Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Methanar posted:

Does anyone have hot takes on how to properly do source control and interacting with Kubernetes.

Dumping a bunch of yaml files into a git repo is with a readme.md explaining what they do is... okay. But I'd like to do better. Someone tell me why helm charts should not be used as a deployment mechanism for internally produced applications.

How about things like rolling updates. Should I wrap all of the commands associated with doing rolling upgrades in a jenkins task runner that someone can just click on. Should I wrap helm charts with Jenkins?

We should probably take this to the devops thread or make a kubernetes thread but my hot take is that helm has issues and that spinnaker is too complicated/heavy. It’d be real nice if terraform wasn’t poo poo with kubernetes. There is a place I think for something simpler but to be honest it needs to just be a templeting wrapper for kubectl because things move too fast otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Sickening posted:

When your mother in law buys a house across the street to watch your children so you don’t have to pay for daycare, you get her whatever cable she wants.

When your mother in law buys a house across the street you run. 12 timezones over.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Is February "Official Everybody Be Assholes To IT" Month or something? What the gently caress is going on.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I assume everybody has done the dry January thing and then spent last weekend getting absolutely hammered, to the point they are still getting over the hangovers.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Is February "Official Everybody Be Assholes To IT" Month or something? What the gently caress is going on.

Yeah this. I’m having a fight this month about how I am NOT a BI guy. I’ve tried to help as much as possible but maybe consider replacing the guy that quit that was a dedicated BI guy

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I need to manage internal certificates in a better way than CertExpAlerter. We started using IPSec certificates and now instead of a nice quiet 2-3 emails a week, I'm getting 100-200 a day and I don't care about 99.999% of them.

I've been looking at SCOM and SolarWinds so far. My basic needs are alerting on three domains, preferably at configurable intervals. I'd love to have a dashboard I can make available to other teams. I pretty much just need to know when my internal certs are coming up for expiry so I can bug the appropriate teams if the certificates aren't autorenew.

Educate me!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Kashuno posted:

Yeah this. I’m having a fight this month about how I am NOT a BI guy.

:yikes:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Big interview tomorrow, gotta nail this poo poo. Could result a big ol gently caress you increase in salary. Anyway I can download a second brain?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Inspector_666 posted:

Yes, it is. I’m taking tomorrow as a vacation day because of a bilious, cantankerous, responsibility-shirking gently caress stick who tried to throw me so far under the bus I could see the rear differential.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

we need a story when you calm down

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Re: yesterday's multiple subnets on a VLAN chat - it's very useful if you need to renumber a subnet. Just add the new network address alongside the old, get the routing all working, and then move stuff across at your leisure rather than having to worry about changing addresses and then updating VLAN tags on switch ports.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Sepist posted:

Big interview tomorrow, gotta nail this poo poo. Could result a big ol gently caress you increase in salary. Anyway I can download a second brain?

Adderall or Modafinil.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Sepist posted:

Take CLAM DOWN with you! :pseudo:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Just leave behind his mouth.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Take CLAM DOWN with you! :pseudo:

I only put out on the second date

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

very stable genius posted:

I’m 37 and I don’t quite identify with millennial or generation X. I’m definitely part of the Oregon trail generation. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Trail_Generation

Or as I like to call it, Generation Zork.
It's Xenial. The last generation to not have pervasive technology as children, but to have it as young adults.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/how-old-are-millennials-when-born-generation-x-80s-called-child-of-nineties-a8043806.html

If you were born during hte times in which star wars was being released, congrats! You have the cynicism of gen x and the optimism of millennials! Totes the best of everything.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
3 months ago we had a phishing attack that fooled a lot of people. The admins forced a global AD password update. All done, right?

Passwords expire after 90 days. Today sucked for our desktop guys. And so will May 5th

(Tbh I don't really get why it's hard for our users - I'm in dev - but we have a lot of remote people, people with phone + laptop + iPad, single signon for our call queue and softphones, and changing passwords is always a bit of a clusterfuck I guess.)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Volguus posted:

When your mother in law buys a house across the street you run. 12 timezones over.

Child care where I live is 1200 a month. That buys a lot of happiness.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

You can spot the Gen Xers easily because you'll find us crouched in a corner, rocking back and forth... 401k report clutched in one hand, VHS copy of "Reality Bites" in the other.

drat I didn’t get the memo. My VHS is in grainy EP mode with both If Lucy Fell and Singles taped off HBO.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Fool posted:

we need a story when you calm down

Here’s the timeline of events, slightly out of order due to uncovering of information during unfolding.

User calls because employee’s access hasn’t been updated, and should have been done yesterday. Berates me that what we do or don’t do has knock on effects and she wasn’t able to train her person yesterday and they filed the form a week in advance, so just how early do they actually need to file for us to do our job. I apologize, explain that we’re training a new person, the one who usually does the forms left on maternity leave, we’ll have it done some time today. She complains that some time today isn’t acceptable and she wants it soon, but I have no idea what’s actually required so I refuse to commit beyond "today." More complaints about how she’s paying someone to sit there and do nothing, and this is putting pressure on everyone else. I’m not paid enough for this poo poo, so I offer the contact information for my manager. She says she already has it and hangs up.

