Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Every time she posts I wind up looking at Zillow listings in my hometown and I found this today:

It's not absolute insanity like the stuff she finds but something about the way everything is arranged gives me the ughs. It looks like someone was loving around with a preset home in a design program and it somehow accidentally got built.

It screams "upscale residential cult compound" to me, but maybe that's just the white paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That hurts to look at, and I'm using f.lux

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When I picture a virtual hell, I picture the interior of that house.

If you kidnap me and I wake up in that house, I’m spilling all the beans.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Its like a house you'd find in video game, but the needs of a video game designer and a real life human are completely different.

I feel I should be looking for all the little clues and objects that will let me open the front door and escape.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
ZAPHOD:
It’s the wild colour scheme that freaks me. I mean, when you try an’ operate one of these weird black controls which are labelled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to tell you you’ve done it. What is this? Some kind of intergalactic hyper-hearse?

TRILLIAN:
Well perhaps it is.

ARTHUR:
Isn’t there anyway you can control it? You’re making me feel space sick.

FORD:
Time sick. We’re plummeting backwards through time.

ARTHUR:
Oh god! Now I think I really am going to be ill.

ZAPHOD:
Go ahead, we could do with a little colour around the place.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

C.M. Kruger posted:

It screams "upscale residential cult compound" to me, but maybe that's just the white paint.

Yeah, it's like it was built for those mutants in the Planet of the
Apes movie.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'd love to see someone live there for a year without painting just to see where all the dirt marks for regularly used walkways and walls that are touched end up. It would be like a real life heat map of activity

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I think somebody forgot to load the textures.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

couldcareless posted:

I'd love to see someone live there for a year without painting just to see where all the dirt marks for regularly used walkways and walls that are touched end up. It would be like a real life heat map of activity

No need to live there a year, just get my old flatmate in. The answer within 2 months was "below every lightswitch and on every convex corner".

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Every time she posts I wind up looking at Zillow listings in my hometown and I found this today:

It's not absolute insanity like the stuff she finds but something about the way everything is arranged gives me the ughs. It looks like someone was loving around with a preset home in a design program and it somehow accidentally got built.

It looks like the end of a Progressive commercial.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

When Apple fandom goes too far.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
I look at that cavernous living space and think, "I can build a comfortable house within this space."

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Baronjutter posted:

I get having carpets in your in-home stairs, but the big 100% concrete stairwells serving the whole building probably don't need carpet and can just be reasonably finished concrete?

Those stairs need carpet for sound-dampening even more, if they're located in sections where the noise from normal foot traffic is going to carry into residential or business areas that don't expect to deal with it.

My neighbours from the college apartment building I used to live in didn’t want or need to hear me getting in from work at 2 am, and I didn't need to hear them getting up for class at 7 am. Thanks to lovely carpets, neither of us had to hear that.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Sound dampening is like the #1 reason I wouldn't want to live with all hardwood floors, even though the latter has every other advantage. And I have a dog, too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Please elaborate.

Carpet is bad.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have a mix of laminate, Lino, and vinyl with the only carpet being on the stairs. Big rugs are the solution, especially from a hygiene point of view.

I bought my first house at auction, it had new carpets everywhere and for 10 years there was this Smell. It was a damp musty smell and I simply could not find the source. When it was time to sell last year I ripped up the carpet and discovered the underlay had the exact consistency of a sponge cake. When it was torn up I discovered old wet newspaper from 1996 under it.

I’m never having a fully carpeted house again.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
In Finland carpeting was this 70s thing that never caught on, viewed in the same vein as water beds. It's really weird to see how common it is still. One room in my parents house had it, it was their master bedroom. Got ripped out in the 90s for some kinda lino-esque I think.

But anyway seeing carpet being so common elsewhere always gives me a weird mental shock, it's like seeing water beds, or 70s cars, or disco!

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

His Divine Shadow posted:

In Finland carpeting was this 70s thing that never caught on, viewed in the same vein as water beds. It's really weird to see how common it is still. One room in my parents house had it, it was their master bedroom. Got ripped out in the 90s for some kinda lino-esque I think.

But anyway seeing carpet being so common elsewhere always gives me a weird mental shock, it's like seeing water beds, or 70s cars, or disco!

