Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

One big problem with getting back into armoured combat after a decade of not fighting - it's super easy to gently caress up your body. I've been doing heavy shield work for a few weeks to get ready for war at the end of the month, and I have completely boned something in my erector spinae.

:negative:
gently caress. :( Do you have a good sports masseuse around? It might be it's just locking up because you're overworking the muscle and can still be unboned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

quidditch it and quit it posted:

I’ve literally burst out laughing on a train journey because of this thread. God bless you, willie dee, you utter fruitcake.

:grin:

The haters say I'm just looking to merk someone, I get the chance to do so and de-escalate by conversing with someone threatening to kill me, and even that's not good enough. Haters are going to hate no matter what I think. Makes you think.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Can you guys imagine if willie_dee was a cop in America? We'd be applauding his self-restraint. It's all about context.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Think that willie_dee can show some self-restraint and stop gimmick posting?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
willie post the police interview transcripts

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Bragging about not beating up a crazy person is not a praise worthy accomplishment.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Why do I always feel guilty for taking a day off? Ill be going in 4 times this week and I feel like I cheated.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

kimbo305 posted:

willie post the police interview transcripts

I don't have them, they just wanted to know what he was saying and if I thought he would carry out his threats.

JaySB posted:

Bragging about not beating up a crazy person is not a praise worthy accomplishment.

I am not bragging, just proving all the people who claimed I was a thug out to land a big right on any jabroni that crossed my path wrong.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

JaySB posted:

Police departments in America tweet to brag about when they don't shoot an unarmed person having a mental breakdown. Willie_dee is made for this country, I'm telling you all.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The Onion posted:

Insecure, Frustrated Bully With Something To Prove Considering Career In Law Enforcement

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Can you link some video that represents the most style "correct" competition or sparring? YouTube is dominated by form demos, which are way different to the sparring that I found.
Couple of pages back, sorry about the delay.

"Correct" sparring differs quite a bit between the different Federations and Associations as well as the schools/styles. It can run the gamut from essentially Olympic-style Tae Kown Do to something involving strikes, takedowns and ground fighting as I described. Usually the ground fighting aspect has a time limit as well and you'll often see the refs stopping the match and resetting standing up if nothing seems to be happening.

I tried finding good sparring vids, but they seem to be ridiculously rare. Here are a couple to at least give you an idea about what's allowed/expected; skill levels notwithstanding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGj6zyyNG2U This is pretty close to what I was used to. Headgear and shin guards as well as light gloves that'll allow for grappling. Beginners would get larger boxing gloves and sparring was restricted to striking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV8DpJrNhcU This is also a common way of doing it, no headgear means you either can't target the head/face or that it can only be a controlled strike - essentially a light tap. It is essentially a striking match and action stops after takedowns, which are usually leg sweeps, and resets. Also, the dude in black moves like a Street Fighter character and it's awesome.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The low parries to the round kicks make me cringe, because it appears you're allowed to kick as hard as you bloody well please, and that's how you pop an elbow, bust a forearm, or break fingers.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

cigaw posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGj6zyyNG2U This is pretty close to what I was used to. Headgear and shin guards as well as light gloves that'll allow for grappling. Beginners would get larger boxing gloves and sparring was restricted to striking.

Is it the specific ruleset that you like? The level of contact? It seems like a pretty wide open ruleset but with relatively light intensity for a national amateur event.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Hey guys I have a BJJ question maybe some of you can answer. At what point does Ashi Garami become a leg reap? I found myself in this position again this morning but I can see how it turn into a leg reap very easily but I dont know at what point it does. Just want to be careful in case I compete again here soon and Im in that position.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Hey guys I have a BJJ question maybe some of you can answer. At what point does Ashi Garami become a leg reap? I found myself in this position again this morning but I can see how it turn into a leg reap very easily but I dont know at what point it does. Just want to be careful in case I compete again here soon and Im in that position.