I pull up the Staff Change forms for the employee in question and one says to remove a bunch of access, the other is just about moving departments. Really easy actually. Swap his mapped department drive, add the security access for the drive, and email the user that he’s got the basic access for the drive, and non-standard folders just need to be requested and we’ll add them on.

User replies that the form plainly stated to copy X employee’s security groups and basic access is useless. "Plainly stated" and "useless" are direct quotes.

I pull up the form again, verify nothing is mentioned, screen shot it, and ask "where?"

At this point I’m informed that they submitted a New User Form with this information on it. Those forms are only for new users, not transfers.

I’m not at work now, so this next part is slightly muddled up in my brain, but User emails that their department never filled out forms before, they don’t know how, and why did it take us a week to tell them they’d filed the wrong form and it’s still all my fault.

I apologize again, explain these forms are executed manually, so until we go to do the request, we won’t know it’s wrong. Also, forms are done in order of due date, not received date, so it can take time before we get to a form, regardless of how early it’s sent. But, um, I’m confused on this timeline, because the New User request was put in on January 29th, and these staff change requests were put in February 1. How did you know to put those in if we didn’t tell you until yesterday that the New User form was wrong? She was the approver on all 3 forms.

Now smelling a huge rat, I ask one of my co-workers to give themselves access to the mailbox of the co-worker gone on maternity leave. The absent coworker emailed the person who submitted the New User form ON January 29, explaining it was the wrong form and how to file the right one. The right ones were just straight up missing most of what they wanted done.

So the user reamed me out on the phone, and was rude via email, because the forms they approved were the wrong ones first, then incomplete second. Never heard back after asking for clarification about the timeline, but my coworker emailed my boss the email from mat. leave co-worker, so they know User hosed up.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't know but my recent conversations have gone similar too...

Me :) - It was great discussing reviewing the PIM and other Premium Azure AD functionality. Did you have any other questions or should we end the call?
Customer :downs: - No, thank you that was incredibly informative. I did have one last question... *pause*
Me :) - Oh, sure what was that?
Customer :downs: - When are we going to discuss privileged identity management and using cloud based directory services?
Me :) - Azure AD is cloud directory service?
Customer :downs: - Oh, it is? Huh, that's interesting... The cloud is really confusing sometimes... Does it have PIM?
Me :) - (Internal Dialogue - DidI just speak to a wall for the last 15 minutes?)

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 7, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If you are under 26, I hate you so much.

:(

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If you are under 26, I hate you so much.

:(

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Woop I'm Stripe Approved

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Vargatron posted:

I react to the term "millenial" like somebody just called me a racial slur. I'll be 29 in a month.

As stated before, due to overuse of both terms as a way of saying "people I don't like", everyone over 40 is now a boomer and everyone under 40 is a millennial.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
l4d got boomers right

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Truga posted:

l4d got boomers right

I wish we had more L4D boomers in office.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

JHVH-1 posted:

You can run ls a specific file (which you know the name of since you created it)

code:
 touch /tmp/time.txt && ls  --full-time /tmp/time.txt | awk '{print $7}' && rm /tmp/time.txt 
Got me thinking, what about just using something in /proc/ There are plenty of things there that have the current time when you run ls

code:
ls -l --full-time /proc/uptime | awk '{print $7}'
Eh I guess if you just want hours/minutes use ls -lt and $8 but same idea.

If /proc/ is out of reach (or you just don't want to use it), touching a file is the way to go. But you need a filename guaranteed to be pretty unique, just in case. And what better way to do that than to name it for the current time?

code:
export NOW=$(echo `date --rfc-3339=ns`|sed 's/[ :]//g');touch /tmp/$NOW;ls -l /tmp/$NOW|awk '{ print $(NF)ls -l}'|cut -c 11-14|sed 's/^\(.\{2\}\)/\1:/';rm /tmp/$NOW;unset NOW
I would use that in an interview just to gently caress with people.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

mktemp, stat

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Here’s the timeline of events, slightly out of order due to uncovering of information during unfolding.

User calls because employee’s access hasn’t been updated, and should have been done yesterday. Berates me that what we do or don’t do has knock on effects and she wasn’t able to train her person yesterday and they filed the form a week in advance, so just how early do they actually need to file for us to do our job. I apologize, explain that we’re training a new person, the one who usually does the forms left on maternity leave, we’ll have it done some time today. She complains that some time today isn’t acceptable and she wants it soon, but I have no idea what’s actually required so I refuse to commit beyond "today." More complaints about how she’s paying someone to sit there and do nothing, and this is putting pressure on everyone else. I’m not paid enough for this poo poo, so I offer the contact information for my manager. She says she already has it and hangs up.