Do you use large rugs, in Finland? Because otherwise, I'm a bit confused about how carpets would have never gotten popular. Asides from being useful for sound-dampening, they're good at keeping the house a little warmer in the winter; even a crappy carpet is usually a few steps above wood floors if it's cold, and it's a massive improvement over stone floors. And a carpet can be fixed in place more easily than a rug.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Rugs and mats are very common, as decoration, like putting them under tables for instance. Never felt cold floors were much an issue here, or cold houses for that matter.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’ve never found wooden floors cold because we wear slippers here.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

His Divine Shadow posted:

Actually, carpet reached its "peak" in the 70s in the US with shag carpeting. Imagine carpet thick enough to need a rake to "comb" it. It's been on its way out since. Well, I don't think it will disappear, but it's definitely become less popular here since then.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

learnincurve posted:

I’ve never found wooden floors cold because we wear slippers here.

Carpet is like slippers for the entire room.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Also socks exist

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
We looked at a house that was pure white like this when we were moving. Every wall, white. All tile and carpet, white. Most furniture, white. It was loving unnerving. We moved in nearby, and we pass the house all the time, and we've noticed all their cars are white, they put up nothing but white Christmas lights, and at Halloween, white pumpkins.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder if they wear tyvek suits at home to keep everything clean

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

moist turtleneck posted:

I wonder if they wear tyvek suits at home to keep everything clean

doesn't everybody?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Slugworth posted:

We looked at a house that was pure white like this when we were moving. Every wall, white. All tile and carpet, white. Most furniture, white. It was loving unnerving. We moved in nearby, and we pass the house all the time, and we've noticed all their cars are white, they put up nothing but white Christmas lights, and at Halloween, white pumpkins.

I am curious about their ethnicity.

If Afro-American, then they will be an attractive contrast when in the rooms.

If they are WASPS, then they will have to keep humming so they can keep track of each other.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It's just this guy and his weird little dog.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bad Munki posted:

Carpet is like slippers for the entire room.

This. Carpet is for rooms you relax in, hard floors are for areas where liquid messes happen. Bathrooms, kitchens, utility rooms, entryways, those are places where hard floors make sense. Everywhere else, give me nice thick soft carpet any day.

The_end
May 17, 2014

wolrah posted:

This. Carpet is for rooms you relax in, hard floors are for areas where liquid messes happen. Bathrooms, kitchens, utility rooms, entryways, those are places where hard floors make sense. Everywhere else, give me nice thick soft carpet any day.

Carpet is gross. Get rugs instead.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Like wall-to-wall rugs? That are tacked down and tucked under the baseboard? Roger that! :smug::smug::smug:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wolrah posted:

I have a kid, therefore liquid messes happen everywhere. Even though she’s 16 now.
That said, I bought bamboo flooring for the living room, ripped out the carpet... then didn’t install the flooring because there’s drywall work to be done and I can’t be arsed to move everything out of the living room. I mean, the TV is in there!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

The_end posted:

Carpet is gross. Get rugs instead.
Seriously. I don't care how clean you think you are in your bedroom and living room. Your carpet is going to have unholy horrors under it after a few years. At least an area rug can be fully cleaned.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah but I can put carpet straight onto my new subfloor, if I put down rugs I have to pay for wood flooring and then cover it up.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have vinyl flooring and Large Rugs in most of my house because I am a poor. It’s good because you can lift the rugs up to clean and if they need replacing you don’t have to shift all the furniture out of the room to do it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Darchangel posted:

I have a kid, therefore liquid messes happen everywhere. Even though she’s 16 now.
That said, I bought bamboo flooring for the living room, ripped out the carpet... then didn’t install the flooring because there’s drywall work to be done and I can’t be arsed to move everything out of the living room. I mean, the TV is in there!

so your living room is just bare concrete/subfloor now?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

FCKGW posted:

so your living room is just bare concrete/subfloor now?

The only way to win the flooring game is not play at all. :aaa:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
just lol if you're not constantly hovering over an abstract void without form or substance

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Splicer posted:

just lol if you're not constantly hovering over an abstract void without form or substance

Well, isn't that just the best description of the last year in the United States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

(Placeholder for a post about the genius merits of tatami from a superior culture)

Nm don't do that, if your kid spills chocolate milk on tatami just once, it's there forever. It's still nice for lazy summer days, but you're also supposed to replace it every 5-10 years.