have 8.1.0 on my Pixel 2. I just got an update notification for 8.1.0. There's nothing to indicate that it's a normal monthly security patch. Why is google so bad at updates?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Taffer posted:

I have 8.1.0 on my Pixel 2. I just got an update notification for 8.1.0. There's nothing to indicate that it's a normal monthly security patch. Why is google so bad at updates?

Go to the update screen from the notification, it says right there it's a security update.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hardly. I know it's a security update but it's annoyingly obtuse. Why can't it just say "February security update, fixes stability and security issues blah blah"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Taffer posted:

Hardly. I know it's a security update but it's annoyingly obtuse. Why can't it just say "February security update, fixes stability and security issues blah blah"

Why does it matter what the exact title of the update is? The average user won't give a poo poo, all that matter is "update".

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My Moto G5S has arrived and it is totally sweet, that is all

The blush gold is a little pinker than expected but whatev, I'm getting a case anyway

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, I think the PH-1 is pretty much perfect in dimensions for me

Same here. I switched from a Moto X Pure to the essential and it's the exact size I wanted.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So some issues with my Pixel 2 XL:

Sometimes Touch on the lockscreen is...weird. I double tap to wake the phone and if i try to swipe a notification away it just won't do it. I registers the swipe but the notification just stays. I have to try like 5 times until i finally works. Same with unlocking. I need to swipe up very deliberately and from the very button to the very top of the screen to have it finish the unlock. Otherwise it just acts like i stopped to early. Its pretty weird.
Anyone else with these problems?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Shai-Hulud posted:

So some issues with my Pixel 2 XL:

Sometimes Touch on the lockscreen is...weird. I double tap to wake the phone and if i try to swipe a notification away it just won't do it. I registers the swipe but the notification just stays. I have to try like 5 times until i finally works. Same with unlocking. I need to swipe up very deliberately and from the very button to the very top of the screen to have it finish the unlock. Otherwise it just acts like i stopped to early. Its pretty weird.
Anyone else with these problems?

Anecdotal, not Pixel phones: any time I've had touch recognition issues it's been battery/power problems. Are you plugged in and charging at the time? Because a lovely charger causes that sort of thing.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Nah its happening when unplugged. But you remind me of another thing. The charging of the last 10% or so of the battery take pretty loving long. Its not a big deal that its taking longer but it shows like "2 minutes left" for 20 minutes or something while it charges the last 2-3 %.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
That's a feature to protect the battery.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I know. I'd have just thought that the "Time till fully charged" adapts to the slowdown and wouldn't show "aaaaany minute now!" for half an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shai-Hulud posted:

I know. I'd have just thought that the "Time till fully charged" adapts to the slowdown and wouldn't show "aaaaany minute now!" for half an hour.

I've never watched it that closely but the time to fully charged is almost always accurate enough for the few times I've cared.

As to your swipe problem, are you always swiping from the same place or have you tried being closer to the middle or edge to see if that makes any difference?