Once your outside leg crosses over your opponents leg is how IBJJF judges it.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

Once your outside leg crosses over your opponents leg is how IBJJF judges it.

Seems like that could be very open to interpretation. If your heel is in their crotch then its a gross violation but what if its a little pass center line?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Seems like that could be very open to interpretation. If your heel is in their crotch then its a gross violation but what if its a little pass center line?

Learn to jam your heel into their hip and pinch with your knees instead of crossing over the leg at all. It's mostly up to ref interpretation and if I threw 100$ at a tournament I wouldn't leave it up to ref interperatation.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

Learn to jam your heel into their hip and pinch with your knees instead of crossing over the leg at all. It's mostly up to ref interpretation and if I threw 100$ at a tournament I wouldn't leave it up to ref interperatation.

Thats exactly what happened. I threw my heel into his hip to push him back and maintain some control but somehow it came out and ended up between his legs. It is def something I have to be mindful of.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I once had a ref warn me for reaping my own leg :psyduck:

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Is it the specific ruleset that you like? The level of contact? It seems like a pretty wide open ruleset but with relatively light intensity for a national amateur event.
I do like the ruleset, especially as it accounts for takedowns but limits time on the ground. The intensity and level of contact on the vid is lighter than what I was used to, which would be more similar to amateur Muay Thai or Kyokushin.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-bike-thief-torches-vintage-1210467

The police are doing nothing. The man whose bike this was used parts from his now dead fathers bike. It is very upsetting.

My idea was to pay the ransom and simply find out who owned the bank account, but it turned out they didn't want the money, they were just using it as an excuse to torture the random guys bike they took.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

willie_dee posted:

My idea was to pay the ransom and simply find out who owned the bank account, but it turned out they didn't want the money, they were just using it as an excuse to torture the random guys bike they took.

Not sure this is martial arts related.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

If Willie goes all Bruce Lee as a result it will be.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

They’re practically personally taunting you Willie with their demands for ransom.

What will they do next if you let this stand?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

True, forgive me, I'm rambling and this place normally brings me back down to earth. To much pwo.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Contrary to what you say, the article you linked to lists several things the police have done.

What do you want them to do or what are they not doing that you think they should?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

What do you want them to do or what are they not doing that you think they should?
They should draw their elbows back and in, locking the opponent's torso to keep them from squirming out, before applying the kimura.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

people: This country needs reform within the police department as well as economic and legal reform to remove poverty and a better public education system and to employ a rehabilitation-based strategy rather than a punishment-based strategy in the prison system in order to eliminate crime by removing all of the root causes of it

willie dee: this country needs me to punch people

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Can we get willie_dee into America on an H-1B visa? Lawyers??

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

They should draw their elbows back and in, locking the opponent's torso to keep them from squirming out, before applying the kimura.

Did you watch the latest ufc with the step over during the Kimura? My heart was a flutter.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Neon Belly posted:

Can we get willie_dee into America on an H-1B visa? Lawyers??

Get him on the H,BR visa.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Was Bruce Lee as good as people say he is?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
He wasn't good enough to beat chuck norris imo

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

punk rebel ecks posted:

At what? Acting? He was pretty good.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Which people?

Any gym visit updates?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Demetrius Johnson could beat the piss out of Bruce Lee.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Most people in this thread would kick his rear end pre his meeting of Gene Lebelle.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
tbh I could easily defeat him even now.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Novum posted:

tbh I could easily defeat him even now.

especially even now.

There's a lot of hype surrounding Bruce Lee, but honestly I think he was exceptionally athletically gifted and he had some ideas way ahead of his time, but he wasn't this god of fighting certain people make him to be.

edit: honestly his best gift to martial arts is the following quote "Because of styles people are separated. Research your own experience, absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

and the people more likely to quote him are least likely to follow it is my personal experience.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

That thing about using whatever works is why some people consider him the grandfather of MMA