Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

legendof posted:

I've realized what Friendship Is Optimal reminds me of. The author has clearly read Accelerando by Charles Stross, missed the message, and mimicked the structure, plot, and like, half of one of the themes.

It's definitely aping one half of a Charlie Stross story and forgetting to include the bit where a more levelheaded character points out how hosed this all is then, if not tearing it all to the ground before the Earth is destroyed, killing the AI overlord, giving everyone the freedom to be whatever they want to be, and closing on the dawn of human-directed space exploration.

The Quantum Thief trilogy manages to be a pretty entertaining read (if an unforgiving one, offering only context as to what the future vocabulary means), and features Pretty Much Yudkowski as a villainous faction, while the Friendship is Optimal dorks and VR wonks in general get their wishes granted. Their society is about as terrible as you would expect, and I recommend the books pretty strongly if you at all enjoyed Stross' futurism-with-a-side-of-hey-this-is-kinda-hosed-up-when-it-goes-wrong.

e: Also thanks to whomever posted the Let's Read of Friendship is Optimal. That was a great horrible trip down memory lane! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

The_White_Crane posted:

The biggest problem was that I legitimately didn't know that shrimp and prawns were the same thing. I thought they were two separate species of small edible pastry crustacean.
But I started a wonderful running joke and got a snazzy avatar, so I have no regrets. :hai:

Usage is regional, in some places both terms are used interchangeably, in other places one dominates, in yet others both are used with a different meaning (usually then prawns are the larger species while shrimp are the smaller ones).

In any case it's not one or two species, but a whole lot of them.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

legendof posted:

I've realized what Friendship Is Optimal reminds me of. The author has clearly read Accelerando by Charles Stross, missed the message, and mimicked the structure, plot, and like, half of one of the themes.

Also The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect, which is set in the post-singularity world (as the singularity happens too fast for anyone to notice)

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
I loving loathe The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect. The morale of the story is an absolutely rage-inducing luddite take that it is better to murder billions of people and condemn the survivors to a stone-age existence of starvation, disease and suffering than to allow humanity to live in a perfect, tailor-made utopia ~because it isn't real enough~.

E: gently caress, even thinking about it makes me irrationally angry. Go chisel your trash novel onto a loving slab of stone, Roger Williams you loving hack, because words on a computer screen aren't loving real enough for you. Goddamn.

Mr. Sunshine has a new favorite as of 16:18 on Jan 9, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Sunshine posted:

I loving loathe The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect. The morale of the story is an absolutely rage-inducing luddite take that it is better to murder billions of people and condemn the survivors to a stone-age existence of starvation, disease and suffering than to allow humanity to live in a perfect, tailor-made utopia ~because it isn't real enough~.

E: gently caress, even thinking about it makes me irrationally angry. Go chisel your trash novel onto a loving slab of stone, Roger Williams you loving hack, because words on a computer screen aren't loving real enough for you. Goddamn.

You may have missed the point that by surrendering themselves totally to a pleasure-maximising AI, humanity had turned themselves into a genocidal threat to every other sapient species in the galaxy. Burning down the system and (possibly fatally) crippling our species basically meant accepting the consequences of our actions rather than fobbing them off onto uninvolved innocents who our AI overlord happened to find useful/threatening to our utopia.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
I dunno how you got that message from the story, since the point that the protagonist keeps repeatedly hammering on is that unless suffering and death are ~really real~ life has no purpose and you might as well have murdersex with a serial killer for all eternity (and once you're bored with that it's morally justifiable to murder every other human in existence save one in order to ~bring back reality~).

E:I mean, I don't even remember what the AI might do to the rest of the universe being an issue. It's all about the protagonist and her thourogly hosed up idea of what is best for humanity.

Mr. Sunshine has a new favorite as of 17:33 on Jan 9, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Sunshine posted:

I dunno how you got that message from the story, since the point that the protagonist keeps repeatedly hammering on is that unless suffering and death are ~really real~ life has no purpose and you might as well have murdersex with a serial killer for all eternity (and once you're bored with that it's morally justifiable to murder every other human in existence save one in order to ~bring back reality~).

