Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Dear god, I just had some PTSD. Does Microsoft still maintain a current verison of Works?

No. But lots of people still have documents in the format

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Microsoft Works was so loving stupid! Why in god's name would you maintain a completely separate office suite, with less features, and its own loving proprietary file format?
It was only like $49 or $89 instead of $400 like Office. Lots of computers came bundled with it.

Last time someone sent us a WKS file our CEO got all pissed off that it took an hour or two to open it up. Sorry that your associate is using a 15 year old word processor.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I looked it up and Microsoft supported Works until 2009 lol

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
New laptop arrived with win10, lol this os seems very intrusive I've never used it before, is it worth giving a shot before I flatten it and run Linux? I don't do anything that's locked to any one OS

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

shovelbum posted:

New laptop arrived with win10, lol this os seems very intrusive I've never used it before, is it worth giving a shot before I flatten it and run Linux? I don't do anything that's locked to any one OS

No one can answer this question for you really.

Plenty of people think Windows 10 is fine or great and some people think Windows is a dumpster fire.

Based on the tone of your post, you're probably better off just running linux.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

shovelbum posted:

Windows 10... is good

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I like windows 10. Its better than osx at this point.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

shovelbum posted:

If you game at all, yes. Try the Linux Subsystem and throw Ubuntu on it via the Microsoft Store. I am loving Windows 10

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I think linux is cool af but lol if windows10 isn't great

What do you mean by intrusive? I like w10 becsuse most of my interaction with it seems to be proactive rather than reactive

Oh that and the whole "it works well for what i use it for" thing

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wish I could get rid of Cortana without some registry bullshit

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Is the xps 13 really as big of a gamble as the internet portrays it to be?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Google Butt posted:

Is the xps 13 really as big of a gamble as the internet portrays it to be?

It has a 1 year onsite warranty. Buy with a citi card and you will have 3 years.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mu Zeta posted:

Just disable her in via GPO if you have Windows 10 pro. Two clicks and you're done.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
We need a doozy of a horror to talk about on the devil's page

e: Nevermind, thought this was the Coding horrors thread since everyone was talking about MS Works

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 6, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Mu Zeta posted:

Ive never interacted with cortana :shrug:

(Title of my sex tape :sigh: )

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Windows 10 is good if you're running the pro version, disable auto forced updates, disable Cortana and turn off/hide the windows app store bullshit. Then it's just a more performant version of Windows 7 with a dark theme.

Once you scrub away all the bullshit the marketing and "design/ux" departments forced upon the engineering team, it's a fine os. Many Windows versions were bad, but this is a good one under the covers.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Dumb Lowtax posted:

We need a doozy of a horror to talk about on the devil's page

I feel like laptops in general are in a pretty good place right now. I don't know if there's an equivalent to the toilet seat iBook or the exploding Dells of the early aughts we can all point to and laugh at in tyool 2018. I guess Lenovo has its share of bad ideas like the Yoga Book or the Helix, but those machines always seemed more like "hey let's do some limited runs of these design concepts and see what consumers think" than a whole-hog "THIS IS OUR NEW MODEL" kind of presentation.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What was the verdict on these? Are they still made?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

What do you folks think, a new XPS 13 9360 i5-8250u/8gb/128gb/FHD or a certified refurb x1 Carbon 5th i5-7200U/8GB/128GB/FHD? Both prices being equal.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I personally love my Carbon 5th gen.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

FHD? If so, any thoughts on how it compare to the XPS FHD?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah it's FHD. Never used the XPS 13 but it's perfectly serviceable. It's no Apple retina screen though.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

What was the verdict on these? Are they still made?

lol no

The modern replacement isn't bad if you absolutely insist on a touchscreen - sure it's compromised compared to the actual laptop model but you can't avoid that.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Google Butt posted:

What do you folks think, a new XPS 13 9360 i5-8250u/8gb/128gb/FHD or a certified refurb x1 Carbon 5th i5-7200U/8GB/128GB/FHD? Both prices being equal.

