Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

How much do Leviathans cost? The statline is impressive but the PL is equivalent to a Land Raider Crusader, if the points are too then I'm not that impressed by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Corrode posted:

How much do Leviathans cost? The statline is impressive but the PL is equivalent to a Land Raider Crusader, if the points are too then I'm not that impressed by it.

209 for the chasis and its required double heavy flamers. An extra 50 per Stormcannon, and 60 for the Grav-Flux Bombard...I assume something similar for the melee weapon.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What size pockets should I use in the foam for Primaris dudes?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Uroboros posted:

You're really lucky he didn't completely surround the Land Raider in assault...

Last tournament I got my rhino surrounded by genestealers and lost an entire tactical squad and Tigurius.

The Wulfen only got to my Rhino; he shot up the Crusader so didn't get the chance. The Wulfen did surround my Contemptor after killing my Rhino, but couldn't quite get a long enough turn 1 charge to surround that Rhino either.

PantsOptional posted:

On the one hand, it wouldn’t earn me any friends.

On the other, I usually play at the FLGS, where that “Iron Hands World Eater” dude plays along with one of the Grey Knights dudes from the same tourney, so I feel no shame in putting the Leviathan on the table there.

On the third hand I need to stop looking at Astartes stuff and focus on my bugs.
Oh god that dude. What store?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Uroboros posted:

209 for the chasis and its required double heavy flamers. An extra 50 per Stormcannon, and 60 for the Grav-Flux Bombard...I assume something similar for the melee weapon.

Colour me unimpressed then. It's certainly not bad, but it's not meta-changing good. Probably fun for seal clubbing though.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Corrode posted:

Colour me unimpressed then. It's certainly not bad, but it's not meta-changing good. Probably fun for seal clubbing though.

BS 2+, 2+ Save, Toughness 8, 4++ Invuln, and benefits from Chapter Tactics. 20 Shots at S7 -2 D2 along with 2d6 of overwatch? Even by Beer4theBeerGod's Spreadsheet it is one of the most points efficient units in the game across all target options.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Yeah, that's more shots than if I roll max on all three of my Predators.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Uroboros posted:

BS 2+, 2+ Save, Toughness 8, 4++ Invuln, and benefits from Chapter Tactics. 20 Shots at S7 -2 D2 along with 2d6 of overwatch? Even by Beer4theBeerGod's Spreadsheet it is one of the most points efficient units in the game across all target options.

At 24", with an 8" move. On short edges it's trivial to outrange, on long edges it's harder but far from impossible.

I'm probably biased by looking at it through the lens of Guard where I don't care about assaulting it and I'm bringing a ton of artillery, but if someone plonked down 2 of those opposite me I wouldn't be unhappy.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

SRM posted:

Oh god that dude. What store?

Off the Wall, on the other side of the state. It’s a great place, no one should hold a couple of cheesy dudes against it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PantsOptional posted:

Off the Wall, on the other side of the state. It’s a great place, no one should hold a couple of cheesy dudes against it.

Oh man that's out there, I had no idea there was a game store that way. I've got family around that part of the state so I'll hit it up next time I can.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
After many a game, I have finally decided warp talons are situational at best. True they avoid over watch but to really get them working, your gonna need a drop sorcerer or some lucky rolling.

And then even if they get into combat, they lack the ability to give decent damage output.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Warp Talons exist to let other units get into melee without being shot to ribbons.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Forums Terrorist posted:

Warp Talons exist to let other units get into melee without being shot to ribbons.

True and I love that aspect of them, but what (asides from primarchs) is an effective alpha strike unit to run with them?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Blood-whatevers mostly

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Forums Terrorist posted:

Blood-whatevers mostly

Fine ill spam blood letters, hope your happy Khorne, I'm your bitch now :(

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Fine ill spam blood letters, hope your happy Khorne, I'm your bitch now :(

New thread title, please.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Big ups to a buddy at my local hobby shop who did this Lysander commission for me.

The resin model intimidated me, and I wanted him to look sexy next to the terminators I bought on eBay recently ($6 bucks a model!!!)

A bit too much lighting in that last one, but I've already put them all away (except Lysander, who will be at my desk for the foreseeable future) so yeah.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Corrode posted:

318 with dual Siege Drills, take off 10 points if you take siege claws.

Ranged options are ~309-340, depending on your guns.

The melee one isn't that harsh. Sure it can tank hits and kills what it gets into melee with, but it has to get there.

Grav-flux and Storm Cannon ranged options get nasty. A lot of good shots that hit on 2+.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Crossposting from the mini painting thread:

I'm looking to magnetize my bases and my storage/transport boxes instead of dealing with foam, as Chaos Space Marine stuff is too spikey. I was curious if anyone else has done this. I bought a couple sturdy plastic boxes (Really Useful Boxes brand), but now I need to find the right sized magnets and something to attach them to. So a few questions:

Which size rare earth magnets are perfect for putting under GW bases? I'm looking to do 1 per 25mm/32mm base, 1-2 per 40mm, and 3-4 per 60mm depending on weight.