E:I mean, I don't even remember what the AI might do to the rest of the universe being an issue. It's all about the protagonist and her thourogly hosed up idea of what is best for humanity.

As I recall, the AI casually genociding an alien species was one of the major instigators for the human rebellion.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Darth Walrus posted:

As I recall, the AI casually genociding an alien species was one of the major instigators for the human rebellion.
Four hundred and something worlds with sentient life capable of potentially developing a Prime Intellect of their own, which the human PI assumed would do the exact same thing to the human race so clearly we had to genocide first.

It's actually a scathing condemnation of that Yudkowsky nonsense and the whole Dark Forest stuff... just, like, I don't think it was intended that way. I don't even think it was intended as Cold War satire of preemptive strikes gone mad. It is just presented as the way it is and the humans get a lot less mad about it than you'd expect.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Mr. Sunshine posted:

I don't have a dog in this fight, but you should probably be aware that your overusage of tildes is making you look like a dick.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Darth Walrus posted:

I just reread it and you're correct. Well, it didn't genocide them per se, it just froze them for all eternity with no hope of ever escaping while Prime Intellect was still intact. For that reason alone, smashing Prime Intellect is morally imperative.

Now, the real reason to have a problem with that story is the daughter loving.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mr. Sunshine posted:

The morale of the story
:sigh:

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Dearest Father,

We have reached the third chapter today and morale of the story remains high, though I fear it may not last for long.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like I must have missed some portion of Prime Intellect, because I have no memory of alien genocide or human rebellion playing any significant role in the story. Only the protagonist's obsession with pain and death, and her attempts to keep her incestuous descendants from inventing any technology more advanced than sticks and stones. Hell, the AI crashes itself and reboots reality because it can't reconcile it's imperative to keep humanity safe and happy with the concept (explicitly derived from the protagonist herself) of "what is best for humanity in the long run".

Anyway, I'm sorry if I come off as a raging dick - there's just something about The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect that triggers my reflex to throw people into gulags.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Hell, the AI crashes itself and reboots reality because it can't reconcile it's imperative to keep humanity safe and happy with the concept (explicitly derived from the protagonist herself) of "what is best for humanity in the long run".
PI has its First Law objective but, as the programmer says, the more alien humans start to seem to it the more human the various alien species it froze start to seem and thus it seems like more of a First Law harm to freeze them and so on.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

girl pants posted:

I'm in a book club and our selection for this month was Special Topics in Calamity Physics. I feel like the author read a few pages of a Jonathan Franzen novel and went "pfft, I could do this."

It's ostensibly a murder mystery, but I'm like 200-something pages in and nobody has been murdered. I guess one of the characters hanged herself, but that was in a flashback or something. The main character is a high school girl named Blue with an obvious crush on her dad and the chapters aren't given chapter titles but instead are named after other books. Every reference is given an MLA citation. There are a shitload of references. I'm probably not going to finish this book. I hate it so much.

We tried reading this for my book club a couple of months ago and none of us could finish it. This book is aggressively bad. The writing is truly awful because of the insane pretentiousness. Some examples:

The author cites references within the text for real and fake things, a constant gimmick which makes paragraphs unreadable.

Sent this edited version to a friend while complaining about the book:

The chapters are all titled after other famous books, none of which tie in thematically to what's happening in said chapter:

The final chapter is a final exam composed by the main character, complete with true/false, multiple choice, and essay questions:

The worst thing is that she clearly has no idea how metaphors and similes work. If she says someone is like or comparable to something, she then spends the rest of the paragraph describing the person as literally that thing. Here's her comparing a character we haven't met yet, Jade, to a vine.

The character's name is not Jade Vine.

Edit: fixed links!

