Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
I've slacked on bird photoing for some time, but here are some from a Florida holiday trip.

anhingayum by Justin Cook, on Flickr

pbg1 by Justin Cook, on Flickr

osprey2 by Justin Cook, on Flickr

femalepainted by Justin Cook, on Flickr

prairiewarbler by Justin Cook, on Flickr

loggerheadshrike by Justin Cook, on Flickr

purplegallinule1 by Justin Cook, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I quite like this

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I don't post a ton here because I haven't been out to birds in a while but here's a medium format duck shot with a 150/2.8 lens on portra 400 with a pentax 67.

Ducks by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to do more morning/evening shooting. Unfortunately I didn't check the tide yesterday– it was about a mile out, and so were the birds. This was about the only moderately interesting bird shot I got.

Meeker Slough peep flights-2057 on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I found some Great Grey Owls this past weekend

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I'm trying to do more morning/evening shooting. Unfortunately I didn't check the tide yesterday– it was about a mile out, and so were the birds. This was about the only moderately interesting bird shot I got.

Meeker Slough peep flights-2057 on Flickr
I like these kinds of shots. Something peaceful about it.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Those owls! :perfect:

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

TheMirage posted:

I've slacked on bird photoing for some time, but here are some from a Florida holiday trip.

anhingayum by Justin Cook, on Flickr

pbg1 by Justin Cook, on Flickr

osprey2 by Justin Cook, on Flickr

femalepainted by Justin Cook, on Flickr

prairiewarbler by Justin Cook, on Flickr

loggerheadshrike by Justin Cook, on Flickr

purplegallinule1 by Justin Cook, on Flickr

Wow. I really need your camera. :swoon:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Raptor by B. B., on Flickr

Raptor2 by B. B., on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

Raptor by B. B., on Flickr

Raptor2 by B. B., on Flickr

Love these... And Internet Junky, your owls are always perfection

Arrowhead Marsh Snowy through reeds-2537 on Flickr

Arrowhead Marsh Anna's Male-2683 on Flickr

Arrowhead Marsh Ridgeways Rail-2456 on Flickr

Arrowhead Marsh Sora-2787 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I hope I can find this nest again in a few days...

Tilden Hummer Nest-3073 on Flickr

Tilden Hummer Nest-3078 on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

White Ducks by Caleb Brian, on Flickr

Kookaburra by Caleb Brian, on Flickr

Kookaburra with Lunch by Caleb Brian, on Flickr

Kookaburra with Lunch Stolen by Caleb Brian, on Flickr

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Kookaburras are so cool.

Here is one of mine from today:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Tilden Brown Creeper-3251 on Flickr

Tilden YB Sapsucker reprocessed-3195 on Flickr

Tilden singing junco berry bush-3152 on Flickr

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Here are some birds.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Time for another big post, was a nice sunny day (despite being -20) so I went out birding

Went to the park to look for Grosbeaks, not too many out, and no males
Pine Grosbeak by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Pine Grosbeak by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

On the way out of the park I came across a flock of Waxwings
Bohemian Waxwing by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Went to the terminal, no action when I arrived, the guys there said the rough-legged hawk had made a couple low passes then went north, so I went around to the back side to see if was on any one the poles. It wasn't, but the bald eagle was

Bald Eagle by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

When I got back, a provincial biologist had arrived with a Peregrine, it had a dislocated shoulder when it was young, so it doesn't hunt, just used to teach the local school kids

Peregrine Falcon by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Shortly thereafter, a new Prairie Falcon showed up, it came in so low I thought it was the Roughie at first. This one is a juvenile with a really erratic hunting style, really unlike the other Prairies I've seen hunt here over the past couple years. It was hunting really close to the building and would be going through all the metal structures making tracking a real pain in the rear end. On several occasions it would kinda bounce off the brick and launch itself downward. It didn't pause very long between hunting attempts, maybe 5 min rest at most, and on it's fourth attempt it caught a pigeon

Prairie Falcon by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

2 min or so later, the eagle came off it's pole and made a couple lazy passes

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Cross posting from the Canon thread, as this is the more appropriate place:

President Beep posted:

Just got back from vacation in Florida. Had blast and took tons of pictures.

It turns out that the larger birds down there are a lot easier to photograph than the skittish little fuckers that inhabit my back yard.

I really started to put some effort into my bird shots while on vacation. I think I’m hooked now. :ohdear:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Here’s another one. This guy was a major show off.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Florida has some awesome spots for bird photography. Nice shots!

And goddamn neckbeard- those are amazing.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Love the Prairie Falcon sequence, neckbeard.

And yep President Beep, it's easy to catch the bug. :)

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I have been having some great success finding and shooting owls recently

Nice series, but this one in particular really stands out to me. Beautiful.

Love this, that's a great pose and it's well captured.

neckbeard posted:

Time for another big post, was a nice sunny day (despite being -20) so I went out birding
Great set, especially from the terminal. I need to get out there and see this Roughy in action.