I pull up the Staff Change forms for the employee in question and one says to remove a bunch of access, the other is just about moving departments. Really easy actually. Swap his mapped department drive, add the security access for the drive, and email the user that he’s got the basic access for the drive, and non-standard folders just need to be requested and we’ll add them on.

User replies that the form plainly stated to copy X employee’s security groups and basic access is useless. "Plainly stated" and "useless" are direct quotes.

I pull up the form again, verify nothing is mentioned, screen shot it, and ask "where?"

At this point I’m informed that they submitted a New User Form with this information on it. Those forms are only for new users, not transfers.

I’m not at work now, so this next part is slightly muddled up in my brain, but User emails that their department never filled out forms before, they don’t know how, and why did it take us a week to tell them they’d filed the wrong form and it’s still all my fault.

I apologize again, explain these forms are executed manually, so until we go to do the request, we won’t know it’s wrong. Also, forms are done in order of due date, not received date, so it can take time before we get to a form, regardless of how early it’s sent. But, um, I’m confused on this timeline, because the New User request was put in on January 29th, and these staff change requests were put in February 1. How did you know to put those in if we didn’t tell you until yesterday that the New User form was wrong? She was the approver on all 3 forms.

Now smelling a huge rat, I ask one of my co-workers to give themselves access to the mailbox of the co-worker gone on maternity leave. The absent coworker emailed the person who submitted the New User form ON January 29, explaining it was the wrong form and how to file the right one. The right ones were just straight up missing most of what they wanted done.

So the user reamed me out on the phone, and was rude via email, because the forms they approved were the wrong ones first, then incomplete second. Never heard back after asking for clarification about the timeline, but my coworker emailed my boss the email from mat. leave co-worker, so they know User hosed up.

I know and feel your pain goon sir. I truly do.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I apologize,

I apologize again,

Found your problem.

You're doing a job at a business. Offering personal apology creates an emotional link between you and the problem the business is having. Sometimes it's unavoidable, sometimes it's a culture thing, but most of the time you should be finding another way to communicate besides an apology.

Practice with me: don't say 'I'm sorry', say
'I see the issue, I will address it immediately'

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Replace"I apologize" with "gently caress you"

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Now smelling a huge rat, I ask one of my co-workers to give themselves access to the mailbox of the co-worker gone on maternity leave.
this company should fire both of you idiots

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dick Trauma posted:

Replace"I apologize" with "gently caress you"

I used to have an exec assistant who liked to end calls with 'gently caress you' instead of 'thank you'. Apparently if you give the president of the agency lap dances, HR will let you get away with poo poo like that.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Before my IT career I worked sales for a small online retailer. If you apologize to customers, they expect something out of you and the business. They smell the weakness and exploit it, and your entire day goes to poo poo because customers do not give a gently caress about you if they can get free stuff.

Turns out coworkers and bosses are the exact same way. So if you never apologize, they can't exploit you (as much) and you come out sounding very authoritative. People tend to respond respectingly to those with authority.

Over time you build this image that you're an expert, your time is valuable, and that they shouldn't bother you with petty poo poo because you're busy. Even if you have no loving clue what you're doing, you waste 30% of your time on YouTube all day, and you bask in the silence of your phone.

Then when you use your free time to solve a problem incredibly fast you become the IT hero.

Apologizing is the fastest way to make your department look incompetent. Don't do it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Found your problem.

You're doing a job at a business. Offering personal apology creates an emotional link between you and the problem the business is having. Sometimes it's unavoidable, sometimes it's a culture thing, but most of the time you should be finding another way to communicate besides an apology.

Practice with me: don't say 'I'm sorry', say
'I see the issue, I will address it immediately'

"Thank you for your patience"

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Before my IT career I worked sales for a small online retailer. If you apologize to customers, they expect something out of you and the business. They smell the weakness and exploit it, and your entire day goes to poo poo because customers do not give a gently caress about you if they can get free stuff.

Turns out coworkers and bosses are the exact same way. So if you never apologize, they can't exploit you (as much) and you come out sounding very authoritative. People tend to respond respectingly to those with authority.

Over time you build this image that you're an expert, your time is valuable, and that they shouldn't bother you with petty poo poo because you're busy. Even if you have no loving clue what you're doing, you waste 30% of your time on YouTube all day, and you bask in the silence of your phone.

Then when you use your free time to solve a problem incredibly fast you become the IT hero.

Apologizing is the fastest way to make your department look incompetent. Don't do it.

You have no idea how true this is some days.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What do you do if you're Canadian?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This is something I've been trying to drill into my coworkers. We're mid-level sysadmins, we don't need to be resetting people's AD passwords because they don't feel like waiting in the helpdesk queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Vargatron posted:

What do you do if you're Canadian?

What's the email equivalent of shitposting?