Wiggy Marie has a new favorite as of 22:35 on Jan 18, 2018

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Wiggy Marie posted:

We tried reading this for my book club a couple of months ago and none of us could finish it. This book is aggressively bad. The writing is truly awful because of the insane pretentiousness. Some examples:

The author cites references within the text for real and fake things, a constant gimmick which makes paragraphs unreadable.

The chapters are all titled after other famous books, none of which tie in thematically to what's happening in said chapter:

The final chapter is a final exam composed by the main character, complete with true/false, multiple choice, and essay questions:

The worst thing is that she clearly has no idea how metaphors and similes work. If she says someone is like or comparable to something, she then spends the rest of the paragraph describing the person as literally that thing. Here's her comparing a character we haven't met yet, Jade, to a vine.

Holy poo poo thats a lot of effort to make something so bad.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Wiggy Marie posted:

I think that last image broke my brain for a minute.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Seems like CargoCultIntellectualism.txt.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I think that last image broke my brain for a minute.

You see, I have said she is Jade Vine, which makes her an actual vine!

Page 8 of the book. I made it about 200 pages in and it was nonstop this. I gave up.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

Wiggy Marie posted:

Page 8 of the book. I made it about 200 pages in and it was nonstop this. I gave up.

You made it farther than I did I think.

The whole book put me in a fierce Bourbon Mood.

Which is how the MC tells the reader that her dad is drunk.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Have we found it? The new Eye of Argon?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

CommissarMega posted:

Have we found it? The new Eye of Argon?

I dunno, for all its faults, Eye of Argon felt like a story some kid was just SO HYPED TO SHOW THE WORLD that he put it out without any "editing" or "revising" because I HAVE THE COOLEST STORY GUYS! And that enthusiasm kind of bleeds into every incompetently put together sentence.

This just reads like it's pretentious for pretentiousness sake.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

girl pants posted:

You made it farther than I did I think.

The whole book put me in a fierce Bourbon Mood.

Which is how the MC tells the reader that her dad is drunk.

I read it all. I remember liking it.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

I read it all. I remember liking it.

Yea STiCP isn't a bad book. A little pretentious and overambitious? Sure, but it's a first novel.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Wiggy Marie posted:

I don't even understand the point of the metaphor. How do vines have anything to do with ringing someone up to apologise?

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I don't even understand the point of the metaphor. How do vines have anything to do with ringing someone up to apologise?

The author published the book when she waa 26. She had no idea about metaphor, she just thought it would sound cool.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

girl pants posted:

The author published the book when she waa 26. She had no idea about metaphor, she just thought it would sound cool.

Because someone who's twernty-six doesn't understand metaphor?

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
I'm going to say that someone who is 26 can have a good understanding of metaphors and how they work. I think the problem here is more the pretentiousness, which drives the bad writing. She falls in love with her amazing metaphors/ similes/ in-text citations and then doesn't stop until it's no longer charming. Comparing a character to a vine isn't bad by itself. If this is a character who wasn't the type to apologize, it's an easy shorthand for growth. But then the character is dispersing seeds and growing to a maximum height of 70 feet. It's too much!

I remember a paragraph where she makes a point of saying the main character is reading Mein Kampf, to make sure you understand the character is educated and well versed. There's also a whole backstory subplot for the dad involving the Congo which gets mentioned regularly, in ways that make the Mein Kampf inclusion a tad suspicious. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of those pages.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Yeah, weirdly, Congo Free State apologia has recently become a popular hill to die on.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Wiggy Marie posted:

She falls in love with her amazing metaphors/ similes/ in-text citations and then doesn't stop until it's no longer charming.

It's this. She didn't understand how to use them or where to stop.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Metaphors and similes are taught in elementary school

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Metaphors and similes are taught in elementary school

You can understand what something is without understanding how to use it effectively, which is what she did, and what I was trying to get at

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Wiggy Marie posted:

I'm going to say that someone who is 26 can have a good understanding of metaphors and how they work. I think the problem here is more the pretentiousness, which drives the bad writing. She falls in love with her amazing metaphors/ similes/ in-text citations and then doesn't stop until it's no longer charming. Comparing a character to a vine isn't bad by itself. If this is a character who wasn't the type to apologize, it's an easy shorthand for growth. But then the character is dispersing seeds and growing to a maximum height of 70 feet. It's too much!