I really like this shot -- was this shot through a window?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Kenshin posted:

Love the Prairie Falcon sequence, neckbeard.

And yep President Beep, it's easy to catch the bug. :)

Now I just need a longer lens, and also a better body--I kept bouncing off my Rebel's buffer, and also a good tripod...

:homebrew:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

InternetJunky posted:

Love this, that's a great pose and it's well captured.

Great set, especially from the terminal. I need to get out there and see this Roughy in action.

Thanks, Don was saying he saw you out on Friday or Saturday. I think I might try heading up north for Great Greys next weekend

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

neckbeard posted:

Thanks, Don was saying he saw you out on Friday or Saturday. I think I might try heading up north for Great Greys next weekend
If you're going for owls next weekend let me know. Two cars looking for them is a lot more efficient. Also, we have a new spot for some greys (and hawk owls) if the usual area is empty.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

InternetJunky posted:

I really like this shot -- was this shot through a window?

Thanks! No, I think it must have been a sunny branch in the foreground (although I didn't notice it at the time). It was fun watching this guy tending to his sap lines at fairly close range, but he mostly stayed in the shadows or behind big tangles of branches. Yellow-bellied is vagrant here so my first goal was just to get ID photos.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

President Beep posted:

Here’s another one. This guy was a major show off.

They're dumber than a sack of potatoes and completely unafraid of humans (these may be related). I'm a Florida native and I hate these endangered fuckers.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Cythereal posted:

They're dumber than a sack of potatoes and completely unafraid of humans (these may be related). I'm a Florida native and I hate these endangered fuckers.

They were walking around like they owned the goddamned place, that's for sure. I'm a yankee from the frozen north, so seeing these guys strut around was really cool and novel.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I saw someone try to hand feed one at Reifel bird sanctuary near Vancouver. At first glance you might not sure who was dumber, the bird or the person. But when this monster bird jabbed its 8" long dagger beak into the person's hand, the answer was pretty clear.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

I saw someone try to hand feed one at Reifel bird sanctuary near Vancouver.

:stare:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Faaaaabulous! I've only ever seen Cedars around here, it's rare to get a Bohemian in Toronto. They're so glam!

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Current problem -- which picture do I pick for printing?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

This one. The takeoff from the wooden fencepost grounds the image and gives us a reference point as to what is occurring rather than "owl in flight"

I understand your dilemma, though, those are all beautiful.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Finger Prince posted:

I saw someone try to hand feed one at Reifel bird sanctuary near Vancouver. At first glance you might not sure who was dumber, the bird or the person. But when this monster bird jabbed its 8" long dagger beak into the person's hand, the answer was pretty clear.

My closest encounter with Sandhills was at Reifel, so I 100% believe this story. Pretty unnerving to have birds that tall walk right past you on a nature trail.

e: I agree with Kenshin re: picking an owl photo. I'd put the first one as a close second. They are all beyond great but I think the first two check more boxes for me.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 12, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

I like this one the most. Seeing both wings makes the bird look more three dimensional to me. Not quite so perfectly side on.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

InternetJunky posted:

I love this one.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Am I really the rear end in a top hat who has to post after an Internet Junky dump, gently caress.

Went to a new place today - not a lot of birds but they were pretty close so that's cool. Not sure what the black bird is (a blackbird?).

Just trying some photo compositing.

Colony Farm (4 of 4) by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Colony Farm (3 of 4) by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Colony Farm (1 of 4) by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Not sure what the black bird is (a blackbird?).
Looks like a tri-colored blackbird from that band of yellow next to the red

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Thanks for the feedback.

Kenshin posted:

This one. The takeoff from the wooden fencepost grounds the image and gives us a reference point as to what is occurring rather than "owl in flight"

e: I agree with Kenshin re: picking an owl photo. I'd put the first one as a close second. They are all beyond great but I think the first two check more boxes for me.
Yeah, the first one stuck out at me too...

President Beep posted:

I like this one the most. Seeing both wings makes the bird look more three dimensional to me. Not quite so perfectly side on.
Hmmm, good point and I agree...

Pablo Bluth posted:

I love this one.
Well poo poo

I guess it's a good problem to have.

VelociBacon posted:

Am I really the rear end in a top hat who has to post after an Internet Junky dump, gently caress.

Went to a new place today - not a lot of birds but they were pretty close so that's cool. Not sure what the black bird is (a blackbird?).

Just trying some photo compositing.
Sorry! There's a narrow window mid-Jan - Feb where the owls are plentiful, so I end up with a ton to post.

I like the composite idea. Given that the birds are overlapping a bit did you cut/paste them manually or is there some software that is capable of overlapping them like this? Also, cool tri-coloured blackbird. That's a new one for me.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I had photoshop auto-align the layers and manually cloned them all into one layer.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think that's a red-winged blackbird. Tri-colored has red and white epaulets.

e: Internet Junky, the 1st, 2nd, and either 3rd or 4th make such a great series- I wonder if you can offer those 3 as a package.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I think that's a red-winged blackbird. Tri-colored has red and white epaulets.