Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

It's genre stuff, but good genre stuff.

So fantasy, science-fiction or...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I was really blown away by 52 as my reading of DC continues. What would you recommend I read after this event wise? I think I will go back and read Seven Soldiers of Victory which takes place before that, but wondering where to go next in chronology.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

One Year Later was running concurrently with 52 (and, as the name implies, takes place afterward). There was some decent stuff around then. The Superman series by Johns and Busiek were solid, and the Green Lantern books around then were still good. DEFINITELY pick up the John Rogers Blue Beetle series, and Green Arrow was pretty decent.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

hadji murad posted:

I was really blown away by 52 as my reading of DC continues. What would you recommend I read after this event wise? I think I will go back and read Seven Soldiers of Victory which takes place before that, but wondering where to go next in chronology.

Booster gold

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I definitely enjoyed the "Up, Up, and Away" story in Action/Superman. But keep on reading it afterwards. There's a Legion story that's loving awesome. As is "Escape from Bizarro World."

I liked the "Face the Face" story in Batman/Detective. The new volume of Justice Society of America was enjoyable.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

Was that the one that dunked on BvS really hard? That was real good

Maaaaybe? The main plot was that hollywood was producing a movie about Deadpool.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Thanks. Made notes of those. Will try to pick some up, especially Booster and Beetle during the next DC sale.

Event-wise, where should I be heading after 52? Final Crisis?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

hadji murad posted:

Does Seven Soldiers count as an event?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Read something in-between events. Get on Grant Morrison's Batman since Final Crisis is a huge moment in it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

hadji murad posted:

Thanks. Made notes of those. Will try to pick some up, especially Booster and Beetle during the next DC sale.

I'll second Booster Gold, particularly Geoff Johns' run (the "52 Pick-Up" and "Blue and Gold" collections, covering #1-6, 0, 7-10, and 1,000,000, in that order, in case they put single issues up for sale).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

So fantasy, science-fiction or...?

Mostly spy/crime fiction, actually.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

hadji murad posted:

The Question: The Five Books of Blood

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

Mostly spy/crime fiction, actually.

I like that sort of thing, much more so than science-fiction and fantasy, actually.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

hadji murad posted:

Final Crisis Revelations ties up some of the 52 stuff, and if you're reading FC anyways it's a good tie in

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Is there anyone else in Japanese horror comics like Junji Ito who has English translations and collections easily available?

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Just finished the new issue of Monstress. This series is always so fun , once you get past all the genocide and cannibalism.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've really been craving stories in a Dungeons & Dragons-esque world. Questing, fighting monsters, getting treasure, etc. I've read some Rat Queens and enjoyed the first couple trades, but want something a bit more serious and less irreverent/overtly comedic and adventure-focused.

I was thinking some Conan comics, maybe? Though if that's a good path to go down, I'd want some recommendations for specific trades to pick up.

I'd be up for something more in a D&D world with lots of monsters, a more grounded Robert E. Howard world, or even a far-future/fall of civilization kind of feel. Doesn't have to be a rag-tag band of adventurers but it'd be a bonus.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

I've really been craving stories in a Dungeons & Dragons-esque world. Questing, fighting monsters, getting treasure, etc. I've read some Rat Queens and enjoyed the first couple trades, but want something a bit more serious and less irreverent/overtly comedic and adventure-focused.

I was thinking some Conan comics, maybe? Though if that's a good path to go down, I'd want some recommendations for specific trades to pick up.

I'd be up for something more in a D&D world with lots of monsters, a more grounded Robert E. Howard world, or even a far-future/fall of civilization kind of feel. Doesn't have to be a rag-tag band of adventurers but it'd be a bonus.

Have you read the John Rogers run on the actual licensed D&D book from IDW?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
That's more of a webcomic thing. Order of the Stick? Or maybe Guilded Age? Cucumber Quest? Those are somewhat humored tho. Unsounded is more serious but I think it has a glacial pace. Rice Boy doesn't quite fit your bill but it's a fantastic fantasy story with entirely original setting and races, no orcs or elves.

There's Claymore and Berserk on the eastern side too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Samuringa posted:

Rice Boy doesn't quite fit your bill but it's a fantastic fantasy story with entirely original setting and races, no orcs or elves.

Rice Boy is great! Order of Tales and Vattu are also great and a little more traditional in narrative structure.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Gaz-L posted:

Have you read the John Rogers run on the actual licensed D&D book from IDW?

Seconding this recommendation (but it does have a lot of humor).