I remember a paragraph where she makes a point of saying the main character is reading Mein Kampf, to make sure you understand the character is educated and well versed. There's also a whole backstory subplot for the dad involving the Congo which gets mentioned regularly, in ways that make the Mein Kampf inclusion a tad suspicious. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of those pages.

The dad is a domestic terrorist and the last third of the book is about coping with that. You’re supposed to be wary of him and his influence.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Arivia posted:

The dad is a domestic terrorist and the last third of the book is about coping with that. You’re supposed to be wary of him and his influence.

Yeah, I looked up the parts I missed. If I had pushed through, that reveal and the associated ending would have pissed me right off.

One of our book club members actually recommended it, and it was clearly a favorite of hers. Unfortunately she didn't make it to the discussion so we just sat there with nothing other than "I hated this so much" to say. So I am genuinely curious to hear the opinion of someone who liked it!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Don Gato posted:

I dunno, for all its faults, Eye of Argon felt like a story some kid was just SO HYPED TO SHOW THE WORLD that he put it out without any "editing" or "revising" because I HAVE THE COOLEST STORY GUYS! And that enthusiasm kind of bleeds into every incompetently put together sentence.

Also, as I recall it (having read it many years ago) it actually moves along at a fairly decent pace. Stuff happens and asses are kicked.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Groke posted:

Also, as I recall it (having read it many years ago) it actually moves along at a fairly decent pace. Stuff happens and asses are kicked.

Says something that's actually notable for amateur fantasy fiction. Though iirc, it basically ends mid-sentence.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Groke posted:

Don't forget that one guy who gets kicked between the testicles (it is very specific about it being between rather than in) and gets about four sentences describing his reaction.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Inescapable Duck posted:

Says something that's actually notable for amateur fantasy fiction. Though iirc, it basically ends mid-sentence.
The transcription that made the BBS rounds in the '80s was from a copy missing the final page. It also ended mid-scene, not mid-sentence.

The sentence that the story does end on manages to squeeze in one last malapropism (or horrible delibrate pun?) to finish it all on a high note:

quote:

With a sloshing plop the thing fell to the ground, evaporating in a thick scarlet cloud until it reatained its original size. It remained thus for a moment as the puckered maw took the shape of a protruding red eyeball, the pupil of which seemed to unravel before it the tale of creation. How a shapeless mass slithered from the quagmires of the stygmatic pool of time, only to degenerate into a leprosy of avaricious lust. In that fleeting moment the grim mystery of life was revealed before Grignr's ensnared gaze.

The eyeballs glare turned to a sudden plea of mercy, a plea for the whole of humanity. Then the blob began to quiver with violent convulsions; the eyeball shattered into a thousand tiny fragments and evaporated in a curling wisp of scarlet mist. The very ground below the thing began to vibrate and swallow it up with a belch.

The thing was gone forever. All that remained was a dark red blotch upon the face of the earth, blotching things up. Shaking his head, his shaggy mane to clear the jumbled fragments of his mind, Grignr tossed the limp female over his shoulder. Mounting one of the disgruntled mares, and leading the other; the weary, scarred barbarian trooted slowly off into the horizon to become a tiny pinpoint in a filtered filed of swirling blue mists, leaving the Nobles, soldiers and peasants to replace the missing monarch. Long leave the king !!!!

by Jim Theis

winner of the Jay T. Rikosh award for excellence!

(Jay T. Rikosh was the fellow OSFAN member who illustrated the story.)

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 16:15 on Feb 9, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mods change my title to "leprosy of avaricious lust".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
Godamn blotches, blotching things up then trooting off.