Anyone have experience with these steel infused sheets? http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/m...and-crafts.html Will they be strong enough for army transportation if they are laid down in each box? Is there a different method people recommend?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I'd probably go the other way around, put washers under the bases and put magnetic strips down in the box.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Liquid Communism posted:

I'd probably go the other way around, put washers under the bases and put magnetic strips down in the box.

This is what I did, works well.

https://www.mcmaster.com is a great source for stuff like magnetic sheeting.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
First game of an escalation league one of my local stores is running was tonight. It took almost 3 hours to do a 750 point game, BA vs guard. He had about 50 infantry and would take tons of time individually tweaking their positioning. I wouldn't call it quite tony levels of deliberately slow, but it took forever.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Cmon, you don't really need to add "like magnetic sheeting" to that sentence. McMaster is a great source for stuff in general.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
https://imgur.com/a/082rJ

Hey nerds, what's this lot of Eldar worth? My brother is looking to sell them off to start Thousand Sons. Reddit traders tend to flake out, so I'm hocking this here, too.

"Bourgeois Grendel" posted:

Eldar for Sale

16 Fire Dragons (metal) (8 Old, 8 new)
2 New FDs w/ melta bombs
3 Exarch w/ Fire Pike (1 Old, 1 new, 1 w/ regular melta gun)
1 Exarch w/ Power Fist
1 Phoenix Lord (Maugan Ra)
9 Warp Spiders
1 WS Exarch
11 Rangers
1 Phoenix Lord Striking Scorpion
7 Striking Scorpions
1 SS Exarch w/ PowerKlaw
1 Dire Avenger Exarch
8 Swooping Hawks (Old, 2 w/o wings)
2 SH Phoenix Lords
1 Autarch
1 Eldrad Ulthran
1 Farseer
3 Warlocks
4 Gun Platforms (3 Star Cannon, 1 Bright Lance) (2 Guardians ea.)
46 Guardians
3 WraithLords (all weapon options)
2 War Walkers
3 Wave Serpents
3 Falcons/Fire Prism (2 FP)
1 WraithKnight
15 WraithGuard
3 Windriders (2 Shuriken Cats, 1 Cannon, 1 missing rider)
4 Vypers (1 back rider missing right arm)
1 Heavy Weapons Platforms (D or Vibro Cannons)
TONS of gun bits

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

https://imgur.com/a/082rJ

Hey nerds, what's this lot of Eldar worth? My brother is looking to sell them off to start Thousand Sons. Reddit traders tend to flake out, so I'm hocking this here, too.

Quite a lot.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

From experience, what items would you recommend from this site? Not sure what kind or size of washers would be needed to fit under and support GW bases. I'm also guessing the "Adhesive-Back Flexible Magnets with Holding Power on One Face" are what I should purchase? If so, are the 1/32" thick sheets strong? The heaviest I will have is a metal Great Unclean One to transport, but everything else is just plastic.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 7, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Geoff Zahn posted:

From experience, what items would you recommend from this site? Not sure what kind or size of washers would be needed to fit under and support GW bases. I'm also guessing the "Adhesive-Back Flexible Magnets with Holding Power on One Face" are what I should purchase? If so, are the 1/32" thick sheets strong? The heaviest I will have is a metal Great Unclean One to transport, but everything else is just plastic.

For my Primaris I used...

5756K56 Flexible Magnets with Holding Power on One Face, Adhesive-Back, 1/16" Thick, 24-3/8" Wide, 1' Length

91090A120 ZINC-PLATED STEEL LARGE-DIAMETER FLAT WASHER, NO. 10 SCREW SIZE, 1" OD, .04"-.06" THICK

Two washers glued together fit well inside a 32mm base, and stick reasonably well to the magnetic sheet. I might consider going thicker on the sheet for even more security. Your metal dude right a bit much unless you use a lot of steel.

Booley posted:

Cmon, you don't really need to add "like magnetic sheeting" to that sentence. McMaster is a great source for stuff in general.

It really is. I love that site.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

So my teammates printed up this Cathedral for our team tournament display. Thoughts on the best way to paint it to contrast with the primary board?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Uroboros posted:

So my teammates printed up this Cathedral for our team tournament display. Thoughts on the best way to paint it to contrast with the primary board?

Any colors that don't clash but also don't blend.

Obvious generic answer is grey building with some dry brushing / inks to make it look weathered and the usual green / grass base but I'd recommend looking at GaleForce Nine for your basing needs.

GW makes excellent plastics but GaleForce are far superior for things like fake rocks, undergrowth, etc.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Marine players, how do you maximise CP in your lists? I have an old DA army that's mostly Deathwing. I haven't used it since 5th, and have started on an 8E list for it but keep ending up with hardly any command points.

I'm starting to realise how lucky I was to be able to pad out detachments with Rippers and Neurothropes and start with ~10 CP every game.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

xtothez posted:

Marine players, how do you maximise CP in your lists? I have an old DA army that's mostly Deathwing. I haven't used it since 5th, and have started on an 8E list for it but keep ending up with hardly any command points.

I'm starting to realise how lucky I was to be able to pad out detachments with Rippers and Neurothropes and start with ~10 CP every game.