Also, Birthright is really good, but it's more of a Masters of the Universe movie deal where the people from the fantastical universe come over here.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Cool, I'll check that out. Definitely more interested in Sword & Sorcery than Sword & Planetary, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was being glib, but the premise is that a kid gets sucked into a universe where he's the chosen one, but instead of following that story it jumps to a year or two ahead when he returns home, fully an adult and having completed his destiny, and his family is ruined because the dad was accused of killing the kid when he disappeared. There are quests and what not and plenty of fantasy elements, but with the "here's how we have to deal with them under the restrictions in the real world" conflict.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So for after over ten years of occasionally trying to read different comics, I finally found one that has engaged me as much as a manga.

Saga is pretty good so far (I'm almost finished with Volume 1).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Seconding this recommendation (but it does have a lot of humor).

True, but only in so much as it does a solid job replicating the kind of adventures an actual D&D campaign creates. And it did seem like Rogers had plans to delve into the tiefling warlock character a bit more seriously before the book was cancelled.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I like Jim Zub’s ongoing D&D miniserieses.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Where should I start with Jonathan Hickman's FF run? I watched the intro video from comicsexplained and that got me interested but a friend just gave me a bunch of the run from around 570-600ish and another few starting with a #1 renumbered series.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SnatchRabbit posted:

Where should I start with Jonathan Hickman's FF run? I watched the intro video from comicsexplained and that got me interested but a friend just gave me a bunch of the run from around 570-600ish and another few starting with a #1 renumbered series.

This looks right: http://comicreadingorder.tumblr.com/post/113054022621/jonathan-hickmans-fantastic-fourff-reading-order

Note that the trades keep the two series split, so while it's *okay* to read a trade of each back and fourth, this is how it's collected in the omnibu and is the correct order.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SnatchRabbit posted:

Dark Reign: Fantastic Four is where you start. Then Fantastic Four 570-588. Then FF 1-11. Then Fantastic Four 600. Then Fantastic Four and FF alternating until both end. Fantastic Four at 611 and FF at 23.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Are there any good comics featuring Wolverine in World War 2? I know there's that one with Widow and Cap, anything else?

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Are there any good comics featuring Wolverine in World War 2? I know there's that one with Widow and Cap, anything else?

That X-Men issue with Cap and Black Widow is probably the best one. There might be some in Wolverine: Origins - the regular series that ran from 2006-2010 - but my memory of that series is really hazy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jedi posted:

There might be some in Wolverine: Origins - the regular series that ran from 2006-2010 - but my memory of that series is really hazy.

gently caress that comic. I wouldn't recommend it to a dog.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Hey guys this humble bundle is full of amazing books you should probably be reading. Only a day left:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/image-expo-comics?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_4

I'm sure some are stinkers, but I really enjoyed Chew, Manhattan Projects, East of West, Southern Bastards, Saga, the Wicked and the Divine, and Sex Criminals.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nevvy Z posted:

Hey guys this humble bundle is full of amazing books you should probably be reading. Only a day left:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/image-expo-comics?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_4

I'm sure some are stinkers, but I really enjoyed Chew, Manhattan Projects, East of West, Southern Bastards, Saga, the Wicked and the Divine, and Sex Criminals.

To quote myself from the indie comics thread:

Endless Mike posted:

Of what I've read:
ODY-C has beautiful art, but the story wasn't great. Might read better in trade.
Descender I dropped but definitely seems like it would read better in trade.
East of West is great, and almost certainly reads better in trade.
I Hate Fairyland is lots of fun.
Chew I read a volume of and enjoyed but never picked up more.
Manhattan Projects is crazy insanity but kind of just stops being made without much of an ending (it's technically still going whenever Hickman and Pitarra feel like doing more)
Paper Girls is great
Saga is excellent, but kind of meandering
The Wicked and the Divine is one of my favorite books being published
Southern Bastards is another favorite, but it's depressing as all hell
Bitch Planet I eventually dropped but it's probably DeConnick's best work
Snotgirl I thought was awful
God Country is pretty interesting and lasts exactly as long as it needs to
I Kill Giants is a must-read imo
Sex Criminals is, again, another of my favorites (and I'm sad that they've suggested there's only another year or so of it)

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

It's been a few years since I read it, but I don't recall it being egregiously offensive. Then again, I only recall the first arc where they showed that Wolverine was the one that tortured Nuke.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Out of curiosity, what comics would you recommend to a dog?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Krypto the Superdog mini-series based off the cartoon.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Skwirl posted:

Out of curiosity, what comics would you recommend to a dog?

A hardcover one?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
IDW's TMNT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
That one issue of Hawkguy.