They're both fantastic, it's really a question of do you want a really tiny machine or a larger one with a better keyboard

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

They're both fantastic, it's really a question of do you want a really tiny machine or a larger one with a better keyboard

Welp https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht504453

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Any idea how to permanently disable touchscreen functionality on an asus? It keeps loving up and windows whines about an unknown device bwong connected

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Device manager? Look in human interface devices.

I've done the same for my NFC and bluetooth because I have no devices and to save that little bit of battery.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah I no longer recommend it

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
guys I got a chromebook and it kinda rules? I got the Acer R 11, a slick little netbook that turns into the world's clunkiest, unwieldly tablet with a swivel of the hinge

The 11.6 inch screen feels surprisingly roomy and for something that I picked up for $220, the screen is great. It's 720p, which was a little jarring after using 1080p screens on literally everything, from my phone to my work laptop but overall its fine. It's IPS, not a crappy TN panel so it's vibrant enough for what it is. The entire system is snappy as hell for general use and serviceable for online productivity apps. On the keyboard is also weirdly comfortable and satisfying, good job google

It's gonna make for a great bedside device/portable work station. Ha, and to think I was eyeing 1k machines for my portable freelance needs!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah I no longer recommend it

Affected?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

good lord.

this seems like a problem you could quite easily solve yourself by opening the laptop and shaking it real good in case they left a random screw in there by accident, though it's probably the least confidence inspiring recall in modern memory.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

This is a really good deal on a gaming laptop, especially considering RAM and GPU prices in the desktop sector.

https://www.costco.com/.product.1193347.html

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah. And getting support for it seems to be a shitshow. Apparently I have to take it to a service provider and the closest one is really far away.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah. And getting support for it seems to be a shitshow. Apparently I have to take it to a service provider and the closest one is really far away.

Just fix it yourself?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Prescription Combs posted:

Just fix it yourself?

Voids the warranty

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

VulgarandStupid posted:

This is a really good deal on a gaming laptop, especially considering RAM and GPU prices in the desktop sector.

https://www.costco.com/.product.1193347.html

This is a very good deal, and blows the Acer Predator Helios 300 out of the water at this price, plus it has an extended costco warranty.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Google Butt posted:

Voids the warranty

:wrong: Taking the bottom cover off does not.

Edit: After some digging it seems to be the visible screw below the blower fan.

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 7, 2018

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
My friends new Dell XPS has pointer issues. The pointer will randomly move slowly across the screen on its own, usually down/to the left and won't respond to clicking. The trackpad will respond to input after a few seconds but won't allow clicking.

This thing is brand new and it's wildly disconcerting to be experiencing something as basic as flawed input functionality. Any ideas? Different input driver maybe?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

guys I got a chromebook and it kinda rules? I got the Acer R 11, a slick little netbook that turns into the world's clunkiest, unwieldly tablet with a swivel of the hinge

The 11.6 inch screen feels surprisingly roomy and for something that I picked up for $220, the screen is great. It's 720p, which was a little jarring after using 1080p screens on literally everything, from my phone to my work laptop but overall its fine. It's IPS, not a crappy TN panel so it's vibrant enough for what it is. The entire system is snappy as hell for general use and serviceable for online productivity apps. On the keyboard is also weirdly comfortable and satisfying, good job google

It's gonna make for a great bedside device/portable work station. Ha, and to think I was eyeing 1k machines for my portable freelance needs!

Hey, welcome to the club! :hfive: The Chromebook megathread is here if you ever want to chat about anything specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

good lord.

this seems like a problem you could quite easily solve yourself by opening the laptop and shaking it real good in case they left a random screw in there by accident, though it's probably the least confidence inspiring recall in modern memory.

This seems like a common Lenovo problem. These computers are being assembled in North Carolina, IIRC, so it is hard to attribute it to Lenovo cheaping out on labor. Maybe they are cheaping out on quality control.

I used to have a Thinkpad Yoga 12 and they forgot to screw down the hard drive. I dropped my laptop on its side like 4 inches putting it into my case and the small shock caused the hard drive to fall out from the connector lol.