Imperial Guard. You can get a naked Battalion for like 180pts, and give one of the officers Kurov's Aquila (which costs a CP but will almost always earn more than that). They also serve as handy speedbumps.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
A 180 Pt. Batallion is absolutely disgusting. I kinda want to do the Kurov's Aquila thing with a Nids/GSC combo, but I feel like that would be looked upon very shamefully in my local shop.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Corrode posted:

Imperial Guard. You can get a naked Battalion for like 180pts, and give one of the officers Kurov's Aquila (which costs a CP but will almost always earn more than that). They also serve as handy speedbumps.

That works out really well as I have about 30 painted cadians plus an unassembled command squad for my GSC army, thanks

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Ultra Carp

Corrode posted:

On a different note, I mentioned posting some whole army pictures at some point and I had the chance to take some of the Guard + hangers on today. Excuse my awful kitchen walls. I have a few more bits on the painting desk - 10 more Scions, another Taurox, and some mortars - but this is substantially it.

Here is Corrode's Imperial Obsession part 1.

All together

Bullgryn

Astra Telepathica and Ratlings

Militarum Tempestus

Imperial Knight

Vendettas

Officers

Infantry + Special Weapons

Autocannons

Lascannons

Basilisks

Hydras + Manticores

Chimeras (RIP)

Baneblade

Assassin town

Inquisition + Priest

:allears: This is the level of Guard I aspire to

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
FYI for Eurogoons

Yesterday the European Parliament passed a piece of legislation called the Geoblocking Regulation. Once it's fully approved, from approximately January 2019 Games Workshop/Third Party retailers will no longer be able to refuse to sell physical products to you based on your Member State of residence, so long as you have that product delivered to a place within the Member State that the website is targeting and facilitate delivery yourself through an intermediary service like Parcel Motel.

Could be handy for picking up cheaper miniatures where there's price disparities between different currencies/countries e.g. a Carnifex Brood from the UK is £55 (€62 at todays exchange rate), whereas for the rest of the Eurozone it's €75. Getting something by Parcel Motel from the UK to Ireland is €4, so you could save about €10 doing that using the free delivery from Games Workshop to the Parcel Motel site in the UK.

Also useful if Games Workshop has distribution arrangements with third party retailers not to sell certain products to certain countries – not sure to what extent that happens or not.

This is the case for more or less any physical product now.

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 7, 2018

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Welp. Buckle up, US and Australia, because we're probably going to have to shoulder the difference.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I look forward to Brexit transitional arrangements suddenly becoming a hot topic in the 40k community, known for its clear-sightedness and level-headed responses to changing circumstances.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
The only reason the intermediary aspect is involved in it is because if they forced them to sell and deliver to you the company would have to register for VAT in the country they're delivering to as well because of the way EU VAT rules works.

You could end up seeing all EU prices being aligned along Western European prices, but that's unlikely to happen in the short term as most people probably aren't savvy enough to take advantage of the new rules. Those in the know will get a good discount until intermediary delivery services become ubiquitous and people really start taking advantage of it on a large scale.

Also businesses operating online interfaces in the EU won't be able to block you from viewing their websites or redirecting you to your own national websites without your express consent - so it's not like they'll be able to go "nuh huh" you can't see it so you can't buy it.

You could see harmonised pricing for online retail and different prices in local stores though, who knows.

e: If the pound sterling takes a tumble, for example, you could probably make some savings from buying from the UK shop.

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 7, 2018

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Corrode posted:

known for its clear-sightedness and level-headed responses to changing circumstances.

Wait are you talking about 40k nerds or Brexiteers now?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Any colors that don't clash but also don't blend.

Obvious generic answer is grey building with some dry brushing / inks to make it look weathered and the usual green / grass base but I'd recommend looking at GaleForce Nine for your basing needs.

GW makes excellent plastics but GaleForce are far superior for things like fake rocks, undergrowth, etc.

Looks like the image didn't display.

Here is what I am working with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

For my Primaris I used...

5756K56 Flexible Magnets with Holding Power on One Face, Adhesive-Back, 1/16" Thick, 24-3/8" Wide, 1' Length

91090A120 ZINC-PLATED STEEL LARGE-DIAMETER FLAT WASHER, NO. 10 SCREW SIZE, 1" OD, .04"-.06" THICK

Two washers glued together fit well inside a 32mm base, and stick reasonably well to the magnetic sheet. I might consider going thicker on the sheet for even more security. Your metal dude right a bit much unless you use a lot of steel.

It really is. I love that site.

Thanks! Couple more questions before I pull the trigger on a purchase: Do the washers add a lot of weight to the models, like would I eventually feel like I'm carrying an all pewter army? Also, how strong is the magnetic attraction - If I were carrying my cases in a car and I had to brake suddenly, would some of the pieces slide around?

I was looking at just putting magnets on the bottom of the models as they would weigh less and then I could customize how much pull force is needed per model, but I will defer to experience with magnetizing models. I figure with magnets on the bases all it takes is one wrong bump on the table to turn a squad into a magnetized battle pile, assuming the magnets are strong enough anyways.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 7, 2018